Children of the Atom - Nov 9-11

Options

Comments

• Honestly, I think the X-Men installed a revolving door when it came to letting people in to party up with.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For anyone who's already started, how do the brackets look? I'd like to drop in and fool around, but I do need that top25 blue, and if it looks like crazy brackets again, I'll have to gamble on a later start.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Hrm. This will be the first yellow Hood I've seen in litterally months (I missed the first MPQ vs Deadpool.) My Hood is currently at 2/5/5. Think I should respec toward 5/5/3 or leave him at 3/5/5 - which is where he'll be at the end of this event...

For Sentry hopping 3,5,5 is best. For everyone else 5,5,3 is best.
    5 in yellow is nice becuase it won't end your turn if you fire it off.

That's what I've been told. I suspect I'll land on leaving him 4/5/4 which is where he'll be at the end of the event with an eye toward getting him to 5/3/3 - I don't Sentry-hop that much and I typically try to do it with Daken rather than the Hood to try and save on the need for Sacrifice. 3 in black is also decent to take a nasty chomp on the enemy, too.

I'l think on it more, thanks for the feedback.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Hrm. This will be the first yellow Hood I've seen in litterally months (I missed the first MPQ vs Deadpool.) My Hood is currently at 2/5/5. Think I should respec toward 5/5/3 or leave him at 3/5/5 - which is where he'll be at the end of this event...

That's what I've been told. I suspect I'll land on leaving him 4/5/4 which is where he'll be at the end of the event with an eye toward getting him to 5/3/3 - I don't Sentry-hop that much and I typically try to do it with Daken rather than the Hood to try and save on the need for Sacrifice. 3 in black is also decent to take a nasty chomp on the enemy, too.

I'l think on it more, thanks for the feedback.

In certain sentry hops having 3 in black has actually helped me because I hit intimidation and then another ability to kill the final player, so I did not take as much damage. Good Luck
  • I'm building 2 Hoods and they're both 3-5-5 because until Sentry Bombing is nerfed, 5 black is FAR more effective at the top end of PvP than 5 yellow could ever be. Outside of top end PvP there are still far better uses for yellow AP than twin pistols unless you're in a very long match against an opponent with special tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm building 2 Hoods and they're both 3-5-5 because until Sentry Bombing is nerfed, 5 black is FAR more effective at the top end of PvP than 5 yellow could ever be. Outside of top end PvP there are still far better uses for yellow AP than twin pistols unless you're in a very long match against an opponent with special tiles.

I dont agree with this at all. The second best duo for pvp is xforce hood, and with that team, if the featured character doesnt have a good yellow, then you're going to be using twin pistols a lot, in which case 5/5/3 is paramount to success.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For anyone who's already started, how do the brackets look? I'd like to drop in and fool around, but I do need that top25 blue, and if it looks like crazy brackets again, I'll have to gamble on a later start.

I have not started yet, but becuase we are between seasons I don't think scores will be crazy. I could be wrong but I don't see people scoring 2000 points with no season implications. That is a lot of HP to spend for little reward. People who will be hopping to 1300 will be going for the fury cover only.
  • Any high/low bracket numbers out there? Looking to see when I should start. I mean, it's the only thing going on, so I will most likely start tonight - but it'd be nice if I could jump into a fresh one.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Does this off-season PVPS use (normal) season MMR or not?
    Does finishing high in there PVPs mess up your MMR for upcoming season?
  • Phillipes wrote:
    Does this off-season PVPS use (normal) season MMR or not?
    Does finishing high in there PVPs mess up your MMR for upcoming season?

I believe you're asking two different questions as if they are one.

You only have one MMR (match making ranking/rating). This is the invisible number that determines the strength of other rosters you will see. Increasing it during any event will mean it is higher in the next one, the same with decreasing it. The only thing that doesn't affect it is Lightning Rounds. They'll use your MMR to determine the opponents you see at the start, but victories here won't scale you up during the next LR, or any other event. How you place (3rd place versus 93rd place) does not (as best we know) impact your MMR. Winning a lot of matches does.

The other thing that I think you are asking is about whether placing in 1st place will affect your sharding for future events. That answer is also yes. To not get overly specific, if you finish first in every one of the off season events, the next bracket that you join will just see that you finished first. It won't care whether that was in a season event or non season event (again, LRs should not really affect this). Conversely, if you take the week off and are accustomed to scoring in top 5 every PvP, and you score 300th for the three this week, you should probably get an easier bracket once you finally go back to full strength.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    The other thing that I think you are asking is about whether placing in 1st place will affect your sharding for future events. That answer is also yes. To not get overly specific, if you finish first in every one of the off season events, the next bracket that you join will just see that you finished first. It won't care whether that was in a season event or non season event (again, LRs should not really affect this). Conversely, if you take the week off and are accustomed to scoring in top 5 every PvP, and you score 300th for the three this week, you should probably get an easier bracket once you finally go back to full strength.
    Is this true? I've never heard that your actual placement affected your bracketing in the future.
  • Also interested to see how competitive these brackets are going to get. My hood is 5/2/5 right now, so I just need the blue. This ends at noon for me, so I'm going to have to throw down a 12 hour shield at the end, which isn't worth it if I'm only going to end up top 100.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    j12601 wrote:
    Is this true? I've never heard that your actual placement affected your bracketing in the future.

A few people have mentioned how when they put in a negligible effort in a couple of PvPS for real life reasons, they came back and had super fluffy brackets. I don't think any of us will see this if we're still scoring in the multiple 3 star.png cover range instead of top 5, but a couple events with 2 star.png placement will likely get you a nicer bracket once you come back.
    Thing is, those of us who score in the top tier, aren't really likely to drop down that much voluntarily, since that's where the imcoin.png and iso8.png rewards are best, even when we don't need the covers.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

I seldom Sentry hop (I just don't find it fun), but I'm still going for 3/5/5 because I run Lazy Cap a lot, and being able to speed up all his CD tiles makes a big difference.
  • Rusalka wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

I seldom Sentry hop (I just don't find it fun), but I'm still going for 3/5/5 because I run Lazy Cap a lot, and being able to speed up all his CD tiles makes a big difference.

5/5/3 works fine with LCap and it's rare that you'll need intimidation to trigger on more than 3 countdown tiles unless you're also running IM40 and in that case 3/5/5 works well since Recharge lvls 1-3 is the better outlet for yellow.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Red Panda wrote:
    Rusalka wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:

5/5/3 works fine with LCap and it's rare that you'll need intimidation to trigger on more than 3 countdown tiles unless you're also running IM40 and in that case 3/5/5 works well since Recharge lvls 1-3 is the better outlet for yellow.

Yeah, Cap/Hood/IM40 is my favorite PVE team, and I'll often run it early in PVP also. Cap's only real weakness is that he's slow, but Hood and IM40 totally fix that.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I have two Hoods, both 5/5/3. Could build a 3/5/5 Hood easily, too, but I just don't Sentry hop that much lately (XFood yay!), and most times I wiped on offense was definitely not thanks to the Sacrifice tile being lost in cascades but thanks to underhealed characters. Besides, using Intimidation in fast-pace hopping means boosting all AP since going after two black matches is out of the question normally, and all-AP boosting is kinda expensive.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    the only reason i want rewards is to respec my second hood from 5/4/4 to 5/5/3 cause yellow not ending the turn and one ap less makes a lot of difference. Also this one....yeah Sentry/hood teams? X-Force wipes half sentry's health with 8 green, and i can guarantee outside of **** cascades that i will focus on green and get 8 green before you can get 7 green.
  • It seems like your MMR may change for events that feature drastically different team lineup. I'm pretty sure at least any event that limits you to a certain lineup (say, DA only) I definitely don't see the same guys I usually do. I'm not sure what happens when it's only a massive buff to certain characters like this event but I think it's still slightly different than normal.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:

3/5/5/ for PVP. the 5th black is a game changer for Sentry bombers. At 5black, hood can immediate trigger all WR CD tiles after placing Sacrifice strike tile. No risk of having the AI match away the tile, or do anything to delay WR.

5/5/3 for PVE. The twin pistols can be used to get rid of CD tiles, its like Captain America but with a bigger range. I think its a bit expensive to cast, but it can be a game changer in goon nodes.

edit
    Lots of people have commented on this question, so I'll just clarify one thing.
    3/5/5 for Sentry bombing. the 5th black is a game changer for Sentry bombers. At 5black, hood can immediate trigger all WR CD tiles after placing Sacrifice strike tile. No risk of having the AI match away the tile, or do anything to delay WR.

5/5/3 for PVE. The twin pistols can be used to get rid of CD tiles, its like Captain America but with a bigger range. I think its a bit expensive to cast, but it can be a game changer in goon nodes.

4/5/4 if you want hood black to power a non World Rupture countdown tiles. The 5th reduces all CD by 1. World rupture is the strongest beneficiary of 5 black. Captain America's only generates 1 or 2 CD tiles at a time so 4 Black is more than sufficient to speed him up. 3 Black can be very effective as long as you are not trying to speed up the 8+ CD tiles created by World rupture.