Let's all pour one out for neskAw, down 1400 points in 15min

Unknown
edited December 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So I guess he mistimed his shield / fell asleep? But in 15 minutes he lost over 1400 points. Crazy!

Before: hes in 3rd place.

nmWLIcel.jpg

And after, in last:

3PiFTQtl.jpg

I reaaaaly hope he got a screenshot of -1400 points. Although if this were me I would have probably broken my phone out of frustration. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• And just why was this worth posting about? It seems that we should pour one out for you since you seem to have nothing better to do than make a post about this. I'll say a few words for you, don't worry.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, for one, that's a pretty sad thing to see at the end of a PvP. You have to take into account that most likely totaled around 2000 HP. To lose that in 15 minutes is nuts. Also, this is a good example at the games broken point system. No reason a person should lose 1400 points in 15 minutes.
  • And just why was this worth posting about? It seems that we should pour one out for you since you seem to have nothing better to do than make a post about this. I'll say a few words for you, don't worry.

Wow, angry much? lol Don't be mad at me because one of your guys made a bad mistake. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Ack. I thought losing 118 points was bad. icon_e_confused.gif

Not sure why the annoyance/down-voting though. Personally, I'm wholly sympathetic to the player. And agree that it's absurd someone should lose that many points in 15 mins. Guess shields are working as intended?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Clearly a touchy subject. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • The reason why you can lose that many points is because points after a certain threshold is completely artificial so it can definitely collapse the moment your shield is gone. Based on the ELO model someone who is 1200 higher than you has something like 99.9% chance of winning on defense and if you can't perform at that level the ELO rating quickly adjusts your score to compensate. Nobody is winning their defensive battle even anywhere near 90% (that'd be 400 higher) of the time.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    And just why was this worth posting about? It seems that we should pour one out for you since you seem to have nothing better to do than make a post about this. I'll say a few words for you, don't worry.

Wow, angry much? lol Don't be mad at me because one of your guys made a bad mistake. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Actually, I am not angry at all. I just don't see the point in making a thread about it. Mistakes happen all the time. I'm sure you have made more than your fair share of them.
  • Considering the time and money it takes to go to 2400, it's more devastating than funny. So the topic name could be different. But I'm glad it could be shown here, because it is stunning.

I'm sorry for him.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    The reason why you can lose that many points is because points after a certain threshold is completely artificial so it can definitely collapse the moment your shield is gone. Based on the ELO model someone who is 1200 higher than you has something like 99.9% chance of winning on defense and if you can't perform at that level the ELO rating quickly adjusts your score to compensate. Nobody is winning their defensive battle even anywhere near 90% (that'd be 400 higher) of the time.
    Exactly. At equilibrium, the best team in the game would probably come to rest somewhere around 600-700 pts. I never understood how the Devs could set Progression rewards at 1300 before shields. It's always seemed to me like they were asking us to break the laws of nature. But like a force of nature, its kind of awesome to see how quickly a score above 2000 will fall on it's way back to equilibrium.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The reason why you can lose that many points is because points after a certain threshold is completely artificial so it can definitely collapse the moment your shield is gone. Based on the ELO model someone who is 1200 higher than you has something like 99.9% chance of winning on defense and if you can't perform at that level the ELO rating quickly adjusts your score to compensate. Nobody is winning their defensive battle even anywhere near 90% (that'd be 400 higher) of the time.
    Exactly. At equilibrium, the best team in the game would probably come to rest somewhere around 600-700 pts. I never understood how the Devs could set Progression rewards at 1300 before shields. It's always seemed to me like they were asking us to break the laws of nature. But like a force of nature, its kind of awesome to see how quickly a score above 2000 will fall on it's way back to equilibrium.

The game could be easily boring if you just scored 600 points on each PvP.

The extra "work/stress/..." make the game more appealing than it is. It is just a match3 game basically.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    The extra "work/stress/..." make the game more appealing than it is. It is just a match3 game basically.

Sorry, but could not disagree more. Maybe it's just me, and I appreciate those at the top end are a different beast, but this is a game to me. You start adding "work" or "stress" into the mix and I am pretty much out. I could not fathom using my spare time on something that adds to my stress or workload.
  • For those who are addict/competitive, it is work and stress.

But I agree with you.

That's why I mentioned elsewhere that, for the ones addicted to the game, there is nothing to be done. We're not here to cure an addiction, for whatever reason.
  • Yeah, I am kind of interested in being in a top alliance, to see what it is like during an event. And then I think I would quit after one day icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually felt really bad about it when we realized what happened to him. It's a **** thing to have happen to someone especially when they've put a lot of time and HP in to putting up a monster score. I'm sure it won't slow him down though.
  • I actually felt really bad about it when we realized what happened to him. It's a tinykitty thing to have happen to someone especially when they've put a lot of time and HP in to putting up a monster score. I'm sure it won't slow him down though.

It happened to WR numerous times. But WR is like Beep-Beep.

o0b6tu.gif
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

The game could be easily boring if you just scored 600 points on each PvP.

If you're into that, sure. Deciding to only go to 600 or 900 unless I needed the top cover, instead of 1300 every PVP, is the only thing that kept me from quitting the game

The 500 iso isn't worth the ulcer
  • I definitely think the post is worthwhile. I wouldn't have imagined anyone could lose so many points so quickly so it's interesting and informative to see. It definitely sucks for him to have lost all that effort and HP.
  • arktos1971 wrote:

o0b6tu.gif

I've lost 1000+ probably a dozen times but fortunately never a the end of a PvP and SOME of my shield breaks are intentional. In fact I didn't shield Saturday night and lost 1300 pts in this very PvP. I guess someone forgot to tell TMZ though because it didn't make the news icon_e_sad.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    arktos1971 wrote:

o0b6tu.gif

I've lost 1000+ probably a dozen times but fortunately never a the end of a PvP and SOME of my shield breaks are intentional. In fact I didn't shield Saturday night and lost 1300 pts in this very PvP. I guess someone forgot to tell TMZ though because it didn't make the news icon_e_sad.gif
    I've done the same thing, not to that degree, but my strategy is generally to push as high as possible and not shield. Let the hits come in and spring back up om high point retaliations. It can work really well if you get enough good retaliations.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    As a member of WorldRunner's bracket one time when he did this I was in awe of how fast his score went down and equally impressed how fast it went back up.

Moral of this story once you have shielded on a high score make sure you set your alarm.