Character Rotations For Season VIII

Options

Comments

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just confirming, the way that changes to Heroic token probabilities extend to Event tokens will make these changes go live in the Simulator and Nefarious Foes tokens tomorrow too, correct?

If anyone else has Thor and Magneto covered to the build they prefer, it may be worth holding onto tonight's Simulator tokens until Blade is added Friday afternoon (for what little percentage that will be).
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This whole system is idiotic. The easy solution is to drop some of the 2*s from heroic and event packs. They already are in standard packs and available as prizes in PVPs. If they make the heroic packs 75% 3*s and 4*s (or 100%), the price could be raised and people would probably still them. Then they would not have to remove any characters from rotation and screw transitioning players.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This whole system is idiotic. The easy solution is to drop some of the 2*s from heroic and event packs. They already are in standard packs and available as prizes in PVPs.
    Packs could comfortably hold 5-7 more 2*'s, in my opinion.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Just confirming, the way that changes to Heroic token probabilities extend to Event tokens will make these changes go live in the Simulator and Nefarious Foes tokens tomorrow too, correct?

If anyone else has Thor and Magneto covered to the build they prefer, it may be worth holding onto tonight's Simulator tokens until Blade is added Friday afternoon (for what little percentage that will be).

I doubt it. I believe the token's probabilities are set when the event is started - so these will stay the same even after the Season starts.

You can confirm by clicking on the token probabilities after 1pm (EST) tomorrow...
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    mohio wrote:
    So I kind of understand why people are a little upset about losing a chance to get your favorite or currently most covered characters, but hear me out for a minute and let me tell you why this is not that big of a deal. First, the chances of you pulling the one guy you need most out of a token over one full season (so that's 4 weeks of tokens) is not very large. Second, the devs are basically telling us that they've planned out the rewards for the next 12 pvp and 3-4 pve and they were not going to offer any of the vaulted characters as rewards or feature them in events. So, wouldn't you like to build up the characters that are actually going to be featured over the next month? Now just about any lucky token pull will go towards a character you're definitely going to use soon, even if just for their featured event.

If one of the currently vaulted characters (who the player has partially covered) were to be featured in an upcoming PvP and PvE you would both be building up a character for those events as well as completing one that will allow you to do better in PvP in general. If one of the new characters were featured they would probably not be worth wasting ISOs on (other than Blade or Deadpool. I'm on the fence about Mystique). I leveled Colossus a bit last heroic and am still regretting it due to how bad he is.
    I agree with what you're saying, but I specifically mentioned that the devs already decided these characters are NOT going to be featured. This is why I understand the frustration; you want these guys to be featured to get an extra set of rewards and get them closer to finished (not YOU, but transitioners, etc.). My point is just that facing the fact that they're not going to be featured (which they're basically pulling off that bandaid right now as opposed to maybe bringing some back into rotation - getting your hopes up - but still not featuring them), it's not such a big deal that they're not going to be in the tokens.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I certainly hope you mean that the % of 2* vs 3* will not change, but the % of a particular 2* could drop to accommodate 5-7 more characters. As it stands in the Heroic packs each 2* cover has around 2.25% chance of being pulled (=6.75% rounded to 6.8% for most everyone & 4.5% of Bullseye). Since we can earn 2* covers randomly from PvP battles as well now, honestly giving us a 1% chance of any particular cover (so 3% each overall) wouldn't be too bad.

Compared to the old 1* - 2* transition, with the added PvP battle rewards, is incredibly easy! I think increasing the number of 2* characters by as many as 10 still wouldn't be as painful as the old transition was.

Honestly I think part of the anger newer players are having over the transition from 2* to 3* is due to the fact that it's so easy now to get a few maxed 2*'s making the slow process of 3* building seem by comparison even more tedious. That's not even taking into account the fact that the 3* transition has become MORE difficult than it was before.
  • No 2*'s will be rotating out.

There were other reasons why we pulled Bag-Man from packs (but left him in PvP rewards) - Peter Parker with a paper bag over his head is really fun to have in the game for someone like me, a Marvel fan who read and loved that story, but it feels un-Marvel-y if you run into him in that outfit as often as you run into Wolverine. Packs could comfortably hold 5-7 more 2*'s, in my opinion.

If you referring to the overall chance of getting a 2* out of the GOLDEN packs, which is already 11*6.8% + 4.5% = 72,5% for a heroic ten pack for a 2*, then feel free to add another 10 2* to those packs, as long as this overall 72,5% is not growing.

We all would appreciate to see this 72,5% decreasing slightly, as more and more 3* and 4* are creeping into the game, we need covers for...
  • I'm just gonna throw this out there - how are decisions made on which characters to rotate out? Because when I see an LThor in a pack, I think "yay, this might be the color I need to respec". When I see beast in my cover pack, I think "Yay, 500 ISO". And I don't even have max covers for my Beast! Can we please phase out characters who are terrible instead of characters who are really good? That way you guys can do what you said you could (work on balancing them so that they aren't complete wastes of space).
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    When Johnny Storm, the 2* Human Torch, was added to the game, Bag-Man was vaulted. The reasoning given was that the additional character was going to "dilute the token pool too much". Now that Ms. Marvel is being added, which 2* will be vaulted next to Bag-Man?

No 2*'s will be rotating out.

There were other reasons why we pulled Bag-Man from packs (but left him in PvP rewards) - Peter Parker with a paper bag over his head is really fun to have in the game for someone like me, a Marvel fan who read and loved that story, but it feels un-Marvel-y if you run into him in that outfit as often as you run into Wolverine. Packs could comfortably hold 5-7 more 2*'s, in my opinion.

Interesting, this prompted me to dig up the point at which Bag-Man was vaulted, since I wanted to make sure I got the wording right. The post is here: viewtopic.php?p=196705#p196705, but it's somewhat brief. Here it is in its entirity:
    Gameplay
    - Added Human Torch (Johnny Storm) to Standard and Heroic Comic Packs
    - Removed Spider-Man (Bag-Man) from Standard and Heroic Comic Packs

The removal of Bag-Man is to balance current odds of characters in the packs so that the rarer characters do not lower in odds too much for every 1* or 2* added. We are not actually removing Spider-Man (Bag-Man) from the game in any other capacity. As well, he is still available as a drop from Versus battles.

Balance was referred to in respect to "current" odds, but then there's the implication that rarer characters get reduced "for every 1* or 2* added". It seems to me that if 5-7 more 2*'s were added, we would only see a very slight decrease in 1* or 2* odds, and the 3* and 4*'s would take another hit.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm just gonna throw this out there - how are decisions made on which characters to rotate out? Because when I see an LThor in a pack, I think "yay, this might be the color I need to respec". When I see beast in my cover pack, I think "Yay, 500 ISO". And I don't even have max covers for my Beast! Can we please phase out characters who are terrible instead of characters who are really good? That way you guys can do what you said you could (work on balancing them so that they aren't complete wastes of space).

Have the devs actually admitted that Beast is as bad as the userbase here says he is? Because if not, it's possible that they don't share our opinion of him.
  • CNash wrote:
    I'm just gonna throw this out there - how are decisions made on which characters to rotate out? Because when I see an LThor in a pack, I think "yay, this might be the color I need to respec". When I see beast in my cover pack, I think "Yay, 500 ISO". And I don't even have max covers for my Beast! Can we please phase out characters who are terrible instead of characters who are really good? That way you guys can do what you said you could (work on balancing them so that they aren't complete wastes of space).

Have the devs actually admitted that Beast is as bad as the userbase here says he is? Because if not, it's possible that they don't share our opinion of him.

If they can estimate which chars are used and how much, I am pretty sure that Beast is hanging out with Bag-Man somewhere down there.
  • After 130 days of playing (played from before S1, but missed season here and there during breaks) 3* covers from top:
    12 BP (due to him being handled out like candies on Halloween lately in guaranteed rewards)
    8 Pun
    7 Thor and Widow
    6 Patch, Sentry, Loki
    Everything else 5 or, most likely, less.

Widow is not really playable, Sentry will get nerfed before I got it fully covered, Loki is Loki. Every other is viable character, and is getting vaulted. This pretty much makes next season dead in terms of transitioning - apart from BP, any character I pull is going to be something that won't help me for half year or more. Also some people are underplaying tokens as way of progression - they are (were) together with PvE rewards the highest chance of receiving something for improving roster. Right now rewards I will have offered is something that may or may not become playable once summer comes. I feel so thrilled for next season...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Okin107 wrote:
    CNash wrote:

If they can estimate which chars are used and how much, I am pretty sure that Beast is hanging out with Bag-Man somewhere down there.

Their queries would need to be granular enough to determine whether he's not being used because he's not fully covered / leveled, or not being used because people are just running Sentry / Hood teams and not using anyone else... and probably a bunch of other use cases too. Also, data is good, but in the end it can't provide insight into people's opinions.
  • At the rate I've pulled all the other 3* compared to him, I was sure cMags was already out of the tokens.

I've had him at 5/5/1 for about 6-7 months now. If I wasn't for the old Lightning Rounds where they awarded covers for the featured character instead of tokens, I'd never have been able to get Magneto covers.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    ZeiramMR wrote:

I doubt it. I believe the token's probabilities are set when the event is started - so these will stay the same even after the Season starts.

You can confirm by clicking on the token probabilities after 1pm (EST) tomorrow...

Simulator pack odds will change when rotation happens, but Nefarious Foes packs will not, due to the way those packs work differently (Nefarious Foes has a one-off pack structure, while the Simulator inherits the base odds that most packs share; those base odds change when we do character rotation, but there's too much risk involved in changing pack odds that are specific to a single event while it's still running).
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:

I certainly hope you mean that the % of 2* vs 3* will not change, but the % of a particular 2* could drop to accommodate 5-7 more characters

Yeah, that's exactly right. No plans to decrease the proportion of 3*s.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Simulator pack odds will change when rotation happens, but Nefarious Foes packs will not, due to the way those packs work differently (Nefarious Foes has a one-off pack structure, while the Simulator inherits the base odds that most packs share; those base odds change when we do character rotation, but there's too much risk involved in changing pack odds that are specific to a single event while it's still running).

Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for filling us in. So you're saying that the PVPs get a on-off pack structure that is generated when the event starts, but the PVEs are the standard Heroic pack with modified percentages?
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    Interesting, this prompted me to dig up the point at which Bag-Man was vaulted, since I wanted to make sure I got the wording right. The post is here: viewtopic.php?p=196705#p196705, but it's somewhat brief. Here it is in its entirity:
    Gameplay
    - Added Human Torch (Johnny Storm) to Standard and Heroic Comic Packs
    - Removed Spider-Man (Bag-Man) from Standard and Heroic Comic Packs

The removal of Bag-Man is to balance current odds of characters in the packs so that the rarer characters do not lower in odds too much for every 1* or 2* added. We are not actually removing Spider-Man (Bag-Man) from the game in any other capacity. As well, he is still available as a drop from Versus battles.

Balance was referred to in respect to "current" odds, but then there's the implication that rarer characters get reduced "for every 1* or 2* added". It seems to me that if 5-7 more 2*'s were added, we would only see a very slight decrease in 1* or 2* odds, and the 3* and 4*'s would take another hit.

Gotcha, thanks for that archaeology. That looks to me like it might be a misunderstanding by the person who put the patch notes together (if so, sorry for that); it's also possible that it reflects a change in thinking about pack construction in the months since then (I'd have to do some archaeology of my own to reconstruct the timeline of how our paper designs for packs have changed).

In the current pack design, if we add more 2*s, their odds come out of other 2*s. That's what's happening with Ms. Marvel when she enters packs today.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:

Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for filling us in. So you're saying that the PVPs get a on-off pack structure that is generated when the event starts, but the PVEs are the standard Heroic pack with modified percentages?

The inside-the-sausage-factory details: most events, both PvE and PvP, inherit from a set of base odds and then make tweaks to them ("feature this character" or "feature this character and increase the odds of these other characters a smaller amount"). A few, and Nefarious Foes is one of them, have a different pack structure than usual and are custom-built. When it's time for character rotation and we change the base odds, most event packs change, but the custom-built ones won't until we run them again. (It would be technically possible to change those packs too, but we want to focus our testing efforts on making sure everything goes smoothly with the majority of packs - we try to measure our efforts in awesomeness-per-person-day, and changing the characters available in that one pack for 12 hours doesn't score highly.)

• Gotcha, thanks for that archaeology. That looks to me like it might be a misunderstanding by the person who put the patch notes together (if so, sorry for that); it's also possible that it reflects a change in thinking about pack construction in the months since then (I'd have to do some archaeology of my own to reconstruct the timeline of how our paper designs for packs have changed).

In the current pack design, if we add more 2*s, their odds come out of other 2*s. That's what's happening with Ms. Marvel when she enters packs today.

The main problem here is that, except for the Anniversary Packs, no one on the forum is interested to spend $50 for a bunch of 2* everyone already has.

So you should create Packs for the veterans (since you are telling us the "new" Packs are selling so well).

Because the community is not really happy about how the things are going at the moment with the 3* covers.

You should stop the "quick cash" strategy and think about us as customers or potential customers. You should give forumites credit when they tell you the Packs suck, even if the player base is not so important on the forum. We are the ones you are interacting with, so take us seriously.

Thank you.