The word is out : How much for Iso ?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok. Many say they would never buy Iso (probably because the price is horrendous) but at the same time many complain they can't level characters because too much Iso is needed.

So, what is the price you'd agree on buying Iso ?

You may select 2 options so that if the cheapest option was not available in reality you'd agree on

Please do not select the cheapest because it is the cheapest.

If you choose "cheaper than that", please elaborate below.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• I voted $15 but I was thinking Aussie dollars not USD, so really it's more like $10 USD
  • over_clocked
    Options
    I would happily buy 100k ISO for 10 bucks especially since I don't need HP anymore but would still like to thank the dev team with small purchases from time to time.
    But if ANYONE could do that, no way man x) Thus, the first option and no ISO purchases. I used to think the prices were outrageous but they actually keep MPQ from being completely P2W. Give me more opportunities to grind for ISO fair and square and I'm happy.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    if prices are to be lowered, 100,000 for $9.99 is fair. ISO pricing is currently tagged in a way that makes it look like its worth more than or equal to HP which obviously its not, all it does is level up, buy boosts, pay skip tax and buy a standard recruit token (which is 500 ISO, yuck).

basically why should I waste $10 for 6400 ISO which would only give a few levels when I can spend $10 on HP and get 1200 HP which is only 50 HP away from me adding that last power rank to a 3* that I really want done or buying a few of the ever so valuable roster slots.
  • locked wrote:
    I used to think the prices were outrageous but they actually keep MPQ from being completely P2W.

Nope. Because if nearly everybody can buy Iso, everyone becomes equal (veterans vs newcomers), so it's LESS P2W than it is now.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I used to think the prices were outrageous but they actually keep MPQ from being completely P2W.

Nope. Because if nearly everybody can buy Iso, everyone becomes equal (veterans vs newcomers), so it's LESS P2W than it is now.
    But everyone SHOULDN'T be buying ISO in a F2P game. The price on ISO is deliberately high so that only few whales can afford to buy it, you included, absolutely no one wants to suddenly see 10000 more mini-Arktoses running around, Arktos. Take it as a compliment, your roster is truly impressive for someone that plays in your chosen style.
  • locked wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    locked wrote:

But everyone SHOULDN'T be buying ISO in a F2P game. The price on ISO is deliberately high so that only few whales can afford to buy it, you included, absolutely no one wants to suddenly see 10000 more mini-Arktoses running around, Arktos. Take it as a compliment, your roster is truly impressive for someone that plays in your chosen style.

10000 more mini-Arktoses, that's priceless, it would truly be an Arktos-eat-Arktos world
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just looking at it semi-rationally, they currently have the price points such that 1 HP = 3.9 Iso. The rate of distribution in game of the two currencies is not 3.9:1

For instance, the progression alone in a PvP is a 33.5:1 ratio. So if you use that, $100 should buy 670k, so 100k should be around $15. That seems like a more fair price, but I still voted lower, because I still wouldn't buy it at $15.
  • Except for the duplicates, my roster is quite comparable to many other players.

I'm not sure if anyone would acknowledge to have bought Iso. It's so taboo in a F2P.

I'm not a model to be followed for sure, but I'm sure cheap Iso would help the 2*-->3* players who seem to have such a hard time lately.

It's hard for us veterans to realize what their current situation is. And I'm more concerned about them really.

I need to go back to the thread about "how much does it take to have a complete roster ?", I've been busy this week.
  • Just looking at it semi-rationally, they currently have the price points such that 1 HP = 3.9 Iso. The rate of distribution in game of the two currencies is not 3.9:1

For instance, the progression alone in a PvP is a 33.5:1 ratio. So if you use that, $100 should buy 670k, so 100k should be around $15. That seems like a more fair price, but I still voted lower, because I still wouldn't buy it at $15.

What do you call : "The progression alone". I do not understand your explanation. Please explain again.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Except for the duplicates, my roster is quite comparable to many other players.

I'm not sure if anyone would acknowledge to have bought Iso. It's so taboo in a F2P.

I'm not a model to be followed for sure, but I'm sure cheap Iso would help the 2*-->3* players who seem to have such a hard time lately.

It's hard for us veterans to realize what their current situation is. And I'm more concerned about them really.

I need to go back to the thread about "how much does it take to have a complete roster ?", I've been busy this week.
    Iso is not the bottle neck in star.pngstar.png - star.pngstar.pngstar.png transitioning. its the acquisition rate of star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Just looking at it semi-rationally, they currently have the price points such that 1 HP = 3.9 Iso. The rate of distribution in game of the two currencies is not 3.9:1

What do you call : "The progression alone". I do not understand your explanation. Please explain again.

The progression rewards in a PvP. They award 3350 ISO and 100 HP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Iso is not the bottle neck in star.pngstar.png - star.pngstar.pngstar.png transitioning. its the acquisition rate of star.pngstar.pngstar.png covers.

If you're just doing Sentry-Hood, maybe. If you want a breadth of characters in 3* land, Iso is the bottleneck. You need ~million just for 6 max characters.
  • fmftint wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Agreed, but this aspect is additional to the problem of Iso needs.

They should soon stop to include **** 1* and 2* as progression rewards in things like Shield SIM, PvEs and so on. And include 3* covers, even if they are characters veterans already have. That would help the transitioners.

We can't go on like this getting hundreds of covers we don't need. What's the point ? Hitting the "sell all" button on a regular basis ?

As Clintman and I mentioned already, they are too stingy.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I voted never buy but that's not necessarily true.
    If the prices were absurdly low I would no doubt give in at some point.

$2.50 for 100,000 ISO would be the point where I'd probably buy.

$2.50 would almost level a **
    $5.00 would fully level a ***
    $10.00 would almost level a ****

These are nice round numbers that feel more like micro-transactions than price gouging to me. One of the reasons I feel like this could work is the sheer number of characters we have to level these days and the slow rate of ISO per character released. There are approximately 30 x *** characters in the game right now. The potential for revenue is still quite high with ultra aggressive ISO pricing.
  • babinro wrote:
    I voted never buy but that's not necessarily true.
    If the prices were absurdly low I would no doubt give in at some point.

$2.50 for 100,000 ISO would be the point where I'd probably buy.

$2.50 would almost level a **
    $5.00 would fully level a ***
    $10.00 would almost level a ****

These are nice round numbers that feel more like micro-transactions than price gouging to me. One of the reasons I feel like this could work is the sheer number of characters we have to level these days and the slow rate of ISO per character released. There are approximately 30 x *** characters in the game right now. The potential for revenue is still quite high with ultra aggressive ISO pricing.

Some calculation based on the price you mentioned :

As of today : 7 Million Iso needed (player starting from scratch)

70 x $2.5 : $175, that's 175 days of $1/day they wish to get nearly a half year.

There would still be tons of covers to win/purchase. So the price of HP will be analysed in another thread.

A half year is 26 new characters. The newcomer could gather enough Iso to cover these, but would have to win the covers, spending HP to shield/shield hop, and buy the additional covers he would need.

I understand that F2P is a business model, but I make a large difference between Candy Crush where there is nothing to be collected/gathered/re-used.

So, a roster in MPQ could have a value the same way as in CCG games.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Agreed, but this aspect is additional to the problem of Iso needs.

They should soon stop to include **** 1* and 2* as progression rewards in things like Shield SIM, PvEs and so on. And include 3* covers, even if they are characters veterans already have. That would help the transitioners.

We can't go on like this getting hundreds of covers we don't need. What's the point ? Hitting the "sell all" button on a regular basis ?

As Clintman and I mentioned already, they are too stingy.

So I've been trying to think about where on earth your logic could possibly come from, and I think I finally understand now. First of all, lack of covers is THE reason why 2->3* players are struggling, not iso. How many people do you see here complaining "omg, I have all of these maxed covered characters but no iso to put into them?". Probably not a lot, because the goal of of the 2->3* transition is roster depth (2 166s) as opposed to roster breadth (20 level 130s?) AND because even if they had a ton of iso, they're severely lacking on high amounts of covered characters to put the iso into. If you're truly a f2p player, then you will have saved more than enough iso to level the 3* guys that you need to level to complete the transition, meaning that any reduction on iso hardly helps the f2p player at all since covers are the bottleneck.

What kind of transitioning player does an iso discount help though? Well, that would be the guy who has a ridiculous amount of maxed 3* covers but not enough iso to max them all. What sort of player would even be in a situation like that? Well, the guy who wins 1 of each cover, and then proceeds to buy the rest of the covers with HP. Aka, the antithesis of the f2p player: the p2w player. It's fine to complain about the price of iso being too high, but don't act as if it will help a majority of the 2->3* transition players: the only players it would help are people like you who've spent a ton of HP on covers and are bottlenecked on iso to max all of them, which are a far cry from the actual people who are stuck in the 2->3* transition (aka the f2p or relatively f2p players who are bottlenecked on covers).
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    The devs have explicitly stated that it is not meant to buy ISO to reasonably level up your characters and I agree with this. They have priced ISO to allow those players who want to give their characters a little "bump" when needed, but not outright power level from 40-166. If ISO were purchasable to the point that it would allow for people to easily level their characters to max, it would ruin the game in my opinion.
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    I think that you should be able to buy iso with hp.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've always felt $100 should level 2 3* characters, 2.5 - 3 when it goes on sale. That's about current values x4, so $20 would get you 50,000 and $50 would get you 150,000 or so. $100 like 325,000.

I stated this a long time ago but it really feels like there's isn't much to spend $$$'s on in this game unless you are shield hopping like crazy. The bang for the buck of ISO is terrible, token packs suck, and there are only so many covers worth 1250. The first time I supported D3 I don't think it was anywhere near enough ISO to level my 2* Thor, the second time I fully upgraded my alliance slots (which I'm getting back apparently). If $100 leveled 3 of my 3* I'd probably send them some money every time it went on sale to say thank you for the service you provide.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Options
    How many people do you see here complaining "omg, I have all of these maxed covered characters but no iso to put into them?". Probably not a lot, because the goal of of the 2->3* transition is roster depth (2 166s) as opposed to roster breadth (20 level 130s?) AND because even if they had a ton of iso, they're severely lacking on high amounts of covered characters to put the iso into. If you're truly a f2p player, then you will have saved more than enough iso to level the 3* guys that you need to level to complete the transition, meaning that any reduction on iso hardly helps the f2p player at all since covers are the bottleneck.

I won't admit to having spent my ISO wisely as I've developed, but at this point I have ~17 characters with at least 10+ covers, but no ISO to bring them any further than I have. I didn't think I'd be in the minority on that point, but I suppose its possible. I don't complain about it because what's the point really, I know I just need to grind and get there. I'd be curious, however, if the players complaining about cover shortages have the ISO to do anything about it.

As far as the goal of the transition, I think that depends. High level PvP only requires two characters, but I think you need a decent array to play PvE. It's not 20, but somewhere in the 8-10 range seems right, and that's a lot of ISO even if you spend optimally all the way there, and especially if that 8-10 includes XForce.