*** Mystique (Raven Darkholme) ***

Comments

• Eh.. it's more like 80 iso, the cost of 2 AP boosts. Not that gigantic.

Another nice thing about Mystique, a use for all those +1 Blue/Purple boosts.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like Mystique may hide well behind Black Panther. That may help her poor health in PvE, though not much can help protect her in PvP.
    ErikPeter wrote:
    Cool. Skull Belt?

You guys read the end of the article there?
    Mystique’s not the last you've seen of the Marvel Universe ladies this year either, especially if you’re into the more rough and tumble types as opposed to Raven and Natasha’s black ops style combat.
    If that's not Rogue I'm going to be disappointed. Unless it's just another Spider-Woman hint.

i'm hoping it's the dazzler!

It's gotta be Dazzler!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Eh.. it's more like 80 iso, the cost of 2 AP boosts. Not that gigantic.

You can't compare an 11 AP ability WITH 2 iso boosts to a 9 AP ability without 2 iso boosts, how does that make any sense? That's like saying "oh, 8 AP isn't that much more than 6AP, whatever", when the difference between 8AP and 6 AP is the difference between like casting WR + sacrifice immediately as opposed to waiting 2+ turns to do so.
  • Lerysh wrote:

You can't compare an 11 AP ability WITH 2 iso boosts to a 9 AP ability without 2 iso boosts, how does that make any sense? That's like saying "oh, 8 AP isn't that much more than 6AP, whatever", when the difference between 8AP and 6 AP is the difference between like casting WR + sacrifice immediately as opposed to waiting 2+ turns to do so.

No.. The difference between 8 AP and 6 AP is "if I bring 3 boosts I can cast the first power in 2 round and the second power in 1 round". Technically the difference is 1 round. 1 round is not a "gigantic difference" to me. You can make GSBW's Purple cost 9 by bringing 2 boosts. She's still not used that much.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    No.. The difference between 8 AP and 6 AP is "if I bring 3 boosts I can cast the first power in 2 round and the second power in 1 round". Technically the difference is 1 round. 1 round is not a "gigantic difference" to me. You can make GSBW's Purple cost 9 by bringing 2 boosts. She's still not used that much.
    Of course she is still not used that much. If you're going to use all AP boosts, just bring Sentry instead, problem solved icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Except it's 9 blue AP? If you are talking about master stroke, there is the damage to show for it. What should be about 3k without purpleflag.png and about 7k with purpleflag.png

Converting 10 tiles as opposed to 8 in a random distribution of 2 colors is not great. Of the 27 or so R/Y/G tiles converting even a small number is likely to make the rest unmatchable ayway. Information provided leans me towards 5/3/5 as build preference so far. Reserve judgement until the playtest of her next PvE tho.

Agreed, I think her black will determine build. Shapeshift is all but a given to put 5 into. There are 2 knocks on Infiltration. 1) because it spreads it's conversion over 3 colors instead of one will reduce the chance of a cascade, and because it converts it to 2 colors instead of 1 also reduces this. 2.) If the goal is to speed up black and purple, which are generally 2 of the most uncontested colors anwyay, although black is pretty much now a go to, but purple is not, so why am I going to spend blue to randomly get purple, when there will generally be enough purple on the board anyway. Blue to me is more about denying a color then really get purple and black for yourself. If level 3 prevents losing the yellow, green, and red I wouldn't care about the damage and if you run her with X-Force you aren't going to ever use her black anyway, thus promoting a 5/5/3, but as I said, if your goal of Shapeshift is to steal their colors when they make matches, and you want green, yellow and red from them, using her blue to further remvoe those colors hurts you in that regard, given you will probably steal more purple, blue, and black. I think she will be a decent support character, she won't replace the Hood, but she might not be a bad replacement to save on Health Packs before you need to go to your A team.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    I find it interesting that her Intimidation blueflag.png is counterproductive with Shapeshifter purpleflag.png in terms of stealing red,yellow, green
    But it's amazing if you're working on AP Denial! Further, if you can get a 2nd or 3rd purple countdown.png out, does that mean you can deny your opponent AP altogether?

I think there's 2 builds of Mystique here:
    1. If you want to deny RGY. 5/5/3
    2. If you want to steal RGY. 5/3/5 with perhaps a black dmg outlet.

GSBW's ability is coupled with the fact that her greenflag.png is ridiculously expensive.
    If we compare to MNMags Polarity Shift, it changes twice the tiles at the cost of not being able to specifically target them, but targeting only greentile.pngredtile.pngyellowtile.png and having transformed tiles be 2 colors. Seriously, does no one care about board polarity? I'd agree that a 1AP reduction in this ability would make sense on the face of it, but I'm reserving judgement until I see it in practice.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

Technically the difference is one round if you can match the color the next round. If you're expecting to fire off cStorm's blue every 4 rounds you'll be pretty disappointed.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I might've missed this cause only skimmed the thread, but the countdown tile mechanic of Shapeshift seems like it could be a red flag. Is it a countdown like Flame Jet/Molotov that regenerates, or will it expire like a typical one?
  • I might've missed this cause only skimmed the thread, but the countdown tile mechanic of Shapeshift seems like it could be a red flag. Is it a countdown like Flame Jet/Molotov that regenerates, or will it expire like a typical one?

It expires, but it's a long countdown.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    So Shapeshift appears to be useless in a goon match?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would only kick in when a goon power causes a cascade, yeah. You can still use it for the stun, but that's a pretty bad reason to bring Mystique to a goon match unless she's essential.
  • It also boosts Masterstroke. Never useless technically.
  • Pwuz_
    locked wrote:
      Infiltration - Blue 9 bluetile.png
      Blue brings us Infiltration, which works to power her other two abilities. This ability acts much like Doctor Doom’s Technopathic Strike in that it converts tiles from one color to another. In this case, Raven changes a certain number of basic Red, Green, and Yellow tiles to Purple and Black ones. Higher levels of the ability increase the number of tiles affected. With this, Mystique can better control the incoming damage the opponents are able to put out, since those colors she converts are the ones most often used in directly damaging abilities.
        Level 2: Level 3: Level 4: Transforms 8 tiles. Level 5: Transforms 10 tiles.
      Max Level:

Considering we don't know what changes at level 3, there is a chance that she chooses from Red, Green, or Yellow to transform into Black & Purple. I'm not holding my breath, but I certainly hope it's better than "Transforms 7 tiles," when we already know that Level 2 "Transforms 6", and this indicates Level 4 "Transforms 8."
    • I wouldn't go blue in the face (eh? eh? icon_e_wink.gif). All signs point to "Transform 7" as being level 3.
    • I'm really glad she's a 3*. There's not enough of those.
    • I'm really glad she's a 3*. There's not enough of those.

You forgot your icon_rolleyes.gif smiley. Otherwise D3 might read that and think they need more 3* characters.
    • Spoit
      Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
      ErikPeter wrote:
      Cool. Skull Belt?

You guys read the end of the article there?
      Mystique’s not the last you've seen of the Marvel Universe ladies this year either, especially if you’re into the more rough and tumble types as opposed to Raven and Natasha’s black ops style combat.
      If that's not Rogue I'm going to be disappointed. Unless it's just another Spider-Woman hint.

i'm hoping it's the dazzler!
      Judging by how confused their communication usually is, even odds that he actually meant 4* thor
    • simonsez
      simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
      Lerysh wrote:
      You forgot your icon_rolleyes.gif smiley. Otherwise D3 might read that and think they need more 3* characters.
      I'm more worried they DO get the sarcasm and think we want more 2's and 4's.
    • Pwuz_
      simonsez wrote:
      Lerysh wrote:
      I'm more worried they DO get the sarcasm and think we want more 2's and 4's.
      Yeah, it's pretty universally agreed upon by all people of history that MPQ NEEDS MORE star.png characters! Yelena and Venom just look so lonely down there...