Week 33. BW , Hela, Knull, Heimdall

12346»

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    She is my fourth choice for partners for Heimdall, they do work well together but she does not really help what he does. Lizard is better at it actually with his purple and stun. Throg is great for his landing AP generation. Even Be4ast generates blue charged tiles to increase his healing and generate AP reduction.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Shuri is also boosted this week, I recommend giving her a shot with Heimdall in pick 2. Use her red first, maybe always, because boosted her fort matching damage is quite high.

Odin was nearly the other have of whatever Heimdall is doing, but his fort spam mechanism isn’t on purpose enough and doesn’t work beyond the first hit he takes on a jump in front.
    The fact that the three of them overlap so much is what kills them most for me. I will say (to go off topic but in a different direction), I used Odin unboosted in shield sim with Wanda/Colossus and imagine it can be pretty annoying to face. Even though Odin only tanks red for me, he was still able to put fortified tiles down most matches. Having to chew through his health with the Wanda/Colossus damage nullifies had to be annoying, especially once he starts healing. And you can’t take out his protectors lest he keep jumping in front. I had plenty of defensive losses so it was far from a free shield, but I think I may have rated him too low (I think he just isn’t fun to play on offense, but his defense really is top notch if you have two other threats). 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

The policy is still on the books, and it's rewarded tons of non-spenders since then, so if it was meant to reward whales 6 years ago, that is obviously no longer the case.
    Historically 5*s started as a pay to get them. Obviously nobody could hoard nothing when they started the release, and now it's possible. I don't see nothing odd here. CS hasn't neglected his service before or now.
    I think this discussion was interesting because it was revealed what devs or CS did and why, although it's a position surely I won't never be as I still need to champ all the classics 5*s.
    Only in the case I'd get in the future 0/0/22 covers then I will contact CS. It's a possibility it could happen. 
    Between rumours from players and devs announcements, I choose the latest. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    I recall playing one week recently ( anniversary week?) where all my metas were 550 like whales have every day . It was my  worst gaming week here in 3 years . Boring , monotonous victories over all teams in 3 to 6 moves . Play time cut by over 50%.  Why would you spend 8 years in something with zero challenge or thought needed to succeed ? To me that game would be a living hell. 
      On a different topic of Ultron, I’m finding the Valtronaris ( can I coin that ?) team can stun lock usually in 4 moves . ( Unless I ever saw a Surfer some day ). 
    I mean nobody is forcing you to use meta characters. Use more characters on your roster that aren't meta or boosted if you want more of a challenge from the game. 
    Yes because in an entire year of 5* tier PvP NOT ONCE did I ever face a team without at least 1 meta character. (average 2.2 metas per opponent). It’s a shame every other player hasn’t had this idea . Or maybe I’m just the only player that enjoys challenges.
    Other players specifically don't use meta characters and they grind out 50-75 wins every event so what's stopping you from doing the same?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought this player's brand was ONLY having a small roster of "good" characters and not rostering bad ones at all? Has that changed?
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    This boost week is awful. 

I only play Knull and Heimdall because of their rainbow colors and big health pools. No other synergy there. 

Why is there so much discussion going on about 550 cover swaps? 
    Who needs those? When I play SCL10 I always earn at least 1,500 shards. 
    Always apply them AFTER pulling for a character when he's about to leave Latest!

Or if you want pull right away when he enters stop at 550 and wait a few weeks for the shards coming in. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Ares76 said:

Because it’s more interesting than this boost list I guess?
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    shardwick said:
    I recall playing one week recently ( anniversary week?) where all my metas were 550 like whales have every day . It was my  worst gaming week here in 3 years . Boring , monotonous victories over all teams in 3 to 6 moves . Play time cut by over 50%.  Why would you spend 8 years in something with zero challenge or thought needed to succeed ? To me that game would be a living hell. 
      On a different topic of Ultron, I’m finding the Valtronaris ( can I coin that ?) team can stun lock usually in 4 moves . ( Unless I ever saw a Surfer some day ). 
    I mean nobody is forcing you to use meta characters. Use more characters on your roster that aren't meta or boosted if you want more of a challenge from the game. 
    Yes because in an entire year of 5* tier PvP NOT ONCE did I ever face a team without at least 1 meta character. (average 2.2 metas per opponent). It’s a shame every other player hasn’t had this idea . Or maybe I’m just the only player that enjoys challenges.
    Other players specifically don't use meta characters and they grind out 50-75 wins every event so what's stopping you from doing the same?
    Never saw one EVER. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    shardwick said:
    shardwick said:
    Never saw one EVER. 
    @Mr_F plays like that and openly encourages others to do the same. So if you want more of a challenge then only use non-meta characters.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Srheer0 said:
    shardwick said:
    I disagree.

If you want good rewards for placement in PVP and PVE, you have to use meta teams. They are faster and more efficient than non meta teams. Hence being Meta. 

--

Back on topic. Knul is very fun when boosted. Now have an excuse to use my kitty.  

Hela... haven't even tried when boosted. iirc the green or red don't scale well?
    Hela's passive tile strengthening is what you want her for. The green is okay, the black can be brutal depending on how many blues are in play. at 5 covers, boosted, mine is strengthening ALL friendly specials on the board by 851 each whenever you down an enemy, so you want a high volume of them in play when you drop somebody if possible.

Thank you for the insight. The boost does sound good when you put it like that, i'm just not a fan of situational boosts where the cause is enemy death. It seems better in a wave node than in a round of pvp. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It’s undeniably better on wave nodes, and I think that is the mentality that caused us all to pass her over. We focused on green denial for Thor at the time, and that really doesn’t need a counter. It does do a good bonus so long as you have a high volume of specials in play on standard nodes though. Well, at least boosted it does.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    dianetics said:
    She is my fourth choice for partners for Heimdall, they do work well together but she does not really help what he does. Lizard is better at it actually with his purple and stun. Throg is great for his landing AP generation. Even Be4ast generates blue charged tiles to increase his healing and generate AP reduction.
    Lizard IS awesome with Heimdall, at least boosted in this PVE. I ran them with Odin on the challenge node, and then switched for clear-4 to boosted Shuri so that the AP discount would be more consistent and Heimdall could fire his blue for 3ap as well. The board shake you get from Lizard's repeater walk combined with Shuri's boosted fort matching damage is pretty fun.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Totally agree, I think it is his second best team right behind Throg and Vulture/Black Cat.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I really like Heimdall/Shuri/Magik as well, but he's interesting in the same way Hawkeye is that his best teams seem to be play-up 4*s.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Don't misunderstand -- their customer service is pretty good as far as these things go, and when you put in a ticket, they'll respond to you in a reasonable amount of time and do their best to resolve your issue.  The "white glove" service I was talking about is CS doing cover swaps.

If the swap policy is meant to help players catch up, why does it only apply under such limited and outdated conditions?  When it was put in place, it was meant to be an incentive for high spending players to continue to be high spending players, not to be used once or twice in a players' career.  If it's intended to do what people think, wouldn't it also apply to the other 25cp stores?  Why can't lower tier players make use of it?

If you've read hundreds of my posts without putting me on your ignore list...my condolences.  Sometimes I forget people are reading this stuff.  But I've been pretty clear about what I want, I think!  I want balance, or something approximating balance.  There's always going to be a best team, but the best characters should not be +200 levels ahead of the worst characters. 

New players should be able to succeed with any 5*, not just the best of the best.  They shouldn't have to hoard and wait for a good set of 3, they should all be good enough.  If someone's favorite character is Iron Man or Magneto, they should be able to champion that guy and do well.

Thanks for the response and sorry I took so long to reply, I was personally dreading what I may have stirred up and delayed... then you go and give a perfectly succinct response and now I'm feeling pretty silly :)
    Now that I understand your viewpoint on the swaps and such, you're totally right. At the least it should be extended to any Legendary store. They both still only reward the hoarders, but there's a little more player choice involved with allowing all, let someone hoard to... I don't even know the figure, 50000cp? and hit a favorites store if they want.
    To be totally honest, I had you on ignore for a while but I'm a glutton for punishment and after getting over some hurt feelings kept reading anyways and noticed you were making great points even when I wholeheartedly disagreed.  I've seen you champion balance but I suspect at times I disagreed with the method of getting there and didn't totally take your message to heart, just got angry about the specifics on how you thought we could get there. I'd like to think I've had good enough (but maybe opposing) ideas to drag the same out of some other posters... sounds like a healthy society to me!
    I think we're mostly aiming at the same goals, it's the routes we think can get us there as a whole that we're disagreeing on. I want everyone to be able to fight and you want everyone to be able to fight with their favorite characters.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Shuri is also boosted this week, I recommend giving her a shot with Heimdall in pick 2. Use her red first, maybe always, because boosted her fort matching damage is quite high.

Odin was nearly the other have of whatever Heimdall is doing, but his fort spam mechanism isn’t on purpose enough and doesn’t work beyond the first hit he takes on a jump in front.
    The fact that the three of them overlap so much is what kills them most for me. I will say (to go off topic but in a different direction), I used Odin unboosted in shield sim with Wanda/Colossus and imagine it can be pretty annoying to face. Even though Odin only tanks red for me, he was still able to put fortified tiles down most matches. Having to chew through his health with the Wanda/Colossus damage nullifies had to be annoying, especially once he starts healing. And you can’t take out his protectors lest he keep jumping in front. I had plenty of defensive losses so it was far from a free shield, but I think I may have rated him too low (I think he just isn’t fun to play on offense, but his defense really is top notch if you have two other threats). 

Odin unboosted is way better than boosted Odin, I wish they would find some way to "unsuck" the scaling on jump in-front mechanics... that team is absolute torture to face, it's not particularly strong (a synergestic well-piloted team will beat it eventually) so it's worthless on the lower score-scale but if you can pull it out in high placement no-one with experience against it would take the time to beat you.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I *really, really, really* don't want to open up that whole convoluted discussion again, but thanks for saying that.  It's pretty easy to get lost in debating minutiae but most of us do have the same goals for the game, often with very different ideas about how to get there.
  • Beefhammer69
    Beefhammer69 Posts: 58 Match Maker
    Ares76 said:

Who needs those? When I play SCL10 I always earn at least 1,500 shards. 
    Always apply them AFTER pulling for a character when he's about to leave Latest!

Or if you want pull right away when he enters stop at 550 and wait a few weeks for the shards coming in. 

Oh man. They’re talking about *level* 550 cover swaps, not 5/5/0 cover swaps. 
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 676 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    shardwick said:
    shardwick said:
    Never saw one EVER. 
    @Mr_F plays like that and openly encourages others to do the same. So if you want more of a challenge then only use non-meta characters.

Correction: has played like that. Curretly status: inactive. But true, I played like that. Griding wins over pts with whatever character I liked and could use.