**** The Hydra Stomper (Steve Rogers) ****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could be good with Drax and 4* Carol to maximize CD shenanigans. Or Coulson or Flaptain to do countdown shortening.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Ahh. Forgot to mention Domino too.  

Domino increases the chances for falling tiles to be black.  

This is a boon to Steve Stompers kit.  Just needs a third ally to get board shakes and maybe uses black AP for big dmg. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can't stun them, send them airborne for normal matches. Riri is my favourite. Other less effective options are Nova and Northstar.

You need to use Hydra Stomper's tile destruction to create countdown tiles. Domino is merely there to increase the number of countdown tiles. Destroying 9 tiles will create 1-2 cds. Domino increases it to 2-3 cds. 
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Srheer0 said:
    My guest thought... This character was solely made to be paired with Peggy on 5* Essential node in the Simulator PvE. 

It's been years since I played but I always stunned Peggy to avoid her passive, but you can't with this high HP Iron Cap. I look forward to seeing all the posts asking how they beat this pair.

In 5star land, he could potentially be amazing with BrB and with Polaris. Or with Apoc and BrB. It's just a shame he isn't likely to be tanking yellow blue green colours with them, so his blue passive won't be useful if paired with higher match damage allies in those 3 colours. 
    I use BRB/Polaris and Apocalypse a ton and was excited when I first seen this kit. Then got to looking at it and I don't think it does anything all that great for those characters.
    His Blue is arguably his best power and he has to tank for that power to work. And BRB is gonna tank every color over this guy making it useless. And even Polaris is gonna naturally tank Blue (the color you want for her) over this guy unless she is undercovered or you are using a support in PVE.
    His Green destroys 9 tiles for 10 AP that could be handy for BRB/Polaris. But 1* Juggernaut destroys 16 tiles for just 6 AP. And 4* Thanos destroys 32 tiles for 12 AP. You have 3* Hulk as another one that does the same thing and can also passively create green. So you have much better options out there already on that front.
    His Yellow creates 3 protect tiles for 8 AP. If you are wanting protect tiles for BRB/Polaris there are plenty of better options there as well. Kitty's yellow does the same thing but also passively makes them much better. Nico makes 4 protect tiles for 7 AP. Red Guardian makes 3 protect tiles every time you fire a power. Plenty of others that do this better and cheaper for that team (Beast, Magik etc.)
    The same thing with pairing him with Apocalypse. I don't want his Green shaking up the board when I have Apoc's repeaters on the board. His blue won't generate the colors I need (yellow, red and black). If I want protect tiles the same thing as above there are better options. And better options that are mutants like Magik and Beast that also make Apocalypse unable to be stunned....
    The character looks like its more for newer or 3/4* rosters.
    If anything I think if this guy is gonna be of use for higher rosters its because of his countdowns and how that can work with people that exploit them such as Captain Marvel, Coulson or 5* Hawkeye.

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    His green is worded such that it likely will not work as a winfinite option. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    If you can't stun them, send them airborne for normal matches. Riri is my favourite. Other less effective options are Nova and Northstar.

You need to use Hydra Stomper's tile destruction to create countdown tiles. Domino is merely there to increase the number of countdown tiles. Destroying 9 tiles will create 1-2 cds. Domino increases it to 2-3 cds. 
    You can use Hydra Stomper's green first, then use other board destruction abilities to get more tiles dropping.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited September 2021
    Most tile destruction abilities are green. A few that don't use green are Monica and Quake. I think Monica has the best potential (if you have 6 of all aps) because she destroys up to 25 tiles. However, I would not be able to slot in Coulson or C4rol to take advantage of those countdown tiles. So, I need to save up 24 green aps to maximise the number of cd tiles using a team of Hydra Stomper, Domino and Coulson.
  • HoundofShadow
    I played his Introducing... once and I feel like he has Domino's passive ability built in secretly. This character is really fun to play. He needs to be teamed up with someone who has strong fire power to take advantage of those aps. He's going to make expensive abilities feel slightly cheaper.
  • Sekilicious
    I definitely was wishing I had C4rol and Coulson during his first introducing event. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    He’s much better than I expected. Maybe I got a lucky board but I burned through the first two caps quickly and was firing a power nearly every turn.

not sure he will take a place in my 4* groups but I feel could be on a third team on my 4* groups
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Oh! I can't wait to run a Hydra Stomper/Captain Marvel/Domino team. I'm eager to see how fast I can fire CM's black use CM to boost HS's protects. There is some overlap with color so purple is left out, but that shouldn't be too bad... I hope.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I had 30 AP in 4 colors at end of battle. Chavez and someone else he could tank for seems like a good choice for 4* players 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I was think Wiccan/Carnage might be a fun team with him. Or Bolt at the 5* tier.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I was think Wiccan/Carnage might be a fun team with him. Or Bolt at the 5* tier.
    Wiccan would quickly become the DemiUrge tanking everything and possibly hindering HS
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Wiccan would quickly become the DemiUrge tanking everything and possibly hindering HS
    Wiccan tanking on the other team's turns won't hinder Hydra Stomper.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    In this scenario hydra stomper exists to facilitate that, then Wiccan’s line clearing nonsense should allow more tiles to drop. Carnage seeding enemy specials gives his green something to bounce off.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    If nothing else, he's fun. But the fact that Hydra Stomper has to be the one making a match really hurts him. Especially considering he's the 115th 4*. He won't be tanking much of anything unless you either bring him to 370, or team him with Sighclops (The problem with that being that you would be using Sighclops).
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    If nothing else, he's fun. But the fact that Hydra Stomper has to be the one making a match really hurts him. Especially considering he's the 115th 4*. He won't be tanking much of anything unless you either bring him to 370, or team him with Sighclops (The problem with that being that you would be using Sighclops).
    Bingo.  I think he is going to be a BIG hit with new players but not a 4* that 5* players will use unless required.
  • Sekilicious
    Anon said:
    Bingo.  I think he is going to be a BIG hit with new players but not a 4* that 5* players will use unless required.
    He will probably tank all his colors on my roster (4*, highest lvl 287) during his boost week if champed. Which likely won’t take long, probably the second time he required. Hopefully he is a feeder to make it even worth while. 
  • HoundofShadow
    He feeds Killmonger. What's the link?