How Should D3 Compensate Commanders?

Options

Comments

• Deathclaw
    Options
    If they tossed one of those 42 packs my way, i'd be happy. Obviously i'd rather have the 1 for 1 HP, but really just some sort of decent recognition for everyone that helped make the alliances prosper. A big chunk of covers would make me happy.
  • Moral wrote:
    You know that iPhone 5s you paid $150 for in July?

They're giving them out for free.

Early adopters pay. It's life. You're paying for a temporary advantage. You don't get to enjoy the rewards of the advantage then demand a refund when the playing field gets leveled down the road.

While I don't have a horse in this race, I will say that this argument is not valid. Phones are goods, while HP is technically currency. Goods depreciate in value over time due to obsolescence, whereas currency remains relatively steady. $5 is always going to be $5. It may not buy as much as it used to, but a $5 from 10 years ago still acts as a $5 bill today. The price of HP has not changed in the few months that I've been playing this game, so the value of the HP purchased remains constant.

Once again, I don't have much of an opinion on this matter either way: I've only recently joined a free public alliance and I've never had to pay for alliance slots or dealt with an alliance that did. I'm just weighing in on that one comment's inaccuracy.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fievel wrote:
    Moral wrote:
    You know that iPhone 5s you paid $150 for in July?

They're giving them out for free.

Early adopters pay. It's life. You're paying for a temporary advantage. You don't get to enjoy the rewards of the advantage then demand a refund when the playing field gets leveled down the road.

While I don't have a horse in this race, I will say that this argument is not valid. Phones are goods, while HP is technically currency. Goods depreciate in value over time due to obsolescence, whereas currency remains relatively steady. $5 is always going to be $5. It may not buy as much as it used to, but a $5 from 10 years ago still acts as a $5 bill today. The price of HP has not changed in the few months that I've been playing this game, so the value of the HP purchased remains constant.

Once again, I don't have much of an opinion on this matter either way: I've only recently joined a free public alliance and I've never had to pay for alliance slots or dealt with an alliance that did. I'm just weighing in on that one comment's inaccuracy.

The price of HP changes every time there is a sale offered. Banks do not offer sales on $5 bills. Thus, HP is not a currency, it is itself a digital good that can be traded for other goods.

However, even if you concede that HP is a currency...the object in question here is the alliance slots, which were purchased with HP, making the alliance slots themselves a good. D3 has effectively offered a permanent sale on that good where it is now 100% off the purchase price. Thus the analogy to the iPhone 5 holds.

I do think 1 week is a minimal amount of time to offer 'price match' compensation in the form of credits. Most store policies are 30 days. That's sufficient, IMO.
  • The issue I have is this change will make it even harder in the future to obtain rewards. The number of alliances is going to explode with everyone who disagrees going and opening their own with no real need to stay loyal to any given alliance.

I paid for my whole alliance and since I kept it pretty calm I haven't really made up the cost. I have probably received 50,000 ISO over the course of the four months I've had it active. I would've been better off keeping it at five and spending the 19,500 on Hero covers.
  • AgentGwapito
    AgentGwapito Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm not from the U.S. but maybe there could be a law on consumer rights or a consumer law for a justified compensation.. too lazy to look it up

Hope this helps though icon_e_smile.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Securities or not securities or whatever magic....
    They made my purchase void. The agreement between me and the buyer has been nullified and i am left with zilch value for my money spent.
    The fact that you paid a lot of money for something that's now free is unfortunate, but a real breach of contract is extremely unlikely. Let's say you bought a car (i.e. a barebones alliance) a few months ago, then shelled out a few thousand dollars to install a sweet navigation system (i.e. 10 extra Alliance slots) in it. Now, the new model suddenly comes standard with the fancy navigation system, and the manufacturer is handing out free nav-system-upgrade vouchers to all existing owners of that model. Yeah, it sucks that you paid extra money for the now-standard nav system, and it'd be very nice if the manufacturer compensated you for that, but there's no apparent breach of contract here.
    The guy used a metaphor to explain how we feel riped off. They bite the hand that feed them like a snake. Under contract laws, D3 has just voided our agreement by making my purchase worthless and this is not the first time they do this. It seems like this is their business model. Bait people to buy something then devalue it and create something else of value and make it worthless.
    Well, I guess "metaphorically", you might feel that some emotional contract was "broken." But, under actual contract laws and the actual Securities Act... nope.

Spinning fantastical legal claims out of thin air only undermines your main point about how you should be compensated because that's the "right" or non-poopy thing to do.
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    OrganisedConfusion1 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think a refund of Hero Points would be adequate but about 25-50% of HP paid as they have had some benefit to having the extra team members.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Im still on fence on whether I think compensation is due. I do think that the title of this thread "... Commanders" is not quite accurate. Some people are promoted to commander just to add on a slot and then demote themselves. Some people are promoted to commander due to really good leadership ability, but not necessarily because they spent HP. A lot of folks would probably be more upset if there was an instance where strictly commanders got some compensation but others did not.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    what about giving those who made alliances free roster spots for the new characters?? No more 700-800 HP for a new character.
  • http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18552

link for petition to maybe gain some ground with devs

Forget petitions, write to Marvel/Disney, they allow their name to be licensed on this product. I'm pretty sure they will not like negative feedback on something branding their name over it.
  • If u r from the US we will have to agree to disagree. The land of the free need lawyers for everything. Down under In Australia our gov has an army of representives who work for the customers and these kind of devalution dont fly around here. It only works in the land of the free.
    In regards to ur gps analogy, here in Australia i wld be able to return that gps and get my money back. This is 101 contract law we learn at Uni, core subject so we know our rights. I had an Alienware pay me the difference after they put the mx14 on sale a few weeks after i bought it.
    In the land of the free it seems you have to forgo a lot of rights and customer protection laws.
    Too bad D3 is located in the US icon_e_sad.gif here they would have taken a beating. USA - More power to corporations and crumbs for the people (gamers:)
  • To put it simply:

1. Buyer + Seller make x agreement
    2. Later agreement is not X anymore but Y
    3. Buyer agreed to X - Y voids agreement because X non existent.
    4. Agreement was for X and if X dont exist the contract is broken.

Thats what we learn here before they release us out in that world of corporation thieves and yes it dont even need to be on paper here it can be emotional and in our minds for as long as we can prove it.

As simple as that, stop playing with words.

I will email Marvel indeed like the user mentioned above. But i am well over this game now. Just gutted how i used my money and hp in alliance whe i cld have used it for shield hops instead. My members benefited heaps ... i lost most.
  • pmorcs
    pmorcs Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This poll is ****. Refer to the more accurate poll thread including the option "mpq players are all whiners".

Jesus. Nobody owes you anything. Grow up. Stop spending money on frivolous digital nonsense if you can't afford to "lose" it, which you actually haven't, incidentally.
  • pmorcs wrote:
    This poll is ****. Refer to the more accurate poll thread including the option "mpq players are all whiners".

Jesus. Nobody owes you anything. Grow up. Stop spending money on frivolous digital nonsense if you can't afford to "lose" it, which you actually haven't, incidentally.

Why ? Because when u spend ur money on something you accept the fact that it may be taken away from u one day ?. When u buy Ms Office online u have the expectation that one day someone might come and take it ? Microsoft can just take ur whole office suite ? Cause its digital.

Maybe D3 shld offer insurance with their in app purchases
  • pmorcs
    Options
    Nothing was taken away from you. Except maybe vowels.
  • pmorcs wrote:

Free rider ??
    All free riders seem to always have shallow one line responses.

No wonder D3 never refunds or treat their customer like. People whine but nobody every mobilises to take actions. Instead the army of free riders come out and demonise the ones trying to make a stand.

Pointless arguing!!! Everyone seems to have gotten over it, life goes on until the next rip off and whine cycle and D3 knows they wont make a stand.
  • pmorcs
    Options
    You make a lot of assumptions. Wrong ones.
    pmorcs wrote:

Free rider ??

No wonder D3 never refunds or treat their customer like. People whine but nobody every mobilises to take actions. Instead the army of free riders come out and demonise the ones trying to make a stand.

Pointless arguing!!! Everyone seems to have gotten over it, life goes on until the next rip off and whine cycle and D3 knows they wont make a stand.

pmorcs wrote:
    I bought the bulk of the slots in my alliance (with money) and I voted "whiners". Just for the record.

I have in no way reaped any of these supposed benefits as my alliance is almost all meatspace friends, who are by and large terrible at this game and uncommitted. Whatever, it's a game, it's about having fun. I chose to spend the money and that's on me. My entire alliance could have decided to quit this week and .. what? Am I robbed? No.
  • To put it simply:

1. Buyer + Seller make x agreement
    2. Later agreement is not X anymore but Y
    3. Buyer agreed to X - Y voids agreement because X non existent.
    4. Agreement was for X and if X dont exist the contract is broken.

Thats what we learn here before they release us out in that world of corporation thieves and yes it dont even need to be on paper here it can be emotional and in our minds for as long as we can prove it.

As simple as that, stop playing with words.

You saw a button that said "Pay x HP, get alliance slot." you paid x HP and got alliance slot. You still have alliance slot.

There has never been any point where d3p has ever said "from this day forth, you get this reward/benefit/penalty for being in an alliance"

Heck, some people paid for alliance slots before there were any kind of rewards associated with alliances at all... I guess d3p should have taken those extra slots away until the commanders paid even more, because they became "more valuable"
  • pmorcs wrote:
    You make a lot of assumptions. Wrong ones.
    pmorcs wrote:

Free rider ??

pmorcs wrote:
    I bought the bulk of the slots in my alliance (with money) and I voted "whiners". Just for the record.

I have in no way reaped any of these supposed benefits as my alliance is almost all meatspace friends, who are by and large terrible at this game and uncommitted. Whatever, it's a game, it's about having fun. I chose to spend the money and that's on me. My entire alliance could have decided to quit this week and .. what? Am I robbed? No.

Ahh just a yes man icon_e_smile.gif Good on you
  • pmorcs
    Options
    I take responsibility for my purchasing decisions. If something I bought later drops in value, I don't blame the vendor that originally sold it to me. I blame either myself (for making a bad decision) or shifting economic valuations (for doing exactly what they always do, since the beginning of time.)