Can you feel d3's financial desperation?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    It looks far more entertaining and I bet those Devs will never "NERF" Kim and lose my trust .

Of course they wouldn't. Would you want to explain to Kanye why Kim isn't the greatest thing ever?
  • Unknown
    Options
    You don't to explain to Kanye why Kim isn't the best thing ever.

Kanye already knows Kanye is the best thing ever.

Anyways this is classic extinction behaviour (oddly enough, the second time I've brought this up here, the first being the reduction of guaranteed covers in 10-packs).

What you're doing isn't working like it used to. What do you do? You do it MORE. Surely it will work eventually.

Self-destructive behaviour at its finest.
  • Unknown
    Options
    LOL The picture was just a joke guys. I have no idea how accurate that list is or even how they calculate it. It was from a couple weeks ago... Just thought it was funny that Kim was ahead of it. Had no idea that game was going to end up in the top 10 almost. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    LOL The picture was just a joke guys. I have no idea how accurate that list is or even how they calculate it. It was from a couple weeks ago... Just thought it was funny that Kim was ahead of it. Had no idea that game was going to end up in the top 10 almost. icon_mrgreen.gif

The power of the Kardashians.
  • Unknown
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:

The power of the Kardashians.

I almost installed it before taking the pic just to see if anyone would notice "Installed" written underneath icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    If D3 was really hurting for money, the last thing you would do is nerf the popular characters such as Spidey and the Dakens.

Ooopss....let me rephrase that...if you have any business acumen (aka give the customers what they want (and will spend money on)....
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nereb wrote:
    You don't to explain to Kanye why Kim isn't the best thing ever.

Kanye already knows Kanye is the best thing ever.

Anyways this is classic extinction behaviour (oddly enough, the second time I've brought this up here, the first being the reduction of guaranteed covers in 10-packs).

What you're doing isn't working like it used to. What do you do? You do it MORE. Surely it will work eventually.

Self-destructive behaviour at its finest.

AKA the definition of insanity...doing the same thing over and over..and over...and over...and still over...expecting a different result.

However, in their defense, their metrics are telling them that they are getting the right results. Thus, the benefit of measure once, cut twice icon_e_wink.gif #dilbert
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't think the targeted sales stuff is necessarily very smart. I remember one of those F2P game I always have the mega whale +200% bonus to everything to buy that even real mega whales don't have, and I also have the offer for some paltry amount of currency if I enter my payment information for the first time ever. I see the sales offer for MPQ a lot too even though I'd be the wrong guy to target based on history (never bought anything). I think most of them just figure if you got a great roster you must be rich without looking at your payment history.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't think the targeted sales stuff is necessarily very smart. I remember one of those F2P game I always have the mega whale +200% bonus to everything to buy that even real mega whales don't have, and I also have the offer for some paltry amount of currency if I enter my payment information for the first time ever. I see the sales offer for MPQ a lot too even though I'd be the wrong guy to target based on history (never bought anything). I think most of them just figure if you got a great roster you must be rich without looking at your payment history.
    You got that backwards - if you paid for your roster you'll continue to pay, so why give you a discount on stuff you would have bought anyway?
    You get the sales offers precisely because you never bought anything, to entice you to do.
    It's much easier to target sales on money spent on the account instead of looking at individual rosters and basing the offer on that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That's pretty much what they said in that April series of articles. People who bought at day 7 were spending just as much in day 30, and showing no signs of slowing down. If you offer whales sales, you'd just be eating into your own revenue.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phantron wrote:

I wouldn't cry that the sky is falling for Demiurge, by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, the true healing changes hurt significantly, but the devs acknowledged that this would happen.

-- In regard to the US Google Play Store rankings, the highest ranking that I saw was the global sale right before the true healing change, which moved MPQ briefly into the top 30, after consistently hovering in the mid 30s. Post change, MPQ is hovering consistently in the mid-high 40s, but as of yet has not fallen out of the top 50. I would argue that the playerbase has indeed shrunk, but has not or is not imminently collapsing.

-- In regard to the frequent new character release model, that is how Demiurge makes their money on the game. Don't expect that to change over the remaining life of the game, whether that is 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, or 6 years.

-- In regard to Phantron, I agree with his post. Demiurge has said that the frequent offer of sales to F2P is to covert them to playing customers at least once in their lifetime. This is a perfectly valid course of action. However, that said, more needs to be done to persuade them to actually part with money because people who are resisting will continue to resist until they perceive a "good value" in their eyes. A great example here, was back in the early days, when Steam users were offered a one time 67% discount on a first purchase of HP and ISO (separate transactions) during one of the Steam Sales. MPQ badly needs a "new customer discount/significant bonus", if it really wants to seriously covert F2P players to paying ones. The +20% bonus is simply not cutting the mustard.

-- San Diego Comic Con is next weekend, in which other threads have stated that MPQ will be there. This is a great opportunity for Demiurge to pick up new players for the game. The measuring stick will be to see if the game's revenues rise back to their previous levels after the convention.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    This is also the google store. I'm curious where mpq sits now on steam and iOS.
    I just checked iOS and MPQ is sitting pretty at #68 on the top grossing chart.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If D3 was really hurting for money, the last thing you would do is nerf the popular characters such as Spidey and the Dakens.

Ooopss....let me rephrase that...if you have any business acumen (aka give the customers what they want (and will spend money on)....

I actually think nerfing a character brings in more revenue for them. On short term, they can get extra money from respeccing the nerfed character. Long term, new characters seem more appealing for people, because they will stand out from the other covers. so basically this way they can put stronger characters in the game for a long time without actually having to worry about balancing issues. I don't think old characters bring in that much revenue for them anymore.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Price discrimination doesn't mean you can get away with offering a better deal to me (who has yet to spend any money) than Colognseiur. Sure you can figure the latter will pay for anything but even the mega whales will likely do some asking around and won't really like it if they found out they're not even getting the best deals after spending thousands of dollars in the game. It's not like MPQ somehow has a monopoly on F2P games so if you don't give the whales a great deal they'll just move to another game.

Now for converting newcomers I really don't see the point of trying to entice someone with an extra 25% for a guy who's never spent any money. That's just not enough to get someone to spend money, and it's not big enough of a sale for a whale to consider since he already spends a lot of money and he figure he'll just wait for a big sale and buy in bulk. You'd need something on the order of 66% off like the Steam sales for F2P to give a serious consideration for paying. Now the D3 guy mentioned before that you don't want to get people so that they're always waiting for the next 66% off sale and that's a very valid point, but I think if you do like Steam where you can only buy such deals once per account then you don't have to worry about it because you can only buy it once.

So let's say 5% of your F2P bought a 66% off steam bundle and then realize there was nothing to shoot for and quit the game shortly after. Does that really matter? Well, there's network externality to consider, as even nonpaying customers add some value for just being there, but if you're 99% sure those guys would otherwise never buy anything, getting money from 5% of the population and then have them quit doesn't sound like a bad financial proposition and given the state of the game servers it doesn't appear there's plan for immediate expansion (or they can take the money to upgrade the server). And if 50% of your F2P bought something and then immediately quit, that means your game is probably pretty bad so maybe you should take the money you got and flee the country, or invest the money back in the game.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will be quitting MPQ today and taking my time,energy and money to the Kim Kardashian game ASAP.

It looks far more entertaining and I bet those Devs will never "NERF" Kim and lose my trust .

Wait...... Does she have "True healing"?? icon_e_biggrin.gif

I was thinking Puzzle and Dragons myself, it looks like it might need the help.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Now the question is would they still be even top 100 without the xmen buying their way to the top every pvp? icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    @ phantron

I've purchased 'premium content' since 7/10/13. I never get targeted offers. The universal sales may entice me to purchase one more than before, but only for hero points. I am however spending less. I am working less overtime and I've been upgrading wifi in my home to 802.11ac.

Neighborhood is saturated on 2.4GHz so I'm taking advantage of the unused 5GHz. Had to use my MPQ budget to buy the access points (bought 2, one for each end of house) and wireless adapters for all the pc's and laptops.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    it' sad how much this game has changed even in the time i've played(player since Jan. 2014) i like that they're hiring an honest to god community manager and putting off the Daken rebalance. I have *some* hope for the future, the true healing changes weren't as horrible for me cause i'm fully into the 3 star phase, but i can see how badly they affected the two star players.

PS- They permanently buffed the ISO by 50% about a month ago, that's why it looks like a sale.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    This is also the google store. I'm curious where mpq sits now on steam and iOS.

http://steamcharts.com/app/234330#3m

Number of simultaneous players is about as good as you can (publicly) get for Steam.
  • Vohnkar
    Vohnkar Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    it' sad how much this game has changed even in the time i've played(player since Jan. 2014) i like that they're hiring an honest to god community manager and putting off the Daken rebalance. I have *some* hope for the future, the true healing changes weren't as horrible for me cause i'm fully into the 3 star phase, but i can see how badly they affected the two star players.

PS- They permanently buffed the ISO by 50% about a month ago, that's why it looks like a sale.

The true healing change was, in fact, good for me as a 2* player. I used to play Ares+OBW all the time, just because I could go forever in a PvP event. I didn't use prologue healing, it was boring, so as soon as I ran out of Hpacks, I stopped playing. Now I can place top 100 again playing less than before, I couldn't get to top 50-100 even with 700+ points, now with 400-500 you can get top 100 without being attacked too much. The only problem I see is that I only can play 2-4 matches and then have to stop playing until I regen back.

Thats becoming less of an issue, I've leveled a lot of characters, I have very few maxed chars, but I have 5-10 chars at lvl 90+ so I can play a litle bit with the roster to extend my playtime. And due to the change to true healing, Ares is even more dangerous than before on defense, he can destroy a 2* team with his kit alone.

I've been quite unactive during part of the s2 and almost all s3. The changes during S2, made my MMR go nuts and started to face lvl 100+ when I leveled my first 3* to lvl 102. I coudln't play vs 140s so I played just a couple of matches until a couple of weeks ago when I started to play again with the lvl changes to the rosters. With 1 140 and a some 90+ (2-3*) I can now play a litle and try to do some points.

I have faith in the next few patches, the last couple made the game playable for me again, I'm hoping they continue to listen and improve. The last balance of power event was FUN! I miss those kind of events, I hope they listened to us and start to make those kind of "strange" events again.