So, to be perfectly clear: Everyone hates update 191?

ROY84
ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
edited November 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Looking around it appears at best this update is tolerated with those hoping they'd tweak it to something even remotely comparable to bonus heroes. 

At worst people are foaming at the mouth because they decided to reduce your pull rate dramatically from an already poor pull rate. 

That's the impression I'm getting at least. Is there anyone out there that thinks this system is somehow an improvement? 

What exactly does it improve?

Because all I can tell is that my pull rate just dropped significantly for everything. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    If you were 12/13 in the BH era and not 4/4/4, you only had a decent chance to pull that cover normally if you were pulling in Latest at odds of 1 in 63 , in Classic the odds were 1 in 714. Getting a BH (and the missing cover at that) had a chance of 1 in 420 for both Latest and Classic.
    In that situation you'd be better of not to select that character as BH (in Latest). In Classic the odds favoured the Bh over a normal pull.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hated rng on top of rng for 5* bonus heros. This eliminates both rng and dry spells with bonus heros. 

I like that I know exactly where I am on my progress for a character I actually enjoy/want to play with. Even with the "lower" (not all players had equal rng) percentage of getting extra characters I feel the tradeoff for a sure thing is worth it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like targeted heroes because I can finally control the build of my favourite 4* who is at 9 covers with 5 saved covers. Now, I'm 60% away from getting the extra covers and I did not hoard at all.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait.....have bonus heroes gone away? Has the Shards system replaced Bonus Heroes!?
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Wait.....have bonus heroes gone away? Has the Shards system replaced Bonus Heroes!?
    Yes
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I like this system so far.  Ive earned a few 3*s through its, and a few 4*s.  The color of cover has never been an issue (obviously), where before, my RNG is horrendous.  I would usually get 5, and keep hitting that same color... And thats even if i got a bonus hero.

I understand what the main arguments are, but thats always in a perfect situation (queue Weezer).  Quite often, that doesnt happen.  And as this shards stuff goes on, it might happen less and less, because shards can always help you keep your build even among all 3 colors, aiming for a 4/4/4 before getting that 13th.  Probably wont have too many situations where people go 0/4/9, or anything similar, since we can direct our progression now.
  • ROY84
    PiMacleod said:
    I like this system so far.  Ive earned a few 3*s through its, and a few 4*s.  The color of cover has never been an issue (obviously), where before, my RNG is horrendous.  I would usually get 5, and keep hitting that same color... And thats even if i got a bonus hero.

I understand what the main arguments are, but thats always in a perfect situation (queue Weezer).  Quite often, that doesnt happen.  And as this shards stuff goes on, it might happen less and less, because shards can always help you keep your build even among all 3 colors, aiming for a 4/4/4 before getting that 13th.  Probably wont have too many situations where people go 0/4/9, or anything similar, since we can direct our progression now.
    Somehow I don't believe you earned "a few" 4* covers with this system. Unless in the last 2 days you've opened 400 heroic tokens. Or some absurd mixed equivalent. 

I literally horded everything I can get for a week, which was a lot,  and still haven't gotten a single 4* and what was once a 20-30 3* pull was reduced to a handful. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    ROY84 said:
    PiMacleod said:

Somehow I don't believe you earned "a few" 4* covers with this system. Unless in the last 2 days you've opened 400 heroic tokens. Or some absurd mixed equivalent. 

I literally horded everything I can get for a week, which was a lot,  and still haven't gotten a single 4* and what was once a 20-30 3* pull was reduced to a handful. 
    The shard system was rumored for months so it's possible for someone to have decided to hoard everything (many did) for quite a while.

I had a few LTs, 340ish CP and some Heroics and had one Extra 4 on the first day.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You don't need to open 400 heroics to earn a few 4* covers. You need to open only 27 Classic or LTs to get a 4* cover.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either.  It just smooths the RNG bell curve into a single number.  So, in the grand scheme of things, that's a positive.  But, it also introduces other problems like the "moving target" issue where you could invest shards for a few months into a character, randomly draw the character anyway, and regret that you can't transfer that progress to a different character.

It doesn't really solve anything for dilution, because it is the same rate (or slightly worse?) as bonus heroes, which didn't solve it either.  So, it is different, but not better.  

I guess, for me to hate it, I would have had to thought it would fix some problems.  I never anticipated that the devs would actually give us anything that would fix the problems.  The real fix would be to be more generous with character acquisition, and I know that will never happen, despite how many years you've been clicking that "I do not feel my rate of progress matches my time investment" on the survey.
  • mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

At the 3* level, the only characters I ever had bonused were ones that were about to give CP, an LT, or a 4* cover when I got my next cover for them.  This change effectively closes that loop as a means of accumulating resources - I'll likely randomly pull the 3* cover I want, or it will appear in Deadpool's Daily, before getting enough shards.  So it seems like choosing any favorite characters is basically a waste, and I might as well let 3* shards accumulate at random (at least, in most cases).

At the 4* or 5* level, the jury's still out for me.  I suspect that in the long term this change will benefit me at the 5* level (I currently have about 10 5*s championed, and a bunch at 9-12 covers).  At the 4* level I really don't know.  I have about a half-dozen 4*s I haven't championed yet, and normally I would have had them bonused and probably gotten roughly 1 bonus cover ever 10 days or so.  If I continue to accumulate 4* covers through shards at about the same rate, but I can choose which color I get, cool - that's an improvement.  If my rate slows down, booooooo.

But I'm not sure how it'll land.  Right now this change seems to create more problems (slower and less directed 3* growth rate, generally more clicking) than it fixes (you get to choose the cover you want), but in the long term it might work out?
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    My biggest issue, as mentioned above, is that this doesnt solve the actual problem.  I'm still getting approximately the same number of extra usable covers as before.  If shards are added to progression rewards in a substantial way then I'm cool with this system.  Bonus points if they allow me to buy shards with iso.

Oh yeah and the extra clicks are awful.
  • ROY84
    bluewolf said:
    ROY84 said:
    PiMacleod said:

The shard system was rumored for months so it's possible for someone to have decided to hoard everything (many did) for quite a while.

I had a few LTs, 340ish CP and some Heroics and had one Extra 4 on the first day.
    That's fair. Still that's a lot to use up for a single 4* and we haven't even talked 5* 3 shards for a LT? ****.