Balance of Power is how the game should be

Options
homeinvasion
homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I for one think that BOP perfectly demonstrates what this game could be. A wide variety of roster, strategic choices, team select before every match, a genuine puzzle and a deeper level of thought all round. No 1 stars or 4 stars, just characters, play options and all round better. What do you think?

Comments

• I like it, but it penalizes you too much. Everyone can beat everyone, so point loss is very big in this event.

Apart from that, there is not much strategy there as you still fight teams of Ares/Juggs/Daken or Sentry/Hood/XF. It's a fun event though, I can agree to that!
  • Aside from having a larger roster, there would be no real reason for people to spend money on the game, which would mean no game.

I enjoy the event (not bothering much with this one though as the rewards aren't needed and I need a break after their crazy recent scheduling) but can't see how it would work long-term.
  • homeinvasion
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    I like it, but it penalizes you too much. Everyone can beat everyone, so point loss is very big in this event.

Apart from that, there is not much strategy there as you still fight teams of Ares/Juggs/Daken or Sentry/Hood/XF. It's a fun event though, I can agree to that!
    I guess the simple questions are

1. is it more fun than normal?
    2. If it were more balanced would it be even better?

After the latest rounds of PVE I can't face another grind fest, I really think this is the way to go, new players would be catapulted into end game straight away, I would much rather heaps of new players than holding onto my thin lead for having paid over $4000 and over a thousand hours of game. I lust after the idea that all characters were equal in their own way and you never went into a match with the same team.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    Aside from having a larger roster, there would be no real reason for people to spend money on the game, which would mean no game.

I enjoy the event (not bothering much with this one though as the rewards aren't needed and I need a break after their crazy recent scheduling) but can't see how it would work long-term.
    why would there be nothing to spend money on? 100 characters to chose from means more roster, cover AND iso sales, also economically I am sure that BOP elicits more health pack and Shield sales as you don't get skipped as much. I can't agree with this, I think mathematically it makes more sense. Run BOP with Thor4 covers and see the sales of shields and Health Packs, I believe it would hit a new record.
  • I'm not going to get into a mathmatical debate when one part of the arguement hasn't happened, so therefore there is no data. I'll simply rephrase my answer.

D3 are making too much money with the current state and don't believe changing to this format will earn them more. Otherwise they would have done it.

But we can all* agree that this event is pretty neat.

* most. It's a message board, we never all agree on anything.
  • homeinvasion
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm not going to get into a mathmatical debate when one part of the arguement hasn't happened, so therefore there is no data. I'll simply rephrase my answer.

D3 are making too much money with the current state and don't believe changing to this format will earn them more. Otherwise they would have done it.

But we can all* agree that this event is pretty neat.

* most. It's a message board, we never all agree on anything.
    But the customer is always right! We are the customers, if it is what we want and demand, they will change. "It is the possibility of a dream coming true that makes life worth living" Paulo Coelho
  • Fair point.

Do we have enough pitchforks to go around though?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I for one think that BOP perfectly demonstrates what this game could be. A wide variety of roster, strategic choices, team select before every match, a genuine puzzle and a deeper level of thought all round. No 1 stars or 4 stars, just characters, play options and all round better. What do you think?

There's not a ton of strategy in this one either, just the primary characters change. It's really just taking 1* and 4* characters and flipping their relative worth.

Juggs becomes a near runaway winner for "must have character," OBW comes close to surpassing Hood for must have support, and the 3rd is a little more variable but favors lower star.png characters. I actually change characters in regular PvP considerably more than this event.

It's not like this event makes Yelena, Beast, 2Cap, IW or (choose your own cannon fodder here) usable. There's always an optimal build.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd like seeing this event a little more frequently, but I wouldn't want it to be this way all the time.
  • I would like to say how much I LOVE BALANCE OF POWER!
    I would really like to see this as the ongoing never ending mode. It is something that you can jump into and play all the time like before Seasons started.

It puts everyone up to ridiculous powers/health/etc and you can really choose ANYONE. This is a place for 2* characters to shine and be FUN as well as some 1*s. and they can really hold their own against the 3 and 4*s.

Flat out, ITS JUST FUN. I would at lease like to see this show up more often... but thats me.

Cstorm/Mhawkeye/MNmags is a BLAST!
  • homeinvasion
    Options

There's not a ton of strategy in this one either, just the primary characters change. It's really just taking 1* and 4* characters and flipping their relative worth.

Juggs becomes a near runaway winner for "must have character," OBW comes close to surpassing Hood for must have support, and the 3rd is a little more variable but favors lower star.png characters. I actually change characters in regular PvP considerably more than this event.

It's not like this event makes Yelena, Beast, 2Cap, IW or (choose your own cannon fodder here) usable. There's always an optimal build.
    I Largely agree, but do you not think that thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of players are put off with having to two star transition, then three star transition and now 4 star transition? How is a new player meant to get a team of Xforce/ Thor4/ Fury within 2 years? The game has progressed so far that new players are completely excluded. And while I agree the vets, the peeps that made the game what it is should have some advantage, don't you agree that the advantage should be with character selection range? The process at the moment is prohibitively exclusive to new players. Would you seriously as a new player realize you need to transition to 4 star land, in what 3 years, before you can be part of the meta? It's a dumb design. Have one meta that peeps can meekly inhabit with 3 characters, or dominate with 100 choices.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like the event as a between-seasons event. It allows me to use characters that otherwise just sit on the bench (hence rewarding roster diversity) and fight character combinations I don't otherwise see. Definitely a nice change of pace.
  • I for one think that BOP perfectly demonstrates what this game could be. A wide variety of roster, strategic choices, team select before every match, a genuine puzzle and a deeper level of thought all round. No 1 stars or 4 stars, just characters, play options and all round better. What do you think?

And its even better than that the best Juggs is the one lvl 1 and maxed covered version which I am using. Only takes two and rotate them between matches and you never have to use HP on him. In fact level up your characters and make them much worst in this event.
  • They won't do it, but I am kinda wondering now if this would be good as Simulator. Just let people go in there and go mad for the Season.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    I would like to say how much I LOVE BALANCE OF POWER!
    I would really like to see this as the ongoing never ending mode. It is something that you can jump into and play all the time like before Seasons started.

It puts everyone up to ridiculous powers/health/etc and you can really choose ANYONE. This is a place for 2* characters to shine and be FUN as well as some 1*s. and they can really hold their own against the 3 and 4*s.

Flat out, ITS JUST FUN. I would at lease like to see this show up more often... but thats me.

Cstorm/Mhawkeye/MNmags is a BLAST!
    I Like being able to compete as well. Prohibitive design atm means that only whales and old school can compete, I am a whale over the top but I would rather a fair battle ground. Killing peeps with spears with a machine gun doesn't strike me as valor.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do enjoy these events, but my shard must be shallow because I skipped two different nodes and got the same opponent, twice. I only have 70 points... and I'm rank 75. How does the matchmaking work when everyone is maxed?

Too_many_pants
    lokivsleah
    eld_the_preth

These are the only people my nodes keeps rotating through.
  • homeinvasion
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    I do enjoy these events, but my shard must be shallow because I skipped two different nodes and got the same opponent, twice. I only have 70 points... and I'm rank 75. How does the matchmaking work when everyone is maxed?

Too_many_pants
    lokivsleah
    eld_the_preth

ok take away the idea that 1 stars become the new 4 stars, do you prefer having a wide option of characters to select before each match?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    I Largely agree, but do you not think that thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of players are put off with having to two star transition, then three star transition and now 4 star transition? How is a new player meant to get a team of Xforce/ Thor4/ Fury within 2 years? The game has progressed so far that new players are completely excluded. And while I agree the vets, the peeps that made the game what it is should have some advantage, don't you agree that the advantage should be with character selection range? The process at the moment is prohibitively exclusive to new players. Would you seriously as a new player realize you need to transition to 4 star land, in what 3 years, before you can be part of the meta? It's a dumb design. Have one meta that peeps can meekly inhabit with 3 characters, or dominate with 100 choices.

The hundreds of thousands of players will have a multitude of reasons they play the game, many of which don't involve the meta at all.

I've mentioned this before, but I think sometimes it should be required to hang out in the lower tiers of an event. If a bracket has 1000 players, hang out around 500 or so and see how little effort is actually required to stay there. That's where over half the player base is. They put up a couple hundred points in PvP, couple thousand in PvE. They don't have 50 roster spots, they have maybe 20. Getting 4Thor means less than them than getting Spider-Man, because they grew up with spider-man or some other reason.

On that, I know my own experience. I joined in February, 4 months after the game was live and after many of the vets were already established in their tier. It was 3 months before I even found the forums and in that time I never once worried about which characters were better than which, or all the other nonsense that comes with competitive play. I dropped more 3*s than I can even remember now because I didn't have the spots and didn't want to spend the money. Even once I did buy spots, start collecting everything, and did start to understand the meta, I've never once worried how long it would take. I like the game. It's a distraction. If I never again place 1st in a PvP (which I've only done once, at like 850 pts or something funny), I truly don't care. That's my perspective. Unless you're gonna drop serious coin on this game, you're not keeping up in the meta anyway. But if you will spend to keep up, then accelerating by just buying covers is a viable option, so then you've got an answer to the 2 year problem anyway.

I get that it's harder now, and I also get that people are way more competitive about video games than I am. So I get that there's a small subset of players where reaching the top tier is just too exhausting for their liking. I don't get wanting to change the game to appeal to that subset now or in the future.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

Too_many_pants
    lokivsleah
    eld_the_preth

Those are seed teams.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    FYI, be careful if you have a transitioning roster in this event. I found that for the next 2-3 events after a BoP, I was seeing these non-maxed 1* teams that I could play against. Haven't seen those in almost a year. It makes MMR think you can hang with much better rosters than you might be able to and you might get smacked around in upcoming events.

Regardless, it is a great event that is a nice change of pace in PVP.