[POLL] Winfinite?

Options

Comments

• There isn't an option for what I want to vote for. "Sometimes, because different teams are fun to play, but not all the time."

It's not even that broken, no more or less than MNM fed Thor or MNM fed Storm. MNM is and will always be a blue battery.

My preferred Winfinite btw: BP/MNM/MQ. BP with infinite black = win, plus the strike tiles are nice on cascades.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tried it for the first time today, sold me on it. Hadn't heard of it until today, and didn't think my 0/5/4 Mystique was viable for anything yet. Use X-force as a board jumble/kill, unreal.

Only for the really hard goon nodes, I think the folks are to wimpy to try the non-goon nodes. But I have run the goon nodes something like 12 times with only one goon tile going off (non fatally) so far, it seems incredibly reliable - and I haven't yet used boosts.
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Options
    I enjoy the combo.

I've tried running Mystique in PvP, and she's just too squishy, so I enjoy having a place that I can play her as the combination oriented character she is designed to be. Her and Mags are just not fast enough as a PvP combo to matter.

If you over use the combo in PvE, your scaling is going to go nuts. The combo isn't 100%. It dies to Caltrops.

I also believe we will start to see more and more speed combos. Cyclops and Iron Fist, while they don't yet have a loop, offer some serious opportunities for speed.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    This poll needs another option:

o I use this when scaling gets out of control with 5 days left in event.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To echo what many others have said --

Yes, I have the covers and've tried it. It's not particularly fun, quick, or satisfying enough to the point where I would call it game-breaking, nor something that would warrant nerfing either character who IMO are just fine for what they respectively do on their own. Plus, they're both very squishy and prone to a quick death if the combo hits a wall on a hard node -- or, an even quicker death (at my hand icon_e_biggrin.gif ) if someone actually tries to use that group in PVP and leaves them as their defensive team.

I applaud all others in this thread for not allowing it to quickly descend into an "OMFG NERF MYSTIQUNETO" ragefest. icon_e_smile.gif The combo works if someone actually wishes to play that way -- but IMO, someone who tries to play that way regularly wouldn't actually be "playing" the game anyway and would likely get bored fast.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm surprised by the initial results and comments as well. Especially the "slow" ones. I pair with patch and it works when i need to clear a really badly scaled goon node in pretty fast order.

Someone mentioned them as the new team White a few months ago and assumed it was the go to when things get bad. Guess it isn't as big of an issue after all or people don't abuse it that much. Though, I've also seen a lot of epiphany posts as well. So maybe we all weren't aware.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find the combo very fun but I wouldn't say it's effectively "infinite". Sometimes you may do everything right, and still be screwed by the placement of the tiles. Moreover, with those two super squishy characters, you are one bad cascade away from losing, so it's better to use it sparingly.
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    My team is normally, XForce/LCap/OBW and I can usually finish off the goon nodes without taking any damage. If I do take damage, XForce usually takes the hit and heals it up later.

I've only learned about this combo now. I'll give it a try and if I can finish lvl270 goon nodes faster than my usual team, I might make use of it this PVE.
  • I'm guilty of having used the MNM/Mystique/BP team. I get great pleasure from getting those cascades that result in 1 or 2 RotP. I'll give it another spin tonight. It isn't my go to team, but I try it when LCap/Falcon are healing up.
  • Put me in the not enough covers yet to try category, since I skipped out for a few months right after Mystique was released and haven't caught up yet. I probably would if I could though. Okay, who am I kidding. Of course I would. icon_razz.gif

But this does remind me of a team I used back about a million character changes ago. Original flavor CMags with the old 5 red Mistress of the Elements 1* Storm and BP for muscle. All you needed was two red or blue matches to start it off and let the cascades and infinite turning wash over you. It took a truly bad board to screw you, and you could always retreat in those cases. Boosts made it a slam dunk, and Jungle or Desert maps just made it hilarious, back when that was actually a thing. Otherwise use all that banked enviro AP from Storm's red to spam Battleplan strike tiles and smash face with RotP and Mags' old purple nuke. Lightning strike if necessary to pick up some extra AP if things got dicey, which was rare. Got me through many a max level goon node. Good times. Didn't really work too well against scaled-up board-movers though. If Storm got caught peeking her squishy little head out for a green match, splat!
  • I don't use it, but plenty of the guys in the alliance who take pve seriously do, for sure. They are very excited by it, if that helps any?

I tend to use a mixture of LDaken/Patch/Hood/Falcon/LCap/3* Storm. Between all that lot I tend to get through a clear if/when I can be bothered to do them all. Pretty over pve right now I must admit, but I have served my time.
  • I use it from time to time with BP because it's a fun team to play with, but I'm not using at all as a cheap trick in a repetitive manner. Before reading this thread I didn't even think about using it in Prodigal Sun.
    Besides, if you're unlucky and the initial board is against you, you end up with having to use three health pack to keep the same team, so I'd say it's hardly an exploit.
  • As others have said, a huge problem is reliability. If you save up enough for multiple casts, you're taking a lot of damage. Sometimes, tiles just won't fall quite right. Have once used the combo and had no available 5-matches or cascading 5's. I was subsequently destroyed by the AI who was in crit-cascade heaven.
  • Magneto and Mystique do work very well vs goon nodes but so do a LOT of hero combos. It's also not the quickest way to win most of the time and when there's a really purple poor board it's frustrating, slow and can easily lose.

Vs Heroes I tend to find that, while the total damage taken isn't enormous, the percentage health loss on Mags and Mystique, who are both very squishy, can really hurt the sustainability of the setup. If there are goons feeding a cheap damage dealing hero ability in a highly scaled node then using winfinite is actually really dicey.

As far as Prodigal sun goes... I used Elektra in every node with a Maggia muscle in it along with some cheap abilities (mix of DP, Luke Cage, Psylocke and Punisher) and i'll bet I was winning my lvl 300+ nodes faster than winifinite users would manage it. 2k in strikes for 7 purple makes for really quick games 8).

Bottom line is it's a very good combo for winning a node, a fairly good combo for sustaining play, a somewhat risky combo for if you get a bad board and above average speed.

I don't think it does anything to community scaling though. It's not THAT prevalent and there are a LOT of ways to beat goon nodes. Most of the times goon nodes are beaten in any given PvE are probably by 2*s or fairly vanilla 3*s. A few extra wins here and there from players using winfinite probably has no real impact and I reckon just about all of those players would have still got the same number of wins using other heroes if winfinite wasn't there to exploit.
  • Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Personally, I use Daken-Falcon, with a combination of Thor, Cap, Hood, Spiderman (if I want defence tiles too) as the 3rd person in this pve. I also kind of don't like Mystique as a character... So I choose not to use her as often as say Rocket and Groot, who I think are awesome, even if they are only semi-useful
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just learned about this lately. There are a couple other options but maybe not as infinite (like She Hulk/GSBW/Mohawk). I'll be honest and say that I have run this type of team a few times for the laughs at just pulling it off and something different. But for me its more of a grind to pull it off (low damage - longer match). It's more fun I guess then just using 4Thor/XF every match. I prefer the Stabby Wings team best though for PVE at least until I can get Cage up to a respectable level.
  • Just for fun in the last pvp, I used my 94 mags/myst to climb to 800. Sure you have to boost to kill the 270 XF/Thor teams, but I would have to boost anyways. I've found cyclops works well for the black and clearing team up tiles.

Plus I always hope they aren't shielded so they see who they lost too at 800. Granted you get hit, but in the 6 games to get to 800, I only got hit twice.
  • No, I don't since my Mystique only has 1 cover.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I picked yes just because it's more accurate to say that I use it than that I don't. But I only use it if I'm in a pinch.

For instance, the hardest goon nodes overwhelmed my Daken-Blade-Falcon yesterday, so I went to the combo to deal with them. The last time before that was in Simulator.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll use it as one of my teams for some of the harder nodes, but that is just to rotate teams and preserve health packs in the final grind. I can usually only get about 3-4 matches in before I would have to use a health pack on Mystique due to match damage, at which point I switch to a different team. They are unnecessary for goon only nodes, as there are many other ways to deal with them.