So it turns out I've been overboosting

Options

Comments

• Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    I have a very embarrassing question: Where do you buy boosts? I play the PC version, by the way- maybe it hasn't yet been added?

On the screen where you select boosts, you can buy ones you're out of. (At least, that's how it works on the iOS version.)
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ronfar wrote:
    I have a very embarrassing question: Where do you buy boosts? I play the PC version, by the way- maybe it hasn't yet been added?

On the screen where you select boosts, you can buy ones you're out of. (At least, that's how it works on the iOS version.)

Ohhhhhhhhh ok, that would explain why I didn't know. I've never actually run out of boosts so far because I conserve them so much. icon_e_wink.gif
  • the moose wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    I still boost a bit. Last 15 minutes of PvP or if I'm going for a high progress reward. There's also a few missions in Hulk where boosting is practically mandatory for me.

I know I've spent tons of ISO on boosts, but I think a lot of it was well spent to get a bunch of 3* covers from tourneys.
    This. Last 15-30 min of PvP or 240 rag pve missions. Other than that I dont really boost

Same here.
  • Some good stuff here.

I still use them for some things, mostly involving high level rags or when my guys are low on health and I want to get a match done. But stopping using boosts as a default mode has made my game go much smoother.
  • Ronfar
    Ronfar Posts: 150
    Options
    My advice: don't hoard more than 7 of a single type of boost. You sometimes get boosts after winning independent of the listed reward, and if you would get more than 10 of a type of boost, the extras just disappear.
  • I boost to make sure I win, scoring a 500 ISO pack every so often makes up for my "losses".
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My name is Spoit, and I'm a chronic overbooster. I know, and I don't really care that I'm wasting thousands of ISO.
  • I look at boosting as an informal way to purchase character covers. I can spend tens of thousands of ISO trying to win three different Hulk covers from standard tokens (eventually) or a few thousand on boosts for three guaranteed Hulk covers.

And three MN Magneto covers tomorrow.
  • Why would people boost every single fight they play? Madness.
  • I boost at the end of a tourney but I got to #1 in NHB at 805 with 2nd at 511 with no boosts and no health packs using Thor/Wolv/OBW before putting in team Bag/Yelena/Hawkeye
  • I've boosted the heck out of the Hulk event, but ISO has been flowing like a cheap wine lately so I haven't really noticed any "less" of it, and while using 400 ISO for buffs every 3 matches or so, I've still managed to get enough ISO to level my Hulk to 66. Maybe I'm just better at this whole dependency thing than you guys?
  • buckfanana wrote:
    I've boosted the heck out of the Hulk event, but ISO has been flowing like a cheap wine lately so I haven't really noticed any "less" of it, and while using 400 ISO for buffs every 3 matches or so, I've still managed to get enough ISO to level my Hulk to 66. Maybe I'm just better at this whole dependency thing than you guys?

2 rounds of Hulk, 1 Lightning round, other tournaments...

Spidey from 65 to 141
    Classic Mags from 85 to 113
    BWGS from 65 to 112
    IM40 from 120 to 122
    Punisher from 15 to 50
    Hulk from 15 to 42
    OBW from 30 to 45
    Hood from 20 to 30
    Probably some others I've forgotten.

I used to keep 10k in reserve for quick leveling... I'm now keeping at least 30k.

And I still have 40k ISO, over 220 Standard tokens (so another 22k), and 11 Heroic tokens (another 1500 or so).
  • I expected more chemical addiction metaphors in this thread.

I think it's more along the lines of steroid use at this point.
  • I didn't say Hulk was *all* I levelled in that time, but I'm not gonna whip it out to compare measurements with you here, bud.
  • I think the point is that 15-66 is pretty cheap ISO-wise and you indeed could have had a lot more by not constantly boosting.
  • I think the point is that 15-66 is pretty cheap ISO-wise and you indeed could have had a lot more by not constantly boosting.

Exactly. According to Shikao's calculator it's about 32k ISO to go from 15-66 for a 3*, but 142k to go from 65 to 141.

If you need to use boosts to win missions in Hulk, then use them. It's a lot better than getting wiped. But if you don't need them then using them for "speed" is not productive -- particularly in PvE where time mostly doesn't matter (mostly), but also in PvP except in the final bit or if you're pushing for a difficult prize (and if you don't have a high level villain, then a Lightning Round qualifies IMO).
  • It's a matter of cost versus benefit for myself. I tend boost to ensure wins either near the end of a tourney when health packs are more valuable, or when I need points from a PvE event to get a prize I really want. This current Hulk event, I used about 1K ISO for boosts so I could close the deal on the red Punisher cover at 50K points. For me, that's a totally worthwhile trade-off.
  • I boost for hard opponents and to save time. I can beat pretty much any team if I start with 3 Spidey stuns and 3 rags red powers and with GSBW 2 pink matches from her green generating power it is easy to get her to 19green - sometimes twice. That said, I back off if it is an easy fight. Aldo, saving time and spending ISO is an ok trade off for me. Especially in Hulk which can be a grind.
  • abuelo wrote:
    I came to a realisation the other day that i was massively, massively overboosting for my fights and I figured I can't be the only one so i'd make a post about it.

Time was, I'd look at the level of my opponents and as a matter of course get my usual +3 AP to all, +3 AP red/yellow, +3 AP Green/black for my Thor/Wolvie (original I know)/Doom team. As you can imagine I was losing ISO most tournament and I had no idea how I was going to level my characters beyond the 50 range.

Anyone ever find themself in a similar situation?

I never used ISO for pvp, not even once from the start of this game. I only use it only in pve - where my opponents are fixed. For pvp I refresh my opponents like crazy to find someone I can beat without a sweat icon_e_wink.gif
  • Lucky girl wrote:
    abuelo wrote:
    I came to a realisation the other day that i was massively, massively overboosting for my fights and I figured I can't be the only one so i'd make a post about it.

Time was, I'd look at the level of my opponents and as a matter of course get my usual +3 AP to all, +3 AP red/yellow, +3 AP Green/black for my Thor/Wolvie (original I know)/Doom team. As you can imagine I was losing ISO most tournament and I had no idea how I was going to level my characters beyond the 50 range.

Anyone ever find themself in a similar situation?

I never used ISO for pvp, not even once from the start of this game. I only use it only in pve - where my opponents are fixed. For pvp I refresh my opponents like crazy to find someone I can beat without a sweat icon_e_wink.gif

One doesn't so much use boosts in PVP to beat opponents - one does it to win faster (and with less loss of health) during the frenetic final 30-60 minutes of a PVP tournament when the key thing is more how many opponents you can beat to stay ahead of the retaliations.

I definitely overboosted for a while- the key thing for me was actually on the last day of the first run of the Hulk event when I felt I had to go for everything to maybe crack 50,000 for that Punisher cover (no good, ended up 300 points short). I realised my boosted guys were powerful enough to beat these insanely levelled PVE enemies, so they would probably be completely fine unboosted against like level 100 guys (and it turned out they were!). I'm still happy to boost here and there where I have a ton of boosts- I'm sure I still have a lot of boosts go to waste by having 10 and then getting more, but meh. And of course I will still boost for things like The Final Showdown and in the aforementioned final stretch of a pvp tournament where I'm gunning for one of the top rewards.