Which was your least favourite/ most hated meta team?

Options
atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
I have been playing MPQ for around 7 years and I have been through many meta. The 2ap moves which you can spam infinite moves, sentry-bombing, etc etc. 

So I was curious about people’s experience with the different meta. Which one irks you the most? Which one you hated to the core of your being?

I only kept the options to those meta teams after 5* were released. But if you feel strongly against unlisted teams, there is an “others” option. 
If you could also put in your post and share why you hate the meta team, that would be great too. 

Which was your least favourite/ most hated meta team? 82 votes

OML + Phoenix jean grey
0%
Panthos (5* Black Panther + 5* Thanos)
0%
Gambit 1.0 (pre-nerf)
9%
TaganovGrimSkaldKoorogi_859Warbringaammenellstef_focuskk3thessskittledaddy 8 votes
Thorokoye (5* Thor + Okoye)
1%
Pantera236 1 vote
Gritty (4*Groot + Kitty)
2%
GumisKStillMonsoon3 2 votes
Bishop
41%
PuceMoosePolaresWonko33xKOBALTxatomzedPunter1abmorazfrachrLoosieChipster22tonypqMoosePrimeDaredevil217KrossJackDeath666CharlieCrokerDjinnBabbaRod5Anoncrackninja 34 votes
HammerBros (4* Capt America + 5* Hawkeye)
9%
freakygeekYasuruBlackBoltRocksAlfje17RosrafBobdvolBriMan2222Beefhammer69 8 votes
Britty (Beta-Ray Bill + Kitty)
7%
SnowcaTTTiggidaTheXManPtahhotepMTPMichael1957 6 votes
Hulkoye (5* Immortal Hulk + Okoye)
25%
akboyceKolenceHoutroiamxzodivounewinter37Bruinsfan17JHawkIncJRYUARTAmsha3garturbomooseBoyWonder1914BorstockDAZ0273MiNiMooMooh3dbngrSithforeverMrcl25MayoTimemachinego 21 votes
Others:
2%
Phumadeacescracked 2 votes

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulkoye. And it isn't close. Especially now that there are so many 550 Okoyes out there.
    Of these, Hammerbros was the only other meta I actively disliked. I enjoyed all the others.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I started playing around the Gambit era. I'm a baby champed 5* player now. So, I would say Gambit with 0/0/5 build teaming up with SpiderGwen is the bomb. iHulkoye would eat them as snack if they are still around though.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hulkoye is tough and think I’ve only beaten it once , so I avoid it now 

cap and Hawkeye was impossible to beat when added to bishop 

thankfully that’s gone now 

hulkoye is hard to beat, even with your own matching team 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,628 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bishop was broken to 5* players but he wasn't particularly a huge problem otherwise.

Hulkoye is broken at all levels of player tier and literally just needs a team-up boost to start the murder.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hulk is chaotic. If the matches are like sword fights, the other teams listed were experts in a certain way of sword fighting. But fighting Hulk feels like jumping into a blender and hoping for the best. I hate him the most because he's so wildly inconsistent, and it is hard to reasonably measure whether you've got a fair chance at winning the match or not. I don't mind gambling and losing, even against some of the other meta teams in their heyday. But gambling against picking a fight with Hulk feels like having to do it without being informed of the odds. No fun.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bishop
    But in terms of comic-lore, that's a pretty accurate description of Hulk, no? 

I am the opposite; despite my dissatisfaction with the overabundance of iHulk/Okoye teams, I find this meta more interesting than the Okoye/Thor meta. The reason is that there's still a sense of risk when taking on iHulk/Okoye teams (and BRB teams as well to perhaps a lesser extent) which keeps the matches exciting. During the Okoye/Thor meta, it was pretty much a given your team would win barring a really bad cascade. 

And it's not as if there isn't a certain strategy involved when dealing with iHulk/Okoye teams. You have to consider the board and determine whether it's more worthwhile to chase TUs, chase red or chase yellow or deny the enemy team green. Although admittedly as you have noted, there's a lot more luck involved iHulk/Okoye matches. 

With that said, there definitely should be counter mechanics available to help mitigate the risk. Just as Black Suit Spider-man basically shuts down Kitty/Grocket, there should be characters to help keep in check boost mechanics and passive offensive abilities. I would very much like to see The Leader be used as a hard counter to iHulk and feel Killmonger was an unfortunate missed opportunity to hard counter Okoye.
    I agree with F4TD views. Strangely I am actually satisfied with the current meta. While Hulkoye is the most prevalent “floating” team, there are actually a number of viable teams. 

Britty > Hulkoye (getting enough defence tiles will negate Hulkoye Aoe)

Onslaught-PX ~~ Hulkoye (onslaught removes all the TU so that Okoye cannot boost Hulk AOE)

I actually feel that the crux of the problem is that Hulkoye is too annoying (unpredictable fights plus require health packs), people tend t skip them. And because they are skipped, people running these teams can float more. As they float more, they are more prevalent in everyone queues. 
    This problem is actually a reflection of the shield and match-making system. When Britty was the meta, it also felt oppressive because each game take so long.... so people avoided them, which makes them an effective floating team. 
    If we nerf Hulkoye, what will happen? There will be some teams that is more effective as deference.... which will make it the new meta. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,915 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bishop
    JHawkInc said:
    Hulk is chaotic. If the matches are like sword fights, the other teams listed were experts in a certain way of sword fighting. But fighting Hulk feels like jumping into a blender and hoping for the best. I hate him the most because he's so wildly inconsistent, and it is hard to reasonably measure whether you've got a fair chance at winning the match or not. I don't mind gambling and losing, even against some of the other meta teams in their heyday. But gambling against picking a fight with Hulk feels like having to do it without being informed of the odds. No fun.

I am the opposite; despite my dissatisfaction with the overabundance of iHulk/Okoye teams, I find this meta more interesting than the Okoye/Thor meta. The reason is that there's still a sense of risk when taking on iHulk/Okoye teams (and BRB teams as well to perhaps a lesser extent) which keeps the matches exciting. During the Okoye/Thor meta, it was pretty much a given your team would win barring a really bad cascade. 
    Re: your first paragraph, I thought the same thing about their description of fighting hulk lol.

As for your second paragraph I strongly disagree. Thorkoye was probably my favorite meta. I have I believe 50 5* champs right now and loved that I could use pretty much all of them, mix and match, find fun combos and synergies. Now, if I want to fight Hulkoye it’s mirror or BRBitty. Maybe a few others, but no way I can bring Rescue or Gambit, or Goblin, or whoever to that fight. Maybe it’s my fault as a “chase em all” that I’d actually like to use these characters that I work so hard for. 

Though we both agree that counters are the answer.  If it’s a risk to play Hulkoye, then we’ll probably queue more variety which will allow for a greater variety of teams to be played as counters.  
    atomzed said:

And it's not as if there isn't a certain strategy involved when dealing with iHulk/Okoye teams. You have to consider the board and determine whether it's more worthwhile to chase TUs, chase red or chase yellow or deny the enemy team green. Although admittedly as you have noted, there's a lot more luck involved iHulk/Okoye matches. 

With that said, there definitely should be counter mechanics available to help mitigate the risk. Just as Black Suit Spider-man basically shuts down Kitty/Grocket, there should be characters to help keep in check boost mechanics and passive offensive abilities. I would very much like to see The Leader be used as a hard counter to iHulk and feel Killmonger was an unfortunate missed opportunity to hard counter Okoye.
    I agree with F4TD views. Strangely I am actually satisfied with the current meta. While Hulkoye is the most prevalent “floating” team, there are actually a number of viable teams. 

Britty > Hulkoye (getting enough defence tiles will negate Hulkoye Aoe)

Onslaught-PX ~~ Hulkoye (onslaught removes all the TU so that Okoye cannot boost Hulk AOE)

I actually feel that the crux of the problem is that Hulkoye is too annoying (unpredictable fights plus require health packs), people tend t skip them. And because they are skipped, people running these teams can float more. As they float more, they are more prevalent in everyone queues. 
    This problem is actually a reflection of the shield and match-making system. When Britty was the meta, it also felt oppressive because each game take so long.... so people avoided them, which makes them an effective floating team. 
    If we nerf Hulkoye, what will happen? There will be some teams that is more effective as deference.... which will make it the new meta. 
    I would hit those teams. I could play some variety against them, and yes it was slow, but if I wanted to win fast that option was there as well in the form of ThorPoc. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JHawkInc said:

I agree in theory.

First, something being lore accurate loses it's novelty when it's something you see multiple days a week for a year, the novelty wears off. If Immortal Hulk were a boss character, or had his own PVE event, or if there were some ingenious way to have him not be meta every week, it might not be so bad. But the things that make him interesting become taxing over the long term, and this entire game is about enduring the long term.

Second, my problem isn't the risk, it's the gamble. He's too... "swingy." I like having some risk. BRB/Kitty still imposes risk, but it's one you can mitigate and prepare for. I feel like Hulk is a disaster waiting to happen, because you can prepare all you like and still fall flat on your face. It feels less like a challenge to overcome, and more like a challenge designed to mess you up. The reality is that, of all the meta teams above, Hulk/Okoye is the only one that has pushed me over the line where the preferable option is to quit playing.

You're right that it would be less of an issue if there were more counter options. The AoE nature of Hulk makes it a huge gamble to try and pick a 4-star character to help build a counter team, which isn't helpful. I would definitely be down for The Leader as an option. There are others you could pick (Maestro, Abomination, maybe Absorbing Man?), but The Leader is the most interesting of the lot (not just another beatstick to go toe-to-toe with Hulk). Maybe we'll get one next summer sometime? One can only hope.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would have voted Gambit if I didn't have Gambit: the meta was Gambit or Go Home. Much worse than current.

Thorkoye was 'fine', any level could beat any level. It was getting to hulkoye levels of stupid though, almost everyone running it.

Until BRB, and that's the one I voted for. You can't stop BRB from going on long, and sometimes it just drags on forever. I put BRB/Kitty here: 4*'s were a pain but you know what stopped them? iHulk (+thanos sometimes).

BRB/Carnage is the true forever/annoying team, but BRB/old Bish BRB/Polaris, BRB/Kitty, BRB(whatever)....until BRB fix, he'll be just like Okoye - something else will come along to show how much of a problem character he is. Okoye you can play around, that BRB blue you just can't.
  • Daredevil217
    Options
    Bishop
    SnowcaTT said:
    I would have voted Gambit if I didn't have Gambit: the meta was Gambit or Go Home. Much worse than current.

Thorkoye was 'fine', any level could beat any level. It was getting to hulkoye levels of stupid though, almost everyone running it.

Until BRB, and that's the one I voted for. You can't stop BRB from going on long, and sometimes it just drags on forever. I put BRB/Kitty here: 4*'s were a pain but you know what stopped them? iHulk (+thanos sometimes).

BRB/Carnage is the true forever/annoying team, but BRB/old Bish BRB/Polaris, BRB/Kitty, BRB(whatever)....until BRB fix, he'll be just like Okoye - something else will come along to show how much of a problem character he is. Okoye you can play around, that BRB blue you just can't.
    Do you not have any of the many characters that punch through or steal protect tiles?

I figure if Bill were as bad as you say, we’d see him everywhere, but that’s just not the case. I get one or two while  skipping in the sea of endless Hulkoye, which to me says something.

Un-nerfed (the meta passed them by): Panthos, Thorkoye, Gritty, BRBitty

Nerfed (devs stepped in and the meta changed as a result): OML/Jean*, Gambit, Hammer Bros., Bishop

Too soon to tell (i.e. still the current meta): Hulkoye

*I’ve heard people say that by the time the developers intervened, the meta already passed OML by. So I guess he could fit both categories. 
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Do you not have any of the many characters that punch through or steal protect tiles?

I figure if Bill were as bad as you say, we’d see him everywhere, but that’s just not the case. I get one or two while  skipping in the sea of endless Hulkoye, which to me says something.

Yes I have the punch-through protect tile characters....they take time to get that AP, by which time BRB is 'set'

I ask BRB players often on [some outside-game communication place] and you know what they tell me? They never lose. Matches may take a long, long time - but they have a higher win percentage than maybe any other team out there.

You know what I see when they play against me? They are right.

I think there are different 'tiers' of MMR/competition - and at 450 (everything champed and stopped) Hulkoye is probably easiest to get/use at thirteen, BRB hasn't been in many vaults. Also: the speed thing. If there was some way to speed that up, I'm sure we'd see more copies of BRB/[Carnage but whatever] seeing play. Hulkoye is fast (as thorkoye was before it....what is the common thread?) - and speed is what 'wins' in PVP as well as PVE.

BRB is one of those (like Okoye but unlike Hulk) that benefits a TON from more levels - because more health means longer to stick around means longer to create other problems. So while you don't see many 450 BRB's anymore (all those 450 hulks will kill it eventually) - you (well, I) do see a fair number of 500+ BRB's - they survive the small hulk, and they crush basically any level hulkoye.

I -also- secretly suspect all these 'nerf hulkoye' threads are driven by BRB players...who, at long last, actually have to spend healthpacks. THE HORROR. It puts "please nerf okoye" into perspective when you think that it's the second best character that would benefit....

• Daredevil217
    Options
    Bishop
    That’s helpful, thanks. I do queue a lot of 500+ Okoyes, but like I said, not many BRB. If they never lose on offense, and you can’t beat them on defense, I just assumed they’d be the prominent meta team. Speed is easily trumped by a team that cannot lose and just collects blues on defense.  They can just sit and float forever. So if you are saying once you pass the 500+ MMR it’s all BRBitty, and it’s no longer Hulkoye; it’d make sense why our experiences are so different. The mean of my 5* champs is probably 455-460 range. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HammerBros (4* Capt America + 5* Hawkeye)
    The only reason I didn't choose Bishop, is because I only played one fight against him pre-nerf. I avoided him after that, so kept fighting Hammer Cap teams instead.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gambit 1.0 (pre-nerf)
    Gambit was the one that stuck out to me. All the others I thought were generally manageable.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Lol everyone hating on Bishop 🤔
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm in the camp of they should not have nerfed him, especially since they had just released his counter. Sure it also included Bishop but him and Apoc could take on any team. Whether they had Bishop, it was Hulkoye, Britty, you name it I could take them down... with ease.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just came back to the game, and holy ****. I see Bishop has been nerfed to the point of not even being a threat, and I've even managed to beat a few Britty-Polaris Teams with Kitty/Iceman/Medusa. 

I on the other hand have no defense for a character that is passively smacking my team for 10K every turn, and even when I kill him, he just gets back up and does the same thing. I won't say he feels worse than Gambit 1.0 because I wasn't in 5-land yet at the time, but this certainly feels as impossible to beat as anything I've seen in my time playing the game. Perhaps I just need to get my roster more up to snuff and there's good counters out there for him, but I certainly don't have them now.