R190 Release Notes (11/5/19)

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator

Hi Everyone -

Here are the Release Notes for the R190 Update.

R190

"Dunadd Hill Fort"

What's Changed

• Players can no longer avoid downloading the daily patch. This is important to avoid game-breaking bugs.
  • Fixed a bug where the health of bosses were not always displayed correctly on the map.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 983 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2019
    Options
    It's Wolfsbane!
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    It's Wolfsbane!
    Yeah, posting the hint of a Scottish place  after posting the rundown of a Scottish character... Sort of put the cart before the horse with this one.

Unless, that's what they want us to think.

Dunadd Hill Fort could be Kilmartin Glen.  Stealth release of Jesse Kilmartin from Mutant X confirmed!

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unless, that's what they want us to think.

That was how I wanted them to release Dazzler.   Post spoilers and in-game cover art for a totally different character but then when you actually rostered them, SURPRISE IT’S DAZZLER!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,341 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope that the boss bug fix means that another one is coming soon.....

I wonder who was able to avoid downloading the daily patch.  It just happens for me, no choice in the matter.  Maybe it's a Steam thing.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,558 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2019
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I hope that the boss bug fix means that another one is coming soon.....

I wonder who was able to avoid downloading the daily patch.  It just happens for me, no choice in the matter.  Maybe it's a Steam thing.
    I was able to avoid it sometimes on my Android phone. I don't remember the conditions that made it possible. Eventually, it would download, but I could play for a long while without.

My Kindle, on the other hand, wouldn't let me play until I updated. 
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    My son avoided one of the patches all together and it messed up the essentials for both daily deadpool and the recent alliance event.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    Maybe it's a Steam thing.
    Leave us out of this mess.

But no, you could avoid getting the update in the Steam client but the game wouldn't let you login in until you updated.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    daily patch != Rxxx update

the latter could (and can?) be avoided for about 1? day.

the former is what kills your PVP red nodes once a day when you just want to enter the open game and it goes to the loading screen.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,341 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    supergarv said:

the former is what kills your PVP red nodes once a day when you just want to enter the open game and it goes to the loading screen.

Once a day?  I wish it was only once a day...... darn app resets so often.
  • supergarv
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    supergarv said:

I should rephrase to „at least once a day“ ;)

The game also restarts when you‘re out of RAM. On iOS, opening the stock Camera app for example kills MPQ. Which is why I rarely take pictures with my cam, godlady knows how many times I‘ve lost a paused match this way.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    supergarv said:
    bluewolf said:
    supergarv said:

The game also restarts when you‘re out of RAM. On iOS, opening the stock Camera app for example kills MPQ. Which is why I rarely take pictures with my cam, godlady knows how many times I‘ve lost a paused match this way.
    The newest version of iOS has an issue with multitasking. Typical Apple.
  • supergarv
    Options
    It‘s been like this for me since forever, not only recent iOS. I started noticing this when I got into PVP (and wanting to keep cached nodes) with my iPhone 6 Plus.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    supergarv said:
    bluewolf said:
    supergarv said:

What amuses* me about that is that is that back around MacOS6 or so, they made some fundamental breakthroughs on keeping multiple applications running at once. But they seem to have forgotten all that.
    *"Amuses" could be equally read as "frustrates" in this context :/
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    supergarv said:
    bluewolf said:
    supergarv said:

What amuses* me about that is that is that back around MacOS6 or so, they made some fundamental breakthroughs on keeping multiple applications running at once. But they seem to have forgotten all that.
    It looks like they've fixed it in the newest version in beta testing now. Take a look at "www.macrumors.com/2019/11/06/apple-seeds-ios-13-3-public-beta-1/" (<-- I tried to make that a non-active address, hopefully it works...) 
    with the gist being: "The iOS 13.3 update also addresses a multitasking issue where iOS 13.2 users were seeing poor RAM management that caused apps like YouTube and Safari to reload more frequently than normal. After installing iOS 13.3, affected users are now seeing fewer refreshes when accessing these apps, doing another task, and then opening them again."

Sorry for the off-topic post but it is definitely relevant to this strand of the thread...
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm not sure you'd really want to go back to the days of classic Mac OS though.  You'd probably find it far less resilient than you remember.  It relied on cooperative multitasking, so it was possible for one application to monopolise the CPU to the exclusion of all others. It also lacked memory protection, so there was nothing stopping one application from overwriting the code or data of another running application.

It worked fairly well if you only ran relatively bug free well behaved applications, but that's the best case scenario for a system like that.  You certainly wouldn't be able to implement the kind of application confinement systems found on modern mobile operating systems, which is a core part of what makes their app stores relatively safe to use.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:

I'm not sure you'd really want to go back to the days of classic Mac OS though.  You'd probably find it far less resilient than you remember.  It relied on cooperative multitasking, so it was possible for one application to monopolise the CPU to the exclusion of all others. It also lacked memory protection, so there was nothing stopping one application from overwriting the code or data of another running application.

It worked fairly well if you only ran relatively bug free well behaved applications, but that's the best case scenario for a system like that.  You certainly wouldn't be able to implement the kind of application confinement systems found on modern mobile operating systems, which is a core part of what makes their app stores relatively safe to use.

Oh, it absolutely had issues. I have no desire to return to the days when 4Mb of RAM was awesome and I had no idea how I'd ever fill a 40Mb hard drive :) It's become far better in so many ways. It's just kind of odd when that leads to something that feels to the user like a step back in some way.