POLL: Overpriced powers

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Here are some of the overpriced powers in the game. If D3 would like to promote roster diversity, then lowering some of these costs would go a long way. I know there is a rework being done on Wolverine X. With the True Healing change, some powers that give temp healing are now overpriced.

20 AP -- Ballistic Salvo -- IM40 (also drains 10AP from other colors, or 30 AP total)
14 AP -- Smash -- Hulk (often damages teammates, drains up to 10 green, for total cost 24 AP)
13 AP -- Unibeam -- IM40 (also drains 10AP from other colors, or 23 AP total)
19 AP -- Ultra-Freon Beam -- IM35
19 AP -- Sentinel of Liberty -- Captain America
18 AP -- Grant Invisibility -- Invisible Woman
18 AP -- Murderous Aim -- Bullseye
17 AP -- Control Shift -- Moonstone
15 AP -- X-Force -- Wolverine X
15 AP -- Enraged Slash -- Wolverine X
15 AP -- Trickery -- Loki
14 AP -- Recharge -- IM40 (If the power worked at AP costs 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, at the different cover levels, then it would be fine)
14 AP -- Best There Is -- Patch (If levels become adjustable, the price is fine)
13 AP -- Switcheroo -- Bagman
12 AP -- Reprieve -- She Hulk
12 AP -- Web Bandages -- Spider Man
10 AP -- Recovery -- Wolverine X
_9 AP -- Battleplan -- Black Panther (If Storm Mohawk had cheap Env Tile Clearing, then this would be okay)
_9 AP -- Web-Slinger -- Bagman
_7 AP -- Snarky Remark -- Bagman

Due to the fragility and often poor placement of traps, all of Daredevil's powers are overpriced. However, if trap deactivation returned spent AP, then his costs are likely fine. He would gain usefulness as an AP battery against Hood, OBW, She-Hulk, Psylocke, Nick Fury, and evil Daredevil.

A few expensive powers are not overpriced.
Sniper Rifle - Green 19 AP -- At one time was the foremost nuke of the game. Lots of green generators.
Twin Pistols - Yellow 15 AP -- The Hood never seems to fail in getting this off, and it generates 18AP
Call The Storm - Green 14 AP -- An efficient nuke.

An additional note -- the 3&4 star characters have a color imbalance.
Only four non-passive yellow powers with a fair price -- Sentry, Hood, Thor, and Nick Fury. Falcon and Patch have good passives.
Only five non-passive purple powers with a fair price -- BWGS, Loki, Magneto, Nick Fury, and Falcon. Spiderman and Daken have good passives.

May as well give a link to Poll: Which 3* Most Needs a Buff?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Not much to say here but "agreed"
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    As an alternative to lowering the cost on Trickery, it'd be nice to see it have SOME impact against a team without strike tiles. For example, if there were no strike or protect tiles to convert, perhaps it would stun the enemy team for a turn, like symbiote snare. That would be pretty thematic, I think.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Any skill that is greater than 15AP, ie., over half of the maximum cache of 30AP, is too expensive.

It's rare to be in the position to fire off any of those skills even once in a match.

Also, Hood's Twin Pistols is only 15AP at 5 covers.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I would suggest that TBTI now falls on the overpriced side because with the new character levels they have made it MUCH more difficult to plan a team to maximize it, so the damage has dropped off. Not overpriced by much, but still a little.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    this is a great idea. would be great to get 2* Captn America to a useable state.

I disagree with Patch's Best There Is because it does so much raw damage and he's already ranked top5 in the game with it at that cost. They need to bring the 2* abilities more affordable first and foremost to promote diversity.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    I disagree with Patch's Best There Is because it does so much raw damage and he's already ranked top5 in the game with it at that cost.

With levels shifting around, it's possible for Best There Is to do 0 damage now. Since so much of this power relies on Patch claiming the tiles, it's overpriced if players can't control character levels any more.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Having played with bullseye for the fun of it recently, his black would actually be quite good if you could save up to cast it twice in the same turn. It is a fun and versatile ability made useless by its prohibitive cost and it being stuck to a 2 power 2* hero.

If it were set up at 15 ap I would use him just for that satisfaction of saving up 30 black and dropping the hammer on someone.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wish, sometimes, that anyone in power over there at the development studio was governed by reason. If they were we would likely see much more frequent balance updates and old characters might ever be buffed. But alas, none of them seem to care about improving the game. They only seem to be willing to make tweaks that cause spending.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Edit: double post

Also, in the 6 months+ that I have been playing this game, I do not think that a single character has been buffed I a noticeable way.
  • noobprime
    noobprime Posts: 403
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    I wish, sometimes, that anyone in power over there at the development studio was governed by reason.
    well, the reason = increasing spending, just saying icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    I disagree with Patch's Best There Is because it does so much raw damage and he's already ranked top5 in the game with it at that cost.

Part of the problem is that teams which were built around Patch were ruined by the level change, with no recourse. If you had set Hood up as a good partner, his increase now means he tanks a color that Patch covered. If I recall correctly, Hood now has his yellow at 62, where Patch is maxed at 61 for lvl 166. With no way to drop Hood a level, youre just SOL and need to rebuild Hood.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options

With levels shifting around, it's possible for Best There Is to do 0 damage now. Since so much of this power relies on Patch claiming the tiles, it's overpriced if players can't control character levels any more.

But it was possible for TBTI to do 0 damage before the level shift too. If he is maxed and has lost tanking yellow (or even red) for some people and their team combinations (probably those who took the most care leveling characters bellow max just for tanking colors reasons), he should still have at least green when center position, so 0 points sounds like an exaggeration. If he's not maxed then it may still be possible to level him some more, like before, until he tanks desired colors again. Solution to levels shifting messing people's rosters should be an option to decrease level, not change one character's ability.
  • Unknown
    Options
    noobprime wrote:
    bonerang wrote:
    I wish, sometimes, that anyone in power over there at the development studio was governed by reason.
    well, the reason = increasing spending, just saying icon_e_biggrin.gif

That is not a well reasoned approach though. It is going to kill their game.
  • MarvelMan
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    But it was possible for TBTI to do 0 damage before the level shift too. If he is maxed and has lost tanking yellow (or even red) for some people and their team combinations (probably those who took the most care leveling characters bellow max just for tanking colors reasons), he should still have at least green when center position, so 0 points sounds like an exaggeration. If he's not maxed then it may still be possible to level him some more, like before, until he tanks desired colors again. Solution to levels shifting messing people's rosters should be an option to decrease level, not change one character's ability.

Never said that changing the skill was the solution, just that it has moved to the overpriced side since they ruined some very carefully planned out teams. I concur that a decrease level option (losing the ISO spent) is probably the best solution. The "downside" I see to that is people playing with levels to suit team composition based on the event....but that is a strategy level I think is good for the game.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    bonerang wrote:
    Also, in the 6 months+ that I have been playing this game, I do not think that a single character has been buffed I a noticeable way.

Here are all the buffs I can find.
    1. Level shift. June 30.
    2. Faster healing times. June 25.
    3. Respec characters. Some time in February.
    4. Slight increase for 2* Capt America's shield. Feb 14.
    5. Minor Invisible Woman buff. Jan 13.
    6. Major buff for 1* Hawkeye. Dec 18.
    7. Moonstone learns Gravity Warp. Dec 5.
    8. OBW gains Espionage, Spiderman's Purple becomes useful.. Dec 3.
    9. Daken's Pheromone Rage made more effective. Nov 3.

And various new characters.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So it looks like once upon a time back in the winter the devs actually were committed to increasing diversity the right way. It's a damn shame they stopped.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hulk Smash is way worse than TBTI. Even Unibeam.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    Hulk Smash is way worse than TBTI. Even Unibeam.

With the longer games, and Hulk's increased health, and the tendancy to save Hulk for last, his Smash is quite dangerous, doing up to 5000+ damage. I got a loss in PvP due to it just today. Smash might not see much use on offence, but it gets used effectively on defense. (( By the way -- does anyone have a maxed Hulk with 5 red covers?))
  • Unknown
    Options
    The same dilemma exists if you save Patch for last, as he then will own every single tile.

And it's rare for the AI to save green so that his Smash will exceed base damage. Unless you angered him, but that would be your own fault.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As I've leveled up and play longer matches, I see fewer attacks are overpriced. Generally I find those worth waiting for. Up to 15 cost, I'm okay. What usually happens on the higher priced ones is that I use that color earlier for another attack. GSBW green and pink are worth waiting for even with other attacks available. I rarely wait for either IM blue.

Yes, it would be nice to see some attack costs come down but that is also part of the challenge when you create a team. For me it isn't just about winning matches, it is also about creating the different teams with different strengths. That is a game dynamic that keeps me coming back.