Character Rotations For Season VIII

Options

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Since the vaulted characters from this past season left the LR rotation, I assume the same will be true for cMags? Who will be taking his place? Or is that still to be decided?

We've actually only got 5 "active" villains in the 3* tier, and we're subbing Mags out and adding Mystique. So I don't think there's any prizes for guessing.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    mohio wrote:
    Since the vaulted characters from this past season left the LR rotation, I assume the same will be true for cMags? Who will be taking his place? Or is that still to be decided?

We've actually only got 5 "active" villains in the 3* tier, and we're subbing Mags out and adding Mystique. So I don't think there's any prizes for guessing.

She's too new. The ONLY thing going for her is she is the only real remaining option.

I'd say even Ares or Deadpool could be more likely. Ares would actually be a good choice for a number of reasons.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    From a "drive participation" viewpoint, Mystique makes perfect sense. Short of buying the covers outright players have 24 shots every other week to get tokens with an increased Mystique draw rate.

Unless you're placing top 5 every time she's offered it could easily take another 60 days to complete her without some token love.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I desperately want Sentry vaulted. I have him cover maxed, I don't like him, I don't want to use him and half the very rare times when I pull a gold cover, it is yet another extra Sentry. Give those covers to someone else, please. I've already discarded about 2 covers and used another one to respec.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    mohio wrote:

She's too new. The ONLY thing going for her is she is the only real remaining option.

I'd say even Ares or Deadpool could be more likely. Ares would actually be a good choice for a number of reasons.
    Being new didn't stop The Kraken to enter LRs last season.

And there will never be a 2* featured in a LR, with the covers dropping like candy in PVP. The point of a LR is to make people want to have the featured char on their roster, and spend HP to do so. Doesn't work with 2*s.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I desperately want Sentry vaulted. I have him cover maxed, I don't like him, I don't want to use him and half the very rare times when I pull a gold cover, it is yet another extra Sentry. Give those covers to someone else, please. I've already discarded about 2 covers and used another one to respec.

That pulls up the ladder behind you for all the people who don't have a max Sentry.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    dkffiv wrote:
    While the change is good for me as I've completed all those characters, this is absolutely terrible for new players. Thor/Patch/Torch/Punisher/CMag are some of the best characters for transitioning players and yet you leave in IM40/Spider-Man and to a lesser extent Falcon/Psylocke/Hulk. My first covered 3* was IM40 back in the day and at least we had true healing to make him serviceable. I would hate to be a new player with my first fully covered 3* being Captain Marvel or Beast.
    Eventually those transition-player-friendly characters will get rotated out anyway. It would be terrible to transition-players now or later regardless.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    that means, that while I was focusing in transition on Punisher and Patch - which now are laying in my roster without any progress for a month due to missing covers - I won't be able to complete their transition/maxing until any time soon, because they will remain vaulted during season VIII...

Hope the MMR change you guys announced will help me to be able to compete for top 5 now even without any maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png character, otherwise this just suck...

Please remove also Hulk from the rotation - that's what the transitioning player base needs the most....or not?
  • Guys at MPQ, I am really concerned now.

Already 4 of the characters that I have 5-7 covers on are out of rotation for another month at least (CMags, Thor, Patch, Punisher). I was looking forward to having a second char above 100. Now it seems like I have to just wait until I get covers for another char, which is very slow.

I am close to touching 3* land, but if you take these chars out, you put me 1-2 months back. Will my transition ever end? Removing characters from reach slows transition down. New characters don't help in getting closer to those playable 3*. They are extra work for me which I cannot afford at the moment.

Please guys, revise your decision about char rotation. The number of new characters is way too high for this solution to be viable any longer.

Any information on a new solution about this?
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    On the one hand, we had warning of this, so I really can't and won't complain too much because I really like what this is supposed to help do and I support it, but I am also feeling a bit of a bite because now I'm kind of lost as to who I'm supposed to build next (though admittedly, I might as well just collect anybody who comes my way if I have space).

My 2* roster is mostly done; I have Wolverine, Ares, Magneto (almost done; certain colors simply elude me), Captain America, Classic Storm, OBW, Modern Hawkeye, Human Torch, Daken (almost done), Bullseye, Moonstone (missing several, but I don't really care), and Ms. Marvel (missing a few, but she's new!).

My 3* roster is... on its way. Slowly! I have a LOT of one and two covered characters and a few characters who have a few more covers... but who are still missing quite a few regardless. The ones who are better covered are all the older characters like The Hulk, The Punisher, The Hood, Ragnarok, and Magneto with Steve Rogers, Human Torch, and Psylocke coming in close after.

I'm guessing that most everyone else is collecting covers at a more accelerated pace than I am re: Alliance rewards and more consistent PvP participation (trying! it's working... sometimes!) so perhaps this rotation works out okay. Given that this is partly my own fault, too, I can accept this.

However, I'm just slightly concerned that my pace might get spread out even more thinly (for example, no more building Mags right now or Modern Thor) than it already is. On the other hand, maybe this will just mean that I will collect the other newer covers a bit faster, too?
    Frank Castle - also known as The Punisher - was at a Ye Olde Hot Dog Stand and getting ready to buy himself a few Hot Dogs to tide himself over for his wait in the Vault of Holding when he heard the familiar 'whoosh' of a cape fluttering in the wind behind him.

He didn't have to turn his head around to see who it was; the gloomy silence that radiated from behind him told him everything he needed to know and if he somehow still missed it, the light rattling of the metal Hot Dog Stand said everything else... and then some.

"So they got you, too, huh?" he asked in a conversational tone of voice.

The withering glare aimed at the back of his head made him smirk faintly; oh how the mighty had fallen.

"Now if only the uppity and uncontrollable Robert were here to join us as well," the voice of Max Eisenhardt - also known as Magneto - crooned darkly.

"Apparently, it's out with the old and in with the new for them!" Frank couldn't help but snark and was treated to another withering glare.

Max opened his mouth to retort, but was interrupted by, "That will be five dollars, sir!"

The Hot Dog vendor's untimely announcement earned her an almighty glare from two pairs of eyes and she gulped. Obviously, it was a bad idea to interrupt a face-off between men such as the ones who were frequenting her Hot Dog Stand.

"You mean TEN dollars, young miss, and for FOUR Hot Dogs," Max's accented no-nonsense voice finally growled out from behind clenched teeth and to the tune of Frank's steadily climbing eyebrow and dropped jaw, he plunked down a neatly folded but still crisp ten dollar bill and swept up four hot dogs.

When Frank opened his mouth to speak, Max beat him to it.

"Shut up, Frank," Max said and with four Hot Dogs in a paper bag - including the two that were supposed to be Frank's, he levitated himself up and away before the other man could respond or protest.

Robert Reynolds - also known as the Sentry - might have the power of one million exploding suns, but he was the absolute Master of Magnetism and magnetic forces and unlike Sentry, was in no danger of blowing himself up from one wrong move or from sheer twitchiness. Robert, on the other hand...

Lips curled into a feral grin, Max smiled to himself as he settled to eat his hot dogs.

Yes, the time would come for even Robert; he would just have to be patient and wait.
  • dr tinykittylove
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:

That pulls up the ladder behind you for all the people who don't have a max Sentry.

The game is perfectly playable without Sentry. I have him as an honorary 2* at L95 along with several other 3*s, Nick and Dino, and pit them against 2* and transition teams. Never Sentry-bombed except a couple of times as a joke.

He's not actually useful unless you want to shield-hop like the XMen. Worse than useless, when I encounter unfortunate transitioning teams whose highest levelled 3* is Sentry. Patch, Hulk, Steve and Thor are all much more versatile when you have a limited roster.
  • Moral
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:

The game is perfectly playable without Sentry. I have him as an honorary 2* at L95 along with several other 3*s, Nick and Dino, and pit them against 2* and transition teams. Never Sentry-bombed except a couple of times as a joke.

He's not actually useful unless you want to shield-hop like the XMen. Worse than useless, when I encounter unfortunate transitioning teams whose highest levelled 3* is Sentry. Patch, Hulk, Steve and Thor are all much more versatile when you have a limited roster.

Only for shield hopping?

If you're not hopping, Sentry does a good job of chasing off anyone without a Hood. Sentry is still an excellent way of protecting points if your score is under 600 without spending HP
  • Moral wrote:
    Nellobee wrote:

Only for shield hopping?

If you're not hopping, Sentry does a good job of chasing off anyone without a Hood. Sentry is still an excellent way of protecting points if your score is under 600 without spending HP

Below 600, even below 700, LThor is doing the trick, too. And i can imagine, that an LDaken max level might scare a lot of people below 600 points as well, by the latest if combined with some kind of meatshield. Or a nice, sweet Hulk with proper skilling...
  • dr tinykittylove
    Options
    Meutrich wrote:
    Moral wrote:

Only for shield hopping?

Below 600, even below 700, LThor is doing the trick, too. And i can imagine, that an LDaken max level might scare a lot of people below 600 points as well, by the latest if combined with some kind of meatshield. Or a nice, sweet Hulk with proper skilling...

Exactly. And when you don't have a deep roster to play with, it makes no sense to use him either in pvp or pve because he's going to break all your other toys too.

Sentry is easily countered with juggs and obw, either as team members or tus.
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    From a personal perspective very disappointed as Patch, Punisher and Thor are some of my more covered characters and would love the chance to get more of them.

David, don't suppose you have any info on why the decision was made to just make small changes to the vaulted characters?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the rate I've pulled all the other 3* compared to him, I was sure cMags was already out of the tokens.
  • Moral
    Options
    Meutrich wrote:
    Moral wrote:

Only for shield hopping?

Exactly. And when you don't have a deep roster to play with, it makes no sense to use him either in pvp or pve because he's going to break all your other toys too.

Sentry is easily countered with juggs and obw, either as team members or tus.

If you're climbing to 600 on the back of Sentry, you're doing it wrong. When you're out of health packs you fight a battle with Sentry to break everyone else's toys while you wait 2.5 hours.

Nobody cares how badly Sentry hurts their own team when it's being played by the AI. Sure you can counter World Rupture with OBW and Juggernaut but see how your score holds up after a few hours leaving that team up.

It's all about punishing the attacker.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am very dissappointed by the fact that none of the characters who were out were rotated in (and other rotated out.) If this system is going to work at all, it has to change often to allow for people to make choices on what they can or cannot get out of their tokens - if a particular season's character set doesn't work for your roster development you can always save your tokens until the next Season to see if you can't get better odds.

This... doesn't work. The characters who are out will stay out for another three weeks - possibly more, and other characters are rotated out to join them. This current system of slow rotation only favors those who have maxxed out all their older characters. I will use myself as an example - out of the characters rotated out, I have a decent number of covers but not a lot - point of fact I have maxxed out none of these characters. The closest I have is Human Torch - I have 12 out of the 13 covers (5/3/4 - a green would be optimal, but I'll take a black.) I do have a maxxed color here and there (Punisher's black, Doctor Doom's Black, and I'll get a fifth green in Patch eventually.) Magento is the only character in the "vault" whom I have actually fully covered. I saved my tokens banking on the fact that I could cash them in for better odds - I have a total of six characters fully covered and the most recent one is Mohawk Storm.

I realize that it is almost certainly too late for Season Eight, but I beg you to reconsider. Other than the 2 color villians and Daredevil, every single one of the vaulted characters are invaluable to a transition player. Keeping them vaulted hurts us.

Can we at least have the reasoning behind the characters? Sure, the two-color characters I can understand - they are at a distinct disadvantage in the game and you do intend to add a third cover eventually, but what about Magneto? Punisher? Patch? None of these characters seem particulary unbalanced either way, nor are they the oldest characters that are likely to be fully covered.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mawtful wrote:
    When Johnny Storm, the 2* Human Torch, was added to the game, Bag-Man was vaulted. The reasoning given was that the additional character was going to "dilute the token pool too much". Now that Ms. Marvel is being added, which 2* will be vaulted next to Bag-Man?

No 2*'s will be rotating out.

There were other reasons why we pulled Bag-Man from packs (but left him in PvP rewards) - Peter Parker with a paper bag over his head is really fun to have in the game for someone like me, a Marvel fan who read and loved that story, but it feels un-Marvel-y if you run into him in that outfit as often as you run into Wolverine. Packs could comfortably hold 5-7 more 2*'s, in my opinion.
  • There were other reasons why we pulled Bag-Man from packs (but left him in PvP rewards) - Peter Parker with a paper bag over his head is really fun to have in the game for someone like me, a Marvel fan who read and loved that story, but it feels un-Marvel-y if you run into him in that outfit as often as you run into Wolverine. Packs could comfortably hold 5-7 more 2*'s, in my opinion.

Any chance of rotating Bullseye out at some point in the future to give him a third power? He's the only two-skill 2* left.