***** Gambit (Classic) *****

Options

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    D4Ni13 said:
    Not bad, but agaisnt 5* teams would it be good enough ?
    If you have a 340+ one boosted, sure.   A 479 Blade with Gambit will be really nasty.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have different stragegy. If 5 Gambit color would be purple/red/black. He could tank phoenix damage (purple, red and black).  So just use gambit with phoenix and let gambit die. The result is that phoenix will clean the board with many purple and red aps. The enemy would not like to kill phoenix before Gambit.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I was thinking about Gambit in the 5* meta (not that I'm playing there, but I can still look at synergy between abilities) and I came to the opposite conclusion for pairing him with Phoenix. That is, I think it's a bad pairing - at least for offense.

There's a better potential for pairing him with Logan and making use of his Strike tiles. Gambit's Purple creates multiple countdowns that deal damage when they expire, so each of those gets to dip into that Strike damage when they expire. The wording on Red is a bit ambiguous in the blog, but it destroys tiles, so even if the ability doesn't split its damage, there's still potential for cascades.

It looks like he's a decent partner for Black Bolt, as there's no overlap on active powers and BB will ensure that there's some Charged Tiles on the board. Gambit's passive accelerates AP in two pools to feed BB's Shout.

There's also some synergy with StarLord - charged tiles, only overlap on Purple which is probably SL's least desirable ability - and potentially Banner - if Gambit's Purple actively targets enemy special tiles first (as has been suggested) then you could combo with Smartest Guy in the Room to counter the drawback. I know, I know - not exactly top of the meta characters with those two, but that could be Demiurge's intent to get these guys a bit more play time.

• D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Options

I was thinking about Gambit in the 5* meta (not that I'm playing there, but I can still look at synergy between abilities) and I came to the opposite conclusion for pairing him with Phoenix. That is, I think it's a bad pairing - at least for offense.

There's a better potential for pairing him with Logan and making use of his Strike tiles. Gambit's Purple creates multiple countdowns that deal damage when they expire, so each of those gets to dip into that Strike damage when they expire. The wording on Red is a bit ambiguous in the blog, but it destroys tiles, so even if the ability doesn't split its damage, there's still potential for cascades.

It looks like he's a decent partner for Black Bolt, as there's no overlap on active powers and BB will ensure that there's some Charged Tiles on the board. Gambit's passive accelerates AP in two pools to feed BB's Shout.

There's also some synergy with StarLord - charged tiles, only overlap on Purple which is probably SL's least desirable ability - and potentially Banner - if Gambit's Purple actively targets enemy special tiles first (as has been suggested) then you could combo with Smartest Guy in the Room to counter the drawback. I know, I know - not exactly top of the meta characters with those two, but that could be Demiurge's intent to get these guys a bit more play time.

I think Gambit will be good both with and against Black Bolt or Star Lord, because he destroys charge tiles. He would work well with anybody who has no red & purple as well (Green Goblin, BSS). I even see him work well with Hawkeye, even though you lose his red, but generate more AP, and fortifies friendly tiles. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @OJSP
    Gambit limits the use of other players active powers in purple and red. You'd have to get Gambit downed, stunned, or airborne to use Phx purple.
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    OK just making sure. I have to wonder though, about a strategy that lasts just one battle, or requires a health pack after.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    Options
    OJSP said:
    OK just making sure. I have to wonder though, about a strategy that lasts just one battle, or requires a health pack after.
    Quite a lot of teams require health packs after, Hulkbombing, Sentrybombing, Hulkbuster, even Panther Thanos would eventually use some health packs.
    That is true. I had been thinking that having to get one of your characters KO'd every battle was not a great strategy, however if you're able to get Remy soaking most of that damage then coming out of a 5* fight with 2/3 at or near full health is a pretty decent prospect.
  • D4Ni13
    Options
    Hmm, just thought of it now, but would Mockingbird's Opportunist allow for a red active to be casted while Gambit is on the team ? Because if it does, you could essentially battery Mockingbird's Bombshell... 
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    We'll see, but Gambit's description sounds like it completely inhibits red or purple active powers by teammates - regardless if they were triggered by a passive. 
  • Rick_OShay
    Options
    OK, he is now in-game so we can see that his black passive at 1-cover earns 2 purple each turn. 
    At 2 covers he also earns 1 red per turn. 
    3 covers = 2 + 2
    4 covers = 3 + 2
    5 covers = 3 + 3

And this:
    "Gambit's allies may not fire powers the same color as Gambit's active powers".
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gambit black does not actually prevent allied red/purple from firing if he does not have any red/purple covers himself. So make a 0/0/5 dupe gambit and get 3 red and purple ap per turn. This is massive in pve and may even result in some kind of metagame shift
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Does the tile destruction on the red do damage outside of the bonus damage?  I'm looking at a player's 452 Gambit in-game, and his red power at 5 reads as

"Destroy up to 2 random Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 7698 damage for each Charged tile destroyed this way.  Then create 2 charged tiles."

So if there are no charged tiles, does this just destroy 2 normal tiles and deals the match damage associated with it? 
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does the tile destruction on the red do damage outside of the bonus damage?  I'm looking at a player's 452 Gambit in-game, and his red power at 5 reads as

"Destroy up to 2 random Charged or basic tiles, dealing an extra 7698 damage for each Charged tile destroyed this way.  Then create 2 charged tiles."

So if there are no charged tiles, does this just destroy 2 normal tiles and deals the match damage associated with it? 
    Yes. And generate the 2 AP, and create two Charged tiles.

Bring Black Bolt.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    Options

Based on the description, I believe that you deal match damage and gain AP for the tiles destroyed. That would include the normal bonus damage/AP that charged tiles provide, and damage is increased further for charged tiles.

All my PvE nodes are locked right now, and I can't take a 5* into Combined Arms, so I can't test this to confirm right now.

• D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    Options

Based on the description, I believe that you deal match damage and gain AP for the tiles destroyed. That would include the normal bonus damage/AP that charged tiles provide, and damage is increased further for charged tiles.

All my PvE nodes are locked right now, and I can't take a 5* into Combined Arms, so I can't test this to confirm right now.

I guess the strategy is to either destroy charged tiles if you have on board, or use the ability 2 times to destroy the ones you make from the first attempt. The damage on the 5* seems very good, and the fact that you can make 7AP relatively quickly based on his black, I think he's in a good spot. 

Now depending on the actual play, one has to decide if he uses 3 covers in black and take only 2 AP in both colors per turn, or reduce the damage on one of the other abilities. Since you cannot use other actives with those colors, I would say that the smart build (feel free to disagree) would be 5-5-3 (even though you lose some AP generation). 

It's "play more often with weaker damage" vs "play less often with bigger damage" kind of choice. 
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    Blackbolt is his best teammate.  In my early tests the creation of charged tiles almost assures that BB will fire his ~5k every turn, and nuking them for AP and damage is gross. By 5-6 turns in I was able to fire both Gambit's powers twice in a single turn.  As for a third 5*, I tried with Strange against goons (that was crazy fast), BSS against any OML team in PvP, and Thanos or Panther in any other generic config.  Riri also does well, making that red AP. 

But like the comics, he largely only helps himself.  He's not super complimentary. 
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Too bad Bolt wasn't in Gambit's vault. Instead, we got a neutered old codger with a busted colostomy bag :'( 
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Too bad Bolt wasn't in Gambit's vault. Instead, we got a neutered old codger with a busted colostomy bag :'( 
    Too bad Bolt isn't a mutant :wink:
  • D4Ni13
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Cthulhu the stats in description are reversed. Modern version has the classic stats & viceversa. 
  • CloudTactics
    CloudTactics Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Wow. Gambit is definitely next on the list to get nerfed. The next meta is going to be focused around him. He's able to fire off his red almost every other turn, and it's hitting for over 30k. As a fan of hawk eye+coulson+marvel, this addition has made me sad