Something I really like about Doomskar Claimants.

Options
Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
I like that you are rewarded for playing the cards from the set both by getting objective points for using set cards, and the perma-supports actually help you cast those cards.

I think more set-dependent events should follow that model.

Comments

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's nice when you dont feel like you are being punished for trying to achieve the objectives.  I face far fewer decks that just dont care about objectives in this event than any other. 
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The event does a good job showcasing those cards, so much so that you start to think that those mechanics might actually be playable. But its a false advertisement kind of thing because they are not as great outside of the event.
  • fox1342_2
    fox1342_2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Apart from the Snow node - kill 4 of 1 type, which is really annoying. Esp as there's few (any?) snow kill cards.
  • Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    khurram said:
    The event does a good job showcasing those cards, so much so that you start to think that those mechanics might actually be playable. But its a false advertisement kind of thing because they are not as great outside of the event.
    I'm conflicted on this subject.

I do like the fact that the snow, and foretell nodes add power to the cards of that mechanic, but I don't like the fact that those cards are so low power in general. It's better than playing the Boast node, where you have to play with low power Boast cards for the objective, but are not given any kind of power boost (the extra damage to your opponent generally makes the node harder, not easier, because he dies faster, increasing the likelihood of missing objectives).

If an event node were to encourage me to play with e.g. Ninjutsu, I'd much rather it increased the power of the Ninjutsu mechanic than it did not. But far more preferable would be not to have all of the Ninjutsu cards such low power that they are unplayable outside of such an event, as they are currently.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Janosik said:
    khurram said:

I do like the fact that the snow, and foretell nodes add power to the cards of that mechanic, but I don't like the fact that those cards are so low power in general.
    I feel the same way. Stinks that it takes a special support / game rules to make these mechanics playable. The result is that we play with one group of KLD cards in non-KLD events, and then we whip out these set mechanic cards for the set event. Very odd feeling.
  • Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ii wish foretell acted like it does in the event  everywhere. It would be a dope mechanic. Last mechanic I was actually impresses with was mutate. Everything else has fell flat
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Tezzeret said:
    Ii wish foretell acted like it does in the event  everywhere. It would be a dope mechanic. Last mechanic I was actually impresses with was mutate. Everything else has fell flat
    Landforming came after mutate, but I mostly agree. SNC has some mechanics I genuinely enjoy, such a Blitz and Alliance. You can do a lot of fun things with Casualty too. If you count PMA, Deny can be really strong.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Janosik said:
    khurram said:

I do like the fact that the snow, and foretell nodes add power to the cards of that mechanic, but I don't like the fact that those cards are so low power in general. It's better than playing the Boast node, where you have to play with low power Boast cards for the objective, but are not given any kind of power boost (the extra damage to your opponent generally makes the node harder, not easier, because he dies faster, increasing the likelihood of missing objectives).

If an event node were to encourage me to play with e.g. Ninjutsu, I'd much rather it increased the power of the Ninjutsu mechanic than it did not. But far more preferable would be not to have all of the Ninjutsu cards such low power that they are unplayable outside of such an event, as they are currently.
    See I don't mind only using those cards in one event. There are so many legacy cards that I only pull out for one event as it is. This just follows that format.