R65 MPQ high data consumption alert

Options

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mine's at about 200mb the last week, though it doesn't really matter since I got bumped to free unlimited LTE on TMobile!

But question, are people leaving MPQ running the background? I swipe it closed from the task switcher every time I exit. I bet a lot of the consumption is when you're not using it.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    Mine's at about 200mb the last week, though it doesn't really matter since I got bumped to free unlimited LTE on TMobile!

But question, are people leaving MPQ running the background? I swipe it closed from the task switcher every time I exit. I bet a lot of the consumption is when you're not using it.

I always kil it when I'm not using it. It chews up a lot even running in the background. I've found anyway
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For me, it used 277MB of foreground data but just 84kb of background.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:

Yeah, because closing it wipes out your queues. Especially during the LR times
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Yeah, because closing it wipes out your queues. Especially during the LR times

It hasn't wiped out my queues. When shield hopping, I usually line up high point targets ahead of time, then close the game. Then I come back when I'm ready to hop again, and they're still there.

The only difference with Lightning Rounds is you want the game open so that it loads seed teams right when the event starts. But closing doesn't wipe your queue.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When you load up a PvP event, the game queues opponents for you beyond the first three nodes you can see, so when you skip your next opponents appear immediately instead of there being a possible loading delay (if you've ever skipped a lot and saw the nodes vanish briefly, that's why - it was fetching your next queue "block" from the server and took too long). When you close and re-open the game it's that extended queue that gets wiped and re-loaded.

This is why if you open a lightning round when it starts, and then wait until the last ten minutes to play, you'll still face the full set of seed teams as long as you didn't close the game. (This was kind of a big deal in the anniversary lightning rounds)
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Just consider how lucky you guys are to still be able to play. Lollipop has a big group of us locked out. icon_e_sad.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Running in the background or not, data use is out of control with no change in play habit
  • Spencer75
    Options
    This needs fixed asap, I'll have to quit playing if it continues to chew data at this rate.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, this is not a good development.

I'm definitely going to have to buy additional data for my plan this month now. Good thing D3/demiurge will be happy to reimburse me.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Right now, solving this asap takes higher priority over new characters and waffles combined.

Releasing new characters is cool, releasing a bug to a million player base is not cool.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi,

We're working on a fix. Please see this thread in Bugs & Technical Issues: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19315

Here's word from Demiurge:
    "Demiurge_Kevin » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:34 am

Hi all, I'd love to hear more details about this. I see Android and PC users reporting in this thread; any iOS users having this problem? I'm asking because if it's PC and Android only, it's likely related to our chat problems. If iOS users are seeing this too, it's probably not related to chat.

I probably won't have time to reply to anything in this thread, but any reports are welcome.

Thanks!

Kevin Teich
    Demiurge Studios"
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When you load up a PvP event, the game queues opponents for you beyond the first three nodes you can see, so when you skip your next opponents appear immediately instead of there being a possible loading delay (if you've ever skipped a lot and saw the nodes vanish briefly, that's why - it was fetching your next queue "block" from the server and took too long). When you close and re-open the game it's that extended queue that gets wiped and re-loaded.

This is why if you open a lightning round when it starts, and then wait until the last ten minutes to play, you'll still face the full set of seed teams as long as you didn't close the game. (This was kind of a big deal in the anniversary lightning rounds)
    Or even if you don't have seeds queued, if you give it a few hours, usually at least a few of the people in your queue are worth more than their stated value since they climbed in the interim
  • ballingbees
    Options
    If a quick solution is not available at short notice, could we have a temporary downgrade back to R64 instead?
    Loss of leaderboard data don't hurt, but a burst data plan can.
  • Right now, solving this asap takes higher priority over new characters and waffles combined.

Releasing new characters is cool, releasing a bug to a million player base is not cool.
    This needs to be addressed immediately, at the very least with an in-game warning. Bugs are bad, bugs that cost your customers extra money are worse.

Agree, please fix this ASAP. This is a serious violation, this is a form of bandwidth theft.
  • ballingbees
    Options
    2eb4nxs.jpg
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Mine used .09 GB in 1 hours time. I never really paid attention before, so I don't know what it was before.
  • I am still getting this issue. Is it being sorted anytime soon? Going to get to a point where I don;t have any choice, this game doesn't get played due to data restrictions.
  • I am still getting this issue. Is it being sorted anytime soon? Going to get to a point where I don;t have any choice, this game doesn't get played due to data restrictions.

I'm kinda at that point already. At 96% of my data allowance for the month and MPQ accounts for 73% of that amount. 45% of my data allowance was eaten up by MPQ between 18-20th November before I noticed the thread in here.

It is abhorrent that MPQ hasn't issued a notice in the game about this issue, and I can only imagine how angry people are going to be when their mobile bills come in and they see what's been leaching their data.

Ordinarily I'd go out in my work lunchbreak and play some MPQ but that's not going to happen today because I need to make sure I'm avoiding mobile data as much as possible.
  • ballingbees
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes it is rather shocking how they are addressing, or not addressing this issue.
    For all the previous gaffes (eg. power outage etc), the team has been gracious enough to offer tokens as way of compensation. However on those occasions the damage to players were covers/HP/iso - all in game commodities. This time round the damage is very real. This is not seeking compensation - i'm not even sure what form of compensation would be appropriate here - just saying that the damage this time is of a totally different dimension.

R65 went live on 17th Nov. To allow a bug with malicious effects to run amok for a full 7 days and counting, without immediate containment/mitigation measures, I find it nothing short of appalling. The team has done marvelous work to make this game great, but this booboo takes a big dent.

By the way much thanks to tobi for alerting the forums. For those outside the forums... they'll need more than luck to survive a big surprise

Edit: Thanks to dev team for fixing the patch now