shield cool down must go

Comments

• It's interesting that this poll favors the change, but there's quite a bit of anger about this change within the thread.

While I agree that the execution of the cooldowns could use some finessing (i.e., people really should be able to see when their shield ends and the cooldown, etc.), overall, this was the right thing to do. The devs have admitted that they often implement half-baked measures and then improve them, just to get them out there (go find the link to the developer talking about alliances. I'm not your google), and I think this is another example of that.

Nevertheless, shield hopping had become an absolutely skill-less exercise in spending money that needed to be fixed. Yes, let's blame the devs for not anticipating this method of abusing shields..... OK? They screwed up, but that's no reason to keep it or to listen to the people who had made abusing the system a fundamental part of their playing. They made a new game that the devs have absolutely no obligation in maintaining. You will find no game, anywhere, where an exploit is not smashed to pieces by the developers. Shield-hopping had become one and anyone who thought it would last into perpetuity was ignoring reality.

I understand and appreciate that a number of people enjoyed coordinating with their friends to spend upwards of $100 USD per PVP on shields (yes, literally $100 per PVP) and losing to one another, but that's not what this game was intended to be and your 6k score is less an accomplishment than a call to fix a significant problem and a clear demonstration of how it can be abused.

So, there was an exploit, a lot of people enjoyed using that exploit, and now the devs have shut down that exploit ... but have not shut it down perfectly. Contrary to previous comments, I would say that this is 2 steps forward and a 1/2 step back. Feel free to complain about the 1/2 step back, but I disagree that incorporating cooldowns is anything but a positive development.

Tl;dr:
    You might have ADHD and should consider asking your doctor for a prescription for Adderall.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    A_B wrote:
    It's interesting that this poll favors the change, but there's quite a bit of anger about this change within the thread.

While I agree that the execution of the cooldowns could use some finessing (i.e., people really should be able to see when their shield ends and the cooldown, etc.), overall, this was the right thing to do. The devs have admitted that they often implement half-baked measures and then improve them, just to get them out there (go find the link to the developer talking about alliances. I'm not your google), and I think this is another example of that.

Nevertheless, shield hopping had become an absolutely skill-less exercise in spending money that needed to be fixed. Yes, let's blame the devs for not anticipating this method of abusing shields..... OK? They screwed up, but that's no reason to keep it or to listen to the people who had made abusing the system a fundamental part of their playing. They made a new game that the devs have absolutely no obligation in maintaining. You will find no game, anywhere, where an exploit is not smashed to pieces by the developers. Shield-hopping had become one and anyone who thought it would last into perpetuity was ignoring
    I understand and appreciate that a number of people enjoyed coordinating with their friends to spend upwards of $100 USD per PVP on shields (yes, literally $100 per PVP) and losing to one another, but that's not what this game was intended to be and your 6k score is less an accomplishment than a call to fix a significant problem and a clear demonstration of how it can be abused.

So, there was an exploit, a lot of people enjoyed using that exploit, and now the devs have shut down that exploit ... but have not shut it down perfectly. Contrary to previous , I would say that this is 2 steps forward and a 1/2 step back. Feel free to complain about the 1/2 step back, but I disagree that incorporating cooldowns is anything but a positive development.

Tl;dr:
    You might have ADHD and should consider asking your doctor for a prescription for Adderall.
    Allow me to completely disagree with you here.. The real problem is the points system.. Shield have been a faiĺed attempt to fix this.. as long as playing hard to reach a certain score is only rewarded by ppl coming in late and sniping you for 50 without any opportunity to get them back, the game will always leave an unfair feeling.. You shot me down for 50? You should lose 50 if you lost and i should have the possibility to get some them back.. Not this one point ish.. Personnally i dont care cool down.. It wont prevent me from having the covers and the iso i want.. But it really devoided the game from a fun factor..waiting 2h30 to play 3 matchs is not fun.. Even for you AB..
  • They just need to adjust the 3 hour shield to have a 3 hour cool down.
  • Screw shield hopping vets. 2-->3 transitioners need pvp scores low so they can actually get 3*.

Not going to get them from tokens...
  • I don't say much in these forums these days but I have found the shield cool down changes good. Only issue is progression thresholds which need to be lowered
  • Switchman wrote:
    Screw shield hopping vets. 2-->3 transitioners need pvp scores low so they can actually get 3*.

Yes, because removing shield hopping means transitioners will all of a sudden be able to beat vets in placement. Is this really what people believe?
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    gobstopper wrote:
    Switchman wrote:
    Screw shield hopping vets. 2-->3 transitioners need pvp scores low so they can actually get 3*.

Yes, because removing shield hopping means transitioners will all of a sudden be able to beat vets in placement. Is this really what people believe?

I may be wrong but I think what he meant was the 1100 progression award would be virtually impossible for transitioners. I'm a 2-3* transitioner and have almost cover maxed 4 three star characters with a whole host of others with 5-8 covers. The problem with relying on good placement is you can never predict who else is in your bracket. A lucky bracket in a quiet time slice will have top ten ranging from 1050-650 points, whereas a whale heavy bracket will have everyone in top 10 well over 1300 points. At least the 1100 progression award seemed within our grasp if you had a few strong L166 characters. Hopefully they will re-evaluate the progression awards, until then I'm happy to be open minded about shield Cooldowns.
  • gobstopper wrote:
    Switchman wrote:

Exactly. Transitioners need the MMR fixed, not the shield-hopping.

If D3 really want the shield-hopping reduced, they'll have to lower or limit the point loss.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    I like the shield cool downs, makes the game ever so slightly less pay to win. I only ever used a 3-hour shield at the very end of events, if I used one at all. Hopefully, it'll open up some higher point matches for me, or at lest make some more attractive targets for others, so I get hit less and use eve few shields. I think it will make players think more about defensive teams than previously, without being able to hide behind a shield, there may be a need to field a more defensive, which might lead to more diverse matchups.
  • Konman wrote:
    I like the shield cool downs, makes the game ever so slightly less pay to win.

That's debatable. People willing to spend 525 (300+150+75) HP every 8 hours have a massive advantage over people not willing to, since they can shield hop, even if it's slower.
  • I may be wrong but I think what he meant was the 1100 progression award would be virtually impossible for transitioners. I'm a 2-3* transitioner and have almost cover maxed 4 three star characters with a whole host of others with 5-8 covers. The problem with relying on good placement is you can never predict who else is in your bracket. A lucky bracket in a quiet time slice will have top ten ranging from 1050-650 points, whereas a whale heavy bracket will have everyone in top 10 well over 1300 points. At least the 1100 progression award seemed within our grasp if you had a few strong L166 characters. Hopefully they will re-evaluate the progression awards, until then I'm happy to be open minded about shield Cooldowns.
    Not totally clear on your point but if your aim is to get the 1100 and 1300 progressions, then you WANT shield hopping. The HIGHER the top-end scores, the EASIER it is for the rest of the playerbase to reach these progressions.
  • tbighead21
    tbighead21 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    The game is much more P2W now. The same people are still at the top but just with diff scores now. Shield hopping is more expensive now bc you have to use an 8 hour shield after using a 3 hour shield. Its rediculous. Wonder how long it will take for the progression rewards to be adjusted. Almost no one will get the 4hor cover in the next event at 1300 points.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    tbighead21 wrote:
    The game is much more P2W now. The same people are still at the top but just with diff scores now. Shield hopping is more expensive now bc you have to use an 8 hour shield after using a 3 hour shield. Its rediculous. Wonder how long it will take for the progression rewards to be adjusted. Almost no one will get the 4hor cover in the next event at 1300 points.

That's exactly why it's more P2W, the winners pay HP to get more Thor/X-force covers, which is the only way to win now - but it makes them impossible to get for anyone who hasn't already paid for them. A perfect, vicious cycle.
  • There's no meaningful change because all the scores get scaled back roughly equally. Although it costs more to do shield hop now, a single hop is also worth more than it used to so unless you routinely totally misjudged your timing and need to drop a 300 HP shield at the end, it averages out to be pretty much the same thing. Now similar to PvE you pretty much just got to make sure you hit your shield hop every 8 hours, or 2 every 8 hours, or whatever you're willing to spend.

In the end this change reminds me a lot of this change in WoW where they scaled every thing back because people got tired of looking at very big numbers.
  • The new shield system makes it pretty impossible to get up to 1300, which is especially foolish considering D3 is pushing us to use 4 stars over 3 stars. The thing about shield hopping was that it still provided people with high point queues even if they didn't hop, allowing people to climb higher collectively. I had a lot of fun and saw a huge change in my roster once joining the community as opposed to playing alone, which is a great sign in a multiplayer game. D3 has taken a massive **** on the MPQ pvp system, and I wish they would retract this update. Of course they won't, devs never want to admit when they cocked something up. A guy can hop though
  • Phantron wrote:
    There's no meaningful change because all the scores get scaled back roughly equally. Although it costs more to do shield hop now, a single hop is also worth more than it used to so unless you routinely totally misjudged your timing and need to drop a 300 HP shield at the end, it averages out to be pretty much the same thing. Now similar to PvE you pretty much just got to make sure you hit your shield hop every 8 hours, or 2 every 8 hours, or whatever you're willing to spend.

In the end this change reminds me a lot of this change in WoW where they scaled every thing back because people got tired of looking at very big numbers.

If the rewards were only based on placement then I'd agree with you. Everything is scaled back for everyone, so no biggie here right?

The problem is that progression rewards have not been scaled down (yet, we all hope). Progression rewards have been for many the only way to consistently get 4* covers. Placement requires you to beat everyone in your bracket and that can be highly dependant on luck, while progression means that spending time and HP you can have a shot at being one step closer to that X-Force or 4* Thor.

If they wanted that to stop they succeeded, with the current cooldowns it's less expensive for me to save HPs and directly buy the covers I need. But that clashes with their intention to make the 3*-4* progression easier and smoother, since that's the direction they said they want to take.

I know it's still early in this season and that they said they'd be checking the scores to eventually adjust the progression, but many of us really hope that they decide to do so soon, since in the current state we're spending to reach 750-800 scores the same amount that could send us over 1000 before.
  • Ironic that within 2 months of providing time slices that allow for people not to have to run their lives to MPQ's event end schedule, that they introduce shield cooldowns that force people to run their lives to their MPQ shield cooldown schedule.

I ended up running a 3hr / 8hr / 3hr / 8hr cycle to reach 1100 in this PvP but the last 8hr one was only for the last 30 mins of the event becase I was just short of 1100 and didn't want to risk going for it in the last 4 mins of the event. Paying 150hp for 30 mins shield sure felt great icon_rolleyes.gif

On the positive side, getting top 5 is going to be pretty easy for vets in most events now so it's only the progression rewards that are the real challenge. I kinda need the 4Thor blue from the Hood event but not sure I can be bothered going through all the hassle needed to get it (especially if I fall just short). It would also mean joining the 'big score' time shard which isn't always the most convenient timing.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    tbighead21 wrote:
    it costed way below what i usually spent on a pvp.. roughly around 1k hp to reach 1400 (3x3 hrs, 2x8 hrs, 1 24hrs, 3x all ap,(less if i count the hp coming back with the rewards) compared to 3-4 k hp to reach 2,5k-3k+). What it demands now is a real coordination within the alliance, timing and luck of course. Sniping is less of a threat too cause going out of your shielding could be costly long term when mistimed.. so all in all, it doesnt change nothing about the high end game.. just that it makes it more similar to pve with the 2.5 hrs refresh ie boring..
  • From my experience, looks like maxed teams are less likely to get hit (if they are not worth big points of course).

There is also much less activity, so you can play more while unshielded.

So, I have the impression the game is more P2W now than it used to be. Those who could max Cage and had GT and XF had a real advantage this time.

Also, you get far more 2* teams while climbing, if you don't skip matches to get big points faster.

There are also less vets with big rosters playing...
  • This poll doesn't tell us anything, the wording is loaded so we have no idea how many people actually like the changes. Could anyone who likes them explain why, cause at the minute I'm only seeing negativity and I can only see the changes helping company profits, which is fair enough, but I would like them to at least be honest about it and not claim they've made them for our benefit.