Compilation of Suggested Sentry Fixes (Updated 10/23)
Since fixing Sentry is a big topic of discussion, and there was some rumor at NYCC that he's on the chopping block, I thought I would start scouring the posts to see what suggestions were out there. Feel free to add any that I may miss (this will be an ongoing editing as I find time to do this).
- Increase World Rupture cost by 3: Increasing costs in the most common suggestion to slow him down. Moving World Rupture from 7 to 10 means an extra match is required to fire this off, which would drastically slow him down, especially if you're not boosting.
- Add a Stun to sacrifice: There are several variants to this one.
- Stuns for a fixed number of turns at the same time that it drops the strike tile. The advantage is that the rest of the team immediately takes advantage of his sacrifice while still keeping World Rupture from counting down.
- Puts a countdown on a random tile at the same time it puts out the strike tile. Sentry is stunned for as long as that countdown is out (similar to Redwing). The advantage here is that you can negate the penalty by matching that tile away. Also benefits from Hood and is susceptible to OBW.
- Puts out only a countdown and then puts the strike tile out when it expires (similar to Fury). This means a longer time needed to protect the tile, as well as a 1 turn lag behind World Rupture. Also interacts with Hood and OBW.
- Decrease his overall health. A less popular option, but one that reflects his mental / emotional vulnerability. Possibly allows for him to be burned down or makes the use of his self-damaging abilities more of a tactical decision instead of an auto-use.
- Clarified!!!Only the first countdown on a turn benefits from Strike tiles. Having the strike tiles only affect the first World Rupture tile to go off would drastically nerf this ability. If strike tiles still affect tile matches, the likely cascades would still be devastating but the ability itself would do far less damage.
- Make the first World Rupture tile destroy every world rupture tile and do damage for each tile destroyed. This functions the same way as one of the goon mutant tiles (destroys all purple) or similar to Fury's Demolition where the first trap matched destroys all other traps matched.
- Make World Rupture a single target ability instead of AOE.. This would likely kill 1 opponent and start damaging a 2nd. Could also include reducing or removing the self-damage portion of the ability as well.
- Reduce the damage done by Sacrifice. Knock off a portion of the damage the strike tile does and a similar portion of the self damage it does.
- Replace Sacrifice with a different ability. World Rupture seems more fundamental to the character design than Sacrifice. Removing Sacrifice would make World Rupture less strong while also creating a dependency on another character to generate strike tiles.
- Reduce the number of World Rupture tiles, but increase their damage. Overall ability damage would remain the same, but would reduce the impact of strike tiles. It would also reduce the number of potential cascades which further reduces the impact of strike tiles on World Rupture.
- Staggered World Rupture countdowns. When World Rupture is cast, have a third of the countdowns be <x>, a third be <x+1>, and a third be <x+2>. This would mean more time to react to the ability as well as a longer time to protect and/or create strike tiles.
- Seriously slow down animation for World Rupture. Reminiscent of the old Daken passive, annoy players into submission. Make shield hopping less feasible by slowing down the match length while leaving the power's ability intact.
- New!!!Change World Rupture to Black. Changing World Rupture away from green reduces his synergy with Daken and Hood and seriously slows the combo down.
- New!!!Increase self-damage. Make it more costly to the player to use this ability. Would be hard to avoid further allegations of "pay 2 win" with this option.
- New!!!Turn the countdown tiles into visible traps. Each time one is matched, the effect for that trap goes off. Allow tile overwriting as it exists now. This kills the current shield-hopping strategies with this character while adding "flavor" to the board (the "visible traps" could be "ruptured tiles").