It's in poor taste, in my opinion, to...

Options

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd say the core issue here is that vaulting exists.

Why not give a static percentile chance that a cover type is won?
    3% the token will be a 4*
    17% chance the token will be a 3*
    80 % chance the token will be a 2*

Once this roll has been made another roll is made using the available selection of characters in that bracket regardless of there's only 6 or 60.

If you want to employ better odds at finding specific characters than use this same exact method but break up the heroic character pools in to 2 or more groups (Heroic and Villains for example or heroes by cover colour if you wanted several). A heroic token could be used on whichever group the player prefers. You'd simply see the number of tokens available to spend. This way you don't need to re-balance things each time more characters are added to the mix. It simplifies the system and the work involved to keep it running smoothly over time.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I don't get it. BP was vaulted when he was rewarded on the very first day of DPDQ, too. No one complained of that except that one guy who sold his daily drop BP just before that, I think. This event is supposed to help players with many undercovered 3*s. The longer you play (before you're a hardened, fully transitioned vet), the more you have. Including Daken, GSBW, BP, She-Hulk and others.

It's not that Daken is vaulted. That's not the problem. As I said before, the problem is that Daken came up a short time (in the order of days or possibly hours) in DPDQ before being unvaulted.

I know this is not malicious, it is just sad.
    Ark wrote:
    You have that choice. If you've been keeping heroic and tacos around you'll be able to roll him when he comes back. Just not right now.

I'm just commenting on the sadness of the situation. If you don't see how the circumstance could provide that sentiment...I don't know what to say. Lol.

You could explain why you think it's sad. Specifically, because I'm missing something.

At this point, I've pretty much beaten it to death. If it's still not hitting home, I simply won't be able to get it in there.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    Options
    I really don't feel bad, if someone had no daken covers they still have none. If they had one, now they have two, not a dramatic increase in power. If they have been hoarding tokens just for Daken to come back so they can finally earn their first cover for him, then they are oddly patient and well informed about which characters they want, yet somehow haven't earned any of his covers to date. This hypothetical player is likely exceedingly rare, and most players either said thank you for the cover I needed or 500 iso, or thank heavens I don't need to scrounge up the HP to add ANOTHER 1 cover 3* to my roster even if it is a pretty good one.

im one of those who has none and will still have none and i dont feel terrible about it, but i will gladly open a slot (#54) for 3* daken. he may not possess the raw power of some 3*s but his true healing make him and patch arguably the most valuable non 4*s to have in terms of sheer farming power. hell i still use tiny daken and patch to farm lightning rounds and early pvp rounds and pve stages. they fill a role no one else can and i cant wait to start building him now that he is finally available to me. he vaulted just as i was getting into the game. i was really hoping hed be a pve reward before his first dpd appearance. im not angry, just saying it would have been nice, and no i dont think anyone at d3 gave it one second of thought to purposefully organize it this way. i had a 2/0/0 gsbw before dpd and now shes a whopping 3/0/0. id gladly trade her for a daken.
  • Fair enough, though I would find it much more sad to feature someone good in the DDQ the day before they are handed out as event rewards. The vault status only affects the lottery and as such makes it not a reliable way to get covers even when the people you want are "in"
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:
    You could explain why you think it's sad. Specifically, because I'm missing something.

At this point, I've pretty much beaten it to death. If it's still not hitting home, I simply won't be able to get it in there.

Chill, I posted both questions right after each other.
    But that's the first time you actually made it clear, so I guess I can kind of see your point. But characters are vaulted for a whole season, so they're obviously going to rotate through DDP while vaulted. Remember that time when there was no DDP? How quickly we're entitled...
  • Arondite
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

But that's the first time you actually made it clear, so I guess I can kind of see your point. But characters are vaulted for a whole season, so they're obviously going to rotate through DDP while vaulted. Remember that time when there was no DDP? How quickly we're entitled...

I get the impression you didn't finish the entire original post before posting, haha. It was pretty well outlined in the original post.

I even pre-empted the "entitlement" comment there, too.

A wee bit more effort next time would go miles.
  • MojoWild
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

I get the impression you didn't finish the entire original post before posting, haha. It was pretty well outlined in the original post.

I even pre-empted the "entitlement" comment there, too.

A wee bit more effort next time would go miles.

It actually wasn't clear to your main point and you saying it was doesn't make it so. I did see the entitlement part and borrowed it.
    Are you going to be totally condescending now when I'm trying to understand your point of view?!
  • Arondite
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Are you going to be totally condescending now when I'm trying to understand your point of view?!

No, in fact - I'm going to totally stop replying.(!!)
  • MojoWild
    Options
    Arondite wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:

No, in fact - I'm going to totally stop replying.(!!)

Well that's a relief. A bit more effort in clarifying your point instead of just saying if you don't understand than too bad, would go as long way as well.
  • I really don't feel bad, if someone had no daken covers they still have none. If they had one, now they have two, not a dramatic increase in power. If they have been hoarding tokens just for Daken to come back so they can finally earn their first cover for him, then they are oddly patient and well informed about which characters they want, yet somehow haven't earned any of his covers to date. This hypothetical player is likely exceedingly rare, and most players either said thank you for the cover I needed or 500 iso, or thank heavens I don't need to scrounge up the HP to add ANOTHER 1 cover 3* to my roster even if it is a pretty good one.

That person is me, we are not just hypothetical. This is my second account because I lost access to my first account, but I knew what I wanted. The top tier characters: thor, bp, patch, and daken.
    112 days in, they were all basically vaulted when I started, and I played the first 2-3 seasons with no chance of getting any of them and played with handicapped access to the character roster, while veteran players
    could use them at any time, any event that I was competing in.

I opened tokens in hopes of getting 4*s and getting essentials waiting for a day in which those characters would come back. Waiting was immensely frustrating, because I knew opening tokens was not getting any covers,
    that I wanted and that was competitive in the 2*-3* progression. And yet if I didn't, I couldn't compete in pve without essentials.

Patch came back after those 2-3 seasons, then thor... and I'm still waiting for daken and bp.... after 112 days. I still think the vaulting is a horrible system that mistreats a great % of players. I don't think
    this instance is lifeshattering, but I also don't think MPQ should be given a free pass.

This unhappy meeting of a daken DPDQ with his release a few days after, is due to "random scheduling". But choosing to do a random DPDQ schedule was a choice. Just because
    you choose to kick a random dog doesn't mean you didn't decide to kick a dog.

This is just one instance of the consequences of the terrible Vaulting System, which is by far the worse thing about this game. I really enjoy MPQ and choose to play in spite of vaulting.
    This is just one straw on the camel's back, but that's how you lose players.

I'm currently in the 3*->4* transition now, and I don't need daken personally, but I need hulk to patch hulk pvp 1000. My hulk is 4/1/1 and my progression is at a standstill. If any developer is listening, vaulting is not a good solution
    and it is not a solved problem, please still work to address this.
  • "Some people are getting something I want, it would be more fair if I got it too or nobody got it at all"
  • Arondite
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    "Some people are getting something I want, it would be more fair if I got it too or nobody got it at all"

Not the point, or even (more precisely), what I said. C'mon guy, you should know better than that, lol.
  • Arondite wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    "Some people are getting something I want, it would be more fair if I got it too or nobody got it at all"

Not the point, or even (more precisely), what I said. C'mon guy, you should know better than that, lol.
    Your point is bad. It's my last old 3* that I want covers for, and I fought hard every chance I got to get my hands on the ones I have. And you want d3 to just hand you one, so you can do a daily and have a second? Please, sir.
  • The DPD rewards are determined randomly in advance so there's no real "thought" going in to who is offered when. It's just a random coincidence.
    Not to mention, Laken will come back up in the rewards eventually any way. It's not like this is your one chance to get him.
  • Arondite
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Your point is bad. It's my last old 3* that I want covers for, and I fought hard every chance I got to get my hands on the ones I have. And you want d3 to just hand you one, so you can do a daily and have a second? Please, sir.

No one asked to be handed jack, and your condescending tone would be better served elsewhere.

Disagreeing with my point doesn't make it a bad one, unless I'm just unaware that you're God and you snuck up on me.

I have a full Daken on my paying account and I love him. I'd love the same opportunity on my F2P account. I'm not asking to be handed anything - on my F2P account I have tons of hoarded tokens and will use them to try to grab Daken. Is that charity? Is using material that I acquired through playing charity to you? Lmao.

Further, you seem to have things twisted. Just because I'm disappointed by the timing (timing, here, guy. Not a matter of charity or opportunity or availability - just timing.) doesn't mean I'm asking for anything to be changed or to be given anything. I'm not a beggar. Try to be just a little respectful, it goes miles. No one asked to be handed anything - or if they did, it certainly wasn't tinykitty-ing me. For instance, if Daken was in tokens right now and I cashed in every single one I had and didn't pull a single Daken, I'd be a happy camper. Why? At least I had the opportunity. You act like I'm seeking a hand out. I'm not seeking anything, certainly not a hand out. I'm sad I didn't have a chance.

**Edit
    From the rest of your posts you've always seemed cool enough, so I don't know if you're having a bad day or just got canned at work or what, but just coming in slinging (inaccurate) insults just isn't cool.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I don't get it. BP was vaulted when he was rewarded on the very first day of DPDQ, too. No one complained of that except that one guy who sold his daily drop BP just before that, I think. This event is supposed to help players with many undercovered 3*s. The longer you play (before you're a hardened, fully transitioned vet), the more you have. Including Daken, GSBW, BP, She-Hulk and others.

It's not that Daken is vaulted. That's not the problem. As I said before, the problem is that Daken came up a short time (in the order of days or possibly hours) in DPDQ before being unvaulted.

Ark wrote:
    You have that choice. If you've been keeping heroic and tacos around you'll be able to roll him when he comes back. Just not right now.

I'm just commenting on the sadness of the situation. If you don't see how the circumstance could provide that sentiment...I don't know what to say. Lol.

It would have been better if people had a chance to earn Daken before he showed up as a required character in DDQ. I think that is the point.

So are the drops for the taco tokens the required characters for the week? If so, I should start saving my taco tokens for times like this when I don't have the required token.
  • MojoWild
    Options
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    locked wrote:

Ark wrote:

It would have been better if people had a chance to earn Daken before he showed up as a required character in DDQ. I think that is the point.

So are the drops for the taco tokens the required characters for the week? If so, I should start saving my taco tokens for times like this when I don't have the required token.

Thank you for providing the eloquent and tactful explanation I was looking for before.

To your question, I believe I saw elsewhere that one group's tokens are not transferable to another group. But yes, the five characters featured in the drop are the ones that will be coming up for those five days.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i could be mad too, but i got a Luke Cage yellow card from a Heroic token, so icon_cool.gif
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The term "distasteful" by the OP connotes all sorts of things that really don't apply to the situation. If DPD rotation is some evil attempt by D3 to laugh at people who don't have the required cover, then perhaps I can see "distaste", but as far as we know it's completely coincidence. The more accurate term in this case is simply "disappointed".

OP seems to imply that this is a relatively minor issue, but it seems like people in this thread (including OP) are getting all worked up for no real reason. So this is just a rant post, let's all treat it as such and move on.
  • I will agree that vaulting was a poor stopgap measure to address the number of characters in tokens and really doesn't do anything to help the average player and actively hinders the progress of some players, and should have been something for the devs to work on fixing from the moment vaulting was added, as it should have been only a system to buy more time until a permanent solution could be implemented.