Heavy Metal Season VI Sept 24 - 26

Options

Comments

• vudu3 wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    I'm torn. As a casual 2* transitioning player, I've received only one blueflag.png TDaken, and tons of useless purpleflag.png covers. However, I use TDaken like crazy. Do I go for the 3* cover? Guess I'll just see how fierce competition is, and if it's worth it.
    Always go for the 3* rewards if you're capable of achieving them. I've personally received at least six 2* Daken blue covers--it's all luck of the draw. Just keep playing LRs and PVP and you'll get them from random drops.

I haven't received a single one yet.... I have LDaken blueflag.png and blackflag.png maxed out, but if I manage to stay in top 25, this will only be his second purpleflag.png
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    I should give lcap/obw combo a try. It irks me how often 100 patch and tinydaken die against normal 2* teams... a.wolvie srsly whooped his behind earlier in a match with AS as he had 12hp left. Next hit took out enemy wolvie, but with no patch, tinydaken and my 2 card IM40 didn't last long against Thor. I keep trying to use my 100ish ***'s more to try to get more matches out of my climb, but its frustrating.
  • Shielded at 808 for the duration. Feel free to attack, if that helps anyone.
  • This has just been going poorly for me.
    Planned ahead of time that I would try and go to 1300 for the XF icon_wolverine.pnggreenflag.png which would bring him to 4/5/4, season will give the last greenflag.png if I don't get it prior.

Hit the 166 wall prior to 600 (my MMR has me with much lower opponents elsewhere), ground up to 1100, thought "one more fight couldn't hurt". Wiped. Came out of that fight to 2 hits. Threw up my first shieldgrey.png

It was close to expiring, so I did 3 fights. They took a little longer than expected, but that's generally a safe enough bet. Though 2 is better. Picked up what would have been 140 points... except I got hit for -80 after the third.

5 hits about 5 minutes later, but fortunately shielded by then.

Slow progress.
    I'm thinking loaner icon_ironman.png may be better on defense than my own, since loaner will never fire recharge over Sacrifice.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MMR seems to have been adjusted. We were noticing in lightning rounds after the patch that we were suddenly seeing max teams at around 100-150, and seeing them lower in the PVP as well. It's really a pain in the **** to have to slog through max teams to climb and then, because of the new MMR, you're mainly getting sniped from below by max teams, decreasing defense wins as well.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I am having this event, but just because my im40 build is so bad... And he is overall too expensive. I only need black covers, so i guess I'll get my one and be happy
    Sorry for hitting you earlier but you were in a bubble I couldn't break out of and you were the only one worth even reasonable points icon_redface.gif

I've been getting crapped on by the cascades gods this event. I even had an enemy GSBW use Deceptive Tactics properly - for the the first time ever! - and get herself over 15 greentile.png in one turn. Sniper Rifles hurt icon_e_sad.gif
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I LOVE DEATH BRACKETS!
    HYGV4nC.jpg?1
  • MMR seems to have been adjusted. We were noticing in lightning rounds after the patch that we were suddenly seeing max teams at around 100-150, and seeing them lower in the PVP as well. It's really a pain in the **** to have to slog through max teams to climb and then, because of the new MMR, you're mainly getting sniped from below by max teams, decreasing defense wins as well.

Seems there has definitely been a change here and not for the better. I was finding maxed teams below 600 (haven't seen that since times when I've neglecting tanking) and pretty much nothing but them above 600. Generally that waits until closer to 800. I've also been hit like crazy in ways I've never seen. I was unshielded at 1070 or so for 3 fights...5 minutes maybe and in the last hour have been hit more than 15 times. Four of those (2 from the same player) were small defensive wins for a total of maybe 30 points.

Is the "solution" to death brackets making it so it's impossible to score 1300 or more? Because all it seems to be doing is encouraging even more shield hopping.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I LOVE DEATH BRACKETS!
    HYGV4nC.jpg?1

So... is there a reason why you're even going for top 5? Daken's black cover is for the top 100, I don't get it.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First place in my bracket is 1653. Second is 941 and I'm in third at 792. I played up to 1000 and then let myself drop back down. I almost feel bad about getting an easy bracket but on the other hand, I need the ISO so yeah, I'm going to try and keep top 5 at this point.
  • JamieMadrox
    Options
    So... is there a reason why you're even going for top 5? Daken's black cover is for the top 100, I don't get it.
    I have a really competitive season bracket so every point counts. Also still in that more covered characters than ISO to level them phase. Also insane,
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have a really competitive season bracket so every point counts. Also still in that more covered characters than ISO to level them phase. Also insane,

Isn't the iso you spend on boosts while hopping more than the iso you get from winning with a higher placement? Also, does placing high in seasons even really matter? I think I'd rather have the extra 300-500HP from not spending so much on shields * 10 tournaments / season = 3k-5k HP over the extra 1-2 heroic cover packs (which amounts to probably 2.5k-5k iso) that you get from higher season placements.

Edit: Case in point, pushed to 800 at the 4 hour mark. 70 points in defensive wins, proceed to push to 1100 in the last 30 minutes, all done without any shields. Net result: top 10, +300HP and time saved not shield hopping.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Lcap/ obw w im40 really does take the lazy out. Fun combo, wish he was covered better.

On the negative side, I broke 600 for the tiny hp reward. Started seeing 166 teams so stopped. Now knocked down to 523 and still only the 166's. #82 at the 2hr mark doesn't gimme the warm n fuzzies about getting a 3* reward with 0 available targets
  • So... is there a reason why you're even going for top 5? Daken's black cover is for the top 100, I don't get it.

But it's not like your placement in the individual events matters for the season results, so the death bracket isn't really an issue if you don't care about the individual event rewards. In fact, they're potentially helpful for your case since they could cause you to boost your season score since you're shooting for a higher placement.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Reached my highest score ever tonight, 1334! I think it ended up being five or six 3-hour shields, a number I have stubbornly tried not to use until now. I'm in the "Sold all my random X-Forces out of hatred" camp, there's much regret and making up to do.
  • HairyDave wrote:
    I am having this event, but just because my im40 build is so bad... And he is overall too expensive. I only need black covers, so i guess I'll get my one and be happy
    Sorry for hitting you earlier but you were in a bubble I couldn't break out of and you were the only one worth even reasonable points icon_redface.gif
    No worries it's a game. I just find im40 such a frustrating character to play with. Later when i switched to obw and cap and won faster but was hit ibfinitely faster too.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, MMR definitely was stealth-changed again.
    Cutoff for 166s has been lowered from 700 to at least 600, if not even lower.
    Not fun.
  • JamieMadrox
    Options

But it's not like your placement in the individual events matters for the season results, so the death bracket isn't really an issue if you don't care about the individual event rewards. In fact, they're potentially helpful for your case since they could cause you to boost your season score since you're shooting for a higher placement.
    Exactly. I love death brackets because I'm going for higher points anyways and like the challenge of having other high scoring players in my bracket.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Yeah, MMR definitely was stealth-changed again.
    Cutoff for 166s has been lowered from 700 to at least 600, if not even lower.
    Not fun.

This is complete tinykitty bull ****. Once I crossed over 600 last night, all teams in my nodes went to impossible 166 matches. Then when I was taken back down, it never changed. All I could do was watch my hard earned points get siphoned of by Max lvl teams. I gave up and went to bed instead of staying up to try to place decently as I'd hoped. Woke again to an abysmal 107th place finish. Insult to injury, I drew the last tinydaken blue I needed from pvp random drops.

**** d3? Instead of easing the ** -> *** transition, you are making it impossible.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,930 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    This has just been going poorly for me.
    Planned ahead of time that I would try and go to 1300 for the XF icon_wolverine.pnggreenflag.png which would bring him to 4/5/4, season will give the last greenflag.png if I don't get it prior.

Hit the 166 wall prior to 600 (my MMR has me with much lower opponents elsewhere), ground up to 1100, thought "one more fight couldn't hurt". Wiped. Came out of that fight to 2 hits. Threw up my first shieldgrey.png

It was close to expiring, so I did 3 fights. They took a little longer than expected, but that's generally a safe enough bet. Though 2 is better. Picked up what would have been 140 points... except I got hit for -80 after the third.

5 hits about 5 minutes later, but fortunately shielded by then.

Slow progress.
    I'm thinking loaner icon_ironman.png may be better on defense than my own, since loaner will never fire recharge over Sacrifice.

Yep, this event was probably the worst wipe out in my entire MPQ career. (*-*)

Originally wasn't going to shoot for the X-Force cover since i didn't need any of the other top rewards and figured i could do some HP saving but after seeing that Fatal Attractions wasn't offering anything enticing I decided "what the hay" and made the worst choice of my day. Bad boards, TU that were perfect counters against my teams, and poor decision making on my part lead to me losing around 300 points and almost all the HP I earned during the event. After I broke 900, shielded but got greedy and decided to unshield 5 minutes later (d'oh!) got hit by the same dude three times in like 10 minutes and ran out of health packs so I decided to just let it go but didn't think my Sentry team would get eaten for breakfast haha lost the 1st 130pts in like 30 minutes. Crazy!

Lesson learned, once again, the hard way. Wish I wasn't so forgetful lol