Can you feel d3's financial desperation?

Options
13»

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Recent changes have been done with long term benefits in mind.
    The healing change most of all.

Of course the short term response to this will be us long time players quitting due to change.
    The question is...has the game as a whole improved with these changes?

In my opinion, this game has vastly improved with the class balance changes, the reward changes and the healing changes. It's legitimately easier to progress from one star to 3 star. The game also motivates players to use more of their roster than before. It's a better overall game even though I was personally more competitive in events before the changes.

Not to say the current game is perfect though...several heroes need attention and some need it desperately. Mags' blue is devastatingly game breaking and allows me to clear battles I should otherwise have little or no chance at. He alone allows me to play MUCH longer as a result of near endless crits.

The fact that Sentry's green triggers individually with strike tiles something like 14 times with just 7ap cost is also unbalanced to a lesser degree. This ability should be changed to only trigger strike tiles once. Especially since it has the potential to cascade on resolution. Alternatively the cost of the skill could be increased to something like 12 green to better reflect the potential power of the skill. Again, this is MUCH less severe than mags whose truly breaking the current game based solely on his blue skill.
  • Unknown
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    In my opinion, this game has vastly improved with the class balance changes, the reward changes and the healing changes. It's legitimately easier to progress from one star to 3 star.

"Vastly improved" seems like a bit of an overstatement. Jury's still out on the healing changes. They may have been done for this wonderful ideal of the betterment of the game. Somehow I doubt it. I still think it was more of a money making tactic, but I'm very cynical. Mostly I feel for the people who want to play more but can't now because they're shot after a few fights and a bad cascade.

Class balance changes? I assume you're talking about the level shift. Mostly smoke and mirrors. Poorly covered 3* characters are generally much worse than mostly covered 2*s even if their levels are now more comparable. And since everything shifted, almost nothing really changed in the long run. Loaner characters are the big winners, now they have a few more hit points. Yay? Not a big deal all around.

The reward changes are mostly a plus. Nice that they moved some of the HP down the line, too bad scores are down across the board due to the healing changes. Expanding the single 3* cover reward to the top 100 is probably the best thing they've done in a long time, but I'm still not buying the "legitimately easier to progress from 1* to 3*" bit. Easier than what? A month ago? Maybe. But it used to be WAY easier before they messed with LR and token rewards to the point of insanity. Now you're much more likely to get one cover for a whole bunch of 3* characters rather than one character with a bunch of covers. That's not an improvement. It's another money making scheme, because now you have to buy more roster spots for all your badly covered rare characters, who are not terribly useful.
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    It's legitimately easier to progress from one star to 3 star.

Umm... No. Just... No.

-3* character pool bloat. (and its only going to get worse)
    - Inability for most players to touch progression rewards. I could, pre true-healing, touch the 800 reward for 50 hp CONSISTENTLY. Now 600 is a struggle most events
    - Inability to place nearly as well. Casual 2* players claim better placements. More hardcore players place much lower. Personally went from top10 in events to struggling to keep top 25
    - Inability to use shields to help placement as they are needed to expand the roster for a LONG time.
    - Less iso also, since healthpacks now limit playtime to shorter periods.
    - Keeping up with multiple events is much harder, due to above health pack limits

I'm not sure where your information comes from, but I have yet to see any 2* player trying to make the transition claim it had become easier after TH. Except the casual laid back players, who aren't in any great hurry to get into 3* land anyhow.
  • wade66
    wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    It's legitimately easier to progress from one star to 3 star.

Umm... No. Just... No.

-3* character pool bloat. (and its only going to get worse)
    - Inability for most players to touch progression rewards. I could, pre true-healing, touch the 800 reward for 50 hp CONSISTENTLY. Now 600 is a struggle most events
    - Inability to place nearly as well. Casual 2* players claim better placements. More hardcore players place much lower. Personally went from top10 in events to struggling to keep top 25
    - Inability to use shields to help placement as they are needed to expand the roster for a LONG time.
    - Less iso also, since healthpacks now limit playtime to shorter periods.
    - Keeping up with multiple events is much harder, due to above health pack limits

I'm not sure where your information comes from, but I have yet to see any 2* player trying to make the transition claim it had become easier after TH. Except the casual laid back players, who aren't in any great hurry to get into 3* land anyhow.

I must be the minority. Before the changes, I scored in the 700 - 800 point range, usually ending up just in the top 50. Since the changes, I am scoring about the same and usually ending up in the top 5.

My worst performance came in the last Punisher tournament when the nodes emptied out and I got booted out of the event, ended up placing 12th. All this comes without a single cover maxxed 3 star.
  • Unknown
    Options
    MPQ is #114th grossing in Android atm.

Also, http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/u ... es-market/

GLU ROLLS OUT KARDASHIAN BOMBSHELL

As the mobile games market grows more crowded, the anticipated value of brands is starting to become evident as we observed the explosive success of Kim Kardashian: Hollywood (Glu Mobile). The game managed to become a top grossing mobile title in just a few weeks, due to a combination of the high visibility of Kim Kardashian, experienced game design from Glu Mobile and a clear targeting of female mobile gamers. Provided its success persists, the title is currently on track to generate $200 million this year.