Legion is the new 4 for June

Options
2»

Comments

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mr_F said:
    And yet another, IMO, character that is pointless from MPQ logic point of view. Or almost any other point of view. Man I just hate to get another version of existing characters (like iHulk who also for me is a trash character despite the combo with Okoye), character who so big villains than they deserve to be Alliance PVE Bosses only (Apocalypse and Onslaught) or characters who has like near 0% potential for teaming up with anybody (Apocalypse, Onslaught and Legion). At least not before still so many major character on the list to be in the game. Like Wrecking Crew, Red Skull, Baron Zemo, Enchantress... and the list continous.

Who comes up with the idea to bring as playable character Legion or Onslaught? I know that the PVE/PVP does not limits us with a champion pool (so we can bring Dark Avengers into a PVE when heroes fight against Dark Avengers or mop floors with Venom/Carnage/Spider-Man team up or Kingpin/Punisher/Daredevil) but I can not image a situation like this ending with answer "yes":

"Professor, Magneto. We are going on mission and we need a help of Onslaught. Can ya bring him?" or "Hi David. Can you help us to deal with situation x?".

Not excited.
    I wouldn't consider Legion to be a major character in comics (a powerful one, yes), but there has been a 3 season television show starring Haller. I'd think of him as a character to add in MPQ before Wrecking Crew. But that's the thing; everyone has characters they like and don't like and they don't all line up.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Omegased said:
    Duck this game. I quit.  
    Because of a new character? when they've been releasing a new character ever 2 weeks for... years?

No. I’m quitting because this is the last straw. I’m quitting because they’re disrespecting the hell out of one of the most powerful mutants ever. 
    At first I agreed with this,  initially it seemed crazy that legion would only be a 4 star, but then I read the description on the official legion post that was just shared. 

"David Haller's mind is home to over 200 different personas, each with their own incredible mutant power. As the son of Professor Charles Xavier, David has the POTENTIAL to be the most powerful mutant the world has ever seen. To do so, he must LEARN to conquer his inner demons, quell the chaos within his mind, and finally embrace his father's legacy."  

I highlighted potential and learn because from this description it sounds like this version of legion is a younger version who is still learning to control his powers and has not reached his full potential.  So it makes sense from a canon stand point why a legion that can't control his powers is a 4 star,  and perhaps an older version of legion that has reached his full potential will still be a 5 star. 

Just like how ice man younger version is a 4 star but his older more powerful version is a 5, same as teen Jean and Phoenix. 

• furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Omegased said:
    Duck this game. I quit.  
    Because of a new character? when they've been releasing a new character ever 2 weeks for... years?

No. I’m quitting because this is the last straw. I’m quitting because they’re disrespecting the hell out of one of the most powerful mutants ever. 
    At first I agreed with this,  initially it seemed crazy that legion would only be a 4 star, but then I read the description on the official legion post that was just shared. 

"David Haller's mind is home to over 200 different personas, each with their own incredible mutant power. As the son of Professor Charles Xavier, David has the POTENTIAL to be the most powerful mutant the world has ever seen. To do so, he must LEARN to conquer his inner demons, quell the chaos within his mind, and finally embrace his father's legacy."  

I highlighted potential and learn because from this description it sounds like this version of legion is a younger version who is still learning to control his powers and has not reached his full potential.  So it makes sense from a canon stand point why a legion that can't control his powers is a 4 star,  and perhaps an older version of legion that has reached his full potential will still be a 5 star. 

Just like how ice man younger version is a 4 star but his older more powerful version is a 5, same as teen Jean and Phoenix. 

While I see your point, the chances of us getting a 5* Legion is now incredibly slim. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What's next Franklin Richards as a 4 star??? 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What's next Franklin Richards as a 4 star??? 
    My moneys on Galactus or Beyonder maybe even Ego
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

While I see your point, the chances of us getting a 5* Legion is now incredibly slim. 
    That may be true. But the advantage of releasing him as a 4* instead of a 5* is that WAY more players will be able to cover and use him. It makes sense to release popular known characters as 4* rather than 5* because it's frustrating for newer rosters to see characters they like and know they are years from being able to cover/use them.

Then they can release a 5* version in another year or so who can be meta.

KGB

• RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    Perhaps Jessica Jones has evidence which supports Legion being a 4 star...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Legion might have the potential to be a 5* power wise but his legacy from the comic books is pretty small. But, I hear you say, he had a TV show! This is true but you know what - Blade had 3 movies and a TV show and that wasn't enough to get him 5* status.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they made the Beyonder he’d be a 5* or even a 6, comic-lore-wise. 

But they have barely mentioned him in a comic book since Secret Wars II ended. 

So he might be a 4, if they ever made him. 🤔
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Legion might have the potential to be a 5* power wise but his legacy from the comic books is pretty small. But, I hear you say, he had a TV show! This is true but you know what - Blade had 3 movies and a TV show and that wasn't enough to get him 5* status.
    Hot take: seeing as how we are scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of these releases, if Blade wasn’t already in the game and was released today, I think there’s a good shot he’d be a 5. Just like if Havok was released back when Blade debuted, he’d probably be a 4. 

I think the star level of a character has way more to do with popularity than power (thank you Netflix for making DD more mainstream!)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Hot take: seeing as how we are scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of these releases, if Blade wasn’t already in the game and was released today, I think there’s a good shot he’d be a 5. Just like if Havok was released back when Blade debuted, he’d probably be a 4. 

I think the star level of a character has way more to do with popularity than power (thank you Netflix for making DD more mainstream!)

I agree 100%. There is every chance we might get a 5* Black Knight. As a fan of the Roger Stern Avengers run, I would be super happy with this (5* Hercules and Monica Rambeau too!) but these guys are nobodies in modern context and only worth as much as the movie or TV show they might appear in.
  • ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 648 Critical Contributor
    Options
    took me a while but I only today realised that trying to keep up with the 4 star releases is pointless, once you have R&G, juggs, gamora and bishop, Everyone else doesn’t get used. I’m gonna keep these 4 and maybe vulture and capt marvel and jump to 5 star land. The “gotta catch em all” sort of attitude has completely gone.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    took me a while but I only today realised that trying to keep up with the 4 star releases is pointless, once you have R&G, juggs, gamora and bishop, Everyone else doesn’t get used. I’m gonna keep these 4 and maybe vulture and capt marvel and jump to 5 star land. The “gotta catch em all” sort of attitude has completely gone.
     Coulson, karnak, worthy, and 2099 are also in the meta mix.

Medusa, Peggy, carol, blade, vulture and maybe a few others are worth having too, as they are extremely strong and might vault to meta status if the right 5* partner emerges.

Edit: America is definitely also worth keeping.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Medusa, Peggy, carol, blade, vulture and maybe a few others are worth having too, as they are extremely strong and might vault to meta status if the right 5* partner emerges.
    I never believed in catch them all , my total roster caps at 100. All 5’s is a given , 25 4*, 20 3*.  I’d swap out Coulson for Chavez. All the others not mentioned are useless you never see them used in PvAI, with shards now you can keep them in reserve forever and use them when they make their once a year appearance as a PvE essential. Or with high enough placement you’ll get a free cover for the next PvE anyway . Most people don’t care who the the 3rd wheel is when they’re only using duos like Gritty, Hulkoye, BRBishop or Hammerhawk 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

I never believed in catch them all , my total roster caps at 100. All 5’s is a given , 25 4*, 20 3*.  I’d swap out Coulson for Chavez. All the others not mentioned are useless you never see them used in PvAI, with shards now you can keep them in reserve forever and use them when they make their once a year appearance as a PvE essential. Or with high enough placement you’ll get a free cover for the next PvE anyway . Most people don’t care who the the 3rd wheel is when they’re only using duos like Gritty, Hulkoye, BRBishop or Hammerhawk 
    Even if your don't want to catch 'em all, calling at 100 seems arbitrary.  The cost of slots plateaus up too 300.  And if you have a 100 character roster, you likely play enough to buy one roster slot every two weeks just from regular play (still barely possible even with the nerfed hp flow).

Your 100 strat seems ok for now I guess, but it will only be less efficient as more characters release.

Also, don't dismiss third wheels so quickly.  many of the best teams in the game are threesomes.  Thorkoye is great for pick 2 play.  But thorkoye + 2099 is sublime.  Or gritty + bishop.  And hawkeye/coulson/gamora is arguably the single best challenge node team in the game for those without 550s.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Vulture + iHulk have gotten me through some of the harder CL10 PVE fights when nothing else could.