PVP defense team - how to check the current setup

Options
2»

Comments

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hstpctech said:
    It would be great if D3 puts a magic button to set up defense teams like what they did with Marvel Avenger Alliance.
    This. This is one of the changes to the game I was calling for way back in the day to allow for more variance. It would be a game changer and I personally think for the better.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hstpctech said:

One thing I am still confused of, what is queueing and how do we do that?

Queueing is simply when you go to a node and see what is available.  You can, of course, skip them and begin to see different teams.  Whatever team you queued is saved there for as long as you want.  

If you are hit in an un-shielded state, a retal node will overwrite one of your saved queues.  So, if you don't shield, you can't really effectively queue someone for later as it's very likely you'll be taking hits and the multiple retal nodes will overwrite your queues you had left on the nodes.  If you are shielded when you are hit (when the win goes through against your team) then you cannot retal them directly (bad) but you also won't have your queues overwritten (good).

When people climb and hop, one crucial element is saving queues for later to hit during a hop.  Sometimes you can queue a climbing team (less effective on defense, better on offense) and wait for the player to stop climbing (shield) and execute a quick match.

The match's point value is determined by where the player is at the time you win the match, not where they were when you queued them.  This can be good or bad.....
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glockoma said:
    hstpctech said:
    It would be great if D3 puts a magic button to set up defense teams like what they did with Marvel Avenger Alliance.
    This. This is one of the changes to the game I was calling for way back in the day to allow for more variance. It would be a game changer and I personally think for the better.
    I don't think this would allow more variance at all, I think as KGB pointed out it would just lead to more people setting up their strongest/most annoying team.  Right now when I climb I can see a good amount of variety until a certain point when all I see is Hulkoye, Brbitty, or the ocassional BRBishop.  If people set their defense team separately from their offence I think I would see nothing but those teams from the very beginning.  No thank you.
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Glockoma said:
    hstpctech said:
    I don't think this would allow more variance at all, I think as KGB pointed out it would just lead to more people setting up their strongest/most annoying team.  Right now when I climb I can see a good amount of variety until a certain point when all I see is Hulkoye, Brbitty, or the ocassional BRBishop.  If people set their defense team separately from their offence I think I would see nothing but those teams from the very beginning.  No thank you.
    Yeah, good point; climbing would be terrible. It would be nice to have full control, but there isn’t enough differential in the meta to allow for that. I don’t want to digress, but man would it be nice to get some rebalancing of characters again.
  • hstpctech
    hstpctech Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    You've got the point there, but surely an ability to show current defensive team won't be abused, or will it?
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Joining a pvp should have you pick 3 defense teams that will randomly be chosen when queued up.

Right now is it really just the last 3 strongest characters you played? I find that hard to believe or I'd see way more variance in teams.  Unless 90 percent of the climbing players always use meta the entire climb up.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Joining a pvp should have you pick 3 defense teams that will randomly be chosen when queued up.

Right now is it really just the last 3 strongest characters you played? I find that hard to believe or I'd see way more variance in teams.  Unless 90 percent of the climbing players always use meta the entire climb up.

I mean, they do.

If you use random/non meta teams in your climb, then you run some risk of other players saving your queue with a weak team and hitting you later.  Also in general, people just don't like hits in PVP (except for those chasing wins, or maybe people looking to suppress points, although it's probably better to retreat using weak teams in that case vs winning with non-meta teams as far as your hits/results).  Most players prefer most of their point changes to be positive gains.  All that adds up to many strong incentives to run meta teams all or most of the time.

Nothing will absolutely stop hits, especially once you have enough points, but running random teams for fun is a good way to get people hitting you.

It all depends on your goals.  If you are going to hop, or are just hoping to maximize your ability to float, running the meta all the way up is the way to go.  Chasing wins?  Less important who are you using.  Or if you don't care much about your final score/placement past a certain low goal.

I used to run Thorkoye in climbs all the way until about a month-ish ago.  I don't know how that impacted people hitting me exactly but I feel like now that I run Hulkoye for the majority of the climb, I get a few less hits.

That, or people are increasingly getting tired of PVP, as not having meta teams is more than ever equal to wearing a big target.  Anyway, people have always taken the tactic of mostly running meta teams.