A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Won’t blame ya for leaving. Waiting for my own good bye as well after 4+ years. Thanks for compiling this.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Bummer, as I find your writing to be first-rate and your comments to be consistently entertaining. And this guide has been a serious boon for me in transitioning to 4* (though now I'm pretty well into it and making my very own decisions!).

Good luck to you.
  • macgawel
    macgawel Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Thanks for this guide !
    It was full of good things, and moreover it was really pleasant to read (for a not native speaker)...
  • Ishalan
    Ishalan Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Jarvind I am sorry to see you leave.  I found your rankings to be very informative.  I am not asking for myself, but is there anyone you would consider giving access to your list so they can keep updating it.  I think it would be a shame to let all your hard work just end.  I hope you consider it and regardless thank you for all your hard work.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have all the 4* minus Nebula and Emma champed and it’s a the tier I play exclusively in so I wouldn’t mind taking it over/updating if he was looking for that. The only issue is I would make some very very big changes to the rankings.  I respect his opinion just disagree with a lot (like how Grocket can be considered not sssential in the 4* tier??). I would also have to change some of the commentary to reflect the rankings. I often thought of doing my own, but THAT many write ups is no small feat. I started but man is it a real time suck to do from scratch!
  • Yepyep
    edited August 2018
    I have all the 4* minus Nebula and Emma champed and it’s a the tier I play exclusively in so I wouldn’t mind taking it over/updating if he was looking for that. The only issue is I would make some very very big changes to the rankings.  I respect his opinion just disagree with a lot (like how Grocket can be considered not sssential in the 4* tier??). I would also have to change some of the commentary to reflect the rankings. I often thought of doing my own, but THAT many write ups is no small feat. I started but man is it a real time suck to do from scratch!
    Absolutely MONSTER task, no question. That's one of the reasons people are so very, very grateful to those who undertake it. You're brave to volunteer even maintaining/revising the extant work.

One possibility, w/r/t changes to Jarvind's work, would be just to leave it in amber as a still-valid point of view and run a parallel list with your suggested rankings and comments. It would save a lot of work while also preserving Jarvind's legacy work product, effort, and voice.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey dudes, ( @Daredevil217 @Yepyep @Ishalan )I haven't stopped lurking just yet so I just saw the above comments.

For personal-pride-slash-legacy reasons, I'd kind of prefer to leave the guide as-is. However, since the document is viewable by anyone, you should be able to simply copy, paste, and then make changes as you see fit. If someone does decide to take up the mantle and finds that this doesn't work for some reason, shoot me a PM. I can't promise I'll respond right away but I'd be happy to help.

For the little character icons, you can copy and paste those from the MPQ wiki: http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary

The ability color flags can simply be copied and pasted within the document - I can't even remember where I got them originally.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    For the little character icons, you can copy and paste those from the MPQ wiki: http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Legendary

The ability color flags can simply be copied and pasted within the document - I can't even remember where I got them originally.
    The icons/flags used to all be part of the old forum code.  The standard format of the PVE threads back then all used the flags, character icons and award icons.  Unfortunately the current forum only has generic emoji's instead of the game-related icons.

Here's a sample of the old threads FWIW:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/49470/pve-webbed-wonder-2016-08-22-to-2016-08-25/
    (I honestly don't remember who started doing these, but the format was fairly standardized over time--this is just one of mine since it was the easiest to find a link to)

Just an FYI in case this is useful to anyone doing new character ranking updates.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Is there a similar ranking of 5*s?
  • ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    neat although I can't help but think medusa is nothing without carnage.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    She’s great with rocket and a guardian or kitty. Great against sentries too because of her ap generation and healing.
  • ROY84
    ROY84 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Bubba3210 said:
    She’s great with rocket and a guardian or kitty. Great against sentries too because of her ap generation and healing.
    Well yeah, I'm not saying she's absolutely useless although I incidentally implied it. I just mean she has a very specific set she's good against and doesn't stand alone very well. Some characters just can decimate no matter the pairing, the pairing just helps if it's done right.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great with Okoye, because Okoye's black passive boosts Medusa's CD tile. Some people with multiple champed 5*s even choose to climb in Sim using Thorkoye/Medusa, and it's a very viable team. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Medusa was my first 4* champ, and one of my mainstays long before I had Carnage anywhere near usable. Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever run them together, tho I use her against Carnage all the time. She's still one of the few 4* I use regularly, partnered with Grockitty for PvE or Okoye in PvP. She can work well with or against anyone who generates APS tiles easily. Sentries, as mentioned, she's close to a hard counter against. Plays very well with either Fist/Cage pairing. Medusa/Wasp/Falcon was my go-to until I was well into the 4* tier. That's just the ones I've regularly used. She's a great character, with a ton of potential.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    @ROY84, I wasn’t insinuating that but see how it could be mistaken. She was one of my first champs too and she made many around her better. She’s great for guaranteed damage each round too. I barely use her now that I’ve outgrown her but she still gets used unlike most 4*.  She definitely makes carnage on your team very tolerable.
  • Yepyep
    ROY84 said:
    neat although I can't help but think medusa is nothing without carnage.
    It's funny -- I was just yesterday considering making a new thread asking which toon has the best character design -- and Medusa is in the top 2-3, for sure (certainly in the 4* tier). She makes almost every other character better and has saved my sorry bacon with her burst heal and passive damage hundreds of times (at least!). Just go against her teamed up with her husband and dog and see how you do... Incredible with Okoye, Hawkguy, Rockets and Groots, any red and yellow users (especially those for whom she tanks), the list goes on and on.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll tell you what, fellas, it was certainly surprising getting a notification about a post on a forum I haven't looked it in nearly a year.
  • BuzzedLightbeer
    BuzzedLightbeer Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Jarvind said:
    I'll tell you what, fellas, it was certainly surprising getting a notification about a post on a forum I haven't looked it in nearly a year.
    Ha!  Well, since you already got a notification recently, please forgive one more.  Just wanted to say thanks - I’m very new to posting here, but have read things for informational assistance a multitude of times over the years.  This was a very helpful guide for me, and I thank you for having put the work into it.  Hope you’re enjoying “retirement.”
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    I wish this could be updated with how the game is now and with so many new 4* added in.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I wish this could be updated with how the game is now and with so many new 4* added in.
    There is another good, frequently updated list, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vr-_nB2A4Zfb-pNd1fnqYvthimEQrOFzjdL50zF6zs0/edit?usp=sharing