Events that bleed into monday, please have mercy.....

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
This weekend I realised why I hated AM so much back in the day, and it was even worse then because it wouldnt stop untill she was dead....

Basically an event that runs into monday is an even that won't have it's last charges played by everyone. A lot of us work and can't afford the hour's worth playtime that is needed to play the two sets of charges that are active right now (one openend up in the night (eu time) and the other this morning.

it's 5 nodes. lets say you can round m off quick and including loading time take 5 minutes for each node: that is 50 minutes uninterupted play, during work.....

I like the event, but not the duration or the way the charges are stored and dispersed....

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    More generally, the last charge of any event only being playable within a 6h window is always going to inconvenience some (significant) set of potential players, no matter what the timing of that window is.

Something else to consider: Some veteran players have never experienced a weekend coalition event which does not bleed into Monday.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another solution for AM would be to make it actually possible to kill Avacyn. We were at 50% when the event ended? Give her 30% or 35% of her current start health , and the problem is at least partially solved.
    And it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to implement...
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Giving all the charges at the beginning of the event would solve many problems.

Throwing this out there in hopes the developers will someday consider this improvement.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Throwing this out there in hopes the developers will someday consider this improvement.
    Yuck, no. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    bken1234 said:

Yuck, no. 
    It would be a fair route.  Solving all time zone issues as well as giving everyone the leisure to tackle the event when convenient.

Many players have busy lives, with limited time to devote to this game.

• bk1234
    edited May 2020
    Options
    bken1234 said:

Yuck, no. 
    It would be a fair route.  Solving all time zone issues as well as giving everyone the leisure to tackle the event when convenient.

It’s already been determined as an unpopular route. Keeping up with charges is part of the competitive aspect of the game. You have to log in by a certain time and start and complete your nodes. Many players have said they like this. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    bken1234 said:

Yuck, no. 

It’s already been determined as an unpopular route. Keeping up with charges is part of the competitive aspect of the game. You have to log in by a certain time and start and complete your nodes. Many players have said they like this. 
    I don't know where you're getting that from.  I've seen and heard from lots of players that all charges upfront would be a great route, both outside and in the forums.  It isn't even my original idea, just one that I agreed with that others have presented.

But anyways, agree to disagree I guess.  I don't really want to make a debate out of this.
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Upfront charges is ideal for most people I believe , especially with how time consuming the load times can be. It would help and open up more participation in coalition events as it would take less pressure off people with busy schedules. This one reason I play solo now as I can't find myself logging in periodically over the weekend, also with summer coming up. I can make time one evening with the kids gone to bed, all the chores done, put my feet up and do one session instead of having the game at the back of mind constantly over a sunny weekend.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have definitely seen other people mention that they wouldn't like all charges upfront.  Don't know how to rate the relative popularity for or against that option based on my **** memory, but I can confirm it has been said.

As I've said before, I think compromise on this is key.  Giving events a 12 hour refresh with more charges upfront would leave 10 hours for the final charge and (if done properly) end up with the same number of fights as we get with the 8 hour refresh.  A 10 hour window means there shouldn't be any timezone that gets screwed.  But that's just my humble opinion.
  • LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    I think TCT charges method is a good compromise, as it does not give you all the charges at once, but still gives flexibility.

For me personally, keeping up with charges takes away competitiveness, there is no point being competitive if I know for sure that I am not able to clean up everything, say on Sunday afternoon, and not cleaning up means I am out even top 500.

And if I am not playing competitive, but maybe fast as I can, then I will play with a killer deck and might mess up other competitive people's game cause I don't care about secondary objectives.
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    critman said:
    bken1234 said:

Keeping up with charges is part of the competitive aspect of the game. You have to log in by a certain time and start and complete your nodes. Many players have said they like this. 
    I find this kinda hard to believe, so, if you're a player who agrees with this, please post in this thread so I can see that I'm wrong!

Surely you only get more flexibility from getting all your node charges up front? You can play all your charges straight away if you want to, or you can pretend that you're still bound by the old system and play one charge per node every 8 hours! It sounds like a win win to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sounds like an opportunity for posting a poll... ;)
  • NickBKK
    NickBKK Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Go TCT route and we can all be happy with both game and life! 
  • NickBKK
    NickBKK Posts: 90 Match Maker
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I just got to check HxB recharging and ending time. Final charge at 3am and end time at 9am in my time zone. I know I am not supposed to swear here but you know what... I have enough of this &@#ing inconsiderate B$.  I have been playing this game since the first month it was launched. How much more misery and stress do you wish to add to my life?! Believe it or not, I am a real human being who actually has a life to live too, you know?!?
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    It’s already been determined as an unpopular route.
    I don't believe this statement is correct. "Some players don't like X" does not come anywhere close to proving that X is unpopular.

And a lot of the objections that I've heard in the past to giving out all the charges up front were lodged back when ranking was determined by first-past-the-post, instead of giving out ties. Now that everyone with the same score gets the same prize there's a lot less reason to avoid just handing out the charges up front.

Without first-past-the-post being a factor, saying "I like that part of the competition in this game is willingness to log in at all sorts of random times" is a pretty silly take IMO. If you're serious about competition and proving that you're the best of the best of MTGPQ players it's pretty ridiculous to believe that an important factor in separating the best from the best is A.) where on the globe they happen to live and/or B.) whether or not they are willing/able to wake up at 3am to play some event charges. Sure, having that willingness when other people don't have that willingness may get you better event rewards but it's a lousy way to "earn" those rewards.

Anyways, I hate this game's ridiculousness w/r/t scheduling and event charges, I've always hated it, and frankly it's a miracle I still play this game at all given how long it's stayed awful. I am very heartened to see even small steps (TCT) towards a saner, kinder system, and hope they'll keep moving in that direction.
  • bk1234
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    bken1234 said:
    It’s already been determined as an unpopular route.
    I don't believe this statement is correct. "Some players don't like X" does not come anywhere close to proving that X is unpopular.

And a lot of the objections that I've heard in the past to giving out all the charges up front were lodged back when ranking was determined by first-past-the-post, instead of giving out ties. Now that everyone with the same score gets the same prize there's a lot less reason to avoid just handing out the charges up front.

Without first-past-the-post being a factor, saying "I like that part of the competition in this game is willingness to log in at all sorts of random times" is a pretty silly take IMO. If you're serious about competition and proving that you're the best of the best of MTGPQ players it's pretty ridiculous to believe that an important factor in separating the best from the best is A.) where on the globe they happen to live and/or B.) whether or not they are willing/able to wake up at 3am to play some event charges. Sure, having that willingness when other people don't have that willingness may get you better event rewards but it's a lousy way to "earn" those rewards.

Anyways, I hate this game's ridiculousness w/r/t scheduling and event charges, I've always hated it, and frankly it's a miracle I still play this game at all given how long it's stayed awful. I am very heartened to see even small steps (TCT) towards a saner, kinder system, and hope they'll keep moving in that direction.
    Right now there's over 150 first place ties in one Platinum bracket and more than 90 in the other. Can you imagine how more there would be if all charges were given up front?

For people in that first named bracket, just missing one objective (2 points) disqualifies them for top 150 rewards. 

But this is a good idea?
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There are a lot of better ways to solve the problem of "too many ties". As a problem it really has nothing at all to do with time zones and everything to do with gameplay. Using arbitrary time zone nonsense as bandaid to ameliorate gameplay issues is a textbook example of "two wrongs don't make a right".
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Having perfect scores in events are more of a design flaw than  customer friendly charges. The recent event provides extremely easy objectives and having only 2 objectives doesn't create a variety of scores unless you increase the node count.  It would be simple to create a default objective for all events in matches like winning with only rare, uncommon, and common cards , take no damage or use mono PWs . Give 1 bonus pt.for each match and you'll see a immediate change in the leaderboard. People may argue that it's not fair, it's based on luck..etc , but Greg is a push over and navigating the numerous bugs atm is luck in itself. Having the charges upfront would make everyone's life better with personal scheduling and the "bleed" over to Mondays.
  • mayor
    mayor Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Options
    @Oktagon_Support Marcela, just don't say they are listening again, because at this point it will be considered pure bullying. I give up.