12 hour subs - love it or hate it?

Options

Comments

• The biggest problem with 12 hour subs, is unless you are a robot, you will be asleep for half of half the subs. I have only played in the last hour of all the subs, and have gotten a bunch of tokens, ISO and all the progressions out of this event. So in this instance I am fine with them.

If this was for a new character, I would absolutely hate this format. By having 24 hr subs, every normal person is going to miss around the same amount of time on any particular sub (with the only issue being if the end time is bad for you - which selecting end times should theoretically solve).
  • I like this format. I can be super competitive in some subs and it only takes 12 hours. Then I can go on with my business, doing a small effort just to keep a moderate global rank without having to lose sleep.
  • a sure fire yes.

I dont think there is another other event that can offer up this much ISO/HP, and having split difficulty (excluding the recent experiment or bug) gives everyone ample chance at either competing or just relax and collect.

plus pulling 20 PvE tokens all at once does not hurt one bit. equally as exciting as grabbing the heroic 10 pack as you get more pulls during this event than the entire end of season rewards (for the average player)
  • GuiltTrip wrote:
    The biggest problem with 12 hour subs, is unless you are a robot, you will be asleep for half of half the subs. I have only played in the last hour of all the subs, and have gotten a bunch of tokens, ISO and all the progressions out of this event.
    In my case, I picked 24:00 end time which makes my sets run 24:00 to 12:00 (noon) and 12:00 to 24:00 (night). For the day subs, since I have ample/flexible free time I can grind it optimally, start at point, reruns each 2:30, milking at last hour, so far ended every one on first place. When subs change, I clear every node in them three times over, give me near 8h of refresh time so I can sleep just fine. Wake up with enough time for one full clear and 2 hours later draining everything. Ended up in top10 every time.

It's easily doable. In 24h format nothing really changes, everything depends on how many refreshes you can make optimally. Main difference being you only need to overplay nodes twice (before end time and before sleep) rather three (2 ends times + sleep).
  • Carnage_78
    Carnage_78 Posts: 304 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The 12 hours subs have been actually very good to me...

No, I can't grind an optimal amount of points since I am either at work or asleep during each sub...but neither can the other players I guess since with 36 hours left I am sitting in 4th place overall & 16,000 points over the 10th place which should allow me to get the 3 icon_caroldanvers.png covers without too much hassle. I guess the easy nodes across the board helped a lot over the weekend which probably explains my safety buffer in the rankings...

But what is really good are the quick & generous rewards! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I usually placed Top 10 in most of the subs...so 2 x 100 spideycoin.png + 2 x Event cardpack.png every 12 hours...plus 2 x Heroic cardpack.png from our alliance placement...and a bunch of iso8.png either from the nodes (including that do it once for big rewards node) & placement. The cardpack.png have been very generous to me as well...I think that I already scored 7 or 8 star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers that I needed... icon_cool.gif

So all in all, an easy event to grind as the nodes are few & easy to beat...quick rewards that keep on coming...and star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers on top of it all...this event as been most generous to me...so 12 hours subs? I truly like! icon_mrgreen.gif

EDIT: Just got a icon_nickfury.pngyellowflag.png & a icon_blade.pngblackflag.png out of my latest set of tokens...it keeps on raining useful covers for me in this event which is doing wonders for my progression into star.pngstar.pngstar.png land! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I would like it more if there were better/more options for end times. I'm on the East Coast of the U.S. and there wasn't a time slot available that would let me get a decent amount of sleep while still playing for the last hour or so of each sub.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    Fast turnover of nodes for more iso: fantastic.

Put up this format for a new character release: Hulk Smash angry.
  • I'm okay with them on this round. I am aiming for top 50 so it works well that I can grind down to 1 point before bed and wake up to grind it back down again for the overnight shifts. During the day play as normal. So far, I've not fallen below my targeted position. I did pick a slice that runs 900 to 2100 so it works on the west coast. Also, loving banking ISO/tokens during play at this pace.
  • Loved it on the weekend. During the week I'm apathetic to it, since no matter how long the sub, I'm screwed. I'm only home and awake and have time to be in front of my computer for at most 2-3 hours a day, so it could be a day and a half sub and I wouldn't be able to spend more time on it either way.

Maybe if there were more "Weekend only" events, then I would have a better opinion on the matter.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's OK.

I didn't realise the subs were so short for the first two days and ended up missing out on a bunch of everything. I also play much less on the weekends, so that didn't help. But those are both on me. Even from only getting silver tokens, I'm getting a lot of ISO, and I might be able to scrape that 2nd progression token.

I think that maybe offering 14 hour subs, so that the end times gradually rotate around, would be even better. There was an event that had 22 hour subs (first TaT, I think) which achieves a similar result of rolling end times, but I think it's agreed that the shorter subs are much more desirable.

I think I'd be happy with this format going forward.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    more iso = <3
  • Give us 2 hour subs!!! Oh.... Lightning rounds...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hate having "Check internet connection" near the end of a 12 hour sub. It's been pretty spotty today, slow to out several times.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Check Internet Connection happened to me both near the end of the this morning's subs and the current one. Grrrr...
  • You're not alone, getting that regularly just before noon. Thankfully for most of day sub I have WiFi available.
  • I am going to post dislike, again. Mainly because some guy (or gal) called Brishashi seems to have downvoted everyone who said they didn't like it, apart from my post, and that saddens me. icon_e_sad.gif
  • I am going to post dislike, again. Mainly because some guy (or gal) called Brishashi seems to have downvoted everyone who said they didn't like it, apart from my post, and that saddens me. icon_e_sad.gif
    Well... I countered all downvotes with upvotes if that helps? Some people don't get that downvotes are reserved for bad/troll/derogatory posts, not ones that you disagree with. Still this site have one of best use of this system I saw anywhere (Reddit, ahaha... ha... *cough*).
  • I personally like the 12 hr format. Plenty of time to do things & keep up. I've missed a day & a half of refreshes & still am holding 10th in my main. But the easiness of it all is pretty bad. I've used maybe 3 health packs the whole event. That is crazy! But the reward are nice, I'm getting tons of tokens per sub & my alliance is doing very well (currently 5th), which has netted even more tokens.[/b][/b]
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This one, on the weekend, I really liked. I got about 3k to 4k iso for doing each node on both subs one time through. Add in a few tokens to sell for another few hundred. That's a lot of iso if you get similar amounts every 12 hours. More if you gring each node for all 4 rewards. I was able to add quite a few levels this weekend. icon_e_biggrin.gif

and that's not counting the alliance rewards. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Hate it or love the 12 hours subs are on top,
    And they're gonna grind until the Event stops!

Personally, I liked them because I got so much HP out of them. T10 on almost all of them! I'm rich b*tch! (Not so much)

I don't think there is a reason to truly not like them or hate them. Let's compare them to 24hr subs. Sure you get to finish every sub, but you don't get to play all of it as you will have work and sleep on the way. So, T10 is for those who got nothing else to do that requires more than 2hrs.

12hr subs on the other hand are cool and here's why. It's the same as 24hrs, but you get to play half of them and finish T10 with not too much hassle. Personally, I played the subs that ended at 9pm and got T10 in all of them. The other ones that ended at 9am I only got T10 once, but it was not really worth it cause I had to grind the hell out of it before sleep and again 1 hours before it ended in the morning. I could do it once, but it's just too much to do that every day for 5 days. So, you are still not playing during the sleep times, but you get a chance for higher placement while you are awake.

OK, rubberband and scaling are not the same so more game time is required, BUT your time is valued here. If you have played X amount of time more than me, I should not be able to take advantage of the difference in points between us just because I choose to slack and then get rewards with min effort. Feels kind of unfair to those who are grinding their butts off (Me in this PVE).

One negative thing is the exhaustion, but this has always been the case with PVE. Seriously, I can't wait for the event to end so that I can relax a bit. But even if it does and and I get my 3 covers, will I be willing to go through it again next time? Dunno, this is an issue that can be solved with more event similar to "The Gauntlet" in my opinion, but that's another story.

Overall, good rewards, exhausting event.