R65 MPQ high data consumption alert

Options
13»

Comments

• Yeah this is a different form of bug/issue. It just means I am unable to financially play the game. And that's not even "I can't afford health packs to compete" or whatever. Not as if this issue makes more money for D3, it is actively shrinking the cash pool that could be available to them. So you kinda think they would be all over this.

Or maybe they are, they just aren't communicating it very well. Wouldn't be the first time and at least if that were the case, hopefully a fix is coming soon.
  • There are very serious implications, yup. Imagine you're on a low income or in debt and all of a sudden the MPQ data usage lands you a huge bill. Even worse if you're on holiday / abroad and roaming data charges you at say $3 per MB of data and an idling MPQ is sitting there eating up 100+ mb of data per day...

Seriously guys, get a alert up in the game. It's not scaremongering, it's stopping hundreds or thousands of customers from facing severe financial penalties.
  • The sceptic in me says they won't, as it means people may automatically hit the "close" button and not come back for a while.

I do think they should be saying something though, even if it is "hey, this won't be a problem for most players, but we are being all nice and friendly because we love you guys, so check your data useage as there may be a problem for a few of you."
  • Please fix this ASAP, as this will cost me real money and that's something I'm sure your game won't give back to me.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    +1 to everything in this thread. In two days, I've used 3.3 GB on my home 'net. Considering all I've used it for is MPQ and FB/email, that's... pretty **** outrageous.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Supposedly the update currently on Google Play fixes data consumption. Ironically, I can't download the file to check right now because of data limits.
  • Really sorry, but that did make me chuckle.

I have managed to get onto the work wi-fi and download it. Hopefully this does the trick. But of a shame that not feedback from the developers in here though to say "yep, dealt with it guys, happy gaming".
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes it is rather shocking how they are addressing, or not addressing this issue.
    For all the previous gaffes (eg. power outage etc), the team has been gracious enough to offer tokens as way of compensation. However on those occasions the damage to players were covers/HP/iso - all in game commodities. This time round the damage is very real. This is not seeking compensation - i'm not even sure what form of compensation would be appropriate here - just saying that the damage this time is of a totally different dimension.

R65 went live on 17th Nov. To allow a bug with malicious effects to run amok for a full 7 days and counting, without immediate containment/mitigation measures, I find it nothing short of appalling. The team has done marvelous work to make this game great, but this booboo takes a big dent.

By the way much thanks to tobi for alerting the forums. For those outside the forums... they'll need more than luck to survive a big surprise
    Have...you actually been playing that long? they've offered compensation a grand total of 3 times
  • I tested the update this morning and on my phone at least, data consumption is back to normal. On the other hand, MPQ busted my data plan for the month so any mobile data I use for the next week is going to cost me.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tested the update this morning and on my phone at least, data consumption is back to normal. On the other hand, MPQ busted my data plan for the month so any mobile data I use for the next week is going to cost me.

Same here. It busted my month mobile limit too... wonder how much it's going to cost me!
  • Seems that today's update finally fix this issue + ally chat.
    I do the checking, keep the app run idle.

(After) There's only 1 instance of MPQ.exe
    AdXTfpX.jpg

(Before) There's 3 instance of MPQ.exe, with 1 instance constantly consuming bandwidth.
    Yms8C7a.jpg

Finally resolved, eventho it has cost me around 3GB from 17th-24th.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems to be fixed for me too. Now my montly data pot might actually last for the remainder of the week...
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm glad I happened to be checking the Bugs forum last week and saw the post about this right away. My plan throttles my speed after 4GB, so I'd be suffering until my billing cycle resets (like 2 weeks away).
  • I stopped playing a little over 2 weeks, but noticed this problem as well when i was still playing, or at least noticed all my data being eaten up, and ended up deducting that it was most likely MPQ that was eating it up like no tomorrow...