Why I am an idiot and the real problem with PvE.

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    Great point. Personally I don't live by the 3 hours.

Going back to the first point, a lot of players see the Elektra cover as "essential" to play the game because of future events. While you don't have to win it, it's still called essential by many.
    She'll be essential in the next PvE - which hopefully is for an old character - and then probably never again. We haven't seen Nick fury or Thor as essential characters after that one time after all. But you only need top 50 to get Elektra and be able to unlock essential nodes in the next PvE. The OP should be able to pull top 50 off without endangering the lives of himself and others.
  • Geauxbotz
    Geauxbotz Posts: 55 Match Maker
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hulk11 wrote:
    Hulk11 wrote:
    These forums wow...

First off, this guy did exactly what he was supposed to do to be a top level performer in this game. Can anyone blasting him, say they are number one in this event? If so you can offer suggestions on how you're keeping the best overall score and not getting hurt, that is far more helpful to this person, not blaming him for doing the best he can to win.

Here's a tip.

If what you're 'supposed to do' to win is put people's lives at risk, then maybe you just bleepin' lose and not worry about the damn videogame. It's called personal responsibility.

I feel pretty comfortable saying the people that are #1 in this event and others before it had a 100% track record of "don't drive your car into things while playing" prior. I'm not sure this requires any advanced playing algorithm to figure out.

If you were in first place for this event and put in the spot where this guy was, I think you could have more understanding and not just say, "well it's a given that we all know not to play games and drive". Or at least that's what the other players have gone on record saying.

Really? I'm sure if someone was injured they would understand. "Guy came out of no where and just smashed into me! I was planning on filing a lawsuit for the damages to my car and the severe whiplash I received until I realized that he was leading his bracket. Don't worry about it and good luck!" Does it seem a little silly now? OP, glad no one was hurt! Take a break. It's Elektra for God's sake... icon_lol.gif
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    Options
    Yes, personally I'm not proud to hear this. Still even hearing that you must play every 2-3 hours is the greater travesty that leads up to this situation. This is for covers that in all likelihood cannot be used outside of have the "essential" cover to play. Yes some of the best players who've accumulated iso and gold can take best advantage of it. More players will simply use it as the essential thing to get because that's the only progression in upcoming events. What does that really mean, I really don't know. I know I won't have it, and will still play regardless, at least I think I will.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    If the devs are true to their word, and they better be, the PVE after Elektra will be for an old char.
    So while Elektra will be an essential for the next PVE, you can safely sit this one out without harming your progress - unless losing out on, say, Iron Man covers harms your progress.

The next PVE for a new char will have someone else for the essential nodes.

If the PVE after Elektra IS for a new char, then I'm done with this game.

Not a new character reward, but it's a new event. Dunno if that means just a new story, same ol PvE mechanics, or if's actually a new PvE game mode, but it will be a little different.

That said, I'm fully expecting the PvP's to go Sentry->Loki-> Daredevil or Patch -> Elektra. I can't remember a PvE in recent times where the essential character wasn't offered as a PvP reward during the event. So she'll be out there to earn for the PvE anyway.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel compelled to post, but I don't know exactly what to say. First, please take care of yourself and consider that waking every 2.5 hr might lead to some other kind of accident even if you have the game turned off. What "grind-style" PvE currently requires to win T50 or better can not be healthy for anyone. While I think players are ultimately responsible for their behavior, I also believe that the Devs and are not being very socially responsible.

Second, I know you wanted to talk a bit about the PvE experience, so here goes:
    As far as I can tell PvE was never designed to be a compelling "game." In the beginning it was just something to do, akin to the Prologue, lest we forget completely about MPQ. But, more and more, the Devs have gone to PvE to deliver the rarest rewards, without seriously considering how unappealing and unfun the process of actually winning these competitions are. I don't think this format can be saved, so my advice to the Devs would be to simply remove ranking rewards.

The Devs should have never invested so much time into "improving" PvE Ranking competition. I do applaud them, however, for making new PvE modes that are more time-flexible and less grindy. I hope they see the error they made in further investing in poor gameplay modes and try new ideas until they arrive at something compelling.

Lastly, the thought of PvE Seasons horrifies me. You do realize that Seasons are just a mechanic that the Devs use to make every event more competitive? If a 4* character is the Season reward, then you will feel compelled to play and win every event as if it were the the current event. Let me tell you, PvP Seasons is one of my least favorite additions to the game. It is the reason that new players complain about never being able to win "good" rewards.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    OP - Thank you for sharing your learning experience. It's great to share this with the community to have this discussion and bring up these issues.

If a person is 1st in a bracket and misses a refresh, I can almost guarantee he won't drop out of the top 50. Claiming that playing in dangerous situations is necessary to gain the hero that will be essential for the next event is an awful rationalization. You only need 1 cover to play an essential.

I can't judge, though, as I admit I have texted while driving. I will use this example to become a safer driver myself and put my phone away while I'm behind the wheel. I hope we can all agree to do that.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It was one of my concerns in OP when I asked folks what refresh rate they would like here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20373

This is not the first time I've read 2.5 (3) hour refresh rates forcing people to change sleep schedule. It promotes dangerous behavior, and needs to be adjusted. Six hours was the average that folks wanted - that gives folks almost a full night sleep.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    I can't remember a PvE in recent times where the essential character wasn't offered as a PvP reward during the event. So she'll be out there to earn for the PvE anyway.
    Nick Fury and Thor were both essential but never offered as PvE progression reward. So don't expect Elektra to be out there either.
  • The minor accident probably cost you a few hundred in insurance and deductibles if not more than that. Could have spent it on cover packs, and you probably would have a better chance at getting covers without risking injury to others.

This game is designed to be competitive to college and university students, or unemployed who have lots of free time. If you're trying to compete with that and have a full time job, you're going to be giving up a lot.

So now it's "I have a problem, but it's not me, it's the game's fault." I've heard way better excuses in AA meetings. If the game is becoming a problem to your life and other people's lives, you should stop or at least slow down enough to take stock.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    I can't remember a PvE in recent times where the essential character wasn't offered as a PvP reward during the event. So she'll be out there to earn for the PvE anyway.
    Nick Fury and Thor were both essential but never offered as PvE progression reward. So don't expect Elektra to be out there either.

I agree, she won't be the progression in the next event. I'd guess Daredevil, but it'll be whoever the 3* is boosted besides Elektra.

The Fury release was completely different than 4Thor's release, so they're not really comparable. 4Thor was not the progression prize in her essential event, but she did get her own PvP during it: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19887

That's how I'd expect the Elektra release to occur as well.
  • This reminds me of the people that got run over by hacking portals while standing in moving traffic in ingress.

It's really an entire thread about the dangers of doing incredibly stupid things.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've mentioned on here before that I work in law enforcement, so let me tell you, right here, right now ...

IT IS NOT WORTH IT ! ! ! USING A PHONE WHILE DRIVING WILL NEVER BE WORTH A HUMAN LIFE ! ! !

This is something I have been called out to respond to, and had to see more times than any one person should have to. To get the blood of a 4 year old child on your hands while trying to keep him alive because his 22 year old mother just had to answer that text will show any one that using a phone while driving is never okay.

Unfortunately, that is the world we live in. People depend far too much on technology these days. Far more than we should.

Was the OP an idiot, and a complete fool for doing what he did? Yes.
    Does he get credit for admitting it? Yes. (The first step is admitting you have a problem)
    Does the OP have a point about the PvE structure? Yes (though they are not to blame for his actions)

Technology has taken control of most people's lives whether they know it or not. If you doubt me, try it. Just try to go one day without using ANY technology of any kind. It's not easy. I tried it and only made it 11 hours. Not even half a day, (almost). I play more than I should, but not so much that I let it alter my life style. Im currently going back and forth between #1 and #2 rank in my main bracket for the PvE event. I can do this because I just happen to be off work this week. But if not, I probably would not be in top 25 or even 50. Because a cover is not worth it.

Does this excuse the OP's action's? No.
    But it does illistrate how messed up the tech industry is, and how it takes advantage of pelple every day.

I will end by simply saying this: ....

Please, please, do NOT ever use your phone for anything while driving. A life is worth more than all the text messages and mobile games in the world. It is NOT worth it!
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That is one of the most depressing things I've ever read on here.

Stop playing, dude. Just stop playing.

Stop playing? are you nuts? that's not the answer

Pull over and put on you hazards dude....
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:

I agree, she won't be the progression in the next event. I'd guess Daredevil, but it'll be whoever the 3* is boosted besides Elektra.

The Fury release was completely different than 4Thor's release, so they're not really comparable. 4Thor was not the progression prize in her essential event, but she did get her own PvP during it: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19887

That's how I'd expect the Elektra release to occur as well.
    Nick Fury got a PvP too, so it's very likely Elektra gets one too.
  • I've mentioned on here before that I work in law enforcement, so let me tell you, right here, right now ...

IT IS NOT WORTH IT ! ! ! USING A PHONE WHILE DRIVING WILL NEVER BE WORTH A HUMAN LIFE ! ! !
    [/b]

Wait but what if your shield is about to run out though
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    I've mentioned on here before that I work in law enforcement, so let me tell you, right here, right now ...

[/b]

Then pull over and take 2 minutes to re-shield.

. I believe you were just making a joke here, and I mean no offense, but after seeing the things I have, and dealing with the situations I've had to deal with, it's very difficult for me see any humor in things like this. We get called out to auto accidents more than anything else. The worst part is, most of them never should have happened.
  • Professa D
    Options
    Wow, interesting discussion. I agree with those who say playing while driving is stupid, but I don't think you're putting anyone's LIFE at risk if you're doing it in bumper to bumper (under 15 mph) traffic on the freeway where there are no pedestrians. At worst you're going to have a pay out the tinykitty for making the bad decision to play while driving. However, problem is that that can be a slippery slope because traffic can lighten up and maybe you start driving up to 40 or 50 mph and with how addicting the game is it's quite unlikely you will actually stop playing when that happens so all in all just don't play and drive. I've definitely pulled to the side of the road for a quick shield hop before.

I'm quite curious if there actually was a lethal car accident caused by this situation whether or not there would be any legal grounds against the developers for structuring an intentionally addicting game with an optimal real-world time-based strategy that creates hazardous situations like this. Now I know, I know, it's always your decision to play or not play. But there's a difference between selling crack to people when they knock on your door versus putting a 100 pound crackrock in a caged arena filled with crackheads, lined with weapons and saying "you don't HAVE to fight each other for the crack rock, you know..." icon_twisted.gif

I'm sure there would be no plausible legal recourse but it just made me think. Also can't stop thinking about the recent South Park episode "Freemium Isn't Free" which had me ROFL. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Used to be safer, before Sentry nerf you could play a whole match at a stop sign
  • ark123 wrote:

[/b]

Then pull over and take 2 minutes to re-shield.

I believe you were just making a joke here, and I mean no offense, but after seeing the things I have, and dealing with the situations I've had to deal with, it's very difficult for me see any humor in things like this. We get called out to auto accidents more than anything else. The worst part is, most of them never should have happened.

Interesting. What are the ones that should have happened?
  • That is one of the most depressing things I've ever read on here.

Stop playing, dude. Just stop playing.

Exactly, this forum seems to be "the" place for hardcore addicts to come crying that D3P ruined their life because they couldnt get reward X because of reason Y, and that will seriously mess up their future. Come on.
    Put that in perspective?
This discussion has been closed.