[POLL] Winfinite?

Trisul
Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
(Winfinite is the term for the MNMags/Mystique combo, used to generate an infinite turn at a certain point in the game.)

Hey all,

Some of us are debating how widespread the use of the winfinite combo is in this PvE. I'd appreciate all of your input to get a better idea of the percentage of players using this combo.

Thanks,
Trisul
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I don't like that kind of gimmick team, so I don't use it. I just don't find it fun.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just MNM / MQ isn't really enough for the combo to really be consistent enough: winfinite should be referred to specifically as XF / MNM / MQ. I personally don't use it unless PvE is such that I'm afraid that I will burn all 5 health packs with XF / GT, in which case I will use this combo for the hardest node in the PvP to save some GT packs.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Hmmm... I only use these two in really hard nodes when scaling gets above what my normal teams can take down. Even then it's no guarantee since it really depends on getting the cycle going. Boosting does help to achieve that first cycle of Purple--> Blue. Playing this team can also be slow. So my answer is both yes and no. How should i vote?
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have enough covers for winfinite.

My fall-back team in PvE is usually XForce Daredevil Hood. It'll be cool to see how I handle the last sub of this event.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too slow normally and too risky without boosts in nodes where they might actually be useful. Tried them some in Gauntlet, amusing as a curiosity but tedious after a few times.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Not only don't I use it (with my 1-cover Mystique)... I'm not even sure how it works. Infiltration feeding purple to Polarity Shift feeding blue to Infiltration etc.?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Haven't used Mystique yet this PvE. I did use XF/cMags/Loki a lot against Maggia goons nodes, especially on final clears. They are practically an infinite combo too though, since it was against goons only, I could insert a match move here and there between powers to speed up things.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Initial impressions: Apparently winfinite isn't used all too much by forumites. I'm fairly surprised! Maybe I'm wrong and it's not causing hyper community scaling (and therefore, there's zero urgency to nerf the combo).
    Oldboy wrote:
    Hmmm... I only use these two in really hard nodes when scaling gets above what my normal teams can take down. Even then it's no guarantee since it really depends on getting the cycle going. Boosting does help to achieve that first cycle of Purple--> Blue. Playing this team can also be slow. So my answer is both yes and no. How should i vote?
    That's a situation where yes makes more sense than no. Wish I put a "sometimes" option in.
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Not only don't I use it (with my 1-cover Mystique)... I'm not even sure how it works. Infiltration feeding purple to Polarity Shift feeding blue to Infiltration etc.?
    Yup, you nailed it.
  • I've used on impossible da nodes at most once per a pve. It's just too slow to use on any regular basis. I can complete at least two nodes in the time it takes to do one like this.

I continue to say the solution is easy. Make mq ' s blue ability purple and vice versa.

There is precedence for purple changing tiles and blue stunning.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    For any node it would be useful to have (overscaled nodes where the enemy moves the board) Mags/Mystique are too frail and just waiting to get murdered by a bad cascade. For overscaled goons Cap/Falcon/etc do a decent enough job most of the time. I've occasionally gambled with Mystique letting me get whales off quickly.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2015
    Well NOW I do icon_e_smile.gif

I hadn't figured this combo out myself, but I find that these 2 with my BP are really helping out with the goons that are way out of my league. I've only got 1 XF black cover, so BP seemed like a better choice for all that extra blacktile.png laying around. Of course, Ms. Marvel may not be a bad choice either. Not sure about Mohawk Storm. Seems like her attack tiles would get wiped out quite often. Worth testing.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Mohawk will just fill the board with attack tiles, making Mags' Polarity Shift nearly impossible.

Did not think that through.
  • I've used on impossible da nodes at most once per a pve. It's just too slow to use on any regular basis. I can complete at least two nodes in the time it takes to do one like this.

I continue to say the solution is easy. Make mq ' s blue ability purple and vice versa.

There is precedence for purple changing tiles and blue stunning.

Sure, that solution works, until the next time someone gets the great idea of making some color able to change tiles into purple. I'm not fundamentally opposed to powers like Polarity Shift, but MPQ lacks the discipline to make such a skill work overall. When I read this interview they always sound like: "We thought it'd be cool if you can do X" and one day someone is going to think it'd be cool to have green generate yellow AP and forget that Thunder Strike exists, because green generating yellow AP sounds cool! Balance is not about cool stuff. If you want colored AP generation abilities you got to be absolutely certain it cannot loop into itself, so for example green cannot generated targeted yellow due to Thunder Strike, and there's nothing cool about that, but it's something you always have to remember to not screw the game up. For that matter, green cannot generated targeted purple either due to Deceptive Tactics. I have no reason to believe D3 is ever going to be rigorous enough to adhere to rules like 'only purple can change color', since that's not even true now.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Winfinite is a useful tool for the players to have when needed. Now, if this thread contributes to its nerfing then I'm never speaking to Trisul again! Trisul, you wear your underwear backwards. :p
  • I've only used this during the last Simulator Hard which is when I learned of it, but I haven't found the need since there aren't many nodes XF/4hor/loki couldn't take down (I passed on beating final gauntlet, lol).

This was before they fixed insane match damage on overly scaled villains though and characters like Cage will prob make it easier to mitigate match damage to have these two lovebirds live a bit longer on bad boards. His black outlet is good too I imagine, but I haven't tried that combo out. I probably will break them out once we hit Hell's Kitchen and thunderbolt mountain though if I remember how awful those were last time.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Iron Fist may also be a good 3rd wheel to help with finishing fights faster with these two.
  • Scoregasms wrote:
    I've only used this during the last Simulator Hard which is when I learned of it, but I haven't found the need since there aren't many nodes XF/4hor/loki couldn't take down (I passed on beating final gauntlet, lol).

This was before they fixed insane match damage on overly scaled villains though and characters like Cage will prob make it easier to mitigate match damage to have these two lovebirds live a bit longer on bad boards. His black outlet is good too I imagine, but I haven't tried that combo out. I probably will break them out once we hit Hell's Kitchen and thunderbolt mountain though if I remember how awful those were last time.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Iron Fist may also be a good 3rd wheel to help with finishing fights faster with these two.

It's easier to run this combo because you don't have to worry about someone dropping a 1K match 4 on Magneto who only has 4K health but by the same token now that you don't have to worry about The Hood or Loki getting dropped by the same 1K match 4 you can also just use those guys to fight straight up and it'd likely be faster. This event is probably more ideal for running this setup than most because you don't have Ares or Daken or even Ragnarok who can deliver significant damage to your 2 low HP guys in 2 matches or less and prevent you from assmebling your combo. The Avenger lineup is usually pretty slow on without goon help, though even with goon support Ares + green is still much faster than say, HT + green.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    There are so many teams that are more fun than this to play. If you want to be bored to tears, you can play this team. But if you want to have fun, try some others.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I don't use it. I have all the needed covers but it's way to slow when when enemy health is 20k+. I don't blame anyone who does with this kind of scaling though.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    There are a ton of ways to beat goons so I don't have a problem with it. I don't use it because I don't have all the Mystique blue covers.

If they decided to change one of the characters, I would have MNMags not be able to choose the tiles, because abilities where you can choose the tiles are useless when the AI is representing you. Then buff him a bit to make up for it.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    My normal go-to team against ultra-goons is Cap/Hood/Falcon or Cap/Patch/Falcon. But this time I've tried the M&M combo (with BP as the 3rd) and holy ****... when it works it is truly amazing. I think one of the nice things about it is that you can either go Blue or Purple to get it rolling, giving you less boards that doom you. The downside is that if you don't get it rolling, you can be toast pretty fast. I'm certainly going to play around with it a little bit more and see if it is something that will get added to my repertoire long term.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    My personal favorite "winfinite" combo was Polarity Shift --> Technopathic Strike --> Murderous Aim --> Cold Snap.

The thing about these combos is that they are more fun to discover and explore than they are to actually play. I think that's why very few people use it, even if it is a guaranteed win.