***** Gamora (Deadliest Woman) *****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    They make a rainbow team as well. Perfectly balanced.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    In a nutshell, any new character not better than BRB, Kitty, Wanda or Apocalypse ( possibly Shang Chi) is going to be hated here and never see the light of PvP.  It’s a pattern we only see TWO game changers a year . I like what the devs do , I don’t want to keep adapting to a new meta every 3 months . This method gives me a whole year with little investment to chase those 2 annual metas and remain competitive. So the more characters that suck the longer the status quo remains. Those who play with a limited roster , this is a huge advantage for remaining in the game. 
  • mpiter
    mpiter Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I do not see the point of cluttering the roster with characters that people do not want.  It just decreases the likelihood to earn covers or shards of characters you do want.  I would prefer the creation of 6* characters instead of diluting the 4* and 5* worlds.  What is the use today of Classic Legends?
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpiter said:
    I do not see the point of cluttering the roster with characters that people do not want.  It just decreases the likelihood to earn covers or shards of characters you do want.  I would prefer the creation of 6* characters instead of diluting the 4* and 5* worlds.  What is the use today of Classic Legends?
    The point of "cluttering the roster with characters that people do not want" is to decrease the likelihood of earning covers or shards of characters you do want -- you answered your own question.

This game (and every other free-to-play mobile games) exists to make money, and it only exists because it makes money.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    She basically bypasses BRB's whole gimmick, that alone makes her worth rostering (considering horseface is still frequently encountered in PVP) even if her black seems erm...  underwhelming.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    mpiter said:
    The point is almost nobody cares how good they are, I look at the number of characters in an opponent’s PvP roster and 95% are here as collectionists. The devs would have to be idiots to ignore so blatant a huge game play demographic. They know quality of the character is irrelevant when the vast majority believe in “gotta champ or roster them all “. You can literally play this game well with 100 characters , and 10 in PvP. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Picked up her yellow from the deadly Gamora store.
    been running introducing a bit. The yellow really feels like the only useful power. Guess we will see more with her PvP event. Maybe run switch and electro to try and get several yellows off at once.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    When wanda and colossus are the meta, I don't think this character is so sucking as she is the first valid counter(and not ultron). Now players need to think the best sinergy as her powers colors are identical as the 2 best boosters and almost the same as the tiles buffer.
    So, you all wanted or not, she is meta predator and she will see pvp use.
    I doubt they will release a better damage reduction counter. Or at least soon enough.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    mpiter said:
    The point of "cluttering the roster with characters that people do not want" is to decrease the likelihood of earning covers or shards of characters you do want -- you answered your own question.

This game (and every other free-to-play mobile games) exists to make money, and it only exists because it makes money.
    The point is almost nobody cares how good they are, I look at the number of characters in an opponent’s PvP roster and 95% are here as collectionists. The devs would have to be idiots to ignore so blatant a huge game play demographic. They know quality of the character is irrelevant when the vast majority believe in “gotta champ or roster them all “. You can literally play this game well with 100 characters , and 10 in PvP. 
    I don't think devs are intentionally creating characters that players don't want. I think they are trying their best to come up with something different and interesting each time. Unfortunately, many characters fall flat. For example, look at the thread What Marvel character are you hoping for? Many players have come up with their own creations that are often thought-provoking, but not always good. Spoiler alert: I suggested several and, going back at a second glance, some of them are pretty bad. To be fair, if I were commissioned, I would have spent more time and come up with fewer suggestions, but I doubt they all would have been great. 

It's fair to state that the work that devs are doing is not good. Their work is subject to public opinion. It is not fair to suggest that they don't care or are intentionally putting out bad content to drive business or dilute resources. Their work is not a reflection of their thoughts or feelings. How many of our parents put a **** picture we made on the fridge just because we thought it was so great? 

Let's continue to criticize their work, but I would like to see less bashing of the devs' intentions and beliefs (unless they're made public). Now, I don't believe in telling people what they should and should not do as it's a matter of choice/free will, so if you choose to use a dev's work to criticize them as a person, by all means, go ahead.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The dev has already shared how they design characters. Basically, they will choose three traits of that characters and translate them into MPQ mechanics. However, when necessary, they will create mechanics to shift the meta. On top of that they have formulas to calculate how each effect affects the power damage and ability costs.

In this forum and reddit, if players were to design characters' abilities, many of them are going to make sure that:

1) abilities' conditions are easy to fulfill, like matching teamup for Okoye or matching special tiles for Polaris. If you give them abilities like Ronan's blue or Odin's abilities, it's not straightforward and they don't have the patience to execute their movesets.

2) they don't need to wait a long time to fire a power or activate a power via cds or repeaters.

3) make sure they pass their minimum damage/ap rule, even if the ability has 3-4 other effects.

There are a couple of characters that break these rules, like Shang-Chi. However, majority of the characters are useless because the way these players approach characters' designs are totally different from the dev's approach. One is all about practicality and efficiency; the other creativity. It's like asking a mathematician and an artist to get into a relationship for life. It might work but the drastic difference in mindset/way of thinking will cause a lot of communication problems in the future.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    She only seems useful for her yellow, which may help quite a bit or not at all. Depending on how long the repeater lasts, if it gets destroyed or matched. Being fairly cheap at least you can use the power often I guess. However I can't tell you how many times I've used Apoc and took a lot longer than expected to get his cheap yellow off due to a bad board. I

When to use her yellow will be a factor also. Doesn't seem sensible to fire it off soon as you get the AP if the only damage you'll be doing is match damage. Seems like you'd want to wait until your heavy hitting teammates have their powers ready to go. If you use yellow soon as you get the AP, the repeater very well won't last long. Anyone whose used other repeater characters knows how frustrating they are, especially 5captain Marvel. Most fights her red ability might as well not even exist due to how easy it gets matched, due to random placement and always landing in a bad spot. 

As far as the quality of characters they release. They don't all have to be metas, but it's certainly fair to criticize them for releasing characters dead on arrival, or characters with very underwhelming and under tuned abilities. Half the 5s released this year with proper tuning would be very fun and functional to play, without being meta shakers. It's juat sad so many 5s are close to completely irrelevant before even hitting LLs. Then having to pull these lousy characters if there happens to be one good 5 that is paired up with them. 

In some ways D3 just makes this more of a meta game by making so many lackluster 5s. That simply pushes many players into hoarding to be ale to get the 2 or 3 characters worth pulling for, or that someone with a advanced 5* roster would ever use. If they simply gave some of these lousy 5s better tuning, they would be more appealing for people to want to pull for and use. At least that would not make the this game as meta heavy as it is. Or if they got serious about balancing and giving older characters tune-ups on a regular basis. 
  • entrailbucket
    Akoni said:
    mpiter said:

I don't think devs are intentionally creating characters that players don't want. I think they are trying their best to come up with something different and interesting each time. Unfortunately, many characters fall flat. For example, look at the thread What Marvel character are you hoping for? Many players have come up with their own creations that are often thought-provoking, but not always good. Spoiler alert: I suggested several and, going back at a second glance, some of them are pretty bad. To be fair, if I were commissioned, I would have spent more time and come up with fewer suggestions, but I doubt they all would have been great. 

It's fair to state that the work that devs are doing is not good. Their work is subject to public opinion. It is not fair to suggest that they don't care or are intentionally putting out bad content to drive business or dilute resources. Their work is not a reflection of their thoughts or feelings. How many of our parents put a **** picture we made on the fridge just because we thought it was so great? 

Let's continue to criticize their work, but I would like to see less bashing of the devs' intentions and beliefs (unless they're made public). Now, I don't believe in telling people what they should and should not do as it's a matter of choice/free will, so if you choose to use a dev's work to criticize them as a person, by all means, go ahead.
    Oh don't misunderstand -- I'm not criticizing them or their intentions.

This game is an ongoing business.  It's not like a AAA game where you pay $60 once (or $60 plus $20 for the "DLC" and you're done).  Businesses like this exist to make money.  The game exists to make money.  It's not unique in that -- all of the free to play mobile games are the same way.

The only problem is when players expect the devs to behave in a way that undermines their business model.  If players want them to do stuff that will lose them money, and get upset that they're not doing things that will lose them money, that is those players' problem, not the devs'. 

This is not a AAA console or PC game, and if you want them to act like it is, you should just go play one of those instead.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    She’s worth it just for the TU ability for 7ap. 
  • entrailbucket
    edited October 2021
    To expand on what I said: I don't think they're intentionally putting out bad characters. My opinion on the issue is that they simply don't know what makes characters good, and they don't know which characters will be overpowered or underpowered. 

I believe there's a lot of evidence that supports this over the years. They try to make characters that are mediocre by our definition, and occasionally they screw up and make a really good or really bad one. They used to fix those screwups, and now they don't, because fixing the overpowered guys causes some players to throw increasingly scary tantrums, and no one cares when they fix the underpowered ones.  

But make no mistake, the reason they have to continuously release characters at all is money. The more characters there are in the game, the more roster slots they sell. That is their business model. They will never, ever stop releasing new characters. It's not a moral judgement, it just *is*.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like her with half-life thor and Wanda. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Impressions after playing a bit her pvp:

- wanda is a great partner as yellow doesn't mess up friends damage reduction 

- her repeater is on yellow. That makes possible to predict where it could appear and prevent matches(funny and tactical approach)
    - loaner cd is 3 turns but it helps a lot. Random stunning depends on luck but I think it would be funny and efective on a champed gamora.

I can see a partnership on pick 2 gamora SW. On this duo gamora can fire her powers freely. On pick 3 another one making it juicier.
    If taking out damage reduction, colossus and particularly SW will be easy and quick to kill, and here is their assasin.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Tony_Foot said:
    She’s worth it just for the TU ability for 7ap. 

Are you even able to send that as a teamup?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards

Press : 

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would you not be able to send it when you can receive it if you defeat a team in her PVP?
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Why would you not be able to send it when you can receive it if you defeat a team in her PVP?

Good to know then I haven't started her PVP yet.