*** Beast (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Deilinvega
    Deilinvega Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options
    But on the other hand, Beast and Spiderman without true heal, suck. It would be their only saving grace, since devs are to busy releasing new 4* every weak, to look back and rework characters that gather dust. If only certain characters got true heal back, they would at least gain some usability again. Maybe KK with true heal would be an overkill, but Spidey with reduced but true heal or Beast with true heal, woul allow them to actually be used.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Deilinvega wrote:
    But on the other hand, Beast and Spiderman without true heal, suck. It would be their only saving grace, since devs are to busy releasing new 4* every weak, to look back and rework characters that gather dust. If only certain characters got true heal back, they would at least gain some usability again. Maybe KK with true heal would be an overkill, but Spidey with reduced but true heal or Beast with true heal, woul allow them to actually be used.

Not sure if you've actually tried using Beast since his buff, but he is actually quite usable now in PVE. He will never be a PVP powerhouse, but most non-boosted 3* characters don't have a place in the current PVP environment. Blue is cheaper and actually gets special tiles on the board, and the damage/AP on green with a blue special out is comparable to Call the Storm.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Deilinvega wrote:
    But on the other hand, Beast and Spiderman without true heal, suck.

Well, my sincere hope is that Spider-man trades web bandages for Web Swing, so there's that. I wouldn't mind seeing Beast's yellow changed from a heal to a special tile increaser (a la Falcon and ProfX). We don't actually have an active that boosts friendly special tiles, just passives and She-Hulks blue that steals and then boosts. Spend Z yellow AP to boost X special tiles by Y (then heal a bit if there is a blue special on the board would be pretty good, actually.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just as a general response to a number of the last chunk of posts (regarding healing).

Healing (as a whole concept) is handled poorly across the game - true healing, burst of health, post-game healing and a variety of patchwork character healing abilities.

The game needs a singular approach to health and healing that is a lot more clear and consistent. I wrote this a year or so ago, which still largely holds true as the basis of a discussion forward.

And now, back to Beast...
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can I just give a shout out to his Blue power - I really enjoy using it and there aren't so many decent 3* blue powers.

It's really useful for PvE (when you time it correctly) and adds a nice boost of attack and defence to your game.

And then activate the green after you have some blue out - whole chunk of enemy team health gone.
  • Spencer75
    Options
    Bump for other respeccers
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    Can I just give a shout out to his Blue power - I really enjoy using it and there aren't so many decent 3* blue powers.

It's really useful for PvE (when you time it correctly) and adds a nice boost of attack and defence to your game.

And then activate the green after you have some blue out - whole chunk of enemy team health gone.

Beast is pretty fun in PvE events, Beast (6 blue) + Psylocke (8 red, 6 black) + Professor X (passives) = tons of special tiles
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My favorite 3* anti-minion team is Beast-Psylocke-Falcon. Complete coverage and synergy.

Once I get 11 blue AP banked, I can start dropping Beast's blue. The rest of them can start releasing the hounds with special tiles, and Falcon will gobble up AI's CD tiles. plus, Sam the Eagle will power up my tiles with his yellow.

Falcon's Bird Strike will usually create a blue shield, which activates Beast's green/yellow secondaries.

I'm running a 5/4/4 Beast, and I've got a green cover banked. My only reluctance to go 5/5/3 is that the secondary shields from his fifth yellow would keep this team competitive over multiple nodes, rather than the explosiveness of 5 green.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ending fights sooner prevents damage to your team, too.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ending fights sooner prevents damage to your team, too.
    Yup. Extra boardshake also means higher probability of more damage and more AP to use another power, too.
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Beast is part of one of my favorite PVP teams - 5/5/3 Kamala, 3/5/5 Gamora, and 5/5/3 Beast. The team gets underestimated a lot because Gamora and Beast aren't considered good, but this team has synergy out the wazoo.

Rainbow coverage, and two cheap powers mean that you have healing at will and decent damage and utility. Beast's green after he gets a special tile out is good and pretty underrated. This is also the one you want to use with this team, with KK accelerating him. The match might last long enough that you get the 12 black needed for Gamora's black, and in that case she tanks all her colors for max strike tiles. In all, these three have good offense, great sustain, and plenty of pestering power. I've champed all three of these chars, and don't regret it a bit.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think Beast is underrated. He has good & cheap special tiles + one of the cheapest AoE in the game.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've been using Beast a lot this week because he's powered up for Enemy of the State. I have him 5/3/5 at level 105 (don't ask), buffed to 199 by the event. He's been really good for me with all three colors.

The reason I came into this thread is that I have an extra greenflag.png cover and am deciding whether to sell it or make him 5/4/4. I'm not going to Champion him; that's just not a priority. Ideally, I'd like to have him at 5/5/3 but I'm not going to ruin his currently terrific yellowflag.png just to slightly improve greenflag.png . After Enemy of the State is over (and he goes back to being neglected in my roster), I'll take him to 5/4/4 and wait for another green for the eventual 5/5/3.

Now, I do like his yellowflag.png . A lot, even. I don't understand the complaints. At five covers, it's doing a decent team heal and those protect tiles are great. I'd rather being doing the extra damage of five greenflag.png covers, though, so I'll work towards that.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Healing is overrated. I have him champed at 3 yellow, and I've never changed his build.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Healing is overrated? I thought some of the fake heals (beast, 3* spidey, rags, gwen,) were widely considered some of the worst skills in the game. I couldn't believe they were still being stuck on characters when spider-gwen came out.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been using Beast a lot this week because he's powered up for Enemy of the State. I have him 5/3/5 at level 105 (don't ask), buffed to 199 by the event. He's been really good for me with all three colors.

The reason I came into this thread is that I have an extra greenflag.png cover and am deciding whether to sell it or make him 5/4/4. I'm not going to Champion him; that's just not a priority. Ideally, I'd like to have him at 5/5/3 but I'm not going to ruin his currently terrific yellowflag.png just to slightly improve greenflag.png . After Enemy of the State is over (and he goes back to being neglected in my roster), I'll take him to 5/4/4 and wait for another green for the eventual 5/5/3.

Now, I do like his yellowflag.png . A lot, even. I don't understand the complaints. At five covers, it's doing a decent team heal and those protect tiles are great. I'd rather being doing the extra damage of five greenflag.png covers, though, so I'll work towards that.

Make him 5/4/4 no question. Objectively, yellow is not a good power. You can get protect tiles with blue (6 AP) vs yellow (11 AP). Fake healing which rarely matters. Green is better by a mile, more damage and more tile destruction from 3 to 5.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Healing is overrated? I thought some of the fake heals (beast, 3* spidey, rags, gwen,) were widely considered some of the worst skills in the game.
    Clearly not to someone who says he loves 5 in yellow, and he's the one I was talking to.
  • JeffCascadian
    Options
    Turns out the next progression award in PVE is another greenflag.pngicon_beast.png so I'll be switching him to 5/5/3 much sooner than I'd anticipated.
  • JeffCascadian
    Options
    Yep. Beast is a beast at 5/5/3. Wow. I may actually Champion him someday.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Actually beast is way better than most of players gives him credits for. I fell in love with him few months back, brought him to 140 from 120lvl (my semi useful 3* cap) and he was my first champed 3* from that l140 category. In boosted events I prefer his green over jg's green - it's cheaper and makes good board shake. His blue gives you cheap special tiles and Im fine even if 2 protect tiles pop up. Beside his 4* reward from championing is jg - there's nothing not to love about him icon_e_wink.gif
    For anyone who's still in 3* land or in early transition to 4* - really give him chance and you won't regret it icon_e_wink.gif