JUGGERNAUt HEROIC! Sep 12 - Sep 15

Options

Comments

• I think they need to ease up on the difficulty scaling and consider how powerful two star daken has now become. I don't really understand why my nodes are so strong that I have to boost.
    Does losing make them at all easier? Because I'm losing a lot. If the board doesn't start my way, I'm dead.

And maybe adjust that healing commander, two turns is very short.
  • Nah...

What's disgusting is sitting on now over 2.5 times the top progression prize in points (that's over 50k) and still looking at the very real possibility of walking away with only over cover from this event.

"Play harder", right? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I don't get why people are always talking about rubberband as if it's a problem when they don't understand the context. Even if you didn't happen to join a bracket that was almost filled, it'd still take a top 10 range performance to get into the top 25 range. Now if top 25 is all you need then maybe that's good enough but you're still getting less on your performance, and no it doesn't take much to keep pace for top 10 because you can just alternate between doing a minimal clear (like doing essentials) and doing the harder nodes. And of course you can always join a bracket that's already got the top being out of reach. You can also join a bracket and then get wiped out by the bottom right nodes immediately and now you won't even make top 100 unless you spend HP for health packs. If you're not planning to spend additional HP there's a very serious risk of losing on the wrong time when you started late and if you spend HP while others do not, of course you have an advantage for spending the HP.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Joining 1 day before the end is risky since if the bracket fills too slowly and you get put into a bracket where first has like 50k points already, you're pretty much screwed. Also, its a lot easier to optimally grind a single day as opposed to multiple days. I tend to join 2-3 days before the end (in this case 2): one extra day means that you get an extra day to rubber your way to the top if you get bad luck, and if you can grind optimally on the first day, you can easily get back your lead on the second day and grind like normal since joining early means you wont get stuck in a bracket full of grinders.
  • Note to anyone in my bracket (I know Phantron is): while I'm going to do whatever I need to to get top ten, I'm not particularly interested in top 2 - my X-Force already has five black. I won't necessarily avoid it unless I know someone else needs it, though, so let me know.
  • Unstoppable crash, unstoppable crash, critical tiles bluecrit.pnggreencrit.pngpurplecrit.pngredcrit.png , unstoppable crash, headbutt, headbutt

Hold on...how did a level 75 juggernaut just kill my level 200+ Lazy Thor?

1426105-juggernaut_****.jpg
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    At this point, you've left it to the last minute. Unless someone posts a "bracket filled" or "new bracket available" message, you're rolling the dice from here on out. It ends in 5.5 hours after all.
    I rolled the dice and they came up "winner" icon_lol.gif

27K on one run popped me into 7th in my bracket - tied with Twysta (and I saw Sauce on the way up).
  • @Developers

According to R60 patch notes, new Daken requires 7 black to avoid heat. However, all the Dakens in the PvE only require 6. So I guess the PvE Dakens have six black covers?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    At this point, you've left it to the last minute. Unless someone posts a "bracket filled" or "new bracket available" message, you're rolling the dice from here on out. It ends in 5.5 hours after all.
    I rolled the dice and they came up "winner" icon_lol.gif

27K on one run popped me into 7th in my bracket - tied with Twysta (and I saw Sauce on the way up).
    You lucky bastard. I popped in right before a bracket closed in the middle of the night last night. I guess I'm gonna have to go with my usual strategy of getting 1 cover + alliance and call it a day.
  • They should offer a service where you give them some HP and they'll tell you what is the current status of the open brackets.
  • john1620b
    Options
    Joining 1 day before the end is risky since if the bracket fills too slowly and you get put into a bracket where first has like 50k points already, you're pretty much screwed.
    Just to note, I ended up doing exactly that: I joined really early this morning, and was 800th-ish in my bracket, with a leader at 42,000. However, after three full clears I was 7th, and after one or two more partial clears I'm currently 1st, so it's certainly possible to do -- if you have a strong roster.

However, I will say that this is my absolute most-hated event. It consistently seems much harder than other Heroics....but maybe that's just me. It's so hellish that I'm even going to make sure I don't get top 2, since I don't need the black X-Force -- and I never do that. icon_e_smile.gif Anyone that has grinded this event to get top 2 deserves a cover.

Out of the top 6 in my bracket, three of us have X-Force fully covered in black, so I'm pushing for Porkchop8 and Quebbster. Go get it, guys! (Sorry Malcoran, TooBadUnknown, and AlexC, but I hope you miss it.) icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • john1620b wrote:
    Joining 1 day before the end is risky since if the bracket fills too slowly and you get put into a bracket where first has like 50k points already, you're pretty much screwed.
    Just to note, I ended up doing exactly that: I joined really early this morning, and was 800th-ish in my bracket, with a leader at 42,000. However, after three full clears I was 7th, and after one or two more partial clears I'm currently 1st, so it's certainly possible to do -- if you have a strong roster.

However, I will say that this is my absolute most-hated event. It consistently seems much harder than other Heroics....but maybe that's just me. It's so hellish that I'm even going to make sure I don't get top 2, since I don't need the black X-Force -- and I never do that. icon_e_smile.gif Anyone that has grinded this event to get top 2 deserves a cover.

Out of the top 6 in my bracket, three of us have X-Force fully covered in black, so I'm pushing for Porkchop8 and Quebbster. Go get it, guys! (Sorry Malcoran, TooBadUnknown, and AlexC, but I hope you miss it.) icon_e_biggrin.gif

3 full clears will probably get you to top 10 of any bracket because this event is just stupidly hard. It's certainly always fine to join late if your roster can simply overpower the enemy while others in your bracket cannot but then that's not exactly a useful strategy for anyone else who didn't have that kind of power. Note that this usually only works for heroic events because those are the only events where it is possible to have a separation in the ability to overpower stuff. In most PvE events, a very significant portion of the population can beat everything and you'll never get out of a hole against someone who can also beat everything. An event like Iso 8 Brotherhood where it is trivial (from a difficulty point of view) to do a full clear from starting to end will always be decided who had the head start.
  • gamar wrote:
    I am confused by people raging against the 2.5 hour system; how are you defining "competetive"? It is really, really not difficult to play as "lazy" as you want and make top 20 or even top 10 as long as you hit each node once in the last 1 or 2 refreshes. It's MUCH better than grinding a half dozen nodes to zero at t-9 hours and t-1 hours.

2.5 hour refreshes have made it a lot less effort to get top 20 and a lot more effort to get top 5, and I'm fine with that.

Someday I will learn to not post things I like about the game on these forums because that just means d3p will change it

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    MikeHock wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    I started playing this pve 1h ago.
    I earned 20,925 pts in one run... so yeah?
    [snip]

icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif

Start late and earn 20k in one run?

That's disgusting. No offense to you.
    No offense taken. You know I don't like this situation neither.
    Welcome in the world of rubberbanding / scaling / sharding / timing icon_twisted.gif
    With rubberbanding I was able to join top50 in one run, then top 25 in 2nd run 2.5h later then 3rd and 4th run... to stay in top 25!
    Soon I will be off to bed and tomorrow I will be out of top 150.

In summary, rubberbanding allows to fill the gap not to take the first place in one shot.
    without rubberbanding I should have played a lot more to gain these points but I would have lost less ranks during my sleep
    Anyway as I knew I will not play the last hours I chose to rubberband quietly today rather than gring for 2.5 days

I hear ya. I'm still hovering around 400 and have given up on this event. Why fight a 200 daken or a 110 level venom (which isn't bad, but 4 ap needed for symbionts snare?) for 20 ISO? Just like most PvEs, it's a horrid grind and a cr@pshoot.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    They should offer a service where you give them some HP and they'll tell you what is the current status of the open brackets.

The downside there is that you'll have to keep paying every hour / day / whatever until you find the circumstance you're looking for.

How about a service where you give them some HP and they put you in a smaller bracket, say 150 instead of 1000. At least then you're guaranteed a cover.
  • Moon Roach wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    They should offer a service where you give them some HP and they'll tell you what is the current status of the open brackets.

The downside there is that you'll have to keep paying every hour / day / whatever until you find the circumstance you're looking for.

How about a service where you give them some HP and they put you in a smaller bracket, say 150 instead of 1000. At least then you're guaranteed a cover.

A service like that would probably cost at least 1000 HP.

I imagine there could still be a market for it though. Certainly it seems like a lot of guys have plenty of HP that just want to make sure they don't get locked out of the next required character node.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

A service like that would probably cost at least 1000 HP.

I imagine there could still be a market for it though. Certainly it seems like a lot of guys have plenty of HP that just want to make sure they don't get locked out of the next required character node.

With a 3* cover going for 1250, 1000 might be considered a bargain. Even more so if it came with a free extra roster slot. I don't really see it happening.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PPPlaya wrote:
    With the really short events like this one, what's the best timing to join up?

With bigger events I normally wait 2 days, and one day for the smaller ones. Should I just wait two days regardless? Would I have had a better time just joining today and skip the previous days?
    It depends what kind of rubberband they are emplying. Generally Main Nodes have more rubberband than the subs. Events with only a main Node used to have very strong rubberbanding, see the Venom Event. But for this one they turned that down a notch. So if you land in a stale bracket, you might not be able to climb up again.

I started the bracket off very nicely. I got to 8th place with a single clear. But I've slipped slowly down the ranking until I think top 50 will be an achievement. Problem being the non-essential fights with Daken and Ares and such where the big points are are just impossible to beat, or if I do beat them I'm in such bad shape I can barely go on. When I gave up tonight, the fight was at level 223. Not a hope in hell. Not even vaguely fun either.
    Ben Grimm wrote:

I started on Saturday. Left it a day to improve my chances...or so I thought.

On the longer events where they create seperate sub-events, I can usually hit the top ten by waiting a couple of days before I enter. I always end up top 50 on these shorter events with no sub-events. I hate the "prologue, but harder" events so much...
  • gamar wrote:
    gamar wrote:
    I am confused by people raging against the 2.5 hour system; how are you defining "competetive"? It is really, really not difficult to play as "lazy" as you want and make top 20 or even top 10 as long as you hit each node once in the last 1 or 2 refreshes. It's MUCH better than grinding a half dozen nodes to zero at t-9 hours and t-1 hours.

2.5 hour refreshes have made it a lot less effort to get top 20 and a lot more effort to get top 5, and I'm fine with that.

Someday I will learn to not post things I like about the game on these forums because that just means d3p will change it

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

The system didn't change. It was just that once everyone figured out you're supposed to only do nodes when they're at 100% as often as possible then it turns into a worse grind because everyone else is doing the same thing.
  • Bacon Pants
    Options
    I started this event at around 11:20pm est, I got all of the progression rewards and finished in 7th.

Hope everyone is doing well.