Re balancing Health on 5* Characters

2»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kitty can dis-apperate though, so you could skin that HP pool as just her being hard to actually connect with

Wolverine has an adamantium skeleton, so anybody less than Iron Man should break their hand when punching him.
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Phoenix is specifically low health because of her green.  Characters with power that directly influence their survivability are generally lower in health.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread points out the double-edged sword of developing in a well known, much beloved IP like Marvel.

Everyone loves the characters and you get instant recognition and attention that many other similar games would love to have.

But everyone who knows the characters has an opinion and many think you're wrong as you try to balance fun gameplay vs trying to represent the character's known powers and strengths.

This issue has been a longstanding one since the first video games starring super heroes.

Anyone else ever play the old Superman arcade game and wonder why he cares if anyone shoots him with a laser (just one example)?  I remember early X-men video games where Wolverine died all the time and I'd think "but he can heal.  this is so lame".

For that matter, in this game, how is a Maggia guy (even 3 on a team) hitting Spider-man with a bullet, ever?  Or hurting one of the many bulletproof heroes?  And yet.  Stupid Muscles can destroy your team.

I mean, the problem is where do you stop when you are evaluating how well the game represents the characters and how powerful they are....

All that said, it seems like the older 5's should get a look on their match damage and health values if nothing else at this point.  (Not that it would make them any easier to draw from Classic Dilution Limbo.)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

I mean, the problem is where do you stop when you are evaluating how well the game represents the characters and how powerful they are....

Ah, the "Superman Rule"!

If Superman is on his own and facing an alien invasion fleet then he is immune to lasers.

However, if Superman has Hawkman with him, then Superman will suddenly lose half of his power level whilst Hawkman will suddenly become a raging whirlwind of alien beating fury.

You multiply this loss factor by every extra useless member of the Justice League, so far example:

Superman + Hawkman + Elongated Man + Blue Beetle = Superman will be KO'ed within 3 panels of appearing.

So apply this to Marvel Puzzle Quest and it means a world where a big green monster smashing the ground to pieces might result in a damaged toenail but a woman carelessly throwing a grenade can one-shot a god.