Poor artwork choices!

Unknown
edited November 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I really like deadpool and was disappointed with the cover you guys choose, seriously there are so many better ones. But I think Mystiques could be the worst of all. I know some of you may disagree but if you've seen the other sweet covers, which would have looked so much better you'd be disappointed too!

I'm assuming it's too late to change it, but if not, please do!!

Comments

• I don't find it to be that big of a deal but I did like the yellow one they had in the preview article more than the one they ended up using.
    vkQkEOil.jpg
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the Mystique reveal interview, the screenshots featured two different covers.

I guess Mystique #22 conveys the shapeshifter aspect that she is known for. #12 just looks like a generic hero action pose while running away from an explosion.

Textless covers below:
    313px-Mystique_Vol_1_12_Textless.jpg320px-Mystique_Vol_1_22_Textless.jpg

Anyone have one they would prefer to be in-game?
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    The one they ended up going with is... strange, but the alternate cover in the interview screenshot looks like the cover for a tween serial novel about a girl who leads an exciting double life as a globetrotting mystical commando but primarily explores how she deals with "friends" and "boys" as part of her civilian cover.

There must be far cooler covers out there, but of the two, I much prefer the creepy faces-in-melting-face one.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Of the two, I prefer the blue one as it kinda looks like Walter White is one of the faces.
  • I really like the Mystique cover myself.

The ones I don't like are the old covers like Baby Torch, Beast, and Mags. They may have been good in their time, but when they are lined up with some of the awesome covers we have in game they look really lacklustre.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Screw that, X-Men #1 is still a great cover. Great issue, maybe not so much, but great cover.

I think the ones I'd most like to change are Doc Ock, 3* Torch, Doom, Mohawk Storm (Doomwar didn't have very good covers), and Ms. Marvel.
  • ComradeVS wrote:
    I really like the Mystique cover myself.

The ones I don't like are the old covers like Baby Torch, Beast, and Mags. They may have been good in their time, but when they are lined up with some of the awesome covers we have in game they look really lacklustre.

I actually really like cmags and beast covers, they form 2 parts of a 4 part picture, colossus could of one of those too.
  • Jimilinho wrote:
    I actually really like cmags and beast covers, they form 2 parts of a 4 part picture, colossus could of one of those too.

I agree here. I hope they complete the set with Gambit and Cyclops covers.
  • If they release Cyclops and Gambit/Rogue with those covers, that would be cool.

I didn't actually see the full cover together, and now the Magneto cover makes a lot more sense.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jimilinho wrote:
    I really like deadpool and was disappointed with the cover you guys choose, seriously there are so many better ones. But I think Mystiques could be the worst of all. I know some of you may disagree but if you've seen the other sweet covers, which would have looked so much better you'd be disappointed too!

I'm assuming it's too late to change it, but if not, please do!!
    I assumed Deadpool's was in reference to the fact that this is a videogame. So it'd be somewhat apropos.

I think both Mystique covers are a bit odd but while I sort of like the "plain" blue one better, it does NOT translate well onto a mobile device. It just looks like a blue blob. I was glad to see someone dig up the real cover, because otherwise I thought it was pretty worthless, too.

My problem, personally, is more with the stupid spine-breaking T&A pose they put her in. Really, really sad. Hopefully that image (from this preview below) also isn't actually in the game.
    vkQkEOil.jpg
  • Seeing the cover, now I understand the "lips" icon.

Not that it makes sense, or care for it, but I understand where it came from.

Edit: even the blue cover has a skull in it.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    loroku wrote:
    My problem, personally, is more with the stupid spine-breaking T&A pose they put her in. Really, really sad. Hopefully that image (from this preview below) also isn't actually in the game.
    It's there. You can see it by clicking on/scrolling through the reward covers showing in the Heroic right now.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Its not complicated. They most likely didn't go with the gunsplosion one because that's not how she looks in the game (at all).
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Did they really have to pick the cover that makes her look like Cassandra from Dr. Who?

Lady_Cassandra.jpg
  • Is that really a T&A pose? It looks really tame to me. She has one of the smaller sets of **** I've seen in the game/Marvel Universe.

We could have her sitting at a desk, typing up her memoirs. Would that be better?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is literally a T&A pose, because it has her **** in profile with her butt to the camera, showing off both, er, "assets."
  • I define T&A poses as being GRATUITOUS and designed, specifically, to show off **** and ****.

I just don't think that pose does either. I dunno. I'm probably in the minority.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    edited November 2014
    I get that they are trying to push and market the new series', but c'mon.

I agree, there are several terrible covers, and some that could be better. There are plenty of amazing covers for Doom for example.

Black Panther, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Falcon, all pretty weak. No disrespect to Copial but there were a million better choices and more significant artists for Spiderman. And does everyone associated with the x-men have a 85% chance of it being a Jim Lee cover?

Where's Romata (either of them ), or Miller, or McFarlane, Steranko, Ditko, or gee, I don't know Jack Kirby? Those cats all put out some of the best artwork in comics.

There's some really great covers, but it would have been nice to see the odd honest classic issue. Even if you are going to go modern, the choices for the ones noted above including Mystique are terrible.
  • If Dr. Strange is ever released, his cover better be Ditko.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    If Dr. Strange is ever released, his cover better be Ditko.

As a HUGE Dr. Strange fan and collector I agree with all my heart. Although there was some impressive work done on the orignal series after Ditko left.