Overhaul the cover lottery

Comments

• Have you gathered as many as you can from the prologue? There are quite a few scattered about, though some of the missions may be a bit tough.
  • Misguided wrote:
    Have you gathered as many as you can from the prologue? There are quite a few scattered about, though some of the missions may be a bit tough.

If this was a reply to me, then no, I havent managed to get them all yet, that is one of the things that is annoying me. Having to replay countless times only for a 20 ISO reward, I played the last Daken level in the Juggernaught Missions about 8 times last night, I still have 3 out of 4 rewards to get and all i got in those 8 attempts was 20 ISO each time!
    I'm not really complaining as such, it just frustrates me.
  • I wouldn't say the tokens are bad or useless per se, but i agree the system needs some polishing especially for the people that are in a limbo trying to transition between 2* and 3* characters.

My experience, having a varied roster with several 2* maxed out is that tokens are really good when you start making your roster, but then quickly lose their appeal because the chances of getting something useful start is diluted quickly (for example, i still havent got a single red or black cover for hulk, but i have 5 green!). I have gotten several 3* covers from normal tokens and it's amazing when it happens. But cashing in 40 tokens to receive mostly im35, bw, modern storm, etc. is indeed frustrating. Some days ago did the same for about 15 heroic tokens and i think i got 1 usable cover from that experience.

I would totally support a trading system for an increased chance to get some specific heroes. Like other people already suggested, trading 10 normal tokens for 1 heroic, 10 heroic for 1 super heroic, etc. I think it would even be better if you could trade lesser tokens for a chance at getting specific characters. Something like x-men tokens, dark avenger tokens, maybe "latest released heroes" tokens, etc. I think like this would smooth the transition for people like me who have a reasonably good roster, but still can't compete to get top 10 and get rarest covers.

TL;DR: The tokens are great for newcomers, but lose appeal the more you play. I support some method of "upgrading" tokens by trading some number of normal (let's say 10) tokens for 1 heroic or something like that.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Yeah, the gold tokens are useless as they are. I wish there were a 'crafting' option: fuse X (say 10) heroic tokens to one superheroic that gives only ***+. (simple UI, have some more buttons with numbers.

And I keep begging that cover distribution used by the lottery got revealed.

To be fair, according to the spreadsheet on recruit token probability, you have a ~20% chance of a 3 star. So 10 tokens should already get you one, unless you are really unlucky.
  • The PACman wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    Have you gathered as many as you can from the prologue? There are quite a few scattered about, though some of the missions may be a bit tough.

If this was a reply to me, then no, I havent managed to get them all yet, that is one of the things that is annoying me. Having to replay countless times only for a 20 ISO reward, I played the last Daken level in the Juggernaught Missions about 8 times last night, I still have 3 out of 4 rewards to get and all i got in those 8 attempts was 20 ISO each time!

Yeah, it can be annoying at times, for sure. Funny I had the same thing happen on that particular mission. It's worth it, though.
  • Rather than swap tokens for better tokens, I'd rather see a Horadric Cube feature for covers into tokens. Take 3-4 unwanted covers of the same rarity and fuse them into a Token of that rarity. This allows productive use of covers without diluting the economy with additional HP (which they won't give away because the whole point is to make them progressively harder to acquire until the player <s>quits in frustration exercises their option to purchase HPs for real money</s> pays to win) Standard covers essentially work this way because any five 1* covers can be sold for Iso-8, and converted into a Standard Token. 2* Covers should similarly convert at some reasonable ratio back into Heroic Tokens, and similarly with 3*s into [whatever a 3* token is called]. It really should be that 3-4 covers of Hero X convert into Hero X cover of your choice, or even random cover of Hero X, but these features are far too playable to ever be considered.

Currently, it takes infinity 2* Covers to convert into a 2* token, although you should net roughly another 2* cover at a 30:1 ratio by conversion back to Standard. 3* Covers convert into Covers of choice at 20:1 - 50:1 by conversion into HP.
  • Misguided wrote:
    The PACman wrote:
    Misguided wrote:

Yeah, it can be annoying at times, for sure. Funny I had the same thing happen on that particular mission. It's worth it, though.

Thanks Misguided, I will carry on banging my head against this Daken shaped wall until it gives up it's Hero Points.

Just want to say sorry to the OP if he is still around for going off topic icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Cover changes I would like to see.

1. Allow trading of covers within an alliance.

2. Add ability to sell covers on a marketplace where game makers take a cut.

3. Allow a person to sell/trade a cover when you receive it instead of navigating to another menu.

4. Allow a person to combine covers in order to make a better cover. Ergo – Combining 3xOne Star Covers to make a random Two Star Cover. Combining 7xTwo Star Covers to make a Three Star Cover, etc..
  • I like the idea of combining covers for a better token. (5-10) 1* for a 2* token. and even 5-10 2* token for an event token.

if not, maybe add a feature to use 10 recruit tokens at one time.
  • Leugenesmiff
    Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    The current system encourages me and a lot of players not to spend money. I just won a heroic ten pack, something that had I bought the hero points to buy it from the store would have cost me almost $20 (and that's for this first, daily discounted one.) From that pack I got one 3*, a lazy Cap I don't need, and the rest were duplicate 2* throwaways.
    The funny thing is that I would be happy to spend money on this game if there was a reasonably affordable way to get the covers that I want. I want to be able to play with a lot of different characters and would pay to do so. But with the odds being approximately three tenths of one percent that I'd get the cover that I want from each draw of a $20.00 pack the current system is akin to throwing your money away.
    I know people have been asking for a change forever and that if the current system has lasted this long then they must be making money off of it. Also knowing that it's extremely unlikely (I put the odds at about the same as drawing a yellow 3* Spider Man cover) that anyone with the authority to make a change will ever see this, and if so that they'd do anything about it, my only hope is that enough players feel the same and don't support the current system. As long as they're making money nothing is going to change. And I want them to make money. I want them to take my money. Just give me a reasonable offer and I'll give it to them.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would argue that the token systems in question are just fine and achieving what is expected out of them. Heroic Recruit tokens are most likely a 2*, but a better chance of 3* or 4* than the Standard Recruit tokens.

What could use an overhaul is the Event Tokens. I'd honestly like to see them have a HUGE increase in the rate of the featured character at the expense of 2* pulls. I'm not saying they shouldn't have any chance of 2* pulls, but the current combined 81.6% - 78.2% chance of pulling a 2* is insane! That leaves only a 18.3% - 22% chance of pulling a 3* or 4*! And yes, I know that those numbers don't add up to 100%, I'm using the posted in-game percentages for the Fatal Attraction Tokens (Single - 10/42pack).

These tokens are more expensive and rarer in terms of rewards than the standard Heroic Recruit Tokens. I'd like to see Featured Characters get bumped to 5% single & 20% 10/42 pack with an overall 25% single - 30% 10/42 pack chance of 3* or 4* pulls. 2*s should be split among the remaining 75% single & 70% 10/42 pack.

I don't think this is asking too much.
  • grimeon wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Yeah, the gold tokens are useless as they are. I wish there were a 'crafting' option: fuse X (say 10) heroic tokens to one superheroic that gives only ***+. (simple UI, have some more buttons with numbers.

And I keep begging that cover distribution used by the lottery got revealed.

To be fair, according to the spreadsheet on recruit token probability, you have a ~20% chance of a 3 star. So 10 tokens should already get you one, unless you are really unlucky.
    Yeah, but 18% out of those 20%, the 3 star cover is either loki, doom, or ragna.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    A few changes they should make.

1, Remove from the Heroic packs any covers that are available in the regular PVP as rewards. If you can win a Classic Storm by beating any random opponent in a PVP, that should not be a 7.4% chance of a drop in a heroic pack. By removing some of the 2* characters from the Heroic packs, it will increase the odds on the 3*s, thereby helping players make the transition from 2* to 3*, which has become harder because of the dilution caused by the increased number of 3* characters.

2. Return to guaranteed characters in packs. Guaranteeing that a player will get the one featured character in an event is a huge incentive to getting people to buy 10-pack. When you are trying to get covers for a new character, especially and don't have a cover for one power, that can be the only way to get the cover. This 6% chance of getting a featured character is tinykitty. At the very least, go back to the 10x chance that was provided in the first Falcon event. That gave players a 22% chance of pulling Falcon (though the rest of the pack was junk 2*s), but the odds were decent enough to roll the dice. I did and pulled three Falcon covers. YMMV.

3. Bring back packs like the old diabolical packs. One guaranteed cover of XXXX. Get one of each new 3* that was released in the past month. Or one of each villain. You can even charge a lot. But at least provide a way for people to get those covers instead of the current system of Russian roulette.
  • I'm fine with the cover system. What bothers me is that the chance of getting a specific character in specific cover packs are so small. There used to be guaranteed covers in those, remember? If I only have 6 % chance of getting the character I want, then I won't buy it, because most likely I'll merely end up with some 2* I already have.
  • A few changes they should make.
    Return to guaranteed characters in packs

This. There is absolutely no reason to spend TWICE as much on the event packs for a CHANCE at the feature character.

I'm better off and have had better luck with the Heroic packs, and even gotten the feature character like that once. I don't mind spending money but I'm going to go with the best value. Besides, what is essentially $30 for 10 characters is insane. I don't think twice about dropping the occasional $20 here and there.
  • Pwuz_
    CrazedJava wrote:
    A few changes they should make.
    Return to guaranteed characters in packs

This. There is absolutely no reason to spend TWICE as much on the event packs for a CHANCE at the feature character.

I'm better off and have had better luck with the Heroic packs, and even gotten the feature character like that once. I don't mind spending money but I'm going to go with the best value. Besides, what is essentially $30 for 10 characters is insane. I don't think twice about dropping the occasional $20 here and there.

Reminds me of this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrbgdf7UFE&list=PL8B35CA833DCDA9A4&index=9
  • Does anybody know if there have been changes to Standard tokens in relation to the chance of pulling anything other than a 1*?
    I have not had a 3* from these tokens for weeks now and also very very few 2*. Considering the amount of tokens i have had in that time I would have usually expected more than that.
    Course i could just be hitting a unlucky run.
  • Pwuz_
    The PACman wrote:
    Does anybody know if there have been changes to Standard tokens in relation to the chance of pulling anything other than a 1*?
    I have not had a 3* from these tokens for weeks now and also very very few 2*. Considering the amount of tokens i have had in that time I would have usually expected more than that.

Last week I pulled 2 3* covers from standard token pulls, and over the past month I've pulled around 10 or so just by dumping my extra Iso into standard pulls. I'm having a lot better luck pulling them than I used to. Though it does seem like they abandoned the occasional 25HP pulls, I can't remember the last time I got one of those.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    The PACman wrote:
    Does anybody know if there have been changes to Standard tokens in relation to the chance of pulling anything other than a 1*?

Last week I pulled 2 3* covers from standard token pulls, and over the past month I've pulled around 10 or so just by dumping my extra Iso into standard pulls. I'm having a lot better luck pulling them than I used to. Though it does seem like they abandoned the occasional 25HP pulls, I can't remember the last time I got one of those.

Okay thanks, so its just my bad luck at the moment icon_e_sad.gif but at least i know it is still possible to get them. And I have never had more than a couple of the 25HP pulls so you you may well be right about that.

I do remember reading someone's study on token pulls and he reckoned he got better pulls overall when he spent money/iso to purchase tokens, could it be that he was correct and that's why you seem to be having better luck right now? *conspiracy alert* it actually wouldnt surprise me to discover token pulls have been stealthily weighted in favour of purchased tokens versus won tokens. icon_e_confused.gif

UPDATE - Just pulled a GSBW Red cover froma standard token last night to break what must be at least a 3 week dry spell of only getting 1*s. Good to know they are still there icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mhorham
    mhorham Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I've been playing this game for over a year now and it seems to have gotten worse with the cover ratio from ten packs heroic and otherwise. It just kills the enthusiasm from getting one in the season,saving up hero points for one,or simply shelling out the cash to buy one and then recieve a bunch of redundant 2 star characters that you sell back for iso. Add to this frustration the frustration of not making a cut an a character in a pve and needing him or her in the next pve, sucking it up and buying a ten pack for close to 4000 hp (which by the way is worth over 25 dollars) and at best recieving only a4% chance to recieve that character Really. At the very least you should go back to receiving at least one of the featured characters in those ten packs like it used to be