MPQ Pride Month Events (6/1-7/1)

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited June 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
Celebrate Pride with MPQ! Log in all month long for a FREE gift and play in themed events for more rewards!

Login Gift - 6/1 - 6/30

• 400 Northstar Shards

UI Updates - 5/31 - 7/5

• Various LGBTQ+ Heroes on Recruit Heroes button

Events

• 6/01 Iceman (All New) Versus
  • 6/03 Black Cat Versus
  • 6/08 Valkyrie Versus
  • 6/13 Negasonic Teenage Warhead Versus
  • 6/15 Wiccan Versus
  • 6/17 Northstar Versus
  • 6/22 Daken (Classic) Versus
  • 6/24 Mystique Versus
  • 6/27 Karolina Dean Versus
  • 7/01 America Chavez Versus

(Additional) Buffed Characters

• 6/03-6/09 Iceman (Bobby Drake), Wiccan, America Chavez, Daken (Classic)
  • 6/10-6/16 Karolina Dean, Nico Minoru, Mystique
  • 6/17-6/23 Negasonic Teenage Warhead, Iceman (All New), Black Cat, Psylocke
  • 6/24-6/30 Daken (Samurai), Northstar, Valkyrie

IceIX Minor Edit: Noted that the buffed characters are in addition to the normal weekly buffs

Comments

• SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2021
    Yes!  Thank you for the buffed list.  @IceIX   Is it possible to get the full normal weekly buffed list as well?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now thats really interesting.  Ice is not so classic as the others 3 buffeds and he will be my first one to take advantage. Funny!
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    @IceIX
    I get we can't yet see release events starting on June 6th and 20th.
    But is there a special reason there's no June 10th event listed either? (other than the usual :) )
  • SaltnPeppa
    SaltnPeppa Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Kolence said:
    @IceIX
    I get we can't yet see release events starting on June 6th and 20th.
    But is there a special reason there's no June 10th event listed either? (other than the usual :) )

It's Loki release week on Disney+, I think we'll get some special stuff going on
  • MackDan1
    MackDan1 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    We just had 3* Daken pvp in last season. Can you swap him with Wolfsbane or Maria Hill?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't know either of those two were LGTBQ+. I would love a Wolfsbane PvP! It won't happen but she is such a fun 4*. Maria also much more exciting than Daken.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2021
    Wait, another Daken PvP? Eh. We just had him like 2 weeks ago. Can't say I'm happy about having him again. Everyone will be teaming him up with Polaris again.

Are all of those heroes LGBT ones? Like, even the 5* version of Daken? Or Black Cat? I thought she dated Spidey once. Hmmm.
  • Daniel2121
    edited June 2021
    Scammy said:
    Are all of those heroes LGBT ones? Like, even the 5* version of Daken? Or Black Cat? I thought she dated Spidey once. Hmmm.
    You do know what the B in LGBT stands for, right?
    Honest question. Only partially roasting you.
    I see you are well versed at trolling. That the main/prime verse version of a character is "B" in this case, doesn't necessarily mean that an alternate version of that character also is.

Go roast yourself pls. You chose the wrong guy to pick a fight with.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    I didn't know either of those two were LGTBQ+. I would love a Wolfsbane PvP! It won't happen but she is such a fun 4*. Maria also much more exciting than Daken.
    I don't think Wolfsbane is LGBTQ+ in the comics, but she definitely is in the New Mutants movie.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now we are 3 who didnt know those characters were lgtb. Luckily I didnt get roasted, I guess.
    Or perhaps for not knowing it some people will roast you too.
  • Daniel2121
    edited June 2021
    Scammy said:
    Scammy said:
    I see you are well versed at trolling. That the main/prime verse version of a character is "B" in this case, doesn't necessarily mean that an alternate version of that character also is.

Sorry, wasn't quite sure if you were just having a brain-lapse or if you had a genuine lack of understanding. In the case of the former it was meant as some light ribbing, and in the case of the later it was an offer to clear things up.

Since things still aren't clear, I'll just explain to be safe at the risk of sounding condescending.  "B" stands for bisexual, meaning someone who experiences both heterosexual and homosexual attraction. Black Cat dating Peter Parker in no way disqualifies her as being LGBT. She also dated a woman named Tamara Blake.

The question about Daken is a valid one and wasn't what I roasting you about, but since this version is unique to MPQ, I'll let you decide if you think his inclusion on the list counts as official confirmation or not.
    I see Black Cat dating Spidey doesn't mean she was being straight, only closeted. Maybe.

But as far as I understand the 5* Daken is not the same as the 3* Daken who's known for being bisexual. The 5* Daken killed Logan and was magically sent back to feudal Japan where he is now a ronin going by the codename of Wolverine to atone for Logan's murder.

Also I feel I should point out that at least a few of these chars were straight-then-retconned-into-being-gay, or at least Iceman was. Probably Felicia as well? These **** retcons seem to strike without warning though.
  • MegaBee
    Scammy said:
    Scammy said:

Sorry, wasn't quite sure if you were just having a brain-lapse or if you had a genuine lack of understanding. In the case of the former it was meant as some light ribbing, and in the case of the later it was an offer to clear things up.

Since things still aren't clear, I'll just explain to be safe at the risk of sounding condescending.  "B" stands for bisexual, meaning someone who experiences both heterosexual and homosexual attraction. Black Cat dating Peter Parker in no way disqualifies her as being LGBT. She also dated a woman named Tamara Blake.

The question about Daken is a valid one and wasn't what I roasting you about, but since this version is unique to MPQ, I'll let you decide if you think his inclusion on the list counts as official confirmation or not.
    I see Black Cat dating Spidey doesn't mean she was being straight, only closeted.

But as far as I understand the 5* Daken is not the same as the 3* Daken who's known for being bisexual. The 5* Daken killed Logan and was magically sent back to feudal Japan where he is now a ronin going by the codename of Wolverine to atone for Logan's murder.

Also I feel I should point out that at least a few of these chars were straight-then-retconned-into-being-gay, or at least Iceman was.
    Black Cat dating Spidey doesn't even make her closeted, because that's perfectly in line with being bisexual.

Now, the people who were retconned into being gay? Saying they were closeted works for them.
  • Daniel2121
    edited June 2021
    I think it counts as a retcon if the character wasn't conceived as being LGBT since its inception.

So from that point of view it's still unclear if Black Cat was effectively (conceived as) bisexual or not, because it's not a thing until it's declared so (and that happens with people irl as well). That she was effectively in a relationship with Parker doesn't say whether she is bisexual or not. It doesn't deny her bisexuality but doesn't confirm it either.
  • MegaBee
    I think it counts as a retcon if the character wasn't conceived as being LGBT since its inception.

So from that point of view it's still unclear if Black Cat was effectively (conceived as) bisexual or not, because it's not a thing until it's declared so (and that happens with people irl as well). That she was effectively in a relationship with Parker doesn't say whether she is bisexual or not. It doesn't deny her bisexuality but doesn't confirm it either.
    Oh, it's definitely a retcon. I'm not denying that. What I'm saying that saying that they were closeted fits right in with the retcon. That's actually what they did with Iceman.

That said, I'm very confident that no long-term Marvel or DC character was conceived as any sort of LGBTQ+ before the late 80s, but that shouldn't stop folks from using retcons to increase representation. People want to see people like them in their entertainment media.
  • Scammy
    Scammy Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Would you consider Mystique's bisexuality and gender fluidity to be a retcon? Her creator is on record as having originally intended her and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's biological parents, but Marvel editorial at the time prevented that from becoming canon. So for decades she passed as straight.
  • MegaBee
    Scammy said:
    Would you consider Mystique's bisexuality and gender fluidity to be a retcon? Her creator is on record as having originally intended her and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's biological parents, but Marvel editorial at the time prevented that from becoming canon. So for decades she passed as straight.
    Marvel editorial did similar with Northstar.
  • Daniel2121
    Wasn't Azazel Nightcrawler's dad?