Options
2»

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Viorala wrote:
    Who is coming up with the lingo, stop.

This is the earliest example of the word 'tank' (or any variation of 'tank') being used in this context that I could find:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=696&p=6837&hilit=tank*#p6837
    Ladder attacked me 3 times in the last 10 mins icon_e_sad.gif

Please give us another Lightning Rounds. I need to tank my matchmaking score. I want Spidey badly and have no usable 3-stars.

I don't understand why a 3-star tourney rewards with 3-stars. IMO you have to allow people to move up, i.e. 1-star rewards 2-stars, 2-star rewards 3-star, etc. The people with the best chance of winning are those with max level Spidey already.

What's interesting is that judging from the post, the concept of lowering your MMR during LRs sounds like it's common at this point, but the word 'tank' to describe it is not.
  • Interesting, but we need to come up with new words, stat. EX:

Tanking your MMR - Fuzzle. "I need to fuzzle this tourney or I'll barely make the top 25."

Rubberbanding - Schling. "I joined the event late to take advantage of the shling."
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Viorala wrote:
    Ruval wrote:
    I've starting to get more familiar with the lingo of the game - tanking being a common one that throws people off.

What is rubberbanding in the PvE events?

Oh man, OFF TOPIC but the lingo here pushes my buttons. Who is coming up with the lingo, stop. It's the equivalent of Lazy Thor for gamer speak. I mean, coming from the MMO world tanking means taking all the damage so naturally before I found the forum I called the character on the team taking the most tiles and thus damage "tanking". I see I'm not the only one here who does that.

And rubberbanding meant an fps problem where you ended up in the spot you were seconds earlier, basically rubberbanding time and space with the game because of internet problems. I don't even see a relation from what the situation is in MPQ PVE to the term rubberbanding.

Find new words or make one up, geez guys.

Just because MMOs and before them RPGs used the term tank for a meatshield does not mean that they have an exclusive hold on it.

The tanking term used here is a common sporting reference. look at the NBA, teams tank for a better draft pick. That's the definition of tanking in use here for exactly the same kind of behaviour.
    Movies have also been known to 'tank' at the box office, which is again the same use of the term.

Have a good read of this, then come back and lecture us more on laziness instead of breadth of vocabulary.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match_fixing

As for rubberbanding, it is the act of catching up faster when you fall behind. Just because you've only seen it applied from network latency in FPS games isn't our fault. Many car racing games have rubberbanding algorithms where cars that are behind get a built in speed boost to allow them to catch up. the most blatant of these would have been the Daytona arcade machines. Mario Kart was also apparently notorious.
  • Ok but...this is like the opposite of "breadth of vocabulary." Breadth of vocabulary = 1000 different words for snow. The opposite (there is a term for that but I forget what it is) = one word meaning two or more different situations in the same product or industry. Particularly since people are still using "tanking" to describe taking all the damage in addition to the MMR thing. And are we in a racing game or are we in a game that uses tank, dps, and healer to describe the roles, albeit loosely.

Gamer speak never evolved to a near full language like txtspeak, that's ok because that would create another gatekeeping function to turn the non-nerds away and that's not what the industry needs. But I mean, grabbing a word already in use? That's Lazy Thor thinking.

Although it's not as bad as when stupid kids on World of Warcraft would spout homophobia one minute and then call themselves "twinks" the next. Whoever implanted that term in WOW was a genius.
  • From the perspective of an English speaking non-gamer the first time I read a statement like: "I need to tank my rating" I immediately understood what that meant.

On the other hand "Thor is the best 2* tank" was something I needed to look up.

Now that I know both meanings it doesn't phase me at all because I haven't seen (and can't think of a context) in which I would be confused as to which meaning of the word is being used:

I need to tank/I need a tank.
    Who is your tank on that team?/How are you going to tank with that team?
    I'm trying to tank but my tank keeps dying! (Assuming some knowledge of defensive teams there).

I think the English speaking part is probably the most important thing here. And if someone isn't then the word tank is probably not their biggest issue with this forum.
  • Rubberbanding with no context makes me imagine something bouncing back and forth but generally coming back to center.

Drafting or Coattailing seem more fitting for the phenomenon described.

As for a replacement for tank? Plummet? Bottom out? nah none of those have the same ring to them

Lamb or Lambing: Offering up a sacraficial team to get killed repeatedly, for the purpose of adjusting your MMR

Yes I know zero chance of the lingo changing now that its part of the system but enjoying the word exercise~
  • Rubberbanding with no context makes me imagine something bouncing back and forth but generally coming back to center.

Yeah, and I think that works so well for me because in one of the earlier events when rubberbanding was introduced there was a crazy yo-yo effect:

"I'm in first? Well now all the missions are 1 point." Waits a few minutes... "Someone passed me, yay for 500 point missions again! Darn, now I'm in first again." Waits a few minutes...

Plus IceIX used the term so I didn't have a chance to associate it with anything else.

Yeah, and I think that works so well for me because in one of the earlier events when rubberbanding was introduced there was a crazy yo-yo effect:

"I'm in first? Well now all the missions are 1 point." Waits a few minutes... "Someone passed me, yay for 500 point missions again! Darn, now I'm in first again." Waits a few minutes...

Plus IceIX used the term so I didn't have a chance to associate it with anything else.

Haha thanks, I haven't been around that long so I never saw such a pronounced bouncing effect, just a try to catch the leader but never quite get that close effect icon_e_smile.gif
  • One of the dictionary definitions of tank is to lose intentionally. It's not gamer lingo.

Also, if it were, a campaign to change a term in popular use is doomed to failure.
  • Impulse wrote:
    Also, if it were, a campaign to change a term in popular use is doomed to failure.

Well that's just your negatorvosity talking.
  • Viorala wrote:
    Impulse wrote:

Well that's just your negatorvosity talking.

I prefer to think of it as realismorvosity ^.~
  • Question about the refresh for rubberbanding. Let's say the refresh period is 12 hours. I grind a node x3 times in 5 minutes, once after two hours & once more after 6 hours. Will that node return to maximum value 12 hours after I initially beat it or after 18 hours (when I beat it the last time)?
  • Every node has a number of stacks, (typically 5 or something like that, I haven't ground one down in a while).

Each stack you beat refreshes after 12 hours.

If you had a stack of:

If you beat the mission 3 x 5 in minutes, you'd be on stack 400 for the next battle. After 12 hours, you'd get back to 1000. However, if you played stack 400 2 hours after you beat the first three, you'd be on stack 200. After 12 hours, you'll have refreshed 3 stacks (400, 600, 800) but it will be 14 hours after you first played (12 hours after you last played) for stack 1000 to return.
  • jozier wrote:
    Every node has a number of stacks, (typically 5 or something like that, I haven't ground one down in a while).

Each stack you beat refreshes after 12 hours.

If you had a stack of:

If you beat the mission 3 x 5 in minutes, you'd be on stack 400 for the next battle. After 12 hours, you'd get back to 1000. However, if you played stack 400 2 hours after you beat the first three, you'd be on stack 200. After 12 hours, you'll have refreshed 3 stacks (400, 600, 800) but it will be 14 hours after you first played (12 hours after you last played) for stack 1000 to return.
    Thanks! Makes perfect sense.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ^ Doesn't take into account scaling, but that's it in it's simplest form.

EDIT: What i mean to say is that your values per play will vary based on outside forms like community performance. Right?
  • Jathro wrote:
    ^ Doesn't take into account scaling, but that's it in it's simplest form.

EDIT: What i mean to say is that your values per play will vary based on outside forms like community performance. Right?

Scaling is a different concept, it refers to battle difficulty going up.

Rubberbanding and refresh times are not really related except tangentially.

Rubberbanding gives you a multipler over the base score depending on how far you are from the leader.

If your base missions are 1000, 800, 600, 400, 200, and you are very far behind the leader and have a 10x rubberband, the missions would be worth 10,000, 8000, 6000, 4000, 2000. However as you get closer, your multiplier shrinks. After you finish fight 10,000, you might now only be a 9x multiplier, so the second fight is worth 7200. Now you're at 8x multiplier, next fight is 4800. And so on.