*** Blade (Daywalker) ***

1246725

Comments

  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    essentially Blade's black is like Psylockes, It hits you for decent damage then leaves something on the board. In Psylocke's case it's an attack tile and Blades an AP drain.

    However, since this is the most spammable skill you'll probably want it maxed. I'm guessing Blade will end up being a 5/5/3 prefered buil, but could see 5/4/4 or 5/3/5 depending on how good the green passive is.

    Im 95% sure that an x/5/5 build is going to be optimal. Think about if this way. What if i said, that instead of hoods passive stealing 1 red ap; it instead gave you daken power level strike tiles. Youd tell me that that would be insane, and thats exactly what blades green looks like its going to do.

    While that's all fine and dandy, when am I going to want to leave enough red on the board to trigger it? Unless the threshold drops at higher levels I just don't see this triggering as much as you think or hope. To not match red is bad, very very bad, and that's what is going to happen in order for it to trigger, and again it's only going to be 1 strike tile.

    His purple obviously wants a lot of strike tiles, but to give up red in order to get strike tiles that will no way outstrip what I could do with that red just doesn't seem like a good idea. That's why I'm thinking 5/5/3
  • There's no way I'm not having black maxed. Stealing AP is the strongest mechanic in the game.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    There's no way I'm not having black maxed. Stealing AP is the strongest mechanic in the game.

    again, as we know right now it doesn't steal, it just drains, meaning you take their AP away but don't get it yourself.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    There's no way I'm not having black maxed. Stealing AP is the strongest mechanic in the game.

    again, as we know right now it doesn't steal, it just drains, meaning you take their AP away but don't get it yourself.

    That's true, but even draining can be a giant pain in the tinykitty, and for 8 ap it seems underpriced.

    But we do need to see how they scale. Maybe purple spits out multiple uber tiles at 5, who knows.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    he really looks like he has the potential to be a decent hood replacement, with Sentry/Daken he'd complete the rainbow with two good abilities plus the awesome passive.
  • I'll be lucky enough to get top ten to earn 1 of each color to start him off. Not getting an additional black because im not in an alliance (just got back in the game due to being gone for a few months) will kind of kill me, unless we do get future events to earn him.

    I really hope he does do well. I dont even have hood, not planning on getting hood
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Pamizard wrote:
    I really hope he does do well. I dont even have hood, not planning on getting hood

    Captain Marvel PVP for him as prizes starts Friday, with his PVP right after
  • I didn't even notice that it's a drain not a steal. I guess D3 is still recovering from AR and Dormammu's Aid. It seems too hard to speculate what the best build is at this point because it seems like some of his power ought to change in function for having high number of covers as opposed to just more numbers, but the purple seems the weakest so far because an attack tile that depends on strike tiles is backwards. Strike tiles are overwhelmingly powerful so there's no point to have a lesser ability that depends on it that's also costly, because if you have that kind of strike tile out you should already have the game under control.
  • CrookedKnightCrookedKnight Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm. The blog post on Marvel.com specifically calls it a steal, which is probably where I got confused. Hopefully that's a hint at the upgrade.
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Looking forward to people running Blade instead of Hood.
    My twin Hoods are looking forward to it. icon_twisted.gif
    But I do hope Blade steals and not just drains AP since otherwise he's She-Hulk (edit: okay okay probably better than Punisher or HT and definitely better than Psyduck) tier without even her health.
  • NorthernPolarityNorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    essentially Blade's black is like Psylockes, It hits you for decent damage then leaves something on the board. In Psylocke's case it's an attack tile and Blades an AP drain.

    However, since this is the most spammable skill you'll probably want it maxed. I'm guessing Blade will end up being a 5/5/3 prefered buil, but could see 5/4/4 or 5/3/5 depending on how good the green passive is.

    Im 95% sure that an x/5/5 build is going to be optimal. Think about if this way. What if i said, that instead of hoods passive stealing 1 red ap; it instead gave you daken power level strike tiles. Youd tell me that that would be insane, and thats exactly what blades green looks like its going to do.

    While that's all fine and dandy, when am I going to want to leave enough red on the board to trigger it? Unless the threshold drops at higher levels I just don't see this triggering as much as you think or hope. To not match red is bad, very very bad, and that's what is going to happen in order for it to trigger, and again it's only going to be 1 strike tile.

    His purple obviously wants a lot of strike tiles, but to give up red in order to get strike tiles that will no way outstrip what I could do with that red just doesn't seem like a good idea. That's why I'm thinking 5/5/3

    I never really understood why people think that not matching red is "very bad". What characters in the game actually have GOOD reds? C. Mags, DP, Torch, Colossus, of which only C. Mags sees some play in high end PvP. Look at like every single top tier PvP character: LazyThor, Sentry, X Force, Hood, BP: NONE of them have a red that you actively want to match: why is not prioritizing red bad again?
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    There's no way I'm not having black maxed. Stealing AP is the strongest mechanic in the game.

    again, as we know right now it doesn't steal, it just drains, meaning you take their AP away but don't get it yourself.
    When I'm facing a team with The Hood, I'm not really annoyed that he gets an extra AP. I'm annoyed that he takes that AP from me.

    Imagine if The Hood's passive read "If there's 10 of X color on the board, you get 1 of that color."

    Would it even be half as good? The best part of that ability is stopping the enemy from using that AP, not getting it yourself.

    Don't get me wrong, free AP is always welcome, but if I had a nickel for every time The Hood short circuited a combo because I just made a match to give me enough AP for a move, then my next turn I need 1 more AP....I could outright buy a 4 star and max level him.
  • First of all you can't compare steal X versus an ability that creates an extra AP if the same criteria is met because sometimes there is nothing to steal so of course it'd be better to be able to gain an extra AP for the same criteria.

    For every AP you lost to Dormammu's Aid that prevented you from using a move there are just as many situations where the extra AP allowed the other team to use a move. The two components of AP steal is equally good in the long run. In any particular game their effectiveness can vary wildly, but it has to balance out in the long run.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    essentially Blade's black is like Psylockes, It hits you for decent damage then leaves something on the board. In Psylocke's case it's an attack tile and Blades an AP drain.

    However, since this is the most spammable skill you'll probably want it maxed. I'm guessing Blade will end up being a 5/5/3 prefered buil, but could see 5/4/4 or 5/3/5 depending on how good the green passive is.

    Im 95% sure that an x/5/5 build is going to be optimal. Think about if this way. What if i said, that instead of hoods passive stealing 1 red ap; it instead gave you daken power level strike tiles. Youd tell me that that would be insane, and thats exactly what blades green looks like its going to do.

    While that's all fine and dandy, when am I going to want to leave enough red on the board to trigger it? Unless the threshold drops at higher levels I just don't see this triggering as much as you think or hope. To not match red is bad, very very bad, and that's what is going to happen in order for it to trigger, and again it's only going to be 1 strike tile.

    His purple obviously wants a lot of strike tiles, but to give up red in order to get strike tiles that will no way outstrip what I could do with that red just doesn't seem like a good idea. That's why I'm thinking 5/5/3

    I never really understood why people think that not matching red is "very bad". What characters in the game actually have GOOD reds? C. Mags, DP, Torch, Colossus, of which only C. Mags sees some play in high end PvP. Look at like every single top tier PvP character: LazyThor, Sentry, X Force, Hood, BP: NONE of them have a red that you actively want to match: why is not prioritizing red bad again?

    PvP nothing matters as long as Hood/Sentry can destroy a team in 3-5 turns, however in PvE where you see buffed Rags, Sentry, Moonstone leaving that red is not smart, not to mention Simulator. I hear what you are saying, but I would be more apt to go 5/3/5 than 3/5/5 based on initial numbers.

    Now lets be clear, I am speaking only as if Blade was the only guy on your team. If you decide that you want to run him with say X-Force, well than yeah, you are going to want green maxed, and you are not going to want to cast Blades' black over X-Force's, so I do see your point there. If you run him with Sentry, you are probably going to want again to max green since most of the time you go for green/yellow/black matches anway.

    Predictions
    greenflag.png My gut feeling however is that his green will only increase the strike tile damage as you level him up with covers, not the threshold.

    blackflag.png I see black going 1 of 3 ways at max level. Either 1. You will steal it, similar to how X-Force gets you AP at lvl 5. 2. You will drain the top 2 strongest colors. or 3. It will create 2 tiles each draining the top color or it will create 1 tile draining 2 AP

    purpleflag.png I think this will be a straight up damage upgrade per level, with an outside chance it creates 2 tiles, which is still just a damage upgrade
  • Did anything happened recently to Blade comics that made him so appealing to appear? Hes being introduced on MPQ and MAA in very close dates (in MAA hes the SO hero of the next SO, which will drop anytime this week).

    I can see his Black turning to steal with more covers, and his purple might as well enhance your strike tile with more types of tiles (like protect, attack, etc). And of course his green will need less red tiles to trigger with more covers, and I bet it will be worth maxing it to have free tiles not to only combo with other people (like Sentry) but also to enchance his own purple.
  • CrookedKnightCrookedKnight Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I guess we don't get a full preview of his powers and upgrades this time?
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    So I guess we don't get a full preview of his powers and upgrades this time?

    this is what i was waiting for too, guess we'll have to check colog's roster to see what he looks like maxed out....:/
  • CrookedKnightCrookedKnight Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, well, well. Nightstalker is an AP steal. Just tested it with the alliance cover.
  • Got two blackflag.png covers, so the description to 3 covers is:

    "Drains 2 AP from the enemy's strongest color each turn."
    Well, well, well. Nightstalker is an AP steal. Just tested it with the alliance cover.
    Are you sure? It still says it drains, not steals.
  • CrookedKnightCrookedKnight Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I placed the tile, checked my AP, made a move, and checked it again. Every time I had one additional point that did not come from the match, and I made sure not to match four or get a chain.
Sign In or Register to comment.