PvP MMR

13»

Comments

• hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    67IronMan said:
    So I am trying to understand the intricacies of PvP MMR. I am currently can make it to 75 wins quite easily within the Polaris meta (Grocket > Karnak > Sabertooth and back again.

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with a handful of low level 4*s and no 5*s. 75 wins seems pretty amazing to me as I can barely get 25 for the HP (level 8) and have hit 40 a few times, 75 twice with Shang-Chi and one other 5* intro event. To regularly hit 75 would be fantastic. However, seems like after seed teams I'm immediately facing numerous teams with mid-level 5*s that have double or triple the health of my boosted chars. MMR is a total mystery. I pay a hefty skip tax and can eventually find teams in my range, but it takes a while (and lots of iso) to do that. I've even tried the advice of losing a few battles but still getting huge teams in my queue. What gives?
    I'm still less than a year into the game, so I know what you mean. Two quick points:

I would recommend champing your 3*s, but others say to keep them soft-capped, so look deeply into both options. The added health and damage output are nice, but the champ rewards are what will propel you into having a roster that is more capable of handling better rosters than yours, (which you will never get away from.) But others say that keeping them soft-capped will keep your MMR down, but if you're facing teams with 5*s, then it looks like your MMR is already high enough that I don't think it will matter.

Find a combo that works well for you. For me, I rode the winfinite team of 2* Bullseye, 3* Black Widow, and 3* Magneto to a large number of wins, especially against teams that I had no business beating. It's not a fast team by any means, and target priority matters (anyone that does things on your turn, like Strange, Daken, 2* Bullseye, Loki, etc. And direct counters are Killmonger and Je4n Grey). But if you can get to 11 purple (for BW) or 11 green (for BE), you can usually manipulate the board and keep firing powers for the rest of the game until you win. You will lose on the revenge attacks, so keep that in mind, too. But for me, I found great satisfaction beating a team of 3 5*s and imagining the other player going "How the f___ did that team beat me?"

Good luck on your climb!
  • 67IronMan
    67IronMan Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    hothie said:
    67IronMan said:
    So I am trying to understand the intricacies of PvP MMR. I am currently can make it to 75 wins quite easily within the Polaris meta (Grocket > Karnak > Sabertooth and back again.

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with a handful of low level 4*s and no 5*s. 75 wins seems pretty amazing to me as I can barely get 25 for the HP (level 8) and have hit 40 a few times, 75 twice with Shang-Chi and one other 5* intro event. To regularly hit 75 would be fantastic. However, seems like after seed teams I'm immediately facing numerous teams with mid-level 5*s that have double or triple the health of my boosted chars. MMR is a total mystery. I pay a hefty skip tax and can eventually find teams in my range, but it takes a while (and lots of iso) to do that. I've even tried the advice of losing a few battles but still getting huge teams in my queue. What gives?
    I'm still less than a year into the game, so I know what you mean. Two quick points:

I would recommend champing your 3*s, but others say to keep them soft-capped, so look deeply into both options. The added health and damage output are nice, but the champ rewards are what will propel you into having a roster that is more capable of handling better rosters than yours, (which you will never get away from.) But others say that keeping them soft-capped will keep your MMR down, but if you're facing teams with 5*s, then it looks like your MMR is already high enough that I don't think it will matter.

Find a combo that works well for you. For me, I rode the winfinite team of 2* Bullseye, 3* Black Widow, and 3* Magneto to a large number of wins, especially against teams that I had no business beating. It's not a fast team by any means, and target priority matters (anyone that does things on your turn, like Strange, Daken, 2* Bullseye, Loki, etc. And direct counters are Killmonger and Je4n Grey). But if you can get to 11 purple (for BW) or 11 green (for BE), you can usually manipulate the board and keep firing powers for the rest of the game until you win. You will lose on the revenge attacks, so keep that in mind, too. But for me, I found great satisfaction beating a team of 3 5*s and imagining the other player going "How the f___ did that team beat me?"

Good luck on your climb!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely take your advice into consideration. As for capping, the purpose is not to avoid potentially bigger teams, but rather to buy me time to build HP and iso for the 4*s that come once you get into champ levels, and there are a lot if you champ all 47 3*s with some giving 2 different 4*s, so it's a matter of economics.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    As an aside I have levelled Kitty to 330 with the intention of champing her. It hasn't affected my PvP at all so far, not that I expected it to. I'm not sure when I will get the necessary iso, or if it I will blow it on random 2 or 4*s, I have a couple feeders with 10 champ levels saved. I am also considering gutting my 2* duplicate farm to champ her though, especially since they are no longer necessary for PvE. The extra 1* characters that have never been rostered will appreciate the space I imagine. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    justsing said:
    Not true. If you have Polaris champed, then a single 5* champ of Kitty or BRB works very well. It doesn't matter if you only have a handful of 4*s champed or if you don't have other 5*s close to finished. You'd be seeing other single 5* champ teams in PVP and can beat them pretty easily. 

Maybe I should have worded that differently. By "incomplete" I was referring to having a decent number of meta characters champed:

"A 2* player with an incomplete 2* roster can benefit greatly from a single champed 3* character. *By incomplete I mean few meta or champed characters."

With that said, your case holds true with my statement. You do not need every single 4* champed, let alone rostered, in order to be competitive. A reliable handful of meta characters will do the job. In addition, you will notice that I never said that the 5* needs to be champed. Team building is a critical component in this game, so even a 3-cover character can be good. I, for example, have no champed 5*, but still benefit from using them. 

justsing said:

It's when you start looking to champ more 5*s that you have to be cautious because you'll be seeing dual 5* champ teams once you champ a second 5*. Those teams will likely be ones featuring Colossu5, 5witch, and/or a boosted 5* of the week, so you have to make sure you have a team that can beat those.
    Good advice. I agree. I've noticed that in addition to the level of a champed character, the more of them you have, the more it impacts the MMR.