12 hour subs - love it or hate it?

Options
13»

Comments

• TheViceroy
    TheViceroy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    The thing I hate most is getting automatically added into a bracket even though I haven't started it yet.
    I haven't even played the fight that would open up the bracket, yet somehow I'm already in one.

As a result, I haven't even been close to top 50 for any of these sub-brackets, especially the ones that start at 11 EST (which go overnight for me).

This is a problem with PVP event time, but this is much worse for PVE. I am missing out on a ****-ton of HC because I can't get into those reward tier or the sub-brackets. I've probably "lost" close to 250 HC that on previous events I've always gotten.

Content isn't the problem, as I've been trouncing these fights no problem. I can plow through them with no concern for Health Packs or anything. It's the timing constraints that are screwing me, and I can't make up any ground at all because it automatically adds me to a bracket when I'm not ready.
    I think I'm in the mid-200's in final ranking. If the 3 star reward wasn't Captain Marvel at the 150 tier (specifically her red power), I'd be MUCH more pissed.

I don't know how people have stayed even top 100 within their sub-brackets. I actually have a real life job.
  • aside from the event times selection a hit or miss for people, this is by far the best PvE simply because the amount of iso/hp you can get. The fact that each sub is only 12 hours gives me the flexibility to play effectively. Some days I just do not have time I can look forward to the next sub. And for grinders it makes no difference as you get to grind every sub there is from the get go and it also helps minimize the scaling due to reset.
  • Please keep in mind that 12 hour subs, has nothing to do with how ISO-8 Brotherhood is a great event for players. There is a reason many veterans wanted it for the Anniversary PvE.

I certainly have got far more HP in the regular incarnations of this event then with this time shortened version, but that has more to do being burned out on PvE after the last few new characters and less to do with 12 hour subs.
  • I swear if the next event they run is Heroic Jugg and due to a bug every reward has an extra 0 tacked on to it you'd see threads like "Heroic Jugg best event since sliced bread, more events should be like it!" There's no advantage to be gained as a matter of format because there's this quota of HP/iso that D3 is shooting for. Any ability to come ahead is either an oversight or at best a one-time gift.

One thing I noticed is that with the new time slice format you're pretty much always locked in a sub with the same persons as your main. This tends to cause sub rewards to be more spread out because there must be some days where it's just not very good for you compared to normal but is very good for someone else. Normally, on days that are bad for you, you can just wait until a later sub to mitigate that. Now, if you can't play until the last 2 hours of a 12 hour sub you're still stuck in a sub with everyone who was able to play all those 12 hours. Of course overall it has to be fair since the total number of winners hasn't changed, but it feels kind of unfair. I guess it just awards grinding even more as in this system no amount of grinding in the last 3-4 hours could possibly make up against a guy who has been hitting the nodes even somewhat casually in the first 12 hours. Now I think there should be an incentive to play the game, but the grinding in this game is getting awfully tiresome.
  • TheViceroy
    TheViceroy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I guess it just awards grinding even more as in this system no amount of grinding in the last 3-4 hours could possibly make up against a guy who has been hitting the nodes even somewhat casually in the first 12 hours. Now I think there should be an incentive to play the game, but the grinding in this game is getting awfully tiresome.

This 100%.

Auto-joining brackets is the problem.
    I usually am able to get top 50 no problem.
    For this event, it hasn't happened once, and it hasn't even been close.
    I have the roster strength to completely trivialize these nodes, but I just can't make up the ground I've lost because of the 2.5 refresh timer.

This highlights all of the problems with PVE, which should be mostly non-competitive. Having a competitive element is fine, sure, but it shouldn't be the main drive to determine the primary reward structure.
    You want competition, that''s what PVP is for.
    The better be looking at PVE overall, cause I do not think their format & structure has extended well as the player base has grown.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I guess it just awards grinding even more as in this system no amount of grinding in the last 3-4 hours could possibly make up against a guy who has been hitting the nodes even somewhat casually in the first 12 hours. Now I think there should be an incentive to play the game, but the grinding in this game is getting awfully tiresome.

This 100%.

Auto-joining brackets is the problem.
    I usually am able to get top 50 no problem.
    For this event, it hasn't happened once, and it hasn't even been close.
    I have the roster strength to completely trivialize these nodes, but I just can't make up the ground I've lost because of the 2.5 refresh timer.

This highlights all of the problems with PVE, which should be mostly non-competitive. Having a competitive element is fine, sure, but it shouldn't be the main drive to determine the primary reward structure.
    You want competition, that''s what PVP is for.
    The better be looking at PVE overall, cause I do not think their format & structure has extended well as the player base has grown.

To be fair, normally someone who can grind very hard in limited times has an advantage in the hard subs because other players might not be able to beat it reliably while you can. In this event, due to the mystery scaling that puts hard node at level 40 or so, there's absolutely no advantage gained as a function of skill/roster/scaling compared to normal. You can safely assume everyone can trivially bulldoze those level 40 nodes so if you missed any grinding you're not going to have a chance. I got totally clobbered on my ranking for any sub I wasn't able to grind out far more than usual.
  • Hated 12 hour subs. Busy at work and with other obligations means I had to miss entire subs, screwing me out of my ability to place. The tokens were nice but I HATED this format. If it came up more often that'd basically be a sign from the game that I should quit - I just couldn't keep up with other responsibilities, and I really am starting to hate PVP. So that leaves PVE, the lesser of two evils.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Overall I like the 12 hour sub concept. For me it meant I could do well in one sub, then not really worry about the one that ran over night for me, just maybe clearing it once or twice. My main issue is that I have had a lot of problems with Check Internet Connection coming up, and so not being able to connect for several hours at a time was a big impact during a 12 hour sub.

The short subs also made the content stay really fresh. When you only clear the sub 5 or 6 times the nodes don't get boring (unlike a Heroic Juggs where it is the same nodes for 3.5 days). So overall, it worked well for me.
  • I did like it a lot. Lots of rewards, alliance rewards and rewards from completing nodes.
    Chancing opponents all the time, it is really boring to play same nodes again and again and again.
    I have time to play couple times a day, and with the end time I chose, it was just when the subs end and new start, so it was easy to keep good score.
    And specially in this event I liked that levels on the enemys were so low, that I could use all my (new) unleveled heroes for a chance and try how their abilitys work together. It was really nice and lots of fun!
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I enjoyed this PvE more than any PvE since the first run on Deadpool. The nodes were fairly easy, and there weren't too many of them. I played more in the PvE than I have in the... well, in any since Deadpool. I only did two clears on the nodes in each sub, and still managed (somehow) to land a top 50 finish.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Love it over weekends, can see why it'd be a pain for people during the week.

Ultimately though, I do enjoy getting into it, playing it 5 or 6 times, and getting it finished. Playing the same nodes for 20 iso day after day drives me nuts.