Daredevil217's 5* Character Ranking and Analysis (Updated 2/14/2021)

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    I’m not at all sure Onslaught would have gotten the play he did if X wasn’t boosted alongside him. Also Panther boosted without Thano5
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,803 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first thought was Black Panther.  He's pretty awful without Thanos.  Onslaught is ok without PX, but not great.  I think those are the only ones though, can anybody think of anyone else?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2021
    Ghost Rider and Archangel got more play than they’ve ever gotten, but I don’t know if that was to do with their partners. I think maybe this current week Lumbercap is getting more play than usual with BRB; I don’t think I’d be using mine were that not the case.
  • entrailbucket
    Part of Killmonger being so good in his week was that he was boosted for the America Chavez event, but even after that event he was still pretty good!
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Two surprise (for me) stand alone boosted 5* that were helpful have been Havok and Electro.  Havok can help finish off an opposing team that all have medium health left. Electros green can hit pretty hard boosted and with someone like 5W or Okoye, it can get big hits for three turns.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    How are you getting big hits with Scarlet Witch?
  • Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    How are you getting big hits with Scarlet Witch?
    SWitches purple makes it have big hits
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I guess "big" is relative. Even with 30ap in the bank I don't notice it. but casting her Blue on someone does make a difference.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    People use 5Witch Purple to boost? I just use it as a battery. The boost seems negligible to me tbh.
  • Djbob101
    Djbob101 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Odin and Ultron are very meh while Shang Chi is very good. I prefer Ultron compare to Odin tho. Also Shang Chi in the AI's hands just sucks. Disappointed wit Ultron, his red should do way more damage and his blue is nothing more than a cute little mechanic what does almost nothing. Shang Chi is a positive at least. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Anon said:
    People use 5Witch Purple to boost? I just use it as a battery. The boost seems negligible to me tbh.
    It can take col5 black to 40k+ it is not negligible. It makes a big difference on heavy hits.

I do too use her as a battery but sometimes you have to hold off and it can turn into crushing damage for some characters.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    dianetics said:
    Anon said:
    It can take col5 black to 40k+ it is not negligible. It makes a big difference on heavy hits.

I do too use her as a battery but sometimes you have to hold off and it can turn into crushing damage for some characters.
    Well, sure, but in the time you were hoarding ap to boost it up that high, you could've set her Purple to Black and fired off several Colossus Blacks and gotten significantly more damage.
  • dianetics
    edited October 2021
    Anon said:
    Well, sure, but in the time you were hoarding ap to boost it up that high, you could've set her Purple to Black and fired off several Colossus Blacks and gotten significantly more damage.
    Yeah I misunderstood. I set it to black and then I normally I save around 12-18 black ap so I can do a couple big hits on certain characters right away. I rarely save past 18 though because it takes too long.
    So, that first hit will do around 35k and you can take characters down in a single turn.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    compare that to 30 team up AP in the bank with Okoye though for why it is an inferior boost option. 
  • dianetics
    Okoye's is great no doubt. I don't have her so I can't really use it. But it's like what, a 40k damage increase full cover at level 450 with 30ap?
    SW gives 150% increased damage at 30ap + 55% from her blue if you use it as well. Total increase 205%.
    So skills that do 20k or more its the same or better?
    I don't have enough covers for her to meaningfully test it myself.
  • entrailbucket
    edited October 2021
    SW is indeed the best at boosting big single-target damage powers.  But there aren't many good powers that do more than 20k damage in one hit.  Most of them are really expensive, and stuck on older, bad characters.

But there are a ton of low-damage passives and cheap multi hit/AoE powers to boost.  People generally use the power boosters with stuff like that, because it's much more efficient.

Consider something like Sabertooth red -- it costs 6 and hits 4x for 4,000 damage each.  The total damage is 16,000.  At max boost using the numbers you cited, SW can increase the total damage to about 32,000, which is ok.  But Okoye would boost that to 176,000, which is... nuts.
  • dianetics
    Yeah you are right on that for sure I think the only good single damage toon that benefits from it in a practical manner is D5adpool.
    I'm not discounting okoye at all she is still the clear best to take in any pick two.
    I was just trying to point out that her boost isn't bad.
    For mullti-hit and low damage powers okoye is still king.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I don't want to discount Wanda either overall, she is a great character for sure, it's just that her power boost is maybe the 3rd or 4th reason for me to bring her to a fight.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't want to discount Wanda either overall, she is a great character for sure, it's just that her power boost is maybe the 3rd or 4th reason for me to bring her to a fight.
    I honestly forget her power boost even exists.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The thing with Wanda is to play her with Apocalypse -- his yellow boost and her purple seem to work together, and his yellow makes her green hit with much more muscle. On offense they're incredible together, Not so much on defense, though, especially against a mirror team as Apoc's red and black both accumulate charges on 5W's green passive tile (much as iHulk accumulates them).
This discussion has been closed.