[POLL] Winfinite?

Options
13»

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    I've used on impossible da nodes at most once per a pve. It's just too slow to use on any regular basis. I can complete at least two nodes in the time it takes to do one like this.

I continue to say the solution is easy. Make mq ' s blue ability purple and vice versa.

There is precedence for purple changing tiles and blue stunning.

Sure, that solution works, until the next time someone gets the great idea of making some color able to change tiles into purple. I'm not fundamentally opposed to powers like Polarity Shift, but MPQ lacks the discipline to make such a skill work overall. When I read this interview they always sound like: "We thought it'd be cool if you can do X" and one day someone is going to think it'd be cool to have green generate yellow AP and forget that Thunder Strike exists, because green generating yellow AP sounds cool! Balance is not about cool stuff. If you want colored AP generation abilities you got to be absolutely certain it cannot loop into itself, so for example green cannot generated targeted yellow due to Thunder Strike, and there's nothing cool about that, but it's something you always have to remember to not screw the game up. For that matter, green cannot generated targeted purple either due to Deceptive Tactics. I have no reason to believe D3 is ever going to be rigorous enough to adhere to rules like 'only purple can change color', since that's not even true now.

if something like that happened, I have faith they'd fix it. I'm guessing winfinite is not being abused enough yet that they feel the need to address it. Probably, that's the product of not enough ppl having her cover maxed or ppl realize the combo is too long and boring.

I don't mind gsbw and mnm purple bc I think those are the main reason use those characters. Both of which are two of the easiest wins on defense.

I like the color changing tile abilities. For that matter, despite the lack of success, I also like the attempt to develop a new mechanic with beast. I like that most characters have different ways of being valuable. My only concern is the track record of if a buff or nerf is needed, it's likely not going to occur any time soon.
  • xequalsy
    xequalsy Posts: 231
    Options
    I mainly use it in PvP to be honest, to get those tasty 40-50 pointers from 270/270 Thorverine teams that I can't seem to beat with my any of my 2*s consistently. Yes, I have to boost (+3b/p at the very least, and often +3 all for 270/270 teams instead of 166/270 or 166/166 teams). The matches seem to take 5 minutes or so (depending on who is featured I guess, since my mystique has like 1 or 2 black covers only), so I haven't really attempted to get that high with this team. However, it's been fairly consistent there with boosts.

In terms of PvE, with my no-one above 94 roster scaling, I've found my Blade/Falcon/X teams usually work fine against goon only nodes, and I usually resort to mnmags/cstorm/hawkeye instead of "winfinite" against tougher 1 villain + goons etc... nodes. During the last gauntlet though, I definitely found that mnmags/mystique did help me win some of the last few nodes in sub 3 that mnmags/cstorm definitely could not (since they run out of gas too quickly and then you die) though it was a pain facing loki in the last few essentials, since unless you stun him, the combo was harder to pull off.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    Yeah, this combo carried me to 1st in the last PvE......for a lousy IW cover, but got my Hood maxed out which is nice. I would use it more often if it didn't take FOREVER. I like XF, Mohawk (to help clear TU tiles), or even Hood with it (to reduce countdown on Mag's red and clear board up a bit). And actually, Cyclops works pretty well with it too. His yellow can help clear out TU and decent damage from black to speed things up (just be careful to convert most of the red tiles so you don't stun him).
  • I debated if I should post here. Mainly because of a "they're going to take my toys away" mentality. But the truth is that scaling in this game is badly broken, and it's not broken in a way that everyone ends up in the same boat. We shouldn't have to resort to exploiting badly designed abilities (from an interaction standpoint) to stay competitive.

Yeah I use this combo all the time. I use it with hood on nodes that don't have quick abilities like daken. I use it with blade or grocket to tank in nodes where I need someone to tank because of quick abilities - ares, daken. I use it with BP for speed on goons, with xforce for nodes with only one hero I have to kill fast. I use it with Cage on ridiculously scaled nodes so match damage doesn't hurt my supports too much.

Honestly, it's one of the two ways I can possibly keep up in pve. The other one can be summed up in one word. Goddess.

Is it too good? Yeah, probably. The thing is, mnmags has the same problem old Cmags had, but to a lesser extent - placing several tiles is just way too good, and it can't be fixed. If you made it random, it would have to be like double the amount of tiles (if you want the ability to continue being good), and that solution generates other problems. GSBW doesn't suffer from the same issues because her tile placer is more expensive - abilities that cost 10 or more are usually more than another turn away, so the consistency suffers. Also you can't channel green into abilities that loop back into purple. And a bunch of high damage skills hit before 11ap.

The worst part is that people who use the combo enough start getting good at it. And trust me, there is such a thing. You get to a point where you're designing multiple criticals in other colors even if you're not critting on blue, which is why I love hood with the pair - collect red and use hood black to accelerate a 3k hit plus a bunch of ap. So not only is the combo probably too good, if you're good at seeing patterns, you can do some pretty diabolical things with the handful of blue tiles you're given.

But eventually it gets old. You get the hang of it and it becomes brainless. Design a big blue critical, infiltration, infiltration, master stroke, master stroke, repeat. And the thing is, if you don't do it, the guys with all lvl 94-110 fully covered 3*s are the only ones that can compete for covers you might actually need - just scan every player in the top pve guilds.

So I'd say it eventually does need to be fixed, but before that's done, we need a solution for the way scaling works in pve. If we're all going to hit every node 6 times with a few hours to go on the subs, it's not really fair if anyone with 166s needs to boost color and all to have a shot.
  • ark123 wrote:
    I debated if I should post here. Mainly because of a "they're going to take my toys away" mentality. But the truth is that scaling in this game is badly broken, and it's not broken in a way that everyone ends up in the same boat. We shouldn't have to resort to exploiting badly designed abilities (from an interaction standpoint) to stay competitive.

Yeah I use this combo all the time. I use it with hood on nodes that don't have quick abilities like daken. I use it with blade or grocket to tank in nodes where I need someone to tank because of quick abilities - ares, daken. I use it with BP for speed on goons, with xforce for nodes with only one hero I have to kill fast. I use it with Cage on ridiculously scaled nodes so match damage doesn't hurt my supports too much.

Honestly, it's one of the two ways I can possibly keep up in pve. The other one can be summed up in one word. Goddess.

Is it too good? Yeah, probably. The thing is, mnmags has the same problem old Cmags had, but to a lesser extent - placing several tiles is just way too good, and it can't be fixed. If you made it random, it would have to be like double the amount of tiles (if you want the ability to continue being good), and that solution generates other problems. GSBW doesn't suffer from the same issues because her tile placer is more expensive - abilities that cost 10 or more are usually more than another turn away, so the consistency suffers. Also you can't channel green into abilities that loop back into purple. And a bunch of high damage skills hit before 11ap.

The worst part is that people who use the combo enough start getting good at it. And trust me, there is such a thing. You get to a point where you're designing multiple criticals in other colors even if you're not critting on blue, which is why I love hood with the pair - collect red and use hood black to accelerate a 3k hit plus a bunch of ap. So not only is the combo probably too good, if you're good at seeing patterns, you can do some pretty diabolical things with the handful of blue tiles you're given.

But eventually it gets old. You get the hang of it and it becomes brainless. Design a big blue critical, infiltration, infiltration, master stroke, master stroke, repeat. And the thing is, if you don't do it, the guys with all lvl 94-110 fully covered 3*s are the only ones that can compete for covers you might actually need - just scan every player in the top pve guilds.

So I'd say it eventually does need to be fixed, but before that's done, we need a solution for the way scaling works in pve. If we're all going to hit every node 6 times with a few hours to go on the subs, it's not really fair if anyone with 166s needs to boost color and all to have a shot.

The enemies are overscaled because people can win in various ways. If nobody can beat a node, the community scaling does seem to work in the opposite direction too if enough people wiped out on something (see Simulator normal, for some inexplicably reason always goes down over time).

Honestly if the enemy doesn't have someone like Daken you can probably always win anyway with some kind of denial based strategy, and it's not necessarily even very slow since X Force can deny a very large amount of AP while doing his offense. It seems to be a bit trivial to use a 2* to go infinite but I don't think just because you need a 4* to quasi-infinite is any better. The root of the cause is that there are an awful a lot of abilities in this game that use X AP and generates more than X AP, sometimes a lot more than X AP. GSBW is the only one where this sort of works but that's because 4 match moves are considered game-winning (e.g. Surgical Strike) so if Deceptive Tactic wins you the game, it's technically not any different than going straight to Surgical Strike and win anyway. If anything GSBW is at least more vulnerable than X Force so her ability to win a match with a 4-match move is not quite as bad. It's not clear to me what the design philsophy of this game on the matches seems to be. If we compare this to MTG, you know that anything that's considered a 'bomb' can win you the game from 4 CMC range, so if a bomb 5 CMC card can infinite, that's okay because infinite is a way you can win. In MPQ, you have a breakdown that looks like this for the 'bomb' X match moves:

2 match - Generally not threatening (ALoTT is probably the strongest 2 match move in terms of damage, and is never capable of killing someone).
    3 match - Generally have a significant impact toward downing a single person (e.g. Fireball, Berserker Rage, X Force is a notable exception that breaks the rule because he's well, X Force).
    4 match - Generally wins you the game.
    5 match - Generally can down a guy from 100% to 0%.

It'd appear the 4 & 5 match moves are reversed in their role. Take a move like TBTI, Righteous Uppercut, Full Blast, and so on. They're strong moves but the limit they can do is down one guy. Bizarrely enough, there are many 4 match moves that can usually win the game outright. Infilltration/Polarity Shift, in this model, are closer to 4 match moves, as while they're 3 match moves they're almost always used to enable a 4 match move. After all, if you're truly only using the match damage on an Infilitration/Polarity Shift loop it's going to take a very long time. That's why people usually have X Force around and once you get enough for a Surgical Strike that's the 4 match move you need to end the game.

I used to speak actively against this combo, but now I'm not really sure. I still think it's dumb, but running a variant of this with X Force and someone else isn't any less dumb. If the game is broken, maybe everyone should be entitled to trivially win stuff because at least that's pretty fair. I'm still hoping they'd some day clean up all the trivial win criterias, but if anything it looks like things are going to go even worse than better. I think the high level match damage changed my persepective a lot, because pretty much every fight that doesn't involve fighting Daken is trivial once they're no longer able to drop 1K match 4s on you. Prior to that there's some vague notion of skill just because the ridiculous match damage tends to break up any kind of cheap combo, but now all cheap combos are easily doable and if they won't fix them, I guess giving them to everyone is the fair thing to do.
  • ark123 wrote:
    I agree with a lot of what you said. I pulled this quote just because I think it gets closest to the heart of the problem, which is how scaling works. When these kinds of things become the norm, and we saw it with Spidey and CMags, scaling just starts going up and up. Eventually you reach a breaking point with your roster, however you have it set up, where your only reasonable option is to use whatever the magic bullet of the moment is because anything else is going to result in a loss that wastes time.

And the catch 22 only gets worse from there. Winning against overscaled enemies basically becomes a binary result, win extremely quickly and take next to no damage or wipe, because almost any hero ability or goon countdown that resolves will kill you dead. Winning this way drives your scaling up way faster than wiping makes it go down (assuming it ever does, mine never has), and community scaling just compounds the problem. Some people may fall into pockets where they aren't effected quite as much, but for the most part it just makes the game tedious and frustrating for everyone.

Nerfing and adjusting characters and combos that fall into this category is really just a band-aid approach. Scaling and how PvE scoring works are the real culprits here. They've continuously tweaked things without ever really fixing anything, and it's probably not something that's truly curable without a major overhaul of the entire system. Since that almost certainly represents way more development time than they're ever going to be prepared to dedicate to something that's not nearly as much of a problem for them as it is for us, we're probably never going to get the fix that we want. All we can really do is keep our fingers crossed and hope they find a better way to make the current system work that's more fair and less painful across the board, which I'm sure is much easier said than done.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The enemies are overscaled because people can win in various ways. If nobody can beat a node, the community scaling does seem to work in the opposite direction too if enough people wiped out on something (see Simulator normal, for some inexplicably reason always goes down over time).

We don't know how scaling works. We have theories with a bunch of exceptions, but when something like the hard sub in Prodigal comes around we all just throw our hands in the air and say "who knows why these start at lvl300 for some people".

What I do know is that there was a point where I had patch as my sole 166 and my scaling was hilarious. I had every 2* maxed and my nodes were all around lvl30-40. Ask my guildies, I went on a tear and got either 1st or 2nd in a bunch of pves one after the other. Then it started getting harder and harder, and now that I have a viable goddess, I have to resort to this combo to do some nodes. It seems like it happened all of the sudden, with no warning, and I've no idea how to make it go down - some people say that the only way is to not play, but I've been running some experiments on my alt account on steam, and skipping 4 pves in a row (and even losing on purpose to initial nodes a bunch of times) hasn't impacted the average level of the nodes in a significant way.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

We don't know how scaling works. We have theories with a bunch of exceptions, but when something like the hard sub in Prodigal comes around we all just throw our hands in the air and say "who knows why these start at lvl300 for some people".

What I do know is that there was a point where I had patch as my sole 166 and my scaling was hilarious. I had every 2* maxed and my nodes were all around lvl30-40. Ask my guildies, I went on a tear and got either 1st or 2nd in a bunch of pves one after the other. Then it started getting harder and harder, and now that I have a viable goddess, I have to resort to this combo to do some nodes. It seems like it happened all of the sudden, with no warning, and I've no idea how to make it go down - some people say that the only way is to not play, but I've been running some experiments on my alt account on steam, and skipping 4 pves in a row (and even losing on purpose to initial nodes a bunch of times) hasn't impacted the average level of the nodes in a significant way.

We don't know how scaling works but it's certainly not going to spontaneously go down when everyone has their variant of 'guaranteed win' combo. Ever since the nerf to high level match damage, there is just nothing the AI can do unless they started with Daken/Blade/OBW (only characters that do match damage as if it's ability damage) to stop you from assembling your cheap combos. It used to be a guy like Loki, The Hood, or even Magneto has a high chance of getting killed while you're trying to assemble your combo so you might actually fail. I'm beating these nodes fairly trivially after the match damage nerf. A lot of the time I don't even need boosts, and I have no reason to believe this is something only I know even though my record in PvE is generally pretty good. And if everyone else knows the same thing, why should scaling ever slow down? The competition for top 10 scores in all my brackets suggests that I am definitely not the only person who has figured this out.