PvP MMR

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Lol @ post-HP…I have 355 roster slots and I don’t have multiple dupes or anything like that. Post-iso is a thing, post-HP will only be a thing if you just ignore all new releases.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    Lol @ post-HP…I have 355 roster slots and I don’t have multiple dupes or anything like that. Post-iso is a thing, post-HP will only be a thing if you just ignore all new releases.
    I guess it really depends on what you're spending your hp on. I have about 70k hp right now and have 304 roster slots. All characters rostered except for Ultron and a few 1* characters. Dupe sets of my 2s and 3s, about to start rostering dupes of my 4s when they begin to max out. I spend 300 hp every pvp for a 24 hr shield. I just spent 4k hp on that Medusa/Strange promotion the other day and have already recovered it. I don't spend hp on daily deals and I rarely buy shards anymore. I spend $2 a month, but for the longest time I was free to play. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 said:
    There are 248 characters in the game. They can release 7 more before I need another slot. That is, If I can roster them as I still do not have Ultron or 23 classic 5*s. So I’m essentially post hp.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stay in the 4* range until you have a good trio to dunk on easier teams. Having only good 5* will place you in the badland desert for a long time.
    It happened to me. Don't jump until you have good to great pair.
  • 67IronMan
    67IronMan Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    So I am trying to understand the intricacies of PvP MMR. I am currently can make it to 75 wins quite easily within the Polaris meta (Grocket > Karnak > Sabertooth and back again.

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with a handful of low level 4*s and no 5*s. 75 wins seems pretty amazing to me as I can barely get 25 for the HP (level 8) and have hit 40 a few times, 75 twice with Shang-Chi and one other 5* intro event. To regularly hit 75 would be fantastic. However, seems like after seed teams I'm immediately facing numerous teams with mid-level 5*s that have double or triple the health of my boosted chars. MMR is a total mystery. I pay a hefty skip tax and can eventually find teams in my range, but it takes a while (and lots of iso) to do that. I've even tried the advice of losing a few battles but still getting huge teams in my queue. What gives?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rule of thumb for max pvp scoring without using any shield:

1-2* players: 7XX
    3* players: 8XX
    4* players: 9XX-10XX
    5* players: 1XXX (depending on slice)

Using an average of 60 points per win, you will be able to work out how many wins you need. For me, I can hit 1200 in 20 wins or so in the high scoring slice or 10XX in slice 2 or slice 5. All these are done without using more than 1 shield.

For 4* players and lower, you will need to do 75 wins to get the last reward of X CP.  

PvP involves some form of psychology and timing.

1) If you play right at the start of the event, chances are you are playing with competitive players who are there to feed points. Because the number of players who play at the start are few, it means MMR will match you up with "impossible" teams to beat sooner. On the flip side, if you play near the end of the slice, players are already shielding up and your number of opponents will be reduced. Some players enjoy causing other players to lose point, so you will find many of them unshielded near the end of the pvp. Their goal is not to get high placement, but their goal is to prevent other players from hitting high scores. 

2) Each enemy team has score assigned to them. The highest is 75 and the lowest in the mid single digit range. This tells you how far apart the score between you and your opponent are. It matters a lot because when you defeat another opponent, you will appear as a retal or red node at their end.

For example, your score is 100 and the enemy score is 1000. If you beat him, you gain 75 points. If he hits you back, he gains probably 2-3 points. When he hits you back, he will appear in your retal nodes, giving you 75 points. This will go back and forth until the disparity between your points gets closer and closer. Because of this, that opponent will highly unlikely to hit you back because he has a lot more to lose than to gain. If you see someone with 37-38 points, it means your score are pretty close together. If you beat him, you will probably appear to him 4X points instead. So, he has more to gain to hit you back unless he found someone with higher score.

To summarise, for 4* players and lower players who are not looking at getting the rewards from 1000 points onwards and not looking at plavement rewards,  simply play 8-36 hours before the the pvp ends. Keep skipping until you find opponents who are worth 5X-7X points.
  • Sekilicious
    67IronMan said:
    So I am trying to understand the intricacies of PvP MMR. I am currently can make it to 75 wins quite easily within the Polaris meta (Grocket > Karnak > Sabertooth and back again.

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with a handful of low level 4*s and no 5*s. 75 wins seems pretty amazing to me as I can barely get 25 for the HP (level 8) and have hit 40 a few times, 75 twice with Shang-Chi and one other 5* intro event. To regularly hit 75 would be fantastic. However, seems like after seed teams I'm immediately facing numerous teams with mid-level 5*s that have double or triple the health of my boosted chars. MMR is a total mystery. I pay a hefty skip tax and can eventually find teams in my range, but it takes a while (and lots of iso) to do that. I've even tried the advice of losing a few battles but still getting huge teams in my queue. What gives?
    I had a similar experience as you until I rostered Polaris. PvP was too grinding to do anything beyond 40 wins max. The reason speed and passives are king is because they reduce the rng needed to get through the grind in a reasonable amount of time. Polaris (with Grocket) is the fastest 4* and she builds as the match progresses. But she will be a ways off for you yet. So in your case, to improve your PvP experience make sure you keep building up your IM40, Strange, Kamala, IF, Cage, Switch, and for a few of the events Capt America and Grey Suit Black Widow. The first 5 helped me get through the 3* tier immensely.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    shardwick said:
    Rod5 said:
    I guess it really depends on what you're spending your hp on. I have about 70k hp right now and have 304 roster slots. All characters rostered except for Ultron and a few 1* characters. Dupe sets of my 2s and 3s, about to start rostering dupes of my 4s when they begin to max out. I spend 300 hp every pvp for a 24 hr shield. I just spent 4k hp on that Medusa/Strange promotion the other day and have already recovered it. I don't spend hp on daily deals and I rarely buy shards anymore. I spend $2 a month, but for the longest time I was free to play. 

How!?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    67IronMan said:

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with 
    This is a bit too much. Perhaps your low scores is because you are capping 3* characters. 
    It's time for my digression. 
    I was thinking when was the last time I capped a character. And then I remembered I was lying because I never capped a character at all since I started playing, and if I was starting right now I never would be softcapping either.
    I think people has too much fear of fighting strong players. Well, this game has 2 halfs, if in one half they beat you, in another you can win better rewards the more stronger you grow.
    And that was what I did since I started playing: to play pve(everyone knows a freemium game cannot be mastered in pvp at the beginning).
    Right now I usually beat players with 5* characters even 60 levels higher than mines, as the AI is too dumb that it doesn't matter. 
    Right now there are feeders, there are a lot of shards the game gives for to roster or develop one if the 4 characters damage multipliers, there is polaris, in LL there is a character who can beat anything with just a bit of support.
    What players achieve softcapping is nothing more ghan to be stuck in eternal monotony, and to be passed by other players driving at better speed.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    shardwick said:
    Rod5 said:

How!?
    He's probably been playing longer than you. I'm in essentially the same spot roster and HP wise and I also bought the Medusa deal and spend 300 HP on a shield in PvP (or lesser amount if I finish <24 hrs before end time). I buy the VIP instead of spending $2 a month. So at least 2 of us are managing it.
    I'm playing CL8 in PvE and doing max clears (4+3) and CL10 in PvP and hitting just over 900 in terms of generating HP rewards.
    I've also been playing for over 5 years too (VIP for last 2) so my accumulated totals in things like HP/ISO have added up over the years (I have 3000ish unopened Elite/Heroic tokens and 2000 taco tokens I could cash for HP/covers/health packs etc). It really is a marathon and not a sprint so you'll get there.
    KGB
  • 67IronMan
    67IronMan Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    I had a similar experience as you until I rostered Polaris. PvP was too grinding to do anything beyond 40 wins max. The reason speed and passives are king is because they reduce the rng needed to get through the grind in a reasonable amount of time. Polaris (with Grocket) is the fastest 4* and she builds as the match progresses. But she will be a ways off for you yet. So in your case, to improve your PvP experience make sure you keep building up your IM40, Strange, Kamala, IF, Cage, Switch, and for a few of the events Capt America and Grey Suit Black Widow. The first 5 helped me get through the 3* tier immensely.

Thank you, Sekilicious, for your empathic reply and helpful advice.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Bad said:
    67IronMan said:

I'm still pretty new to this game. I have all 2*s max champed and most 3*s capped at pre-champ level 166 with 
    I was thinking when was the last time I capped a character. And then I remembered I was lying because I never capped a character at all since I started playing, and if I was starting right now I never would be softcapping either.
    I think people has too much fear of fighting strong players. Well, this game has 2 halfs, if in one half they beat you, in another you can win better rewards the more stronger you grow.
    In my experience, champing lower tier characters is more of a benefit than a risk. In the lower tiers, you have the opportunity to get more rewards with some impact on MMR, but not enough to make it unreasonable to go for the rewards. It's not until you get up to 5* land that the MMR is more impactful making you question the benefit compared to the rewards. The neutralizer is your roster.
    • A 2* player with an incomplete 2* roster can benefit greatly from a single champed 3* character. *By incomplete I mean few meta or champed characters.
    • A 3* player with an incomplete 3* roster can benefit a little with a champed 4* character. The competition is a bit tougher making you question the value of the rewards compared to the resources (effort, health packs, iso, etc.) you need to spend. 
    • A 4* player with an incomplete 4* roster will likely get crushed with a single 5* champed character. At this point, you will need to roster 2-3 good 5* characters in order to do well. 
    There is more wiggle room in the lower tiers because the jump in health and match damage is smaller between 1* and 2* compared to 4* and 5*. Yes, the higher tier rewards are better, but you'll need more resources to get them. You can use more health packs or you can get better characters. My suggestion is to fill out your roster at the tier you're in first. You don't have to catch'em all, but you do want some of the big hitters champed high. Now you're using fewer health packs and earning more points. You will naturally hit the next tier through champ rewards and tokens. If you rush to the next tier without building a good foundation in the tier you're in, then your shiny, new, awesome character will have no support characters to fall back on.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2021
    Akoni said:
    Bad said:
    67IronMan said:

• A 4* player with an incomplete 4* roster will likely get crushed with a single 5* champed character. At this point, you will need to roster 2-3 good 5* characters in order to do well. 
    Not true. If you have Polaris champed, then a single 5* champ of Kitty or BRB works very well. It doesn't matter if you only have a handful of 4*s champed or if you don't have other 5*s close to finished. You'd be seeing other single 5* champ teams in PVP and can beat them pretty easily. 

It's when you start looking to champ more 5*s that you have to be cautious because you'll be seeing dual 5* champ teams once you champ a second 5*. Those teams will likely be ones featuring Colossu5, 5witch, and/or a boosted 5* of the week, so you have to make sure you have a team that can beat those.
  • Sekilicious
    justsing said:
    Akoni said:
    Bad said:
    67IronMan said:

Not true. If you have Polaris champed, then a single 5* champ of Kitty or BRB works very well. It doesn't matter if you only have a handful of 4*s champed or if you don't have other 5*s close to finished. You'd be seeing other single 5* champ teams in PVP and can beat them pretty easily. 

It's when you start looking to champ more 5*s that you have to be cautious because you'll be seeing dual 5* champ teams once you champ a second 5*. Those teams will likely be ones featuring Colossu5, 5witch, and/or a boosted 5* of the week, so you have to make sure you have a team that can beat those.
    I want to champ Kitty so badly. This might have made my decision though now I’m scared of multiple 5* MMR lol. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I want to champ Kitty so badly. This might have made my decision though now I’m scared of multiple 5* MMR lol. 
    Take the red pill, enter supersaijan mode, get rid off the limitations, and fly lol.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    MegaBee said:
    shardwick said:
    Rod5 said:

How!?
    I farm a lot, although lately I've been pouring iso into leveling up my 5s, but once I'm done I will mainly be focusing on flipping my 3s, and champing the occasional 4* or 5*, so the resources will really be coming in then along with more LTs which is more champ rewards. And just to give an idea on my farming when I flip a 3* that's 500 hp right there. I then change my favorite to the next highest 3* that is closest to being max champed and they're usually around lv 255. Between there and 266 is a lot of pretty solid rewards like 250 hp, 15 cp, lots of shards and then another 500 hp when I flip that one. And since I'm a bit frugal on my hp it doesn't take long for the hp to really add up.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    justsing said:
    Akoni said:
    Bad said:
    67IronMan said:

Getting to 900 in PVP will be quick and easy. (Plus if you're playing or looking to play CL10 PVE, champed Kitty helps a lot.) Once you're above 900 in PVP though, you'll be much more visible to bigger 5* teams, so you'll likely have the same issues getting to 1200 without coordination via LINE or decent luck and speed during shield hopping. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I only have 6 champed 5* ( 3 considered meta) and I have no problem climbing the SCL 10 PvP.  My Kitty is one cover , and 36 others are 1-2 covers , but it obviously only takes one meta team to compete . ( I do skip the 90% of opponents that are all clones of each other , more out of avoiding monotonous play than fear ).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a video showing some of the tips in play:

https://streamable.com/xi8vsh

1) skip and look for high point opponents (6x-7x) instead of hitting easy opponents with low points. You will notice a lot of easy opponents being skipped because they are worth only 3X points. 

2) event ends in 31 hours: not playing right at the beginning or near the end of the event.

I commonly see 4* players and lower saying that that they hit 13 wins and out. 13 wins will bring you the first cp reward. However, if you follow the strategy in this video, 13 wins will net you an additional  Mighty Token, some red iso and hp instead. This video is actually 22 minutes long but 5 minutes + video was shown to demonstrate the concept. 22 minutes of straight play netted 734 points in 12 wins.

For non-competitive 5* players, this strategy will help you achieve 1200 points in 20 wins or so, instead of 75 wins. However, you need to play in high scoring slice like Slice 1 and you need to play in a block of 45 minutes. If not you need to put a shield and then come back again. If you have only relic 5* champed, you might need more wins.

For 4* players and lower wanting to hit 1200 without 75 wins, you need to do shield hopping. There's no other way unless you are so lucky no one hits you while climbing. You'll probably need to spend 600-800 hp to shield hop to 1200 wins.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

justsing said:
    Akoni said:
    Bad said:
    67IronMan said:

Do you already use Kitty pretty much in everything you do? If so and you are fine with that then champing her will not be a disaster. This is the real issue when going to 5* land - you have to use that champed 5* because MMR forces you to. If you get bored playing the same character over and over that is the danger. From my perspective I waited - probably will people think I waited too long/sub optimal as I could have gone a year earlier but I made sure when I went I went with 6 playable 5* including Apocalypse, BRB and Kitty with back up from JJ, Professor X and Cable. I was then able to add Thor, Adam Warlock and Scarlet Witch (and hopefully more soon). It made 5* land more palatable (and also meant that I did not have to run the very squishy Polaris). That worked for me. I had already deliberately levelled a character high enough to experience single 5* champ MMR before champing anybody and decided the experience wasn't for me but you wont know until you go.
    Kitty is an OP partner at 4* land and still an excellent one at 5* land but her health is pretty outdated and on the lower side compared to newer 5* it has to be noted.