Rework Sentry

As the title says, rework Sentry so he isn't sh!t tier 3*.
ALL of his powers drain his health. ALL OF THEM. But there's more. Two of his powers also deal damage to his team members. One of his powers even ends the turn. Now add Thanos to that and you got a bloodbath health packs draining clown fiesta.

Ideas for possible reworks:
1) His red power doesn't massacres his team
2) His green power makes 2-turn countdown tiles instead of 3-turn countdown tiles and probably deal less damage to his teammates. 

I don't really know what's he like in the comics, but i'm sure he's not as awful as he's in the game.
I know you guys said you are finished with 3* characters, but maybe you'd like to take a look at Sentry and make him at least on Vision's level of power ( who is second worst 3* in the game after Sentry ).
Tagged:

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    Vision has always received an unfair reputation. He was brilliant when I was transitioning from 2* to 3*. He needs to tank a lot of colours to be effective, so he's useful when boosted or when playing against comparable opponents. I think his powers had been changed or at least fixed once due to a bug already. So, I doubt they will try to change him again
    Vision is one of those characters who can be great if they're one of your first champs in a Tier, but if you get them after you've already got a bunch of other, stronger characters, they don't really do much. 3* Captain Marvel is another like that.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sentry and X-Force Wolverine used to be meta until they were nerfed to garbage tier. Same with Ragnarok.

Buffs to them would be nice.
  • Kletvar
    Kletvar Posts: 91 Match Maker
    edited December 2019
    I know about Sentry bomb.
    What's the story behind X-Force Wolverine ? 

And, to be honest, i don't think they'll change something to Sentry. I just thought of giving them an idea about it and blowing off some steam (that was caused by his PVP event) in the process.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they do re-work Sentry (lol!) then just leave Sacrifice untouched because I do enjoy the enemy AI killing themselves every single time they can with that.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kletvar said:

And, to be honest, i don't think they'll change something to Sentry. I just thought of giving them an idea about it and blowing off some steam (that was caused by his PVP event) in the process.
    XFW's black used to gather AP I'm told. Not sure if there were health regen changes too or if i'm mis-remembering OML there.
  • TPF Alexis
    DAZ0273 said:
    If they do re-work Sentry (lol!) then just leave Sacrifice untouched because I do enjoy the enemy AI killing themselves every single time they can with that.
    Especially in Webbed Wonder, where it always makes me think he got food poisoning from someone's potato salad that got left out too long or something ;)
  • Kletvar
    Yeah, yeah. Leaving "Sacrifice" untouched so the enemy Sentry can kill itself is good to me hahahaha.

XFW's black power gathering ap was broken. 
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Kletvar said:

XFW's black used to gather AP I'm told. Not sure if there were health regen changes too or if i'm mis-remembering OML there.
    His Yellow was a bit weaker (but still usually a full heal, anyway)
    His Black did a little better than half the damage it currently does, but gathered the AP for the destroyed Tiles
    His Green did roughly triple the damage it currently does and only costed 6 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2019
    His Black did a little better than half the damage it currently does, but gathered the AP for the destroyed Tiles
    That sounds like a much better character. Too bad it was changed.

To OP:

You said you don't know Sentry from the Comics, so you probably won't care for my explanation, but in the Comics Bob Reynolds was a cosmic level powerful superhero, but mentally unstable. At the same time as he is a powerful ally, he is also a liability, which I think the game's mechanics represent perfectly.

If he were to be reworked, I believe something like 3* Hulk and 4* Carnage Red would be the best. He does X damage to the enemy team and, if your team has more than Y Red or less than Z Green, deals W damage to his allies as well.

You could always pair him with Kamala Khan and self-healers though. I suggest you try him at 5/5/3 with KK (5/3/5) and IM40 (3/5/5). I think you will be very happy.
  • TPF Alexis
    Jacklag said:

To OP:

You said you don't know Sentry from the Comics, so you probably won't care for my explanation, but in the Comics Bob Reynolds was a cosmic level powerful superhero, but mentally unstable. At the same time as he is a powerful ally, he is also a liability, which I think the game's mechanics represent perfectly.

Really, I think the major issue is that he's a 3*. Cosmic level characters never feel right at that point.
  • Jacklag
    edited December 2019
    True, but in this game, MCU Captain America is a 5*, the same char wielding Mjolnir is a 4*. So power level doesn't seem to have been taken in consideration. Within his tier, Sentry is really dangerous.
  • IIAlonditeII
    Jacklag said:

To OP:

Really, I think the major issue is that he's a 3*. Cosmic level characters never feel right at that point.
    Since they announced the first 5*, I've been hoping and praying for a 5* Sentry. I really believed after my 3 year hiatus, I'd return to him being in the game. That didn't happen.

I'd love a Cloak and Dagger type 5* Sentry, being Sentry and Void.

Something like

Robert Reynolds:

Sentry-
    Black: Passively destroys Red Tiles at the start of each turn. Actively does good damage, vents off Red AP.
    Yellow: Self Damage, makes Strike Tiles. Gains Red AP passively if takes a certain damage threshhold.
    Red: Passive: Transform into the Void if you have over X Red AP at any point (not just beginning/end of turn).

Void
    Black: Interrupts opponents when they make a Red match, damaging both teams before allowing the opponent to complete their turn.
    Yellow: Massive nuke, vents Red AP.
    Red: Passive: Transform back into Sentry if you go under X Red AP at any point. Active (very high cost): Massive nuke to enemy team, small AOE to own team.
  • Kletvar
    Jacklag said:

To OP:

If he were to be reworked, I believe something like 3* Hulk and 4* Carnage Red would be the best. He does X damage to the enemy team and, if your team has more than Y Red or less than Z Green, deals W damage to his allies as well.

You could always pair him with Kamala Khan and self-healers though. I suggest you try him at 5/5/3 with KK (5/3/5) and IM40 (3/5/5). I think you will be very happy.
    I know he is some kind of schizo and that his actions have consequences probably because of the inner fight with his dark side. I think that his dark side feeds every time he uses an ability or something like that. That's the only thing i know about him. So, not a lot of knowledge for him :D 

I understand that his powers (in the game) are damaging everyone because of his mental illness, but i think that the devs could at least make them not as much damaging.

I tried him with KK ( for her heal), but Sentry was powered up because it was his PVP event, so he dealt damage more than KK could heal. Enemies also were a lot sadistic (Every second team was running Sentry and powered up Thanos), so KK couldn't really do a lot. 

So, the problem with Sentry's powers is actually while his PVP is active. Out of his PVP, no one really plays him.
  • Kletvar
    Jacklag said:

To OP:

Since they announced the first 5*, I've been hoping and praying for a 5* Sentry. I really believed after my 3 year hiatus, I'd return to him being in the game. That didn't happen.

Something like

Robert Reynolds:

Sentry-
    Black: Passively destroys Red Tiles at the start of each turn. Actively does good damage, vents off Red AP.
    Yellow: Self Damage, makes Strike Tiles. Gains Red AP passively if takes a certain damage threshhold.
    Red: Passive: Transform into the Void if you have over X Red AP at any point (not just beginning/end of turn).

Void
    Black: Interrupts opponents when they make a Red match, damaging both teams before allowing the opponent to complete their turn.
    Red: Passive: Transform back into Sentry if you go under X Red AP at any point. Active (very high cost): Massive nuke to enemy team, small AOE to own team.
    5* Sentry&Void. Yes ! That would be a great one character "duo". Great suggestion for powers too.
  • Jacklag
    IIAlonditeII said:

Something like

Robert Reynolds:

Sentry-

Void
    Get this straight to Speculation and Concepts the board, mate.
  • ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    I don't get the hate for vision. His AOE is good, moves are cheap. 

But yes I think everyone agrees that sentry is an absolute garbage worthless cover. No point in fixing him though as there is a million other covers. 
  • IIAlonditeII
    Jacklag said:
    IIAlonditeII said:

Something like

Robert Reynolds:

Sentry-

Void
    Get this straight to Speculation and Concepts the board, mate.
    Think there's any point / merit to that? I don't wanna waste the time if the Devs don't check it for ideas / inspiration.

ROY84 said:
    I don't get the hate for vision. His AOE is good, moves are cheap. 

But yes I think everyone agrees that sentry is an absolute garbage worthless cover. No point in fixing him though as there is a million other covers. 
    Well, the problem with Vision is just timing is all. Consider this: His Blue and Yellow power want him to be out front. They're not valuable at all if he can't tank those colors, since Heavy requires him to make the match to get the damage, and Light requires him to be tanking to get the reduced damage out of it. This means he's only good while you're in the 3-Star Tier, or if he's the only one on those colors, because once he's not tanking he only has 1 power. And even while you're in the 3-Star Tier, there's other characters who end up tanking those colors over him due to their match damages being shuffled compared to his. His design is interesting and (in a vacuum), quite good. But in practice, if you can't get him out front...well, there's no reason to include him at all. 

A simple, but effective rework that would open him up to (a little) more play at least would just be making him tank his colors automatically while he has altered density.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Sentry is fine. His yellow makes a nice strong Strike and his Red does top-tier team damage. His green makes a ludicrous number of CDs which can be used to hilarious effect with various triggers.

Vision is fine too, for the reasons mentioned above. I suppose they could buff him to auto-tank, but give a little thought to team composition and he can dish out a decent chunk of damage (when powered up). Team him with Vulture. *shrug*
  • Jacklag
    Many characters are fine. The point of many complaints is that fine is not the same as good. There is only a handful of 3*s that are actually good. Many of them you never see in 3* PvP because they are just fine.