I learned my lesson; don't spend money on this game!

Options

Comments

• Damnit Zathrus. This is why we can't have nice things! jk
  • It's OK, at least me and you have high level spidey and mags lol =/ and now wasted high level widows...sigh
  • BigMao wrote:
    Yes, this was an important lesson for me - as they say, let the buyer beware.

In response to the above post, I think it's fair for us to collectively reward developers / publishers that provide fun games. That's how I justify paying for games, and I am happy when other players benefit by having a good game. In contrast, the nerf makes me feel like I was cheated / swindled out of my money, and so I find them undeserving of further reward. If they continue to take the fun out of this game, our best interests as players is to move on.
    They don't need to "continue to take the fun out of this game" because they have already shot themselves in the foot with this patch. Forgrim touched on the main issues in the other thread:

1) Devs don't communicate with playerbase, absolutely zero explanations, getting information from them is impossible
    2) Devs seem to have a poor sense of balance - they need a team of beta testers badly
  • Damnit Zathrus. This is why we can't have nice things! jk

Lol. Is that an Archer reference?
  • gobstopper wrote:
    BigMao wrote:
    Yes, this was an important lesson for me - as they say, let the buyer beware.

In response to the above post, I think it's fair for us to collectively reward developers / publishers that provide fun games. That's how I justify paying for games, and I am happy when other players benefit by having a good game. In contrast, the nerf makes me feel like I was cheated / swindled out of my money, and so I find them undeserving of further reward. If they continue to take the fun out of this game, our best interests as players is to move on.
    They don't need to "continue to take the fun out of this game" because they have already shot themselves in the foot with this patch. Forgrim touched on the main issues in the other thread:

1) Devs don't communicate with playerbase, absolutely zero explanations, getting information from them is impossible
    2) Devs seem to have a poor sense of balance - they need a team of beta testers badly

2) We ARE their group of beta testers.
  • even if they asked 5 well known forum goers their intentions and our feedback, it would've helped way more than this nonsense.

ragnarok and thor makes it a very easy comparison of 3 star compared to 2 star. and when the 2star has abilities that are better than a 3 star, AT A HIGHER LEVEL, then you clearly can tell who ever went ahead with these nerfs is just flat out not thinking.

Iceix did say all the developers read these forums, but frankly their silence, and no justification of changes, is damning in my eyes.
  • BigMao
    BigMao Posts: 117
    Options
    Here's my petition, which I sent to the email address mobilesupport@d3p.us as suggested above.
    Dear D3 Publisher,

I've been an avid player of Marvel Puzzle Quest for the past two weeks or so. This morning, I decided to spend $100 in order to purchase Ragnarok's Thunderclap covers (three Diabolical 5-Packs to get the first cover, then 5,000 HP to bring it to level 5). Needless to say, I wasn't happy when the character was effectively made useless by the update that happened this afternoon. I was scarcely able to enjoy my purchase for four hours.

I'd like to negotiate a refund of my points (or a reconsideration of the update). I understand that you have no obligation to do so, but I ask for this respectfully as a player who pays the publisher / developer for providing a fun game; prior to the unannounced update, I have regarded D3 Publisher as such. If my request is ignored and my purchase is not refunded, I will acknowledge that this is a case of "caveat emptor", and my in-game purchase was a mistake on my part. I would avoid making such a mistake again, and I will urge my fellow players on the forums to do the same.

Thank you for your consideration,

- Real Name (user name BigMao in game.)
  • I only have one Rag cover, never spent any ISO or HP or him, but I find this outrageous.
    He deserved a nerf but... seriously???
    This disrupts all the trust I had in the dev team... they look more amateur every day now.
    Won't spend on this game anymore, too afraid to be the next in line, sorry
  • Lucky girl wrote:
    I have a friend that plays online games like this and his rule is to never pays money for them. I will quote him: "I don't want to give money for bits and bytes."
    Quite so, all these consumer items today are so short-lived, which is why I only buy items made out of treated lumber and stainless steel. I play MPQ on a phone I whittled from a piece of 2x4.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D3 were in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Rags was THAT broken that people felt they needed to drop 100 bucks on him to compete. (And in lightning rounds I completely agree with them) so he made the game pay to win if you got into the game late. Until I got rags to 4 red even diabolical tokens were a pipe dream.

As they didn't seem to want the game to be blatant pay 2 win, this nerf was very predictable. 2AP gave them no room to make characters better than him or even on par with him.

If they did it in response to a marked increase in people buying Rag, it may have saved further people from blowing their money, and all that might remain is a balancing response / reimbursement to those who got hit by the nerf close to spending real money.
  • BigMao
    Options
    Lucky girl wrote:
    I have a friend that plays online games like this and his rule is to never pays money for them. I will quote him: "I don't want to give money for bits and bytes."
    Quite so, all these consumer items today are so short-lived, which is why I only buy items made out of treated lumber and stainless steel. I play MPQ on a phone I whittled from a piece of 2x4.

Something doesn't need to be tangible in order to be valuable - I'm sure we all know know that. I'm a developer of software myself, and if not for this fact I'd be out of a job.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Lucky girl wrote:

Haha yeah, I charge a lot of money to produce bits and bytes. I hope that thinking doesn't catch on!
  • BigMao wrote:
    Lucky girl wrote:

Something doesn't need to be tangible in order to be valuable - I'm sure we all know know that. I'm a developer of software myself, and if not for this fact I'd be out of a job.

BigMao....you develop software...what would have been your way of going about this type of change?
  • BigMao
    Options
    I'd have listened to users of course.

My software is open-source and used for scientific research, so I spend quite a bit of time communicating with my small user base (which is made up of scientists). My statement of "value" comes from the fact that I'm paid to develop it, and myself and others can use it to do science.
  • We are just beta-testers..
  • BigMao wrote:
    Lucky girl wrote:

BigMao....you develop software...what would have been your way of going about this type of change?
    Refund Policy is a bare minimum - A stickied post in Dev Notes section that makes it clear that hero buffs/nerfs can occur, but offer compensation for those who want it. Like in this case, offer to take back the covers / ISO sold in exchange for HP. This costs Devs nothing since the real $ has already been spent.
  • I spent nearly the same for Rag, $100 diabloic tokens for 1 cover, another $50 for 3 red covers.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    The problem with listening to users is that they are very short sighted and are more interested in immediate gratification and not what's best for the future of the game.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Really, the complete lack of communication pisses me off far, far more than a single nerf.

This. I'm not au fait with these sorts of games, so maybe I'm a little naive to it all. Do they really chop and change these sorts of games so readily and so hamfistedly? The lack of any discussion or forewarning is alarming to say the least.
  • gobstopper wrote:
    Refund Policy is a bare minimum - A stickied post in Dev Notes section that makes it clear that hero buffs/nerfs can occur, but offer compensation for those who want it. Like in this case, offer to take back the covers / ISO sold in exchange for HP. This costs Devs nothing since the real $ has already been spent.
    Actually it would costs them.. time.. a lot! For hulk event I saw around 65k players and lets say only 2k from them and I believe it may be much more players want to take on this offer.. some ppl have different lvl of rag, they have to manually go in each account and do it.. 2k times.. which doesn't exactly qualify as dream job day lol icon_e_wink.gif
    Other than that I absolutely agree with you - they messed up and they have to offer some kind of compensation.