***** Gambit (Classic) *****

12346»

Comments

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    I've been having a lot of fun with him since champing, so I thought I'd make another video. Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGzZ8Jb_nk

• ESN91
    ESN91 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Hello,
    I just got Gambit’s 13th cover.
    could someone tell me what’s his best build to play in PVP ?
    Thanks a lot.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ESN91 said:
    Hello,
    I just got Gambit’s 13th cover.
    could someone tell me what’s his best build to play in PVP ?
    Thanks a lot.

Probably 3/5/5. There's lots of Gambits out there now, so you need to crank out as much as damage as possible as fast as possible.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Gambit's powerful, no doubt, but the straightforward nature of his design which makes him so lethal on defense also makes him kind of... boring? My lv255 5/3/5 Daredevil requires more decision-making and just feels much more fun to play.

In any case, it's nice to be part of the meta, at least for a little while.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any recommendations how to crawl through the required node for him if you’ve only got Black covers?

I was cursed with a bunch of Black covers, but not a single Red or Purple.  It’s a pain to try and can’t even use Deadpool Whales since I can’t use purple abilites and any time Gambit is under Deadpool, Deadpool jumps in front and dies first!!!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ said:
    Any recommendations how to crawl through the required node for him if you’ve only got Black covers?

I was cursed with a bunch of Black covers, but not a single Red or Purple.  It’s a pain to try and can’t even use Deadpool Whales since I can’t use purple abilites and any time Gambit is under Deadpool, Deadpool jumps in front and dies first!!!
    Ouch. Boosted Grocket is probably a good start. I have been using Nico to bump their strike tiles, but my Gambit is a low-level champion and does the heavy lifting with his match damage.  Iron Fist might work as a partner - you can spam his blue to protect their strike tiles and deal a lot of damage fast. Drax would boost the strike tiles, but will only be able to use his Black active which is unfortunate.
    America Chavez is probably the boosted fourstar that can make the most use out of a black-only Gambit, but I don't know if that is a viable option for you. She should be able to pump out crit tiles easily with Gambit's AP, and between crit tiles, strike tiles and Gambit's boosted match damage you should be able to do some nasty damage.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    1. Ask 3 deadpool teamup. Collect 14 teamup ap and you win
    2. Bring some special red-purple character, like PHX. Or you can try RG4 with Drax. Once gambit is dead, you can use red and purple power with lots of ap
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately 5 out of 6 Deadpool TU’s ended up being little off the top rather than whales.

Iron Fist worked well against Venom since his black transformed those Protect tiles limiting the damage of that Yellow.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are Gambit's Rajin' Cajun countdown tiles supposed to work while he's stunned?  I was using him as Meat Shield #2 (Old Man Logan, as always, is Meat Shield #1) for my node clears with Thanos.  With 11 purple AP, I activated his Ragin' Cajun ability to overwrite some of the symbiote special tiles.  When the first of the countdown tiles went off, it killed the enemy out in front.  Thanos snapped, and stunned the rest of both teams.  However, the tiles kept counting down and doing damage.  They ended up clearing the rest of the enemy team out, so it turned out to be a good thing.

Did they continue to count down just because they started to count down before he got stunned, and all three of the tiles counting down is one ability, rather than a separate ability for each tile?  Or is this not working the way it's supposed to?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe it is similar to this which was referred to in the latest release notes thread:

"Countdown tiles created by Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force)'s power Countdown for What will now be activated while Deadpool is stunned."

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Hey, Gambit fans. Just champed him (5* champ 14). What's his best build nowadays? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    I've just champed my Gambit, and I'm also kind of searching around for a decent build. For some reason I'm kind of hooked on him as a charge producer, and have him built at 5/5/3. I'm still looking around for good/fun things to do with him in that regard (I'm convinced Throg and Negasonic should have some kind of thing they can do with him), but wanted to inject a quirk I discovered into the historical record:

If you can throw Gambit airborne, his red/purple restriction is removed for the duration of his flight. There are only a few characters who can do that to their own allies offensively: Heimdall (his two allies in the air, leaving you free to swipe with his red pretty hard), Danver5 (can do it to a targeted ally, leaving you room for a perhaps purple or red using third?), Throg (does it to everyone, not useful here outside of damage dodging and AP generation), and Gwenpool, who could then use the purple for Sploits I guess. 

I've run Profe$$or X/Gambit (respecc'd to 5/3/5, this does seem the superior build)/Danver5, and it's like alright - yellow is hard to come by to get Gambit off the board if you can't use X's purple to make it. One fun thing to do here is to use X's purple on a blue tile to try and destroy some strikes to generate more yellow, but that's not the most spammable situation since it requires you to have tossed gambit and fired Danver5's red, and then waited however long that takes for it to create strikes on a row where there is a blue you can destroy.

I've also run Heimdall/Gambit/Vulture, which is a serviceable team actually. Vulture being airborne creates blue for Heimdall and incidental red for GAmbit, Heimdall tanks most things and makes powers cost less, and then when you do use Yellow to throw allies airborne, they create AP on their way back down and Heimdall has a power worth using on red at that point.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023

Putting this here for comparison, and also as a reference:

Gambit's previous moveset (his nerf on 26 July 2018) vs his unannounced buff (circa 29 December 2022). All numbers at lv450

GAMBIT OLD PURPLE - 11 AP
    Level 3: 3 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 8820 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles
    Level 4: 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 8820 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles
    Level 5: 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 10114 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles

GAMBIT NEW PURPLE - 8 AP
    Level 3: 3 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 6413 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles
    Level 4: 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 6413 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles
    Level 5: 3 2-turn Countdown tiles that deal 7354 damage, replaces enemy SAP tiles

GAMBIT OLD RED - 10 AP
    Level 3: Destroy up to 2 random Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 3881 for each Charged tile destroyed. Then create 2 Charged tiles
    Level 4: Destroy up to 2 random Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 4586 for each Charged tile destroyed. Then create 2 Charged tiles
    Level 5: Destroy up to 2 random Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 5410 for each Charged tile destroyed. Then create 2 Charged tiles

GAMBIT NEW RED - 8 AP
    Level 3: Deals 10607 + 1653 damage for each Charged tile (max 10). Converts all Charged tiles to basic tiles, then creates 3 Charged tiles. PASSIVE: at turn start, convert 1 Red or Purple basic tile to Charged
    Level 4: Deals 12705 + 1979 damage. Everything else same
    Level 5: Deals 15386 + 2397 damage. Everything else same

GAMBIT OLD BLACK - PASSIVE
    Level 3: At turn start, create 2-turn Repeater that generates 2 Purple and 2 Red AP. Allies may not fire Red or Purple abilities
    Level 4: Generates 2 Purple and 3 Red AP
    Level 5: Generates 3 Purple and 3 Red AP

GAMBIT NEW BLACK - PASSIVE
    Same as above, except tile is now Fortified at all levels